test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Gravity Wells in Infected Space

tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,799 Arc User
While I haven't seen this happen often, when I do see it happen, I wonder if the player who uses Gravity Well is unaware of what it is intended for.

Today's example, I brought a ship with GW into Infected Space and I will always hit the Sphere Swarm before heading back to the transformer to contribute my firepower.
When I saw a GW being used on the transformer, I wondered why the player wasn't using it on the Sphere Swarm as a delaying tactic.
So I mentioned it before we moved over to the right side.
See results here:
7C08B6A717AB6378EA882E354B8E68B529FCCAB2

My GW did manage to hold the Sphere Swarm for a little while, but then it expired and all I could do was watch while they got closer to the transformer and my cooldown was still active.
While the other GW was currently active on the transformer. :s:'(

I always wonder why someone would bother using GW on the transformer?
From my perspective, it's meant to temporarily immobilize enemy groups, specifically mobile ones you don't want moving around.
The transformer isn't going anywhere, it's a stationary object.
It's not like it's going to fly away if it isn't GW locked. :p

In the absolute worst case of this going wrong, I saw the Sphere Swarm pulled into the transformer.

The only thing I can think of is that the players are using GW as extra damage output.
Even though they shouldn't be using it this way......

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(

Comments

• Options
    seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    Because depending on your stats gravity well can behave very differently. Since the last "rebalance" things changed a lot, most noteably GW1 dosen't pull sh*t unless you've heavily specced into CtrlX. Basically on a ship that's only running with EPG and zero CtrlX support sationary objects are pretty much the only thng GW1 can hit at all anymore. It's basically become tyken's without he drain, that's the state GW1 is in.

Now given IF your GW can pull ships then you really shouldn't use it on the thing you need the mobs to keep away from but if you can't even pull sh*t you might as well dump it on the transformer to do some damge and maybe even proc a trait/spec based buff & debuff or two.
  • Options
    odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    So DPS with sci stuff... When I use GW3 (which is rare cuz im better speced for Tykens 3) I target the Transformer to grab the 2 normal spheres Above the transformer while shooting at it..SO I get all 3 at the same time.. The Nanite Spheres that spawn when a generator is destroyed (Those are the ones that can Repair the transformer) are a different ball game...I get those after I/We destroy the Transformer.

At 1 person at 40 or 50k dps can destroy The transformer and Generators before the Nanite Spheres get in position to heal.

astro does it here as well..But I would note that he has no Control X so GW3 only pulls stuff thats within 4km of the well.
    https://youtu.be/a_J9S6usx3k?t=1m

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Basically if you are sure you have the damage output to kill that transformer before the nanite train hits town then you can get away with this. It's often done in bi DPS runs as a fully spec'd GW3 with EGP skill over 500-600 can be really nasty.

BUT....

A lot of low end players or those with little to no understanding of the game/mission will try to either:

a) try to copy things from DPS run vids/discussions but don't fully understand the mechanics/intentions/reasoning/timing of said events.

or,

b) throw/spam anything/everything onto literally anything/everything, because they don't realise that knowing what to shoot where is part of getting good at the game.

So really this tactic can work, if you know what you're doing. If you don't, then don't try it really.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    Basically if you are sure you have the damage output to kill that transformer before the nanite train hits town then you can get away with this. It's often done in bi DPS runs as a fully spec'd GW3 with EGP skill over 500-600 can be really nasty.

BUT....

A lot of low end players or those with little to no understanding of the game/mission will try to either:

a) try to copy things from DPS run vids/discussions but don't fully understand the mechanics/intentions/reasoning/timing of said events.

or,

b) throw/spam anything/everything onto literally anything/everything, because they don't realise that knowing what to shoot where is part of getting good at the game.

So really this tactic can work, if you know what you're doing. If you don't, then don't try it really.
    this very much. More of then not the worst DPSers I've seen are the ones that either throw everything they got with no regards as to what to do and when or the ones that ape (poorly) the better DPSers without thinking about the underlying mechanics involved.

the mark of good DPSer(and generally just a good player) in my honest opinion is knowing when not to use an ability, either because said ability would do more harm then good (like using Grav Well against the Tzenkethi) or when said ability is best held in reserve as it would be better used at a different time/target.
  • Options
    I never bothered with Control X speccing and my gravity well is fairly useful.
    That's on multiple ships of varying kinds.

I'm a little skeptical that a player needs the damage boost from gravity well because they aren't meeting whatever theorectical DPS output is required.
    If they're that DPS limited, then maybe they should be reviewing their build and improving it.
    Given that I don't give a flying fig in space about DPS builds, that says a lot. ;)

What puzzles me about this incident is whoever it was must have been playing on autopilot.
    Or they had chat minimized, because my request wasn't acknowledged.
    If they'd listened and used their GW when mine timed out, then the optional would have succeeded.

Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • Options
    e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User

GW'ing the transformer barely helps your DPS though... In fact I find I gain more by GW'ing the Nanite Spheres when they come into range. You can see how I use my GW's to maximize control effectiveness and DPS on my flying tips video:

https://youtu.be/M3ku7s38soM

Another pet peeve of mine are what I call "sphere campers". They hang around the gate shooting spheres. They aren't really helping the team as much as they think IMO.
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    GW3 still seems to have okay control, but GW1/2 feels a lot weaker, or they messed up a bit.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    e30ernest wrote: »
    Another pet peeve of mine are what I call "sphere campers". They hang around the gate shooting spheres. They aren't really helping the team as much as they think IMO.

To be honest I've done this in every ISA run I've ever tried. Because in my books if you cannot be certain someone else is bringing crowd control, or is going to keep an eye on the nanites then you need to do it yourself.

Generally if a team is struggling to kill the transformer before the nanites get there then even adding one person's DPS in is not really going to help. The transformer is not hard to kill and just requires a sensible build to attack and damage it, if 4 players cannot handle that whilst i control the incoming optional failure then we have bigger issues.

I always find if i can annihilate the nanties or pin them down i'm more use than elsewhere.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    To be honest I've done this in every ISA run I've ever tried. Because in my books if you cannot be certain someone else is bringing crowd control, or is going to keep an eye on the nanites then you need to do it yourself.

In my experience, it is the opposite. You can still position yourself in range of the transformer but closer to the spheres so that you can CC them as they come in, and continue firing on the transformer to help the rest of the team.
    Generally if a team is struggling to kill the transformer before the nanites get there then even adding one person's DPS in is not really going to help. The transformer is not hard to kill and just requires a sensible build to attack and damage it, if 4 players cannot handle that whilst i control the incoming optional failure then we have bigger issues.

I always find if i can annihilate the nanties or pin them down i'm more use than elsewhere.

You are right, the transformer isn't hard to kill. That's why when a team struggles to do it, then you know the team is in trouble.
    Sometimes, 1 more person shooting really does make a difference. If you are capable of annihilating the spheres, then you are more than capable to push a struggling team to bring down that transformer.
  • Options
    postinggumpostinggum Member Posts: 1,117 Arc User
    I usually try to assess the team during the cube+spheres first phase to see if they can demolish the transformer easily, if not I'll make a point of slowing down the nanite spheres as long as that toon has some crowd control. Problem with this is a lot of weaker players spam all their buffs on the first group and then go in weak on the transformer.
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    Misfires can occur also.
    Post edited by avoozuul on
  • Options
    I don't try to fight the spheres, I just GW them and go back to the transformer.
    To be honest, if the transformer isn't gone by the time the GW dissipates, then it's a guaranteed optional failure.

I tried Khitomer Space for a baseline comparison and there is something different about GW in that scenario.
    They seem to ignore it and just keep moving.
    I had to tractor beam the probe to halt it's forward momentum.
    And for the record, someone was GWing the transformers there too. :#

My ships/builds don't have a DPS focus, so they won't contribute in any meaningful method to completing the destruction of the transformer.
    Which is I prefer to focus on control lockdown.

• Options
    Just run ISA in my Romulan alt's warbird that doesn't have any GW access and is seriously under-geared for elite content, but can handle advanced. Someone immediately went off right after the opening fight, causing the nanites to spawn there.

So there were then only 4 of us on the left, and to make maters worse the one guy who DID have GW didn't use it until after the nanites had gotten in range both left and right sides and failed us the optional (up until that point he was spamming TR3 on the transformer?!?).

So it seems even some of those with access to GW don't have a dammed clue what they are doing.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    reyan01 wrote: »
    spiritborn wrote: »

BUT....

or,

this very much. More of then not the worst DPSers I've seen are the ones that either throw everything they got with no regards as to what to do and when or the ones that ape (poorly) the better DPSers without thinking about the underlying mechanics involved.

the mark of good DPSer(and generally just a good player) in my honest opinion is knowing when not to use an ability, either because said ability would do more harm then good (like using Grav Well against the Tzenkethi) or when said ability is best held in reserve as it would be better used at a different time/target.

This. Whilst they are, thankfully, few and far between I do occasionally come across high DPS players who have absolutely no regard for anyone or anything else in the instance. And I'm not talking the high DPS'ers who actually show some consideration for the fact that they're not alone in the instance. I'm talking the ones who fly in obviously intending to be heroic or something, and blaze ahead doing their own thing. That's all well and good so long as they're actually as good as they think they are - and that isn't always the case. I've seen instances where some DPS hero flew off to the right hand side of the ISA map (when everyone else went left), caused the Nanite spheres to appear and then got themselves killed, thus causing an optional fail.

