test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

In-map transition help needed

I'd want to transition from one section of the map to another so that player is laying in a(n open) medical bed when transition is done how would one do that if the player isn't already laid down when the transition starts (or if that's even possible in the foundry), sorry for being vague but specifics as to how the player ends up in the medbed are a spoiler for the mission.

Comments

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Short answer: it's going to be a hell of a lot of very precise work and you ultimately won't get what you want out of it (no way around animation problems). So, I recommend that you try to find narrative work around to this problem. Namely: uses standard map transition that places the player next to a biobed on the next map. You can then proceed with dialog as you would have otherwise (implying that they just got up, the feeling of which is helped by the in-game discontinuity of the loading screen.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    Short answer: it's going to be a hell of a lot of very precise work and you ultimately won't get what you want out of it (no way around animation problems). So, I recommend that you try to find narrative work around to this problem. Namely: uses standard map transition that places the player next to a biobed on the next map. You can then proceed with dialog as you would have otherwise (implying that they just got up, the feeling of which is helped by the in-game discontinuity of the loading screen.)
    I wanted to avoid having to split it to 2 maps as
    it's the final map (or second to last and last if split) so I didn't want to end on a map that's essentially just a bit of dialogue, however if splitting the maps is the best option it does give me room to change the map a bit
    edited September 2017
    Then you may want to adjust your parameters to work with the limitations of the Foundry. What I can say is that transitioning the player to be lying down on a biobed is what makes the idea practically infeasible. If the player is simply present near a biobed (ie. that they simply transition into sickbay at any give location and orientation) then the standard trick of replacing one custom build for another on an objective trigger would be viable.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    Then you may want to adjust your parameters to work with the limitations of the Foundry. What I can say is that transitioning the player to be lying down on a biobed is what makes the idea practically infeasible. If the player is simply present near a biobed (ie. that they simply transition into sickbay at any give location and orientation) then the standard trick of replacing one custom build for another on an objective trigger would be viable.
    that's how I'm doing it now with an animation to "hide" the switch.
    I'm having the console the player is working on explode on him/her and use that to spawn in the hospital room walls and roof (the floor will already be there to keep the assets being loaded as small amount as possible).
    edited September 2017
    Have you tried placing the biobed where the player is working? Ie. running the transition? (since it seems like you're already working on this) What issues have you encountered? The two I'm concerned about are:

1. Consistently lining up the player with the incoming biobed.
    2. The player interpenetrating with the spawning object, trapping them.

If 1 works and 2 doesn't you could build the sickbay just below the first map. Have the biobed already in place just beneath the first floor (so you don't have to worry about load order) then remove the floor (and any other parts of the first map that are required.)

The animations - "Fall Down" and "Lie flat - front" would allow for an appropriate animation transition, but the player will not remain lying down with these (I tested when you first asked the question.) The player may notice that they were lying down in sickbay, but for any lengthy dialog they will be standing on a biobed (which may be quite jarring.) So, there will always be a significant problem with the scene as originally intended, and in my opinion they outweigh the benefit of proceeding through the scene without modification.

That's why I suggested reworking it from the point of writing. With the foundry we're working under significant limitations. Not all ideas are viable. Working around these problems via other means is often required, and I do recommend that here. Ex. spawn the player next to the biobed (proceeding through the scene identically in every other respect) with the idea that they have just gotten up. It will fit what we can achieve more effectively, IMO.
    Have you tried placing the biobed where the player is working? Ie. running the transition? (since it seems like you're already working on this) What issues have you encountered? The two I'm concerned about are:

1. Consistently lining up the player with the incoming biobed.
    2. The player interpenetrating with the spawning object, trapping them.

If 1 works and 2 doesn't you could build the sickbay just below the first map. Have the biobed already in place just beneath the first floor (so you don't have to worry about load order) then remove the floor (and the rest of the first map which needs to go.)

The animations - "Fall Down" and "Lie flat - front" would allow for an appropriate transition, but the player will not remain lying down with these (I tested when you first posed the question.) The player may notice that they were lying down in sickbay, but for any lengthy dialog they will be standing on a biobed (which may be jarring to some players.) So, there will always be a significant problem with the scene as originally intended. That's why I suggested reworking it from the point of writing. With the foundry we're working under significant limitations. Not all ideas are viable. Working around these problems via other means is often required, and I do recommend that here.

my chief issue in addition of the asset count is that the away team seems to spawn inside the wall once the transition is done other then that there isn't major issues I can't deal with dialogue if needed, but splitting the map seems like the better option here as it allows me to expand the earlier part of the map and will make the transition for me.
    Well I've split the map to 2 seperate maps now, it allowed me more freedom and just seemed less of a headache, I'll probably post some WIP screenshots of the hospital part soon.
    Are we talking about a player or an NPC here, because as far as I know you can't force animate a player anyway?

you can force animate a player to degree (have them do an objective and animate them doing an action at same time, like having an objective to scan something and then have the character use a tricoder on screen while doing so) either way, I've changed how those 2 missions work now and this thread is redundant.

That said I'm willing to leave this thread open for general in-map transition help.