test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Anyone think Discovery has added to Sto's pop?

newromulan#1567 newromulan Member Posts: 230 Arc User
Lots of people were saying Star Trek Discovery would add players to the game. So far it does not look like too many new people are around. Maybe you are seeing something different?

Comments

• newromulan#1567 newromulan Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    References to illegal activities removed - BMR
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    (Moderated comments removed - BMR)

I wasn't impressed by the premiere. Probably won't buy the DVDs either. If I see it on Netflix or network TV I'll watch it. That's about it. Not a fan of how CBS handled this relaunch of Trek. Seemed more a blatant money-grab by executives there than any artistic endeavor.
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    I wasn't impressed by the premiere. Probably won't buy the DVDs either. If I see it on Netflix or network TV I'll watch it. That's about it. Not a fan of how CBS handled this relaunch of Trek. Seemed more a blatant money-grab by executives there than any artistic endeavor.

I'll drink to that (bolded). If they were showing it on the air or even for free, maybe - even on Netflix where all the other Treks from TOS to TAS are - but I refuse to pay and subscribe to 'All Access' just for one show. It just wouldn't be worth it to me in the long run.

The sad thing is that I actually do like what I've seen of DIS and wouldn't mind watching it if not for CBS's idiot decision...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,824 Arc User
    edited October 2017

Yeah...you said it. Feels like a blatant cash grab and nothing else...no real effort is put into it to make it good...only thing it has in common with star trek is the name...a attempt to turn Star Trek into generic sci fi the kiddies with small attention spans can oooh and aahhh over.

Their latest episode just screams attention grab...beer pong...f-ing beer pong...it's a joke of a show.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    My guess is the new fans coming solely from TRIBBLE installed the game, saw the real Klingons, asked themselves "what the hell? How could the devs fail to make proper Klingons as they call these guys? They have ridges on their skull but their outfits, their ships, their weapons, everything is wrong! Also, the TOS faction utterly sucks graphically, it feels like something from the 60s. Not gonna waste time on a product that can't get design right.", and then went back to the show.

That's a (semi-)joke, by the way.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    It's too early to make an assessment like this. Some people might have joined STO because of it, but the number will be really small.

It's more likely Discovery might have more of an impact on STO when people have seen entire seasons and STO actually has some of the ships later down the road.
  • orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    I've noticed a slight bump in the fleets I'm in, along with some players returning (only some mind, like I've noticed about two).

There are a number of reasons you won't see a bump in the player base. It's not really a good game and doesn't feel like Trek (people complain about Discovery not "feeling" like Trek, STO is 10 times worse). The player base is split between 97 queues. The player base is highly casual and the game is designed around people logging in for 30 minutes and then logging off. PC and console versions of the game. A lot of players left for a reason and won't return just because there's a new Trek series on.

Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    To me, the thing is, all the Discovery-bashing I'm hearing? I heard the DS9-bashing ('not Trek, it's on a space station!'); I heard the Voyager-bashing ('not Trek, there's no Klingons or Romulans, why the Delta Quadrant?'); I heard the Enterprise-bashing ('not Trek, everything looks wrong, why are the Vulcans the bad guys?'), I heard the 2009/Kelvin-bashing ('not Trek, too much lens flare and none of the characters are like they were in TOS'!); I was a little young to be able to remember any Next Generation-bashing, but I'm sure there was some of that too... Every time there's a new series, people always want to start out on how it's different and 'not Trek' for the first season or two, then once the show finds its footing and works out the kinks, they start enjoying it...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    To me, the thing is, all the Discovery-bashing I'm hearing? I heard the DS9-bashing ('not Trek, it's on a space station!'); I heard the Voyager-bashing ('not Trek, there's no Klingons or Romulans, why the Delta Quadrant?'); I heard the Enterprise-bashing ('not Trek, everything looks wrong, why are the Vulcans the bad guys?'), I heard the 2009/Kelvin-bashing ('not Trek, too much lens flare and none of the characters are like they were in TOS'!); I was a little young to be able to remember any Next Generation-bashing, but I'm sure there was some of that too... Every time there's a new series, people always want to start out on how it's different and 'not Trek' for the first season or two, then once the show finds its footing and works out the kinks, they start enjoying it...

To work out the kinks for TRIBBLE they'd have to:

* Blow up the ship and get a proper star fleet ship that doesn't look like an NX and D-7 had a baby together.
    * Have actual uniforms that don't look like JJ Trek.
    * Klingons be Klingons
    * Put it on regular TV and not some stupid cash grab web service.

That would be a good start to working out kinks. Christ if a fan made production can get it right like Star Trek Continues you would think the owners of the IP would actually get it right as well. I guess not however and further adds to my feeling that they really don't know how to take care of the IP anymore.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • keladorkelador Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    The show is terrible... most people who watch it are star trek fans already and are happy to suffer just because its a new star trek show (the only reason i watch it at this point is its on netflix and nothing else is out on monday!) but honestly I don't see it drawing in new people to the franchise its just that bad...
    edited October 2017
    Discovery has had a MUCH better start than any other series in the Trek franchise (other than TOS). Most of the whining is because it's not a 90's Star Trek show, with 90's Star Trek writing, sets and ship designs.

It's on par with the hate TNG got when it started (though TNG's first season was atrocious).
    Previously Alendiak
    I was a little young to be able to remember any Next Generation-bashing

From what I've read the bashing was initially often revolving around the cast. It was no immature sh*tstorm like you would see nowadays by any stretch however.

