test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

NOT ENJOYABLE

The stupid mini-games are not enjoyable at all when you have to do them over and over again. This entire colony world system is absolutely ridiculous, requiring too much time for smaller fleets.

Comments

• tvirxtvirx Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    I like them, so does this mean that I cancel you out?
  • emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Than don't do it.

Exactly right. Show Cryptic what a critical screwup they made with this season by not playing the game. The more players who throw up their hands and quit because of the ridiculous time investment asked of them, the better. It worked for Delta Rising and it'll work here. The devs will eventually see their godawful mistake and make colony provisions buyable. Of course, by then it'll be too late, just like with Delta Rising.
  • sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    All small fleets have a problem with fleet holdings. No different here.
    The mini games are not so bad.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    From tribble calculations it should take about 240 days to finish up the whole Colony holding if you dedicate doing them 24X7.

For those who like it... enjoy till your eyes bleed tiger-2.gif​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    The Contrarians have arrived.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0RpmwqaxrwA
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    From tribble calculations it should take about 240 days to finish up the whole Colony holding if you dedicate doing them 24X7.

For those who like it... enjoy till your eyes bleed tiger-2.gif​​

So, a 5 tier fleet holding, then? That's about how long the Starbase takes starting from scratch, too.
    ltminns wrote: »

I don't hate the minigames, and I give the developers credit for trying something different with this holding. That being said, I think that this would have been best saved for another smaller holding, and not for something that already has a built-in wait of over 200 days at minimum to complete just due to its size, or at least scaled much farther back thab they ultimately did. The minigames for provisions don't seem so bad at Tier 1, but by Tier 4, there's going to be some serious tedium going on.

B+ for the inspiration, C- for the implementation, and I'm being generous on the latter.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    There is automatic goods collection and duty officer assignments for getting to Tier 1 which should relieve some of the pain.
  • indysharkindyshark Member Posts: 1,543 Arc User
    I hate the mini-games!
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User

That video says it all right there about people who love this...
  • haxxsaw#9362 haxxsaw Member Posts: 77 Arc User

Yes they have. The same people that will claim the sky is yellow if one were to say it is blue.
  • dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    Our fleets dont seem to be having problems with the games just yet. We have 3 fleets Fed side and not one has a project with spots to fill so a fair few members still have provisions to spare. Of course things will slow later when costs rise substantially but for now it is too early to complain. Yes we are a large fleet though with a fair few active players.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    I can't say I'm excited by the minigames, but I certainly can stand them. It's not nearly as much mini-gaming as it was back when we had the hourly events (I'd run 5 characters through Dil Mining in an hour. That's 25x the ore minigame), or when farming Omega particles during the anniversaries (I think 10 minigame runs of each color particle is enough to generate one Omega tech. So do that at least once a day during the anniv....)

Doing the three minigames once a day on my 4 fleet alts? Just a minor bump in the road. And with the Coffer system, anyone else doing them builds up reserves for when the projects get bigger....
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    Right. Those who complain that they're pushing us into more of these minigames are missing the other side of the feedback loop. They give us dilithium weekends and people flock to the mines. They give us the Omega game for Anniversaries and we gorge ourselves. It's not hard to imagine why they throw more minigames at us.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Yep, you got it. The Contrarians are the ones that say that the mini-games are the greatest thing since sliced bread. People tolerate it for the Omega because of the perceived benefit from them. People tolerate it for Mining because everything needs Dilitium.

Cryptic believes that they need these things added to every new Featured Episode. Must add another minute to the Episode. Metrics©®™, don't you know. It looked pretty obvious from the Nexus episode that they really didn't QA the new background on the Holodeck Security Bypass (the normal Dilitium mini-game). Yellow? Really?

The Beatles expressed it best:

'You say yes, I say no
    You say stop and I say go go go, oh no
    You say goodbye and I say hello
    Hello hello
    I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello
    Hello hello
    I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello

I say high, you say low
    You say why and I say I don't know, oh no
    You say goodbye and I say hello...'
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    indyshark wrote: »
    I hate the mini-games!

I hate every single one of them. It turned me off when doing featured episodes. They need to give us an option to skip doing them and fast.
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    anodynes wrote: »
    Right. Those who complain that they're pushing us into more of these minigames are missing the other side of the feedback loop. They give us dilithium weekends and people flock to the mines. They give us the Omega game for Anniversaries and we gorge ourselves. It's not hard to imagine why they throw more minigames at us.

Dilithium Weekend is once a month, tops, and Omega is once a year. Whereas, the Fleet is going to need grinding for more than an entire year, if not longer, unless the automated gathering system is completely capable of filling the later Tiers on its own.
  • sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    In your opinion, others disagree.

You find the mini games fun? You're most likely the only person ever.

Two of the mini games I find as fun. One of them I find frustrating because of the "skipping" that occurs and the pieces not being recognized as going into the bucket. I am not sure that particular mini-game is good on the internet as is.

Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    The mini-games are the windows into our very souls. Look inside yourselves the next time you play. See the truth.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    tom61sto wrote: »
    anodynes wrote: »

Dilithium Weekend is once a month, tops, and Omega is once a year. Whereas, the Fleet is going to need grinding for more than an entire year, if not longer, unless the automated gathering system is completely capable of filling the later Tiers on its own.

Not quite a year. The last projection for this I saw was, if a fleet can keep the grind and the projects going 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They can complete this fleet holding in 230 days.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    so you hate minigames... suggest an alternative?
    Personally I kinda like that theyve been at least trying to add non-combat aspects to missions with the mini-games. Not the best solution probably but it fits well within the MMO's mechanics. For the colony holding, again I kinda like that they want us involved with the building of it, would love to have seen them do this with Mol'Rihan(New Romulus). Again minigames can be tedious but given the limitations of a video game, and an mmo at that, I think it fits well.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    so you hate minigames... suggest an alternative?
    Personally I kinda like that theyve been at least trying to add non-combat aspects to missions with the mini-games. Not the best solution probably but it fits well within the MMO's mechanics. For the colony holding, again I kinda like that they want us involved with the building of it, would love to have seen them do this with Mol'Rihan(New Romulus). Again minigames can be tedious but given the limitations of a video game, and an mmo at that, I think it fits well.

I haven't bothered with these mini-games. But as a suggestion

The Scavenger Hunt from the First Contact Day Event, perhaps?
    Mm5NeXy.gif
    see? thats productive... 'waaa I hate this' w/o offering other options is not
  • postinggumpostinggum Member Posts: 1,117 Arc User
    The mini games make no sense in the colony setting as part of the STO fictional world. We need to be doing at least one of: buying, crafting , looting or finding them. How difficult would it have been to code in a treasure hunt or crafting project?
  • postinggumpostinggum Member Posts: 1,117 Arc User
    Heres a better suggestion a mission in which a shuttle approaches but is attacked - kill the bad guys and get the stuff, could be those bugs, Tzenkethi or random mercs.
    postinggum wrote: »
    Heres a better suggestion a mission in which a shuttle approaches but is attacked - kill the bad guys and get the stuff, could be those bugs, Tzenkethi or random mercs.

Id file that under 'worse suggestion' personally... you want some mindless pew pew? go queue for RA or run argala
  • usskentuckyusskentucky Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    In the future technology has made it so that all labor is completed by doing three minigames.