test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why is the Foundry still down?

Why is the Foundry editor still down, when all missions have been republished for days? Dose anyone have any idea of when it will be back?

Comments

• thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    It's normally down after a new season. Best guess, maybe a few more days?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    I know but i thought it would be back by now
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    The Foundry is up, at least partially. I've been running Foundry missions since last week. It was down after maintenance Tuesday but I was actually surprised that it was back up by Wednesday after maintenance. Been running them daily ever since.

I suppose there's a chance that they load up missions a few at a time and the ones I've been running just happen to be in the batches already restored.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    It has taken until now to republish most, but not all, missions. However, they have this evening taken the entire thing down again for another week. Probably they discovered an exploit and so to prevent the 10 or so people that may be using said exploit they deny access to the rest of us, that's just a guess.
    you have evidence for it going down for a week? Still there could have been issues with the republish that forced to take the foundry down.
    spiritborn wrote: »
    It has taken until now to republish most, but not all, missions. However, they have this evening taken the entire thing down again for another week. Probably they discovered an exploit and so to prevent the 10 or so people that may be using said exploit they deny access to the rest of us, that's just a guess.
    you have evidence for it going down for a week? Still there could have been issues with the republish that forced to take the foundry down.

They said so themselves that it will be down until the next maintenance, which is usually on a Thursday. This was published on their Facebook Page yesterday, why would I make it up?

I wouldn't say made it up so much as being overly pessimistic but in this case you seem to be 100% correct.

Too many times I've seen statements from the devs interpeted in the worst possible way to a point absurdity by people on this forum so you'll have excuse me that I won't take a vague negative statement as gospel without evidence.

Shame it'll be down until thursday but I can live with that, just hope it'll be back before my birthday on the 30th.
    Why does it have to be back on your birthday?
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    spiritborn wrote: »
    Too many times I've seen statements from the devs interpeted in the worst possible way to a point absurdity by people on this forum so you'll have excuse me that I won't take a vague negative statement as gospel without evidence.
    No need to get defensive, here's the official statement:

I'll note though that there is no evidence (or IMO a theoretical basis) for a new exploit being involved. STO has been having some server issues and shutting down the Foundry has, at least once before, helped Cryptic in this area. Exactly why isn't a question we're likely to get answered here (because that deals with the technical details of how the devs run the game) so for the purposes of this thread lets settle on a few points:

1. The Foundry will probably be back up in full sometime in the near future (just from the normal course of downtime.)
    2. Exactly when though isn't known or likely to be known before the event happens.
    3. We just know that Foundry missions will probably be reactivated next Thursday (Oct. 19th), after the patch.
    4. Sit tight, stay positive, and keep tabs on the Foundry Roundtable twitter handle (you don't need an account to do this, just google "twitter FoundryRoundtab") for the latest developments. You can be sure we'll update folks with any news.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    Foundry won't be coming back then - DOOM!!!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • theyredeadjimtheyredeadjim Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    There is an extended maintenance on October 17, between 5 a.m. and 3 p.m., that affects all Cryptic games. It may be that this is related.
    > @theyredeadjim said:
    > There is an extended maintenance on October 17, between 5 a.m. and 3 p.m., that affects all Cryptic games. It may be that this is related.

Yes, I just saw this but thanks
    There is an extended maintenance on October 17, between 5 a.m. and 3 p.m., that affects all Cryptic games. It may be that this is related.
    could be, it might be that what ever is causing this maintenance is also the reason why the Foundry was taken down.
    edited October 2017
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    People, there's no reason to freak out about it. The Foundry does this EVERY major seasonal release, for about 6-8 weeks or so. There's no paranoid conspiracy theory needed, this is just routine.

More 0-3 weeks, 8+ of partial downtime is what we had when lighting 2.0 killed exterior ground maps. It's exceptional and so not what players should be expecting out of routine maintenance.

