What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So the New Klingons

1234568»

Comments

• arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    hawku001x wrote: »
    trennan wrote: »

I see a couple of forehead folds. I'm going to say those are baby Klingon ridges. Just a couple of wee bumps, sprouting and making themselves known.

A minor change of complexion, haircut and uniform and the one in the back is a Romulan.......
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    ^^ Kirk and Kor are watching Star Trek: Discovery in that pic. ;)
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User

1x98e8.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    all this "not my Star Trek".... "stuff".... reminds me of something this woman said about why she quit acting:
    800px-Shirleytemple.jpg
    I forget the exact wording, but it was something about how the people who liked the movies she was in liked the characters she portrayed more than they actually liked her. So when she had to move on to playing other characters the "fans" lost interest.

So can you tell me the woman's name?

I'll give you a hint, she's less famous for this role:
    Fortapache1948.jpg
    than for this one:
    250px-Little_Princess_4.JPG

Somebody probably answered this, but that's Shirley Temple.
    And I believe that pic is from when she worked in Washington DC.

B)
    Post edited by daveyny on
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    trennan wrote: »

1x98e8.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

Looks more like they're watching DS9's "Blood Oath" and Kor doesn't recognize himself (I guess he'd also be shocked to have lived that long instead of dying in battle earlier).
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    daveyny wrote: »
    all this "not my Star Trek".... "stuff".... reminds me of something this woman said about why she quit acting:
    800px-Shirleytemple.jpg
    I forget the exact wording, but it was something about how the people who liked the movies she was in liked the characters she portrayed more than they actually liked her. So when she had to move on to playing other characters the "fans" lost interest.

So can you tell me the woman's name?

I'll give you a hint, she's less famous for this role:
    Fortapache1948.jpg
    than for this one:
    250px-Little_Princess_4.JPG

Somebody probably answered this, but that's Shirley Temple.
    And I believe that pic is from when she worked in Washington DC.

B)
    Yeah, she was an ambassador at one point. Why? Because acting was no longer a viable career option for her. :/
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Shirley Temple Black. She was US Ambassador to Ghana and to Czechoslovakia and served as Chief of Protocol of the US.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    patrickngo wrote: »
    strathkin wrote: »
    These new Klingons are cool. They would beat the **** out of the Klingons from the other shows. Except for Worf and Martag, those two were legit bada$$es.

Old Klingons were better. They had a bit of an unoriginal design, but what thy lacked in looks, they made up for with legitimate character and not being made of rubber.

I agree the Enterprise (TV) Series, Khan+, and TNG Klingon's consistent across the breadth of the entire timeline except TOS (60's) when makeup wasn't as good was explained by Enterprise as Augment Virus.

Regardless... I agree with you disqord I think Old or Klingon's as they've mostly been portrayed were far better. I think they would have been better served with several new Klingon uniforms based on the House they serve within even if there are common elements.

It's almost horrible they made this drastic change to a familiar look which is going to be difficult to explain why they look one way on Enterprise, then in Discovery appear completely different, then we have Augment Klingon's in ToS, then with Khan and the Movies / TNG they back as they were on Enterprise.

>:)

It's good to remember that each star trek show is different and has different stuff in it.

People seem shocked and appalled that they are discovering new stuff about star trek in the show "Star Trek: Discovery" and it doesn't make a lick of sense to me. Cant you read the title of the show?

Your argument would hold water, if it was a matter of 'discovering' a separate ethnicity or subgroup, rather than being a 'complete and total replacement' as ST:D's own showrunners stated. (they were actually caught by surprise when people objected, as evidenced in the ST:LV panel discussions that made it onto the web.)

as it stands, your argument doesn't hold water. It's a full-on replacement, not the uncovering of something intended to be 'new'.

Agree. I've stated many times I love the makeup they did on the new Klingons just think it is a horrible disaster to change after they did so in Wrath of Khan having seen Klingons different in ToS. Enterrprise finally cleared that whole mess up very nicely when the first shorter lived TV series went backwards in the timeline... ...yet introducing another entirely new breed that looks vastly different is hard to justify how Klingons appeared one way on Enterprise, then completely different in Discovery, to then having the Augments in TOS, but then return back as shown on Enterrprise or Wrath Of Khan.

I have said numerous times they would have been far better off to introduce them as a sub species of far smaller population that perhaps leads the Klingons down a darker path with the Fed.
    0zxlclk.png
    On the 'After Trek' episode the other night they went over the process that they use for the Klingon makeup and armor. They use high-end modeling program and 3-D printers. Each House has its own ridge pattern and the armor has very intricate details. Pretty fascinating overall.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    The 'old' Klingons would drop their Jihad against tribbles to start a new one against the new Klingons.
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    The 'old' Klingons would drop their Jihad against tribbles to start a new one against the new Klingons.

You mean TOS-Kor would start a Jihad against himself on DS9?
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

You mean TOS-Kor would start a Jihad against himself on DS9?

Well, B'Vat in STO hates his future self that he helped you defeat him. So such behaviour is "STO Canon" for Klingons.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    After watching the first half dozen episodes of the new show I got used to the new Klingons though I quiet disliked the change in looks at first.

Yesterday a fun thing happened when I browsed the web and saw a picture of Worf.

poor-worf.jpg

Boy I thought, this makeup looks kinda dated. It’s not quite the same effect the first TOS Klingons had on me after I grew up with TNG and gave TOS a chance thereafter but it goes in the similar direction.

I think when the first season of Discovery is over TNG Klingons will remind peeps more of self-made convention costumes than make believe aliens in a Sci Fi show.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    It should just be a tailor unlock...simple as. I mean, I think they're AWFUL personally and that Discovery is taking the whatsit, but just give people a new Klingon look to play with.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    I'd pay a -lot- of zen for playable super klingons.

I have no problems with the appearance being added to the game. I even provided a very plausible reason for it earlier in this post.

However, they are not "super" klingons. Compared to the klingons we have, they're actually very weak and ineffective. They can't run, jump, twist very fast, turn the head very far, or perform martial arts moves. So these klingons would come standard with an minimum of a 50% reduction for all melee combat. Oh and since they can't run, they have to progress through the game at /+walk speeds.

Add in the extrasensory receptors for the danger sense. This removes them from being able to be an apex predator. An apex predator doesn't need this, they have no natural enemies to need something to alert them to incoming danger. So this drops them down to being a prey animal. They need that "danger sense" to warn them when there is an apex predator, or something dangerous around.

With the extra sensory receptors coupled with the fact they can't run, jump or performs martial arts moves, means all they can do is go, "Oh, there's danger around." as they get slaughtered.

From this biological stand point, I can understand why they wouldn't survive past the Discovery era. Other than the fact they are on prison ships. Which means the real klingons have locked them away for their own protection, since this is the only way they would survive.

So the only time super should be used to describe them is in the word superfluous.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
    He's got a key bind for that statement about super Klingons.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    I vomited when I saw these "klingons" refugees from a bad John Carpenter Vampire remake...