test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Well... Looks like the producers of TRIBBLE have some serious explaining to do

lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_CnDD_MXq4

The tl;dr version: as the video shows, it looks an awful lot like someone involved in the development of Discovery may have stolen the idea of the tartigrade drive from the steam game 'tartigrades' - to the point that the developer has actually commented on it and posted info and images that look far too similar to be a coincidence

That is exactly the kind of thing that could get the series cancelled on the spot, if it turns out to be true. The CBS legal department won't be liking this one bit

Comments

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »

The tl;dr version: as the video shows, it looks an awful lot like someone involved in the development of Discovery may have stolen the idea of the tartigrade drive from the steam game 'tartigrades' - to the point that the developer has actually commented on it and posted info and images that look far too similar to be a coincidence

That is exactly the kind of thing that could get the series cancelled on the spot, if it turns out to be true. The CBS legal department won't be liking this one bit

maybe they bought the rights?

If they bought the rights, then the developer of that game would be cheering that their creation is in Star Trek even if it is Discovery instead of wondering why it is in Discovery. Tardigrades can't be plagiarized since it is an actual microscopic creature. However, giant Tardigrades that allow instantaneous travel to distant star systems could be plagiarism. Although at this point of time, any form of interstellar transportation could be considered as plagiarism due to some novel, movie, or TV show.

• lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »

If they bought the rights, then the developer of that game would be cheering that their creation is in Star Trek even if it is Discovery instead of wondering why it is in Discovery. Tardigrades can't be plagiarized since it is an actual microscopic creature. However, giant Tardigrades that allow instantaneous travel to distant star systems could be plagiarism. Although at this point of time, any form of interstellar transportation could be considered as plagiarism due to some novel, movie, or TV show.

There were more 'coincidences' than just the concept of the drive itself. There are alot of minor details such as at least 3 of the characters being oddly similar - to the point the cartoon characters even have the same physical features and two of them are in a TRIBBLE relationship with each other..which you have to admit is oddly specific

and patrick, they didn't buy the rights, the developer didn't even know about it until some of his players pointed it out to him, and as matt said in the video, the reason he did the dev blogs shown in the video were to prevent people from getting the idea that he ripped off ideas from TRIBBLE for his game (note that the game came out about a year before the announcement of the series was made)

So, like I said, something fishy is definitely going on on some level. This is definitely something cbs needs to know about
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User

So, the first thing I did was go look up a YouTube Let's Play of this game. I wanted to see the story and elements and compare them side to side to Star Trek: Discovery. Thing is... you can't. It's an idea that was "greenlit" on Steam's Greenlight service on May 8th, 2014.

However, the developer has been making semi-regular updates to it:

The game looks interesting, if point-and-click is your thing. I wonder if he will feel compelled to change story elements in response to this?
    Unlikely, given the developer's official response:

Assuming someone on the creative staff of Star Trek: Discovery did borrow heavily from the concepts in 'Tartigrades', I'm not certain there is much the developer can do, since it is not finished game.
    redvenge wrote: »

So, the first thing I did was go look up a YouTube Let's Play of this game. I wanted to see the story and elements and compare them side to side to Star Trek: Discovery. Thing is... you can't. It's an idea that was "greenlit" on Steam's Greenlight service on May 8th, 2014.

However, the developer has been making semi-regular updates to it:

The game looks interesting, if point-and-click is your thing. I wonder if he will feel compelled to change story elements in response to this?
    Unlikely, given the developer's official response:

Assuming someone on the creative staff of Star Trek: Discovery did borrow heavily from the concepts in 'Tartigrades', I'm not certain there is much the developer can do, since it is not finished game.

