test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

NOT ENJOYABLE

Comments

• zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    Bah, can you imagine how much you people would whine if the minigames were actually engaging (read: HARD)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgt17LwmT7c

GOOD GOD, THAT MUSIC IS ANNOYING! :p
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
    trennan wrote: »
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    Bah, can you imagine how much you people would whine if the minigames were actually engaging (read: HARD)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgt17LwmT7c

Why not make all the mini-game Oregon Trail?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8rXtXG735w
    edited October 2017
    ltminns wrote: »
    And just how many good for nothing lazy Romulans do we have to berate into doing something, anything, while we fix every blasted piece of machinery that keeps falling apart. ;)

Yeah, they should scrape that one shuttle and build a new one for how many times I have to fix it. :p
  • trekpuppytrekpuppy Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    The duty officer assignments
    Can you please share more details about this? Where do we find the doff missions that reward colony provisions?

---
    "-Grind is good!" --Gordon Geko
    Accolades checklist: https://bit.ly/FLUFFYS
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    trekpuppy wrote: »
    Can you please share more details about this? Where do we find the doff missions that reward colony provisions?
    I think he was saying that it'd be nice to have them.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    trekpuppy wrote: »

At Tier 1 of Morale/Infrastructure/Renewable Energy, an upgrade project is unlocked to get a Tactical/Engineering/Science Duty Officer contact. Have no idea where they will be, but I assume they will be found in their respective area.

It is possible that these duty officer contacts will have nothing to do with provisions, but the Dilithium Mine provisions and Research Lab provisions are available by getting a crit on the Dilithium Mine and Research Lab duty officer assignments. Since the only way to get these provisions is not through the replicator, then it makes sense that each of the colony duty officer assignments gives a certain amount of provisions by completing the assignment and getting a crit will provide much more. We should know by the end of the week what the colony duty officer assignments reward.
  • sierrafortunesierrafortune Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    Minigames like the ones in STO aren't supposed to be enjoyable. Like other games, such as the later additions to the Fallout series, they're supposed to present a choice: waste your time or give up something in order to stop. In most games that's something like a feat or a skill unlock or what have you that you could otherwise spend on something that would improve your character in more direct ways. In STO it's either money or more time. You can just buy zen and sell it, or you can do other content which won't reward with dilithium as fast but is...well actual content. For things like the Omega event it can make sense in terms of investment/reward both for those making it and for the players.

The problem is they're being added to everything. They are time wasters that reward you with nothing in the middle of episodes that makes no sense. Other such methods that were used in previous episodes to the same effect (such as working out some math on a terminal in an outpost) weren't the best way to go about it either, but had numerous advantages over the minigame system. The number one being that the minigame system is prone to failure with sudden spikes of lag, which I'm sure most of us have experienced as of late with more people coming back to check out the new season.

The colony minigames are thus particularly bad because

1) We have minigames out the wazoo already. The Dil and Radiation minigames are particularly bad offenders since they've been around for nearly half a decade now.
    2) The "do this boring thing to get things you could get elsewhere faster" aspect of minigame design fails because it's being being applied to something which already existed without them. Previous takes on gathering provisions were far more effective and there was no real reason to change it. Except I guess maybe really quickly adding something to the colony map for players to do as it would otherwise be mostly void and little used.
    3) The payout is pitifully small. For the amount of busywork needed to upgrade the colony to the later tiers, the rewards simply don't justify it.

The one thing that really works (well when it actually works) is the coffer system. This is pretty great especially since it gives people an opportunity to still get fleet credits when projects are full.

If a change to the way provision gathering needs to be done it should be something that can be not only done solo, but also something that's actually enjoyable with the minigames possibly remaining as a method of faster gathering. Actually take advantage of the big, gorgeous, map and add something akin to the Defera Invasion Zone where you have missions that can be solo'd, done with another person, or done with ~4 people. More enganging content than that on Defera would be a plus, but nearly anything is a step above minigame grind.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    All the mini-games should award the same amount of the particular Provision at the same point level. 715 gives 250 PERIOD.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    All the mini-games should award the same amount of the particular Provision at the same point level. 715 gives 250 PERIOD.

The Omega Particle should require a different number to give 250 due to its score being different. After all, it is difficult to get 900 for Radiation and Mining, but it is difficult to not get 900 in Omega Particles. Although, I would be satisfied with getting a different minigame instead of the Omega Particle minigame since Omega Particles has nothing to do with Coral or Luxury.

If the Luxury minigame is changed to something else, then 715 gives 250 for each minigame would be good.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    Here you go.. your new mini-game.

