test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

ST Discovery: The Butchers knife cares not for the Lambs cry

Comments

• Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    and none of this matters because klingons still don't eat other klingons, and until they're shown ONSCREEN doing so, they aren't cannibals​​

We are assuming that they didn't eat their dead. Klingons think that the dead are only a shell. Of course, that is dependent on whether Discovery Klingons have the same religious rituals as TNG Klingons. If it is a choice between starvation and living to fight another day, then I could see Klingons eating their dead. It might be one of those things that Klingons don't like to talk about.

As one of the Robot Chicken skits for Star Trek proved, even the bravest of Starfleet officers is willing to resort to cannibalism if the situation is desperate enough.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    if it isn't shown onscreen, it didn't happen

no klingon was ever shown onscreen eating another klingon (and no, the albino doesn't count - first of all, he isn't a klingon and second of all, neither kor nor kang were shown eating his heart

statement of action != action)​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    valoreah wrote: »
    A great many physicists wouldn't beg to differ. Because progress is made on projects like the Alcubierre drive, you haven't paid attention to it's development, but I have. It's gone from impossible as a concept, to possible through a mathematical process, the energy is the limiting factor in the equation. The N factor is exotic energy to power it. We already have theoretical concepts of exotic energy, aka dark energy. There is also special equipment being designed to pick up the existence of exotic energy that is making progress in it's infancy that is able to detect it's existence. Special Relativity absolutely says space can be warped. In order to contract and expand space you need negative energy. Quantum mechanics says negative energy exists. That's real science. Warp drives are only science fiction because they don't yet exist, not even tapping into fusion reactors who could facilitate in creation of negative energy. To even compare Mycelial networks to a Warp drive on the scientific level is like comparing a child's fake butterknife to a surgeons scalpel. If you don't know the complexity & or practicality level difference you're arguing out of your education level.

The energy required for such a device being a "limiting factor" is quite the understatement, along with several other significant issues.

You can insult people all you like, it doesn't change the fact that this is fiction and all that is required is an imagination.
    However, val, what sets science fiction apart is that when science is invoked, it's supposed to be at least plausible in terms of the universe as best we can understand it. (Yes, that means some things in TOS have to be retconned, because Science Marches On.) So, warp drives and transporters have no solid theoretical basis - but there are limitations to what they can do, which mean they can't be an ultimate deus ex machina. And Jim Kirk waves around an energy weapon that can do anything from rendering a man unconscious to vaporizing a rock wall, but he's not going to suddenly manifest Force powers (unless a Sufficiently Advanced Alien uses its incomprehensible technology to imitate them).

On the other hand, OS's understanding of Alcubierre-White warp theory, and its current state of development, is... incomplete. And I've already posited a way to make Spore Drive into at least a soft SF concept, without invoking more than a very minimal level of technobabble.

But... Quantum entanglement only requires molecules, not anything alive. It's like making a fictional idea of a space ship powered on A B C D E F & G, when in reality we've already discovered you only need A. Spores are going backwards imo.
    Um, no. Quantum entanglement happens at the level of particles, not molecules, and there's no particular reason why something can't evolve to use quantum entanglement to create one large life form. The largest life form on Earth, after all, is a honey fungus measuring almost two and a half miles across, covering approximately 2200 square miles of the Malheur National Forest in the Blue Mountain region of Oregon. To the casual observer, not knowing of the underground mycelium connections, it looks like a whole bunch of individual mushrooms - but it's not.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    That is not in fact the case; we can produce quantum-entangled particle pairs today. (In fact, the most amazing development in this field so far, which sparked a bunch of misleading "transporter" headlines last summer, came when an entangled pair of photons was produced aboard the ISS, then beamed to two separate places on Earth some 750 miles apart without losing their entanglement.)

Given some of the other phenomena in Trek, a plant (well, plant-analogue - this isn't Earth, remember) that uses quantum entanglement to help itself spread across interstellar distances doesn't seem that unlikely. As I said, it's at least as plausible as transporters, which don't even have a technobabble explanation (when asked how transporters worked, Michael Okuda replied, "Quite well, thank you").
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    Other (Post your thoughts)
    There was a full body scene where the alien couple walked on the (bridge?) of their ship arguing about purity and all I heard was the classic duck tales theme in my head. It looked hilarious.

Calling these passionless, silent talking, duck like walking aliens Klingons? Thats not just bad anymore; its deliberate deconstruction of a fan base that has itself build up over decades.