Uhh.... If anything that blog post heavily implies TRIBBLE ripped off ideas from this guys game. It doesn't need to be a finished game, he came up with his idea and the existence of the game and its concepts have been made public. Its his concept. I mean hell they took character concepts right out of the game by his own admission. He is very much within his rights to make a legal issue of it if he chooses. A company getting caught doing something like this, let alone to an indie developer is liable to get itself into a very difficult legal situation. Its the kind of thing that can easily get a tv series cancelled. Hell some of those scenes and images from TRIBBLE look like they were pulled directly from the game

He can make a legal issue of it if he chooses to, whether he will or not is another matter. At the very least cbs corporate legal should be made aware of this
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    Uhh.... If anything that blog post heavily implies TRIBBLE ripped off ideas from this guys game. It doesn't need to be a finished game, he came up with his idea and the existence of the game and its concepts have been made public. Its his concept. I mean hell they took character concepts right out of the game by his own admission. He is very much within his rights to make a legal issue of it if he chooses.
    He can't make a legal issue of it. It's one of the reason many game developers have NDA's regarding their games until they finished. It is not a finished product, merely a "collection of ideas". Stealing his ideas is not ethical, but it is legal. "Morally compromised" is the mantra of Star Trek:Discovery anyway. It's the sort of thing Lorca would do, if it will kill Klingons.
    He can make a legal issue of it if he chooses to, whether he will or not is another matter. At the very least cbs corporate legal should be made aware of this
    CBS won't acknowledge anything. It won't even address it. The developer has no legal grounds and addressing it will just bring the issue into the spotlight, regardless of it's validity.

redvenge wrote: »
    Uhh.... If anything that blog post heavily implies TRIBBLE ripped off ideas from this guys game. It doesn't need to be a finished game, he came up with his idea and the existence of the game and its concepts have been made public. Its his concept. I mean hell they took character concepts right out of the game by his own admission. He is very much within his rights to make a legal issue of it if he chooses.
    He can't make a legal issue of it. It's one of the reason many game developers have NDA's regarding their games until they finished. It is not a finished product, merely a "collection of ideas". Stealing his ideas is not ethical, but it is legal. "Morally compromised" is the mantra of Star Trek:Discovery anyway. It's the sort of thing Lorca would do, if it will kill Klingons.
    CBS won't acknowledge anything. It won't even address it. The developer has no legal grounds and addressing it will just bring the issue into the spotlight, regardless of it's validity.

No. The developer has considerable legal grounds. Ripping specific concepts and plot points from someones game in order to put into your own product for profit is a good way to get sued for violating intellectual property laws. I'll say it again - several of the things that were mentioned were almost identical. That is not legal. It is not 'a collection of ideas' Its a game in development that has has information about it put out there by the dev a year prior to the series going into production. If the situation were reversed CBS would already have their lawyers on him. The game does not need to have been completed, it only needs to exist. Hell we're not even talking about ideas we're talking about explicit plot points for the game being stolen, not just vague concepts. It isn't 'we took the idea to make a first person shooter' its 'we took the idea to make a first person shooter where you're a space marine killing demons on mars right down to the specific features of those demons' and then acting like you did nothing wrong when id finds out about it., or 'we have a faster than light drive' vs 'we have a faster than light drive called a warp drive that uses dilithium crystals to operate' They're doing the same thing here. We aren't talking about vague concepts here.

Situations like this are exactly why licensing intellectual property rights exists and why you don't see a hundred clones of star wars, star trek and a dozen other popular IPs all over the place

CBS is not likely to address it publicly, nor does any company accused of any illegal action. But they very much will respond to it internally and with the developer should he decide to make an issue of it
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Hmmm...
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    Hmm from the way i see it, CBS has made this theirs and it's in their content library now. It's not the first case involving indie developers who have had their content taken adapted and copyrighted by others, a Mexican music band took a soundtrack from a game called Subnautica, copied it and copyrighted it as their own. UWE have since added more of their own music since, probably changed that piece of music for something of their own.

In a situation like this, the indie developer doesn't have the legal position to call them out on it, neither the power to enforce it or the duration to make the case last. it would be best to just change the content and move on. For indie devs, there needs to be extra safeguards to protect these small teams from such abuse from big groups like CBS who can afford their super priced lawyers for a prolonged case.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,279 Arc User
    hawku001x wrote: »
    Screen-Shot-2016-08-15-at-6.53.04-AM.png?resize=300%2C218

Jeff Foxworthy: If you got some splainin' to do, you might be a redneck.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    Hmm from the way i see it, CBS has made this theirs and it's in their content library now

Its not theirs if they stole it from someone else. That is the entire point of having copyright laws
    a Mexican music band took a soundtrack from a game called Subnautica, copied it and copyrighted it as their own

Which is blatantly illegal, and very easy to prove in court if someone does something that blatant
    In a situation like this, the indie developer doesn't have the legal position to call them out on it

Yes he does. He has them dead to rights and in a very difficult legal position when it comes to explaining themselves
    neither the power to enforce it or the duration to make the case last.

Yes he does, its called getting a lawyer. Duration? He has physical proof predating everything cbs did. He has them by the balls under those circumstances
    it would be best to just change the content and move on

No it wouldn't. You can't steal something from a person and then make THEM change their own product to protect your theft. What are they going to do? send him a threatening letter? That would put cbs in a very difficult position as soon as what they did came out

The best thing for him to do is to contact cbs directly, explain the situation and tell them to explain themselves
    For indie devs, there needs to be extra safeguards to protect these small teams from such abuse from big groups like CBS who can afford their super priced lawyers for a prolonged case.

Having expensive lawyers does not mean you will win. It doesn't work that way. You still need reasonable proof. He has physical proof that predates their production. There is nothing to prolong - either they have proof as to where these aspects of their show came from independent of this guys game or a court would be required by law to rule in the devs favor
    Having expensive lawyers does not mean you will win. It doesn't work that way. You still need reasonable proof. He has physical proof that predates their production. There is nothing to prolong - either they have proof as to where these aspects of their show came from independent of this guys game or a court would be required by law to rule in the devs favor

It will, indie devs don't have the money to throw around on laywers, much less for a long amount of time. What happens when that indie dev runs out of money for the laywer while CBS draws out the proceedings? The challenge ceases to exist. It's not a case of how right or wrong CBS is, it's about having the power, the ability and the money to deal with the situation and the indie devs just don't have anything of the sort compared to CBS.

Even if CBS lost the case, CBS could simply just buy the game and the ip out right at a later date anyway.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    I feel bad for the guy having to come out and claim he didn't steal the idea from TRIBBLE.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • bwleon7bwleon7 Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    I think this is hilarious after all the TRIBBLE with Axanar, CBS turns around and does this. I wonder if a judge could open that back up because of this.
    Dr. Miranda Jones: I understand, Mr. Spock. The glory of creation is in its infinite diversity.
    Mr. Spock: And the ways our differences combine, to create meaning and beauty.

-Star Trek: Is There in Truth No Beauty? (1968)
    In a civil case, this is very true, however, due to how obvious this infringement is, it becomes a cirminal copyright case. In such cases the Federal government gets involved and they would go after CBS for the infringement.

There are four essential elements to a charge of criminal copyright infringement. In order to sustain a conviction under section 506(a), the government must demonstrate: (1) that a valid copyright; (2) was infringed by the defendant; (3) willfully; and (4) for purposes of commercial advantage or private financial gain. Attempts to infringe are prohibited to the same extent as the completed act. Conspiracies to violate the Act can be prosecuted under 18 U.S.C. § 371. A minority of courts also require that the government prove the absence of a first sale, and refer to this as a fifth element of a section 506(a) offense. However, the majority position is that the absence of a first sale is an affirmative defense. Thus, the government does not need to allege it in the indictment or to present initially evidence to negate the defense. See this Manual at 1854.

https://www.justice.gov/usam/criminal-resource-manual-1847-criminal-copyright-infringement-17-usc-506a-and-18-usc-2319

This situtation with this developer looks more like criminal than civil infringement.
    Civil being more the stealing of an idea, whereas a criminal infringement is where the offender has clearly copied what the copyright holder created.
    If the developer in this case has registered his game prior to TRIBBLE coming out, then that makes his case all the more solid against CBS.