1x9scg.gifvia Imgflip GIF Maker
    Mm5NeXy.gif
    I have never gotten 900 in the Omega game. One time two years ago I got a 700 or so but usually get in the 500s at best, though I got a 600 something one time today. I have always had the two jumps and during that particles fly right over me.

The way things have been going it takes me one game to do Ore, two for Batteries, and five for Coral.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I've only ever done one repeat of a minigame to get the 250 provisions. The Omega game is a bit glitchy for me, but I still manage to get what I need with only one repeat.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    I like that there ARE minigames, I just wish they were more entertaining.

I've always preferred the idea of actually DOING something when I play, rather than clicking one button and waiting 20 hours.

There will be a new PvE when your base hits Tier 1.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    Unless I am misinterpreting what is being said (and it's actually about Tribble) I see no way any Colony Subsection Holding on Holodeck can be to Tier 1 already.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    Unless I am misinterpreting what is being said (and it's actually about Tribble) I see no way any Colony Subsection Holding on Holodeck can be to Tier 1 already.

I expect first T1 holdings for the simulation around Friday.
    animated.gif
    Phew!! We are going to finish up the third Projects runs tonight. I did not notice that any Colony projects were slotted until Friday evening as I hadn't checked before then. Everything was filled in except most of the Provisions. I finished those up. I did the Saturday and Sunday night Projects solo. We obviously will be a bit behind that Friday date.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited October 2017
    Phew!! We are going to finish up the third Projects runs tonight. I did not notice that any Colony projects were slotted until Friday evening as I hadn't checked before then. Everything was filled in except most of the Provisions. I finished those up. I did the Saturday and Sunday night Projects solo. We obviously will be a bit behind that Friday date.

Well my FED & KDF fleets intend to host the simulations at the earliest opportunity. Since we are unable to round up 20 peeps for this we decided to simply make calls in DPS Bronze to fill ranks.

On tribble we have managed to do the simulation with down to 3 players (1/4 of the generators saved). We got a reward of 600 of each of the 3 provisions types for each player. For more generators saved the payout gets much better so the more peeps we can invite the better.

Feel always free to join up when you see calls in Bronze. It’s the best ticked out of mini-games. :)
    animated.gif
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Than don't do it.

^ This says it all. Fleets were never designed with small, casual groups in mind. Annoying to no end, yes, but it is what it is.

IMO fleets and holdings should be adjusted for smaller size groups, but that is a different topic.

There's also nothing that says the only two options are "max out all fleet holdings" or "disband fleet". Get it up to T2 or 3, if you want & can. Or just do T1. Or set T4 as a long term goal for kicks. /shrug
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    kiralyn wrote: »
    There's also nothing that says the only two options are "max out all fleet holdings" or "disband fleet". Get it up to T2 or 3, if you want & can. Or just do T1. Or set T4 as a long term goal for kicks. /shrug
    ^ That too.
    Or like my fleet slowly plod along until you eventually get it done. Tier upgrades sometimes take weeks to fill... but we get them done eventually.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    kiralyn wrote: »
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Than don't do it.

^ This says it all. Fleets were never designed with small, casual groups in mind. Annoying to no end, yes, but it is what it is.

IMO fleets and holdings should be adjusted for smaller size groups, but that is a different topic.

There is also nothing that says, "Join a fleet." or "Level a fleet." This is just optional content, with a few minor perks. none of which hurts the game if they were to remove them, or if you played without them.

It's just a way for them to add something, to give the players something to do, while not actually providing any real benefit. It also serves to distract the players attention. In other words, "Pay attention to the pretty, shiny thing over here. And not to anything over there."

And before you say it. No, the powercreep you can get from a fleet, is not a real benefit. You can get that outside of a fleet. Or join a fleet, get it, and leave the fleet. Which makes the fleet system, one of the most useless parts of the game.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • philosopherephilosophere Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    Is this fun?

A person with 8 characters, all parked on Dranuur, each equipped with frosted boots and hover-boards, will be there for about 12 straight hours to amass enough batteries/luxuries/ore to completely upgrade the colony to tier one.

Oh yea, don't forget about all the other inputs needed....

(2 cycles of rad-scam and 1 each of omega & mine, got 7 toons through in 50 mins)
    Are we there yet?
    This is making me think that everyone who plays should be in only one group just to get all of the stuff a group seems to need.
  • trekpuppytrekpuppy Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    If you guys had boycotted the endeavors like people said to then we wouldn't have these mini games.

"If people will do endeavors, they will do anything"

Question is if endeavors and minigames generate more profit for Cryptic than other content...
    ---
    "-Grind is good!" --Gordon Geko
    Accolades checklist: https://bit.ly/FLUFFYS
  • bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    Minigames are boring as !$$.

For real open up ability to get provisions from ANY fleet mark PvE queue. This system is way too grindy.​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.