Well; at least they are good for some cheap laughs when appearing (which retroactively makes me a bit sad thinking about it :/ ).

The rest was ok..ish. Its the story of a black ops ship and possibly ties to Section 31 (or something with a totally different name but does the totally same thing) with the captain being revealed a high ranking S31 operative at some point.
  • Options
    That is not in fact the case; we can produce quantum-entangled particle pairs today. (In fact, the most amazing development in this field so far, which sparked a bunch of misleading "transporter" headlines last summer, came when an entangled pair of photons was produced aboard the ISS, then beamed to two separate places on Earth some 750 miles apart without losing their entanglement.)

Given some of the other phenomena in Trek, a plant (well, plant-analogue - this isn't Earth, remember) that uses quantum entanglement to help itself spread across interstellar distances doesn't seem that unlikely. As I said, it's at least as plausible as transporters, which don't even have a technobabble explanation (when asked how transporters worked, Michael Okuda replied, "Quite well, thank you").

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Or my favorite variation of it, any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from technology. So what we think of as impossible might not be in 10,000 years or 1 million years.

A highly advanced race could in theory create a type of plant that uses quantum entanglement to communicate with distant inhabited planets. It seems to be a common trope where some ancient alien race develops some form of interstellar network that intentionally or unintentionally helps out younger races in travelling faster than light.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I Like it
    Plant life on Earth alraedy uses quantum effects - photosynthesis.

Now mind you, the whole idea that quantum entanglement represents teleportation or FTL communication is a misconception, but that hasn't stopped other Sci Fi writers and franchises from using it either.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    originalspockoriginalspock Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    I don't like it

Too improbable imo. Runs far too much into the realm of magic for me. Just because a plant system seems amazing, doesn't mean that it is. We see no universal system within the known universe that could make this concept a reality. I would say it's more probable to find a giant villainous cockroach alien to be chased around by Will Smith.
  • Options
    I don't like it
    starkaos wrote: »

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Or my favorite variation of it, any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from technology. So what we think of as impossible might not be in 10,000 years or 1 million years.

A highly advanced race could in theory create a type of plant that uses quantum entanglement to communicate with distant inhabited planets. It seems to be a common trope where some ancient alien race develops some form of interstellar network that intentionally or unintentionally helps out younger races in travelling faster than light.

Inert subatomic particles are the path of least resistance in the concept of entanglement. There's no known better representation. To say that plants are somehow going to be more effective at entanglement in the face of what we already know is a very ^ 100 backwards way of thinking. Sadly Star Wars "hyperspace" which is another magical dimension is far more logical because it's not about farming our way to the Kessel run.
  • Options
    I don't like it
    reyan01 wrote: »
    and none of this matters because klingons still don't eat other klingons, and until they're shown ONSCREEN doing so, they aren't cannibals​​

We are assuming that they didn't eat their dead. Klingons think that the dead are only a shell. Of course, that is dependent on whether Discovery Klingons have the same religious rituals as TNG Klingons.

Interesting question. Whilst not necessarily indicative of rituals for the Klingons in general, T'Kuvma's followers certainly followed a ritual (i.e placing the dead in caskets and placing those caskets on the hull of their ship.

The question is whether said ritual is commonplace or not, or is a very old ritual that was lost to time, that T'Kuvma followed.

T'Kuvma is Star Trek's Jar Jar Binks.
  • Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    I Like it

We are assuming that they didn't eat their dead. Klingons think that the dead are only a shell. Of course, that is dependent on whether Discovery Klingons have the same religious rituals as TNG Klingons.

Interesting question. Whilst not necessarily indicative of rituals for the Klingons in general, T'Kuvma's followers certainly followed a ritual (i.e placing the dead in caskets and placing those caskets on the hull of their ship.

The question is whether said ritual is commonplace or not, or is a very old ritual that was lost to time, that T'Kuvma followed.

That would be Neelix, actually...
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options

Inert subatomic particles are the path of least resistance in the concept of entanglement. There's no known better representation. To say that plants are somehow going to be more effective at entanglement in the face of what we already know is a very ^ 100 backwards way of thinking. Sadly Star Wars "hyperspace" which is another magical dimension is far more logical because it's not about farming our way to the Kessel run.