To the current conversation: we have no information about the reasons for both the Foundry being taken back offline (impetus for the thread) and the extended maintenance on the 17th. They could be related to the same core problem or it could be that STO servers had a particular issue just before long-planned platform downtime. Without any info, a yes is just as likely as a no. So, where any speculation goes is simply up to the people having the conversation. ;)

One thing to note is that Cryptic stated that the Foundry would come back "with the next maintenance." That may or may not include extended platform maintenance (depends on things going on in Cryptic.) So, everyone just sit tight. Foundry missions, at least, should be back up sometime this week.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    Doom!!! DOOOM!!! The foundry has been taken offline permanently because Duncan forgot to save the children!

We're all doomeD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • starfarerthetastarfarertheta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    This foundry, and all within it, belong to Khaj'Buur.
  • aaron#1900 aaron Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    the foundry is down again and we got NO warning it was going to be off what going on there is no sever maintenance so why is it off
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    STO's getting boring, by all that's holy we need the Foundry back up.
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User
      Yeah, I got to play a few foundry missions when I started the game a few weeks ago. I need me some more typos to chortle at (in a nice way), though Cryptic themselves drop a few clangers in there.
      Foundry may your fire rise again soon.
      edited November 2017

6 weeks now, so getting close to the exceptional you mentioned, still now word.

That's incorrect. We've had several words from Cryptic. Refer to the post you just quoted for an example (the twitter post is linked in the post before.)

What we simply don't have at the moment is a specific estimate on when the Foundry will be back online. The devs are working on the newly ID'ed publishing bug, you know this. It was brought up in your other thread. And the direct implication is that Cryptic may not know themselves (in working on a solution at this point) exactly when the Foundry will be back from this exceptional downtime (wasn't then, is now.)

So sit tight. If you need a rough estimate then make one yourself (we have the rough facts to do it) and work on finding a better use of downtime. For example: I just wrote a full mission outline last night and prototyped some character designs using boffs. I found it both fun and productive.
      Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
      foundry is doomed!
      2gdi5w4mrudm.png
      Typhoon Class please!
    • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
      aaa642af3086fa54bdfebab71bacc954--dont-panic-dads-army.jpg
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
        -Lord Commander Solar Macharius

6 weeks now, so getting close to the exceptional you mentioned, still now word.

That's incorrect. We've had several words from Cryptic. Refer to the post you just quoted for an example (the twitter post is linked in the post before.)

What we simply don't have at the moment is a specific estimate on when the Foundry will be back online. The devs are working on the newly ID'ed publishing bug, you know this. It was brought up in your other thread. And the direct implication is that Cryptic may not know themselves (in working on a solution at this point) exactly when the Foundry will be back from this exceptional downtime (wasn't then, is now.)

So sit tight. If you need a rough estimate then make one yourself (we have the rough facts to do it) and work on finding a better use of downtime. For example: I just wrote a full mission outline last night and prototyped some character designs using boffs. I found it both fun and productive.
        We should also remember that, "exceptional downtime" doesn't mean "Cryptic doesn't care about the foundry" but rather that there's a major issue that needs fixing before the foundry can be brought back online. Without knowing exactly what is wrong and how hard it is to fix (which no-one but Cryptic devs would know) we can at best make very rough estimates as to when the Foundry "should" be back.

Don't mistake my patience on this matter to mean that I don't want the Foundry to be back right now, of course I do but I also understand he bug won't fix itself just because I want the Foundry to be back.

Like Duncan I've been working on my missions (the sequel to my current WIP project to be exact, that was always meant to be part 1 of a multi-mission storyline) and I've gotten a nice feel as to how I want the maps to go (for now that least once we get the editor back online actually trying to build the maps may lead me to different paths). I even have some scenes I would love to try to make but we'll have to see if it's possible within the foundry.
      • alicemik#4412 alicemik Member Posts: 1 New User
        And I really want to know why.
        And I really want to know why.

Why what? It's up.
        I've have to agree with Matt here the Foundry is back up, there's little reason to find out why it was down for so long, since problem has been fixed so us knowing why it was down won't help the devs in any meaningful way.