test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Any old school CoH/CoV players here?

reemus#2383 reemus Member Posts: 185 Arc User
Have talked to a couple of people around stations who had ship names that were very familiar.... I heard that a lot of people from the best MMO that ever existed came over here to STO when it died... Played on Champion from day 1 to day 0 and haven't seen anyone since... would love to hook up and run a few with some of the old crew from those days.

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Have you tried asking on the Champions Forum? https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/championsonline/#/categories
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Guilty, guilty, guilty myself, have the fire/kin t-shirt.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • knightraider6knightraider6 Member Posts: 396 Arc User
    Ditto. I've even brought characters from that universe to this one. Schrodi used to work at Portal Corp before becoming a quantum catgirl.
    "It may be better to be a live jackal than a dead lion, but it is better still to be a live lion. And usually easier." R.A.Heinlein

"he's as dangerous as a ferret with a chainsaw."

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    I never played it, but I actually saw a physical copy of CoV today.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I never played it, but I actually saw a physical copy of CoV today.

There has been quite a few times that I mentioned to a computer game store that a MMO game no longer works due to the servers shut down. A few days later, it is still there. NCSoft seems to have a reputation of shutting down MMOs even if they are profitable.

Had a few characters on the Infinity server and started with a Stalker that I played until Grandville came out and then went for a Ninja Mastermind as my main account. It was possible to make your character look like a Genin and maybe even a Jounin and I had one of my costume slots look like a Genin. Might have been a decent PvP strategy to make your name and appearance look like one of your henchmen.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Well... I was actually working at the Goodwill, and someone donated a copy, complete with book. We couldn't use it because it wasn't in the box. Could have been a collector piece but... it got tossed into the Outlet box. What really hurt though was having to outlet Starfleet Command vol 2 and MechCommander 2. Funny thing is MechWarrior 2 ended up being sent to the Online store.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    You know, if you still want to scratch that supers itch, there's a couple of supergroups in Champions Online composed of refugees from lost Paragon City...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    yes, if you hurry you can come to millennium city in time to get stepped on by a Mega-Destroid :D
    screenshot_2016_09_24_15_08_49_by_marhawkman-daivb83.jpg
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Something about Champions combat and the system breakdown just never grabbed me. - maybe because of the pen and paper translation to video game felt opaque, dunno.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
    <never played the pen and paper version :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Ironically enough, my first "main" - a Force Field/Energy Blast defender - was originally written up as a tabletop Champs character, almost ten years before CoH came along. I've been tempted, now and then, to buy the Impulse archetype to remake her again - bring her home, as it were - but... it just wouldn't be the same, and I don't play CO enough to justify the cost, minimal though it is.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    Looks like Albert Zerstoiten is up to his usual machinations with his giant machines. Where is the Dark Destroyer in all this? xD

I used to play a bit of Champions for another two years, but the quality i felt went downhill after F2P hit that game and lost interest. But there is still a reason i haven't returned to it though, Champions is being neglected for the most part by Cryptic and i don't like the direction it's been going the past few years.

I am willing to go back through it at some point, maybe nostalgia? not sure. I still have a few good characters, but nothing really up to date.. goodness 4 years out of date!

I never played CoH or CoV but CO has given that option to play a superhero.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    Zerstoiten dispatched the Mega-Destroids that bedeviled us the week before last. Last week, Mechanon v50 stepped in. (Once you drop a single Mega D, Mechanon arrives and begins working to "liberate" and upgrade the remainder. It's important not to let any individual Mega D drop below 1/3 hp before you're ready for the final fight - a Liberated Destroid at full strength is a formidable foe indeed.)

The event's over now, though - probably going to get a Blood Moon at the end of the month, as Takofanes arises and summons his undead minions to attack...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    Looks like Albert Zerstoiten is up to his usual machinations with his giant machines. Where is the Dark Destroyer in all this? xD

I used to play a bit of Champions for another two years, but the quality i felt went downhill after F2P hit that game and lost interest. But there is still a reason i haven't returned to it though, Champions is being neglected for the most part by Cryptic and i don't like the direction it's been going the past few years.

I am willing to go back through it at some point, maybe nostalgia? not sure. I still have a few good characters, but nothing really up to date.. goodness 4 years out of date!