If an alien race wants to create an interstellar network, then plant life that releases seeds that can travel in space would be the way to go. Just seed a few major planets, wait a few thousand years, and an interstellar network is created without having to visit each star system with a habitable planet.

Hope this was said was in jest (can't tell) as I see absolutely no compairison whatsoever otherwise.

It is based on the theory that Jar Jar Binks is actually a Sith Lord.

• Options
    I Like it
    patrickngo wrote: »

Now mind you, the whole idea that quantum entanglement represents teleportation or FTL communication is a misconception, but that hasn't stopped other Sci Fi writers and franchises from using it either.

actually, Photosynthesis doesn't occur at the SUB atomic level, it's a straight chemical process that they explained to us back in sixth grade in the 1980s. (it's just crushingly expensive to replicate artificially.)

it's straight, basic, organic chemistry, not advanced physics, and certainly not mysterious and full of strange potentials.
    I am not claiming it's mysterious or full of strange potentials.

For a chemical description, the light is basically a black box effect that you just consider as being required for a chemical reaction, but to actually understand it, you need to look at the quantum mechanical description of the involved molecules and photons.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    It's a big part of the problem here-this stuff looks more powerful and advanced than it is, because so much of the audience either didn't take the basic classes in school, or have forgotten them because they were so very long ago (ad they pay attention when they were taking the classes. Thank you standardized fill in the bubble testing! thank you crippled education system!)
    The SporeDrive(tm) is powered by drama, the most efficient source of plot power utilized by hack writers. The science behind it is irrelevant. It is a self perpetuating source of drama because of the lovable murder-machine that suffers each time the drive is activated. The conflict this will generate between unlikeable characters will propel this ship forward so it can secretly seed Klingon worlds with tribbles, causing an Empire-wide famine. This will bring an end to the Klingon-Federation War, and the Federation Council will give Lorca and his crew a full pardon, just like Kirk in Star Trek IV.

With all this drama, the SporeDrive(tm) will have enough power to visit the Kelvins in Andromeda.
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User

Even these guys seem to lose faith and their positivity.

I'm really starting to dislike the Klingon scenes. This mambo-jambo gets old very quickly. Please, for goodness sake, make them speak English. They sounded like they had a hot patato in their mouthes and didin't have the slightest clue what it was they were saying.

With Martok or Gowron you didn't have to learn Klingon to know what they had said in their original language scenes. In Discovery they could make a joke, talk about laying out a flower garden or threaten to kill someone, you wouldn't be able to tell.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    szim wrote: »

I'm really starting to dislike the Klingon scenes. This mambo-jambo gets old very quickly. Please, for goodness sake, make them speak English. They sounded like they had a hot patato in their mouthes and didin't have the slightest clue what it was they were saying.

With Martok or Gowron you didn't have to learn Klingon to know what they had said in their original language scenes. In Discovery they could make a joke, talk about laying out a flower garden or threaten to kill someone, you wouldn't be able to tell.

If the Klingons here are this bad....with enemies like this, who needs allies....they're gonna kick their own behinds at this rate.

I guess these guys watched someone like Joan Rivers speaking, since she pretty much had as much facial movements as well.
    That, or they all had a stroke at some time.....

......rather than the "Fetish Convention Klingons", call them the "Plastic Surgery Addict Klingons", or the "Jim Ross Klingons"......
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    szim wrote: »

If the Klingons here are this bad....with enemies like this, who needs allies....they're gonna kick their own behinds at this rate.

I guess these guys watched someone like Joan Rivers speaking, since she pretty much had as much facial movements as well.
    That, or they all had a stroke at some time.....

......rather than the "Fetish Convention Klingons", call them the "Plastic Surgery Addict Klingons", or the "Jim Ross Klingons"......

too much work. "Klingork" fits better.

And like Samuel in the Trek Yards review said, regarding the dilthium planet...."Send in the Constitutions, Send in the Constitutions!"
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    redvenge wrote: »
    The SporeDrive(tm) is powered by drama, the most efficient source of plot power utilized by hack writers. The science behind it is irrelevant. It is a self perpetuating source of drama because of the lovable murder-machine that suffers each time the drive is activated. The conflict this will generate between unlikeable characters will propel this ship forward so it can secretly seed Klingon worlds with tribbles, causing an Empire-wide famine. This will bring an end to the Klingon-Federation War, and the Federation Council will give Lorca and his crew a full pardon, just like Kirk in Star Trek IV.