But that, sadly, brings me to another sad point. Whilst the optional can fail, the instance as a whole can't. This was being discussed in the thread about the new Tzenkethi Red Alert, which has a fail condition. Lets face it, the days when strategy and the 10% rule were required to complete ISA are LONG gone, and without any consequence of failure ISA is just another 'switch your brain off and spam spacebar' mission, which is why occurences such as that which prompted the OP to post this thread exist.
    Honestly in my experience both in STO and in WoW the best DPSers I've played with have not been the "DPS heroes" (I prefer to use a term that is not really suited for polite company) but rather those who focus solely on their own ego tend to be mid range or low end high at best and that's when actually know what they're doing. More often then not the "DPS heroes" end up having worse DPS then I do (bare in mind that my DPS even on my best character isn't anywhere close to "high").

In my experience more those people brag about their abilities or try doing something fancy in a pug less impressive their actual performance tends to be.

EDIT: In essense it's not that these people aren't always as good as they think they are but rather they aren't as good as they think they are most of the time and more often then not better they think they are, the worse they actually are.
  • Options
    odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User

BUT....

or,

This. Whilst they are, thankfully, few and far between I do occasionally come across high DPS players who have absolutely no regard for anyone or anything else in the instance. And I'm not talking the high DPS'ers who actually show some consideration for the fact that they're not alone in the instance. I'm talking the ones who fly in obviously intending to be heroic or something, and blaze ahead doing their own thing. That's all well and good so long as they're actually as good as they think they are - and that isn't always the case. I've seen instances where some DPS hero flew off to the right hand side of the ISA map (when everyone else went left), caused the Nanite spheres to appear and then got themselves killed, thus causing an optional fail.

But that, sadly, brings me to another sad point. Whilst the optional can fail, the instance as a whole can't. This was being discussed in the thread about the new Tzenkethi Red Alert, which has a fail condition. Lets face it, the days when strategy and the 10% rule were required to complete ISA are LONG gone, and without any consequence of failure ISA is just another 'switch your brain off and spam spacebar' mission, which is why occurences such as that which prompted the OP to post this thread exist.
    Honestly in my experience both in STO and in WoW the best DPSers I've played with have not been the "DPS heroes" (I prefer to use a term that is not really suited for polite company) but rather those who focus solely on their own ego tend to be mid range or low end high at best and that's when actually know what they're doing. More often then not the "DPS heroes" end up having worse DPS then I do (bare in mind that my DPS even on my best character isn't anywhere close to "high").

In my experience more those people brag about their abilities or try doing something fancy in a pug less impressive their actual performance tends to be.

EDIT: In essense it's not that these people aren't always as good as they think they are but rather they aren't as good as they think they are most of the time and more often then not better they think they are, the worse they actually are.

Whats the qualifier for mid or high DPS?

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• Options
    edited October 2017

BUT....

or,

Whats the qualifier for mid or high DPS?

take the high end and the low end, mid range should be somewhere between weighted towards the low end since more people have low DPS then have high DPS.

So in essese mid range DPS is something that's not the best but not worst either and high DPS is better DPS then mid range. Honestly what these exactly mean depends from player to player. Exact numbers might vary depending on buff and such too.
  • Options
    Tractor Beam Repulsors, that's the one skill I firmly believe players should not be using. :#
    Or at the very least, only players who know how to use it properly should have it.
    Case in point, I personally witnessed someone TBR on the nanite swarm from behind the group, pushing them right at the transformer.
    Instant optional fail due to player incompetence!!!!
    And like GW, TBR should not be used on the transformer, but the nanite swarm to keep them away.

From the responses and incidents witnessed, it seems that certain players believe that only their active target matters and they use all their skills on that target instead of splitting their focus between different tasks.
    Or as was stated, maybe they're just copying someone's pro run via video and they don't have the skill/ability to pull it off, but they aren't realizing that their approach is just failing every time.

Low DPS is 10k total per run or higher.
    High DPS is something like 100k.
    Or so I was told, I don't know the details because it's unimportant to me.

• Options
    I don't think DPS really maters (outside of elites) other than the combined team having enough damage to destroy all targets within the time limit, anything extra is just a bonus.
    A much bigger issue that causes failures is players not knowing what to do in mission, or more importantly players not knowing how to handle the abilities they have slotted.
    For example:
    • The poor use of a GW to suck the nanites onto a transformer, or a GW not being used when crowd control would have helped save an optional.
    • The use of TBR to push the nanites onto the transformer, or in KSA into the vortex.
    • Using TBR to push NPCs out of a GW/TR/SSV anomaly.
    • Firing a Tholian energy web onto NPCs and trapping your teammates in there too.
    • Using photonic shockwave from the wrong direction and pushing NPCs in the wrong direction.
    • Using Overwhelming Force buffed HY's to scatter NPCs out of a GW/TR.

Plenty more examples of poor placement of abilities and poor usage. And really a lot of it is probably down to players just either a) spamming the heck out of everything without a though, or b) players not fully understanding what an ability does.
    SulMatuul.png