I never played CoH or CoV but CO has given that option to play a superhero.
    That IS Shadow Destroyer in those vids I posted. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • reemus#2383 reemus Member Posts: 185 Arc User

I remember just before CoX dropped Champions was being "talked about"... Never got to it but hmmm.
    From what I've heard it plays a lot different, but a lot of people tell me it's better. I never actually played CoH so I don't really know.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    From what I've heard it plays a lot different, but a lot of people tell me it's better. I never actually played CoH so I don't really know.

i used to find the crisis at lemuria a change of pace from the usual before heading out to monster island. the underwater space marine is one i won't forget. xD
    CoH had cooldowns on all the attacks. It was frustrating when I tried it, because the character I wanted fired lightning from his hands, but the game said he could pop off a single zap about like a taser, then had to punch the bad guys until his single zap power came off cooldown.

In CO, your basic attack doesn't use energy - it builds it. (In fact, it's called an Energy Builder attack.) My lightning guy there shoots smaller bolts of electricity, which sometimes arc to nearby targets, while he builds energy for one of his more powerful blasts. Doesn't take long, either.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    Used to have a soldier character with a jetpack firing sniper rounds just out of the targets range with the jetpack on, boss enemies couldn't keep up. used to have some fun with an archer at one point with a volley of arrows in a small cone like angle, mobs didn't stand a chance.
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    COH was my first MMO. I played it either during beta or when it launched. I loved that I could spend hours making a toon look exactly how I wanted it to look. Astro-cat was my fav. He was a tiny green cat, outfitted in the 60’s sci-fi costume and carrying a gun way too big for him.
    I shed actual tears when the game ended.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • bwleon7bwleon7 Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    I loved COH/CoV and I tried Champions a couple years ago and it just did not feel right at all. I will have to look to see if anything has changed but no game has really been able to pull off what CoH and CoV did. to this day I would drop every other MMO and most other games I play if Coh and CoV came back.
    Dr. Miranda Jones: I understand, Mr. Spock. The glory of creation is in its infinite diversity.
    Mr. Spock: And the ways our differences combine, to create meaning and beauty.

-Star Trek: Is There in Truth No Beauty? (1968)
    edited September 2017
    khan5000 wrote: »
    COH was my first MMO. I played it either during beta or when it launched. I loved that I could spend hours making a toon look exactly how I wanted it to look. Astro-cat was my fav. He was a tiny green cat, outfitted in the 60’s sci-fi costume and carrying a gun way too big for him.
    I shed actual tears when the game ended.
    Well, the smallest you can do is 4' 6" without using a Shrinking device, and the Sci-Fi outfit and ray gun are a 475-Zen purchase from the C-store, but you can certainly make that character.

Supermanx.png
    A would-be crazed geneticist, striving to follow in the footsteps of Telios and Dr. Phillipe Moreau, tried to splice the genes of a Manx cat and a drunk he found in one of Westside's abandoned warehouses. Unbeknownst to him, however, the drunk was the former hero Starfall, who crawled into a bottle after losing his family in the 2009 Qularr Invasion of Millennium City. Unsurprisingly, the cat-man hybrid developed superhuman powers, and adopted the name Supermanx.

Mr_Softee.jpg
    Randy Jackson was working as a mascot for an ice-cream shop in downtown Millennium City. One hot day, as his shift was ending, he wished out loud that he never had to wear that <expletive> hot costume again. At that particular moment, a transdimensional being on its way to a party on another plane of existence happened to be passing by, and granted Randy's wish - in its own, confused way. Randy found that he now was his costume, and had been granted cold-based powers to boot. Now he patrols the streets as Mr. Softee.

I wanted to include images of E/M-11701-A (an alien robot whose previous surveys of the planet were rather skimpy, it mistook which species was dominant, which is why it has a TV for a head) and Tiny Dancer (she went out partying with friends one night, and woke up three weeks later with force powers, Rainbow Flight, and a disco-ball head), but I can't seem to find the screenshots.

/edits for the edit god! words for the word throne!
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    Champions is a fun game. It can get tedious at times when doing the storyline, but it is a good game overall. The character customization in that game has no equal in all the MMOs I have played over the years.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
    all this chat of Champions online is starting to build up that nostalgia level, i may just go and play the game some point in the near future. :smiley:
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    An interesting Comic Book game is coming out in a few weeks. Doesn't have the character customization options of CoX or CO, but it certainly has the most interesting difficulty slider and name.