With all this drama, the SporeDrive(tm) will have enough power to visit the Kelvins in Andromeda.

Yeah, sure, this is hack device powered by drama whereas all other Trek tech is what's known as 'hard science fact' right?

How deep are people having to dig to find new sources of whine?​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User

statement of action != action)​​
    I don't really care about the topic in question, but this claim struck me as odd. I don't think you can claim to understand fictional universes if all you think hat happened is what was shown. That logic is basically implying that none of the characters were even born because their births weren't shown. It's a blatant disregard of the acknowledgement of continuity.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    orangeitis wrote: »

statement of action != action)
    I don't really care about the topic in question, but this claim struck me as odd. I don't think you can claim to understand fictional universes if all you think hat happened is what was shown. That logic is basically implying that none of the characters were even born because their births weren't shown. It's a blatant disregard of the acknowledgement of continuity.

But their presence implies their births. Only 'what's onscreen counts' means you can't just add your own fanon and expect a level playing field. You can draw conclusions like Kor might have eaten the Albinos heart but there's no way of knowing if he would or not. However we see Kor implying at some point Kor must have been born.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    I Like it

actually, Photosynthesis doesn't occur at the SUB atomic level, it's a straight chemical process that they explained to us back in sixth grade in the 1980s. (it's just crushingly expensive to replicate artificially.)

it's straight, basic, organic chemistry, not advanced physics, and certainly not mysterious and full of strange potentials.

For a chemical description, the light is basically a black box effect that you just consider as being required for a chemical reaction, but to actually understand it, you need to look at the quantum mechanical description of the involved molecules and photons.

it's just an energy source, Mustrum, look up "Thermalsynthesis" for a similar process in deep ocean trenches using HEAT. It's Chemistry. and while chemistry has lots of mysteries yet to be unlocked, the processes don't require the kind of high energy inputs that, say, moving an object from one side of the solar system to the other in an eyeblink do.

Basically, to be able to use your "Spore drive" you need all the equipment and knowledge to make a quantum-state jump-drive already.

It's akin to using a miniaturized nuclear power plant to heat woodchips to fuel your internal combustion engine. If you can build the nuclear power plant, you don't need the wood gasifier you're using to power it. Same thing here.
    The idea seems to be that the spores create a network across the universe (or galaxy at least?).

You make the comparison to the nuclear power plant, but the real thing you need to compare it to is something like... the internet, I suppose. Or a telephone network. A single phone or fax machine is a neat invention that serves no practical purposes. If you have two of them, things get interesting. If you have a billion of them, it opens up completely new opportunities you might even be able to predict in advance.

The spore network is already there, across the entire galaxy (or more?). Maybe you could try to build your own, and in a few centuries, millenia or whatever long time spam you would have something useful.

The spore network is basically infrastructure.
  • Options
    I don't like it

it's just an energy source, Mustrum, look up "Thermalsynthesis" for a similar process in deep ocean trenches using HEAT. It's Chemistry. and while chemistry has lots of mysteries yet to be unlocked, the processes don't require the kind of high energy inputs that, say, moving an object from one side of the solar system to the other in an eyeblink do.

Basically, to be able to use your "Spore drive" you need all the equipment and knowledge to make a quantum-state jump-drive already.

It's akin to using a miniaturized nuclear power plant to heat woodchips to fuel your internal combustion engine. If you can build the nuclear power plant, you don't need the wood gasifier you're using to power it. Same thing here.
    The idea seems to be that the spores create a network across the universe (or galaxy at least?).

You make the comparison to the nuclear power plant, but the real thing you need to compare it to is something like... the internet, I suppose. Or a telephone network. A single phone or fax machine is a neat invention that serves no practical purposes. If you have two of them, things get interesting. If you have a billion of them, it opens up completely new opportunities you might even be able to predict in advance.

The spore network is already there, across the entire galaxy (or more?). Maybe you could try to build your own, and in a few centuries, millenia or whatever long time spam you would have something useful.

The spore network is basically infrastructure.

The problem is we already have the technology to do whatever we want across the galaxy, we've been getting a signal from Voyager for a long time, and as tech improves there will be better, faster, more efficient voyagers. Through automation and robotics we don't need seeds. Robots can't die. They are immortal. If we send an A.I. into the deepest regions of space all they need to do is entangle x amount of mass and it's done. There's zero need to incorporate a biological component to immortality. Which is why the BORG envied Data. lol