test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Comments

• evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Haven't heard of this before, is it in continuity with the previous shows or just the movie?
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    IIRC they decided to go back and use the original movie as a starting point and completely redo everything starting there.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    i think, it would be good. some indiana jones vibe ,some goa'uld s visiting. maybe time traveling sg teams here and there...

the most important thing is, they want to test the waters with this mini almost web series. before a big project and it is fine.

the redo thing will be as movie from Emmerich

DMMyJ-SVoAAr9IE.jpg
    Post edited by garaks31 on
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    garaks31 wrote: »
    i think, it would be good. some indiana jones vibe ,some goa'uld s visiting. maybe time traveling sg teams here and there...

the most important thing is, they want to test the waters with this mini almost web series. before a big project and it is fine.

the redo thing will be as movie from Emmerich

The movie (a planned new trilogy) was dropped quite a while ago (what with the fail of new Independence Day and stuff).

Origins, as far as I know, is supposed to respect the show continuity. Thus so far it is unclear what it could possibly contain other than shots at the Stargate in storage...
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Isn't this set decades before the Stargate movie since we have a young Catherine Langford? From what I recall, there was a couple of Stargate missions with Catherine's fiancee being trapped on another planet for decades. It seemed like Catherine Langford didn't know much about the Stargate being an interstellar transporation device until after her fiancee was trapped on another planet and the early Stargate program was ended. It is possible that this series will be set in a parallel universe.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    I've also known about this going back a decade. huh, it's been that long!

Anyway, from what i understand the original creator of the film didn't like the series or the direction it took after his original film. He wanted to go back to basic and start over but from what i gather of this project is that it will be centered around the adventures of Cathrine Langford during those years when she was younger in the 1960's.

It's very possible Ernest Littlefield and Professor Langford will be as much apart of this new series. I'm guessing Conner Trinneer is playing Ernest? I guess we will find out.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    Connor Trineer is somehow supposed to play Carherine's father (and technically, he's old enough to play the actress' father). Ernest Littlefield might appear, but as noted, she shouln't know about the successful activation of the Stargate.

Honestly I don't quite see what they can actually set the plot around. Then again, it's just a couple webisodes. Might just show her actually seeing the gate for the first time and start working on it.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.

Trinneer is the Professor? Then someone will be playing a younger version of himself 30 years earlier when he was a young man at the dig in Egypt in some recurring fashion as well to connect the dots surrounding the discovery and the activation and first missions. I would imagine some minor part of the continuity could be demolished to get Cathrine more involved in this project for storyline reasons a lot sooner.
    I went and did some research from the previous reply. There appears to be quite a few people coming on for these 10 minute episodes. An Australian actress, Elli Gall, she will play Catherine Langford in the lead role.

Conner Trinneer will indeed play Professor Paul Langford, he will be there when the dig happens and later on in 1945 when the experiments begin.

One of the co-writers for this webisode series is also going to play a character as well and judging on the middle eastern actors coming on including a British-Iranian actress and an Iraqi actor, i am expecting a few flashbacks to the Giza excavation, perhaps in two seperate storylines that tells events in the present 1945 and the events around the dig in Giza decades earlier?

The creators of this series are willing to order more episodes and seasons, but reaction to this new series will be very much key to a revival or the end of this series. This could very well be the last hope for Stargate as a series.
    This could very well be the last hope for Stargate as a series.

Last... for now. There's gonna be some reboot one way or another, assuming humankind doesn't destroy itself earlier.

edited October 2017
    toiva wrote: »
    This could very well be the last hope for Stargate as a series.

Last... for now. There's gonna be some reboot one way or another, assuming humankind doesn't destroy itself earlier.

There is only so many times MGM is going to pull that dead horse out the ground for poking with a stick. I apologise if i come off as skeptical but there have been quite a few chances this series has been gifted by MGM over the years, it's been half and half so far.

This seems like the last real effort to set things right. I would imagine if Origins is a success it could spawn spins offs or a reboot of its own from this. It's also a way to gauge if there is enough support to consider if Stargate should keep going.
    yeah, there has been four TV series based on Stargate, only 2 were actually successful.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    There were several computer games including an mmo based on the stargate series that ended up getting cancelled.
    There was an animated series called Stargate Infinty that was stopped after the first season.