IF you do wish to make a case for copyright infringements, you may want to look at other cases where ideas were blatantly ripped from other sources and some others are ovbious clones with a different name and slightly different setting, but these are not challenged. Not every case will get to a court room, especially for something so minor or something so blatantly copied.
    thay8472 wrote: »
    I feel bad for the guy having to come out and claim he didn't steal the idea from TRIBBLE.

unfortunate fact is that he can't do anything about it other than changing the content to avoid any type of legal trouble. thats the position he is in right now irrespective of the legality of the content.
    bwleon7 wrote: »
    I think this is hilarious after all the **** with Axanar, CBS turns around and does this. I wonder if a judge could open that back up because of this.

That case is long closed and besides a potentially shaky bit of minor content, what have you really got to take to court? and how would it influence the case on axanar?
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    bs should he change it. He had it a year before discovery was even announced.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!

it wouldn't hurt if he did change it and he could keep the original somewhere safe. If one day he wishes to challenge CBS when he has the ability to, he can do that. For him it's just about survival for him and his game at this early point. Again legality aside, he can't do anything about it right now. He either focuses on using his money to defend his content against CBS which would mean a laywer, court fees and what not, or producing his game and working on getting more money through steam.

which choice should he make?
  • bwleon7bwleon7 Member Posts: 310 Arc User

it wouldn't hurt if he did change it and he could keep the original somewhere safe. If one day he wishes to challenge CBS when he has the ability to, he can do that. For him it's just about survival for him and his game at this early point. Again legality aside, he can't do anything about it right now. He either focuses on using his money to defend his content against CBS which would mean a laywer, court fees and what not, or producing his game and working on getting more money through steam.

which choice should he make?

Not 100% but I believe you have to make a claim within a certain time frame otherwise you give up the right to go after the infringing group.
    Dr. Miranda Jones: I understand, Mr. Spock. The glory of creation is in its infinite diversity.
    Mr. Spock: And the ways our differences combine, to create meaning and beauty.

-Star Trek: Is There in Truth No Beauty? (1968)
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    Okay, having broken down and watched this guy's video, I have to say there's only a very weak claim of copyright violation. Tardigrades look like tardigrades - it's not a species known for its great individuality. And it's only natural to look at the creature's capabilities in the real world (for instance, they can exist in hard vacuum, go years without food or liquid, and appear to be immune to ionizing radiation), and try to extend those abilities into other realms.

Now, there's a pretty doggone huge difference between using one as a sort of organic supercomputer to tie into an interstellar network of quantum-entangled mycelial threads, and having one envelop you as a sort of biological spacesuit before engaging in transgalactic teleportation under its own power (and why intergalactic travel? Wouldn't interstellar be more than sufficient?). It's simply not reasonable, in my opinion, to claim that the not-fully-produced Steam game Tardigrades inspired in any meaningful way the spore drive in ST:D.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    That's it?

Most likely the producers read in the news about Tardigrades being left in space and went from there.

Maybe they even saw this vid at 2:30 and made a connection
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=6H0E77TdYnY

The project was called "Tardigrades in Space", with the shorthand being - TARDIS.

Frankly that's more likely to be an inspiration than the producers buying an unheard of game on steam and using it as inspiration for a major TV show. To be honest it sounds like that's where the developer got the idea from also.

So Discovery has the Tardigrade getting dumped into space (like the above project), where it dematerialises. Meanwhile the game had you get in a Tardi(s)grade and travel. Yup, sounds more likely they got the inspiration from the news, consciously or otherwise.

What is it with sci-fi fans assuming something is a ripoff because something has a very very mild similarity.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Basically what Jon said but also with, why the hell would CBS bother? All it would do is create negative press for the show they're trying to launch their streaming platform with. And I mean real negative press amongst real people, not whiny fanbois.

A legal challenge is pretty big as far as negative press goes, and a bid corporation stealing from a little developer even more so.

Mostly unbelievable.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!