test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

All Foundry functions are temporarily unavailable. 19 OCT Patch notes

What is going on with the foundry? It would be great if the devs could actually explain to us what the problem is. I know it goes down after every major update, but it came back slowly, apart from the editor, then last week they instantly shut it off and tell us it would be back at the next maintenance. Now we are being told it is still unavailable. And what do they call temporary? A week, a month, a year?

Do the devs have any idea how important the foundry is to players in this game, because if all we had to play were the 130 standard missions in the game many would have left years ago. The facility to create new missions for yourself and others to enjoy is, for many, a fantastic bonus for STO, yet it's never given the importance it deserves by Cryptic, the fact it's still in Beta after nearly 8 years is one indication of that. Now I am concerned that it will be down for months until someone fixes it in their own time, as it seems many of the cool functions in the game are "own time" projects.

Cryptic, many of us would like some explanation of what is going on with the Foundry.

Comments

• Options
    trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    This happens every time there is a Season release or major patch. It was down for about 2 months with the lighting 2.0 patch.

The main reason for this is because they're adding the new assets and such from the season release in. Add to that they just released a specialization and an fleet holding.

The foundry was also autopublishing the missions a bit ago. Which now they have shutdown all foundry functions. I'd have to say they found a bug or exploit with it that needs to be addressed.

Perhaps we'll get lucky with this, and finally get some NPCs that finally count as Klingon Rebels.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    Well they can't really give us a time frame for the Foundry. Usually it's not down long on a season release. But it also depends on what debugging and version releases. So it's down time can run for longer than expected.

Add to this, that in general there are only two dev's that work on the foundry.

Though I am hoping they finally debug some things that some how got bugged last year. Like ground assets that come with lights, and the lights fixtures were floating above the asset itself. Like the klingon combat arena. It has 4 of those ground torch lights you see in First City... all those were floating above the arena itself. This light by itself comes with a fire already in it. Unfortunately, due to this bug, the fire is at the base of it, instead of at the top of it.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    bumperthumperbumperthumper Member Posts: 513 Arc User
    The Foundry is the best thing to happen to this game. Better content, hands down. I really hope they support it more.
    A proud member of The Collective ARMADA
    NOT A FAN OF ARC!
  • Options
    They may at some point. Right now, other than some of the bugs, like the ones I mentioned. I'd take some cleaner terrain maps. I can use the ones we have. It's just that they tend to have a lot of unnecessary ground clutter to them.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited October 2017

The foundry was also autopublishing the missions a bit ago. Which now they have shutdown all foundry functions. I'd have to say they found a bug or exploit with it that needs to be addressed.

It's a server problem:

Cryptic may have originally planned for Foundry play to come back online today but, as we should all know, things in development can change (see. why they don't talk about upcoming content.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options

It's a server problem:

Cryptic may have originally planned for Foundry play to come back online today but, as we should all know, things in development can change (see. why they don't talk about upcoming content.)

Yeah, I'm not worried about it right now. Though, I do find myself missing the challenge of map building(even with the hundreds upon hundreds of jumps in to the 3D render and back out to the editor).
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    As Duncan said things in development can change and I suspect the reason they've not given us a second ETA is that there's none to give. We just have to have patience and vigilance (they might not announce when the editor is back online, they might turn it back on without an announcement).
  • Options
    I've asked if anything is known about this on the StarbaseUGC discord. Right now getting the new season, as we've stated. Haven't heard anything outside of this.

If I find out any more than this. I'll post it.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    I heard they took it down so they could finally add the new User Interface allowing much easier access to missions:

35973352396_aa76faedb0_b.jpg

Oh wait, those were just the voices in my head....

If anyone is interested in details about this, see the link in my sig below.
    Post edited by captainhunter1 on
  • Options
    I heard they took in down so they could finally add the new User Interface allowing much easier access to missions:

Oh wait, those were just the voices in my head....

Can I add a new, easier to use editor to that wish list?
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    starfarerthetastarfarertheta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    <snip>
    <snip>

qqlKblI.jpg