Fans wanted a continuation of TOS with the original crew at first, and internally actors like Gates McFadden and Denise Crosby were really unhappy with the relations of characters and their development. Crosby bailed because her character was meant to be a rather unimportant stereotype, and McFadden hated that she had to play a single-mom to an annoying child everybody has to treat like a super-genius. Which is also why season 2 had a different doctor in her place.
    The original TOS-cast first opposed the entire idea of TNG as well.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Well, I can't vouch for number of them, but I've seen at lest one guy named "Michael" flying a "U.S.S. Discovery" with a fleet name related to Discovery. :p So obviously there are some. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    patrickngo wrote: »
    orondis wrote: »
    Discovery has had a MUCH better start than any other series in the Trek franchise (other than TOS). Most of the whining is because it's not a 90's Star Trek show, with 90's Star Trek writing, sets and ship designs.

It's on par with the hate TNG got when it started (though TNG's first season was atrocious).

better what? better marketing? better Special Effects(tm)? It sure as hell didn't have better writing, direction, or acting. (except Michelle Yeoh, but her character's demise is pretty clearly a contractual thing, she must've talked to the writers and used the rider early.)

It was certainly the best financed Trek out there, even accounting for inflation adjusted dollars.

but...that part? you know, the part that isn't glamour shots and publicity stills? The Story part? Worst Ever. It actually beat out such gems as "Spock's Brain", "Insurrection" and "The Omega Glory" in terms of bad, **** writing, wooden acting, and phoned in direction. but, they do have beautiful space scene shots and plenty of Baysplosion action.

Yes it did, by a mile. Hell, by 100 miles.

The acting and writing in TNGs first season was pretty dire, even Patrick Stewart was struggling. It probably wasn't helped by the fact most characters had a personality and biography that could be written on the back of a matchbox. Some of them with marker pen. They actually managed to be even more 2-dimensional than Voyager's characters in season 1, which really takes some doing.

By now we'd have had the following stories from TNG:-
    Encounter at Farpoint
    The Naked Now
    Code of Honor
    The Last Outpost
    Where No One Has Gone Before
    Lonely Among Us
    Justice

None of them were even close to being classics.

I know nostalgia tells us it was magnificent, with magnificent characters and magnificent mind blowing stories. Encounter at Farpoint was an episode too long with some of the cringiest and unconvincing acting in Trek. Code of Honor was about a racist stereotype wanting to bone Yar. Justice is the sort of story that'd have you screaming at Archer for being a colossal dumbass. The Last Outpost was about introducing Klingon replacement, who were an analogyanvil for 80's conservative America (only their traditional values were about women not wearing clothes... because it's Gene's idea).

So yes, Discovery's first season blows TNG's out of the water.
    Previously Alendiak
    edited October 2017
    reyan01 wrote: »

Agreed.

Most argue that TNG didn't truly find it's feet until 'Best of Both Worlds', although to argue that point one almost needs to concede that 'Q Who' was a decent episode too (since it introduced us to the Borg in the first place).

Best of both worlds is the point of TNG that's generally remembered best I guess, and not only by fans but by the general TV-audience. Everybody seems to at least know that Picard was Locutus at some point.

Even though S1-S3 were overall not that great, some of the episodes were okay and I'd even rate Datalore, Conspiracy, The neutral zone, Unnatural selection, Contagion, Measure of a man, Samaritan snare, The ensigns of command, Who watches the watchers, The defector, The offspring and Hollow pursuits as pretty good, personally. There were just too many average-and-below episodes in-between.

• bossheisenbergbossheisenberg Member Posts: 603 Arc User
    Discovery is horrifically bad. Not a single likeable character, there's no camaraderie whatsoever, everyone is so combative and overly dramatic....the best part is the captain of the "Discovery" is a warmonger who doesn't care about science or discovering anything. What a joke of a show. Everything about it is all wrong in the worst way possible.
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    edited October 2017

Well said...
    From a fleet perspective whatever smaller bump received earlier now went back to regular numbers regarding Discovery fan lookers. On the contrary, I dare to say that it has done NOTHING to see more noobs in fleets or zone chat. Then again fall has always been the worst time for audiences in STO.​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    Personally, when I see a revamp of something I think of Battletech. Started in 1984.
    But then in 2002 it got a Mageknight treatment as "Mechwarrior Dark Age" as a faster paced collectable game in 2002; while old Battletech had to re-brand as "Classic Battletech". MWDA had a decent player base at first but then it died in 2008.

And the old Battletech is still going on and dropped the Classic. While it may not be a major money making game in the grand scheme of things (like Games Workshop?), but it's been chugging along for 33 yrs. Sadly, they had to follow the timeline set in MWDA which is kinda stupid.

The MWDA drew in all players for the eye-candy, fast & shallow game play. Only problem with that 'flighty' audience is they easily get distracted by the new shiny object and leave.
  • haxxsaw#9362 haxxsaw Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited October 2017

Well, CBS is a BUSINESS, that has to answer to their stock holders. It is the basic purpose of most businesses to make money.
  • tacticalrooktacticalrook Member Posts: 810 Arc User
    edited October 2017

Well, CBS is a BUSINESS, that has to answer to their stock holders. It is the basic purpose of most businesses to make money.

Seems like they're saying the strategy used to market the show has severely compromised its appeal.
    /channel_join grind
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    I came back, at least to the forums, because of it.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    orondis wrote: »
    So yes, Discovery's first season blows TNG's out of the water.
    I couldn't disagree more.

• jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    I am going to say no unless there was some type of advertisement for STO before, during or after the show. I have not watched ST:D so I don't know...
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,279 Arc User
    I was a little young to be able to remember any Next Generation-bashing
    It was no immature sh*tstorm like you would see nowadays by any stretch however.

you're right, it was worse

discovery's staff, at least, hasn't received any death threats yet (that i'm aware of)​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.