test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Farpoint Station

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
This discussion was created from comments split from: a new Halloween\Friday 13. mission ideas.

Comments

• Options
    jamar8293#8986 jamar8293 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Has any of the deveopers ever thought about recreating the farpoint station mission or possibly creating a STO original mission for farpoint station. I know this is not halloween related but could not find any where else to put it.
  • Options
    hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    And we actually encounter that creature and its mate in an existing mission.
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    hanover2 wrote: »

You sure it was "that" same creature? You encountered a member of the same species... there is no proof it was the same one from the show.
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    As I recall it, the location of the world Farpoint was important to the UFP and Starfleet and that a station in that system was still important.

In a novel, The Fall of Terok Nor, it was revealed that, by 2374, a real Farpoint Station was constructed, a project that was referenced in dialogue at the end of Encounter at Farpoint. And because of that, the Devs could create anything they'd like should they decided to create such a location in STO.

It could become another fleet holding. That seems to be popular with Devs.
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    It had a mole in the same spot. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    tigeraries wrote: »

You sure it was "that" same creature? You encountered a member of the same species... there is no proof it was the same one from the show.

It's actually named " Farpoint somethingsomething," so I think we are at least intended to believe that.
  • Options
    asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    I actually like the idea of a mission in which we go to a world with a Farpoint like station on it. Maybe something like we get a mission from starfleet to investigate a world that signs have shown up, as well as rumors of a station matching Farpoint has been located on that world's surface.

In the concept that would work as a halloween episode, with the mission could work under the idea of something like a haunted house like mission. The mission might start out with the captain, as well as another vessel arriving in the solar system to investigate the Farpoint like station on the world. The player-captain would transport down to the main city around the station finding thru investigating that it looks like it had been attacked, and was also even under seige by quite a massive force even with signs of the world having been bombarded. After the player-captain investigates the city outside the station they might get a static filled garbled message from the npc-captain that they are experiencing strange phenomenon and/or even being attacked asking for assistance. At this point the player-captain would proceed into the Farpoint like station, and begin to experience the same things creatures an even strange paranormal phenomenon, while they move thru the station finding evidence of what had happened. In the mission it might be hinted at that this creature was tortured like the Farpoint creature was yet to a much greater degree, and maybe even driven into insanity, which caused it to go even further in it's attacks (who knows what it might do to the people of the world it captured) an using it's powers in a much different way to punish the people that captured it.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Farpoint doesn't exist anymore, the station was the alien creature, it left.

Directly from the "Encounter at Farpoint" pilot:
    Picard: "Captains Log, stardate 41174.2. The Agreement for the rebuilding of Farpoint Station has been completed per my instructions."

It's very much there even if the original was just an illusion created by an alien space creature.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,393 Arc User
    tigeraries wrote: »

It's actually named " Farpoint somethingsomething," so I think we are at least intended to believe that.
    Well, just because it's named "Farpoint creature" doesn't mean it's the same creature met at Farpoint. This has precedents IRL: a "guinea pig" isn't a pig and it doesn't even come from Guinea, a "ringworm" is not a worm and not even an animal (it's a fungus).

In science, many artifact titles have been given.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    There's a lot of stuff from earlier Star Trek series I would like to see added, but it's very unlikely that most of it will make its way into the game.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Farpoint doesn't exist anymore, the station was the alien creature, it left.

Directly from the "Encounter at Farpoint" pilot:
    Picard: "Captains Log, stardate 41174.2. The Agreement for the rebuilding of Farpoint Station has been completed per my instructions."

It's very much there even if the original was just an illusion created by an alien space creature.

Yep, Farpoint Station 2, is most likely there, now.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    The big problem with Farpoint Station is that, according to the Star Trek Star Charts the game bases it's in-game maps off of, Farpoint was located at the star Alpha Cygni,, which is located 3,230 LY from Earth, far far far far FAR beyond the limits of the game map

MAP EXPANSION! :smiley:

More work for our favorite map maker the Taco who must not be named.
    But not this guy.
    29ddacd.jpg
    This guy doesn't look anything like a Taco. :#
  • Options
    Well then they should scr*w around with the light years represented on the Sector Map like they did with weapons range on the Battle Maps - 10 km, hah.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    The problem with the Star Trek Universe is that 99% of everything ever seen in the Alpha/Beta Quadrants exists in an area of space no more then 200LY from Earth in any given direction.
    Only a problem for people who insist on arguing about the "proper" locations of things that in the original material have always been however near or far as the plot requires.
  • Options
    Well then we can build a Nearpoint Station instead. :D
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    ltminns wrote: »
    Well then they should scr*w around with the light years represented on the Sector Map like they did with weapons range on the Battle Maps - 10 km, hah.
    If they did that then we would end up in a situation where Farpoint would be on the very edge of the map, and everything we have in the map now would be squished into an area smaller then the Vulcan sector.

The problem with the Star Trek Universe is that 99% of everything ever seen in the Alpha/Beta Quadrants exists in an area of space no more then 200LY from Earth in any given direction.

But then you have like 20 or so worlds that were seen or mentioned that exist anywhere from 500, to 3000+ LY from earth, with everything in between being dead space because Trek writers were terrible about consistency.

True enough, but then along come a King of Nyrds type, Michael Okuda who manages to put it all together, warts and all, in one book.
    https://amazon.com/Star-Trek-Encyclopedia-Revised-Expanded/dp/0062371320

https://amazon.com/Star-Trek-Chronology-History-Future/dp/0671536109

Okay, more than one. ;)

Mike's my hero. I used to write with a group at ASR (alt.starfleet.rpg). Mike's book(s) helped me to keep my stories Trekishly accurate. That is to say, far more accurate than the differences found in Trek movies verus Trek series, but only slightly better than the differences between seasons one and seasons seven of any given series.