It's been a mixed bag of success around the series over the last 20 years.
    Stargate Universe is how Voyager should have been. Voyager is severely damaged in the first episode and the second episode has it completely repaired? At least SGU spent a few episodes in getting the ship working properly and dealing with the issues of food, water, and air.
    starkaos wrote: »
    Stargate Universe is how Voyager should have been. Voyager is severely damaged in the first episode and the second episode has it completely repaired? At least SGU spent a few episodes in getting the ship working properly and dealing with the issues of food, water, and air.
    That worked out so well for SGU didn't it? :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing

It was other problems that brought the end to SGU like their use of those communication stones. Where is the drama when your crew can go on R&R for a few days on Earth while an expert from Earth fixes some problem?
    SGU was simply too slow for the first season. And for me personally, too dark (literally too dark, the thematic darkness wasn't great either, but it was kinda the premise of the show, I could more or less deal with it).

As for what I meant with my last comment: I was pointing at the current rebooting of everything, lack of trying to create something new etc. That logically leads to the conclusion that almost everything will get a reboot sooner or later, and then another, and another, ... ("All of this has happened before and it will happen again.")

I thought this was the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6fgZP7jP4o
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User

I actually really liked SGU at first, though later on I gradually started to hate almost every single character. The theme of the show was fine, they just needed more than one likable character and much better writing.
    toiva wrote: »
    SGU was simply too slow for the first season. And for me personally, too dark (literally too dark, the thematic darkness wasn't great either, but it was kinda the premise of the show, I could more or less deal with it).

As for what I meant with my last comment: I was pointing at the current rebooting of everything, lack of trying to create something new etc. That logically leads to the conclusion that almost everything will get a reboot sooner or later, and then another, and another, ... ("All of this has happened before and it will happen again.")

so_say_we_all1.gif
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • jansil#1393 jansil Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    Anyone else notice that SGU had a very steampunk kinda look to it? There was a lot of things wrong with SGU, but there was a lot more they got right. Eli was awesome. He made the show. Rush was good, but got old PDQ. Don't get me started on Cloe... like why the heck was she even in a role to advise? She was just the daughter of a senator. That's it. She should be tossed out of the meeting, and back with the civies.
    Cloe was there for administrative reasons I think?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Chloe was the aide to the senator and the daughter to the senator who gave of himself to save her and everyone else from that damaged shuttle.

Eli is the sterotypical nerd, sitting at home collecting benefit while playing computer games and living with his mother who takes care of him. He solves a game puzzle and the air force picks him up despite his skeptism, he goes with them. He has been a stablising influence for the often unstable Rush who sees Eli as a protege when Rush realises Eli is far more than what he appears.

Rush is the guy with the very high IQ who borders on obsessive behavior on a regular basis, always putting his effort into his work while neglecting his other responsibilities including social skills, one of which haunts him, the death of his wife Gloria. Rush is frequently at odds with Young due to the science vs military matters as well as command choices, Rush is also at odds with a number of the crew due to his often lack of interest in their well being.

The Destiny is an ancient ship that looks ready to fall apart, a big engine assembly in the rear is the most defining feature of the ship, most of the ship has crewquarters, some consoles and a hydroponics lab. Later on the bridge found and used. Initially everyone thought the Destiny was controlling the actions by intelligent auto-piloting, despite this it was almost immediately apparent emergency repairs were needed.

I found SGU actually something interesting to watch, i wished it had lasted a few more seasons. it's criminal leaving the crew in pods and eli on his own like that, not knowing if they survived or found that mysterious signal in the static. :tongue:

What info? Info about the project would be when it takes place and do they go through the Stargate.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    yeah, there has been four TV series based on Stargate, only 2 were actually successful.

So someone else remembers Stargate Infinity?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    rattler2 wrote: »

And a Stargate novel series that came out before SG-1. Infinity certainly had more interesting alien teammates. Just proves that animation is capable of more interesting looking characters and environments compared to regular shows.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    Well... cartoons also have a lot more freedom than live action unless you got a large budget for CGI. The only thing Infinity got right though was predicting that the Goa'uld would be defeated.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    rattler2 wrote: »

I never saw it on tv, I found a dvd copy in a discount bin. >_<'
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing