test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Your thoughts on TRIBBLE

Comments

• jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    Putting it another way......they were calling the Federation out and wanted Starfleet Command to get the message loud and clear.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    A real face-off with a Klingon would not have gone anything remotely close to this....
    Define "real."

Klingon decloaks behind you, fires some torps and disruptors. You blow up and the Klingons toast their epic victory with made up battle stories. :D

But a Klingon ship sitting there doing nothing and waiting for reinforcements before attacking ONE ship?!?! Yeah, that's a 'real' Klingon.
    But who is the arbiter for determining what a "real" Klingon attack is? Truth be told, both episodes were fantastic. They're definitely on the right track here.

Right on track for the next bowel movement.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    A real face-off with a Klingon would not have gone anything remotely close to this....
    Define "real."

Klingon decloaks behind you, fires some torps and disruptors. You blow up and the Klingons toast their epic victory with made up battle stories. :D

But a Klingon ship sitting there doing nothing and waiting for reinforcements before attacking ONE ship?!?! Yeah, that's a 'real' Klingon.
    But who is the arbiter for determining what a "real" Klingon attack is? Truth be told, both episodes were fantastic. They're definitely on the right track here.

Well if you think they were fantastic, then that leaves you out of judging anything! o:)
    To borrow an overused phrase, they are literally Making Star Trek Great Again. This is by far the best first two episodes of any Star Trek series ever.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    To borrow an overused phrase, they are literally Making Star Trek Great Again. This is by far the best first two episodes of any Star Trek series ever.

Wow....I want whatever you're smoking. Gotta be great stuff to make this TRIBBLE look good. :smiley:

I really hope he is being extremely sarcastic, if not I agree with you.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    Definitely no sarcasm here, Discovery's first two episodes runs circles around the first episode of TOS, TNG, Voyager etc. No contest.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • koppsterkoppster Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Can't say I was overly impressed, on the other hand, how about dem warp bubble spacial distortion effects?
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Next time add the "spoiler" word to your thread. that way others who haven't seen it can see it without thinking this thread is just about keeping in line with no spoilers and just a limited review and those who haven't seen it can avoid looking in this thread unless it's by their own risk.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • shinku#4469 shinku Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    They cancelled Enterprise season 5 for this?
    lucky_star_trek_by_primantis-d389ufa.jpg
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    not paying monthly, this is why you never trust a vulcan, let see what the sto forum thinks of this.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • bonzodog01bonzodog01 Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    This look and feels more JJ-universe to me, and those Klingons look closer to Remans as well.
    XBox One - NFV Rylon - T6 Kolasi Siege Destroyer
    British Imperial Armada
  • mez83mez83 Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    Very bad, that's why you use protection...

... Oh, your talking about the new show aren't you. I've only seen the first episode but I have to question some of the artistic choices. The "klingons" are covered in so much makeup that you don't see any emotion. Are they angry, sad. I can't tell. I might check out the second episode if I can get a free trial or something.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I didn't hate it. My main complaints were that we didn't really see much of the characters except the main two women. It seems not to be much of a character show. Also the Klingons seemed kind of Egyptian?? I found their decorations and whatnot offputting. Oh and also the level of insubordination for the first officers was a bit over the limit.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    The new Klingon's remind me of the Goa'uld from Stargate.
  • keladorkelador Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Yeah watched it and was like looks nice but meh just not feeling it can take it or leave it sort of feeling episode 3 will be the deciding episode if that one doesn't grip me I will not watch anymore and leave it and maybe binge watch the lot next year, doesn't help I'm not a fan of shows that air weekly I feel if its a streaming show it should just be released a whole season at a time.

• kekvinkekvin Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    Tbh i liked it. Will rewatch it later. Id like to see more of a tos style klingon and maybe more of the tos styled ships but what i saw. The ships and unifirms looked lol e a very logical advancement from enterprise
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    Define "real."

If the Romulan's show up, you know they are ancestors of the House of Duras. :P
  • trekpuppytrekpuppy Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    As a sci-fi show it's similar to the reboot of BSG and Stargate Universe. Dark (except for the lens flares), dystopic, filled with death and despair. I'm sure it will find its fans.

Call it Star Trek? No way in hell. Please keep this pos out of this game.

And don't even get me started over the logic of some of the tactical decisions in the story...
    ---
    "-Grind is good!" --Gordon Geko
    Accolades checklist: https://bit.ly/FLUFFYS
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    trekpuppy wrote: »
    As a sci-fi show it's similar to the reboot of BSG and Stargate Universe. Dark (except for the lens flares), dystopic, filled with death and despair. I'm sure it will find its fans.

Call it Star Trek? No way in hell. Please keep this pos out of this game.

And don't even get me started over the logic of some of the tactical decisions in the story...

Voyager and DS9 had it's moment with death and destruction in it's pilot episodes.

DS9 with the borg at Wolf 359, the Cardassians attacking DS9.
    Voyager with the Cardassians attacking the Maquis Raider, the battle of the Caretaker array and destruction of the array as well as a Kazon carrier.

What makes either of these any different from the pilot of Discovery with the fight with Klingons? Voyager and DS9 turned out quite well after their pilots, it could also bee the same for Discovery.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • reemus#2383 reemus Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    Watched the second episode, didn't improve my thoughts on it at all.

As I've said before in other threads, the decision to retcon the appearance of one of the most iconic alien races was just idiotic imo. On top of that, you have:
    * Frequent use of holographic communication, something that was not developed and deployed until 2373 in the Prime Universe (there's no way this is Prime, I'd say we are looking at a fourth universe, the TRIBBLE Universe).

* Type 2 phasers now fire blaster bolts rather than phaser beams.

* A first officer left her post during a potential combat situation to call a diplomat.

* An entire bridge crew seemed more than happy to follow an obvious attempt at mutiny.

* A previous mind-meld somehow allowed real-time telepathic communication from Vulcan to the edge of Federation space.

* One Klingon house makes significant use of cloaking technology, even though the Klingons do not have such technology for another decade in the Prime Universe.

* First Officer explicitly states they need to capture the Klingon leader alive, then takes it upon herself to kill him anyway.

I know there were other things that bothered me during the two episodes, but those are all I can remember.

Watched the 2nd episode as well and I really do not like the direction this is going....not at all. "Discovery" from what I see so far is a marketing ploy more than anything. This is should be called "StarTrek: The Next Next Generation". They should also change the "Created by" in credits to "Created but not at all approved by". So here is what is killing me...

1: All Star Trek tradition is out the window (airlock to be proper) - This is a simply an indefinite part episode. It will be all linear based on one story/plot in 45 minute chunks instead of actual episodes with a new "challenge" every week. This hurts.

2: I already do not like the main character AT ALL. From the looks of the future episodes, she isn't a captain. She is a wannabe Vulcan-gone gangster who has already been stripped of rank, sentenced to life in prison, etc etc.... Yet still ends up in service obviously.... In my eyes, she is dead to me.. I really do not like her back story or her character at all.

3: I keep asking myself "Who the heck is Michael again?" every time I hear them say her name.. It's messing with me.

4: Klingons need Rogaine.... They seem to have retained the Klingon tradition but have terrible costumes and even more terrible appearances. They look like the "modern day alien villain" I have seen on so many shows. Actually they look more like vampires than Klingons.... I think I will call them...... "Klingoffs".

5: The Klingons need to hit the Lobi store or purchase Zen for ships. So far the Klingon ships in Discovery look more like air-brushed paper airplanes than anything....and are even uglier than the originals. The Bird of Prey I am assuming were the little "broken off piece of a tortilla chip" looking things we see in Ep2.

6: I watched the new comedy-spoof called The Orville that just came out and like it better in the first 3 episodes than Discovery.

7: The uniforms in Discovery... a no-go...

I am sad.....
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I fear we'll be seeing lots of 'Rose tinted spectacle' type compairisons between previous shows and Discovery. Disappointing really.

Also worth remembering that the first SEASON of now-revered TNG absolutely S TA N K.

Where No One Has Gone Before, Home Soil, and We'll always have Paris I quite liked.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    In 10 years when another Star Trek box set comes out, Discovery won't be included with the originals.... It is that far off.
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    Discovery was easily the most cinematic of the various spinoffs series and I liked that about it. Beyond that impression I was intrigued by some of what they are doing and appalled by only a couple of things. Frankly everything that they chose to do with the Klingons could have been implemented without such a drastic redesign. A behind the scenes video about that including one of the actors, a female, left me cold. Breaking things that aren't broken is not how you expand upon a beloved franchise and while the characterizations of T'Kuvma etc. seemed okay, visually they've ruined the Klingons. Having seen both episodes, I'm ambivalent over their choice with Captain Philippa Georgiou. I would have preferred a different outcome. A lot of fertile ground was apparent with her character. Ditto for their choice with T'Kuvma.

Any additional criticism aimed at this show, could all have been avoided by Paramount CLEARLY going with this series being a part of the Kelvin Timeline, so they set themselves up for some of the backlash that will resonate. I liked it enough to give it a shot for now!
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    I don't think it would be fair to denounce an entire show after watching just the pilot(2/2) episode. Even more so since none of Star Trek's past pilot episodes were particulary good.
    Captain Georgiou was by far my most favorite character. Lots of charisma and a true Starfleet officer. Too bad she won't be a recurring character. I would've watched the show just for her. I wasn't very fond of commander Burnham and I can't see how she would ever become an officer aboard another vessel after what she did. Lieutenant Saru was an interesting choice and I liked how he would sometimes challenge the first officer's decisions and not just blindly follow orders. There's not a whole lot to say about the rest of the crew (yet). They seemed to work together well (as actors and as characters) and they were likeable enough.

I can live with the updated graphics and the technology that should not have been around during this time. I am resigned to the fact that Star Trek Discovery is another reboot. But what I really hated was that they turned one of Star Trek's most recognizable and best established races into blue/purple skinned, hairless, religious fanatics with fancy old-Egyptian armor.

Storywise the pilot was something of a mixed bag. There were some completely ridiculous scenes like when the first officer is leaving the bridge during a combat situation to hail Sarek. And while I can see how expansion of the Federation would at some point unite all Klingon houses against them, I find it hard to believe that this could be accomplished after a 5 minute long talk about Kahless and peace. And then there's commander Burnham's betrayal. Unnessesary and completely pointless.

All in all I would give the two-parter a 5/10.

I believe the first Klingon that died in Discovery was played by Dorn (Worf) because he had his TRIBBLE kicked almost instantly upon aggression.
    szim wrote: »
    I don't think it would be fair to denounce an entire show after watching just the pilot(2/2) episode. Even more so since none of Star Trek's past pilot episodes were particulary good.
    Captain Georgiou was by far my most favorite character. Lots of charisma and a true Starfleet officer. Too bad she won't be a recurring character. I would've watched the show just for her. I wasn't very fond of commander Burnham and I can't see how she would ever become an officer aboard another vessel after what she did. Lieutenant Saru was an interesting choice and I liked how he would sometimes challenge the first officer's decisions and not just blindly follow orders. There's not a whole lot to say about the rest of the crew (yet). They seemed to work together well (as actors and as characters) and they were likeable enough.

I can live with the updated graphics and the technology that should not have been around during this time. I am resigned to the fact that Star Trek Discovery is another reboot. But what I really hated was that they turned one of Star Trek's most recognizable and best established races into blue/purple skinned, hairless, religious fanatics with fancy old-Egyptian armor.

Storywise the pilot was something of a mixed bag. There were some completely ridiculous scenes like when the first officer is leaving the bridge during a combat situation to hail Sarek. And while I can see how expansion of the Federation would at some point unite all Klingon houses against them, I find it hard to believe that this could be accomplished after a 5 minute long talk about Kahless and peace. And then there's commander Burnham's betrayal. Unnessesary and completely pointless.

All in all I would give the two-parter a 5/10.

But none of the other pilots laid out the entire rest of the series and what's to come like Discovery has already done. When watching the ads for Discovery you already see the main character is back in action...and is all action... against the Klingons... with explosions and everything. What burned me watching the first episode on actual TV was that they SHOWED what was going to happen next in the damned commercials BEFORE the episode was finished!!
  • mickcasanovamickcasanova Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    I thought TRIBBLE was just that. An TRIBBLE.. Garbage. JJ has no more business messing up Star Trek than Burton had TRIBBLE up Batman. The Klingon's looked awful, and spoke as though they had a mouth full of marbles. Just bad. The uniforms were more style than function, and looked like a bad art decco experiment. While I managed to get through the first one, I lasted 30 seconds into the second before I just had to turn it off. It was that bad. It was apparent to me that JJ was relaying on visuals rather than story. Frankly, I thought his vision was ridiculously boring.

JJ's vision is far from what we've grown to expect. I don't predict this will last very long. There's certainly no way I would ever pay to watch this garbage. I couldn't stand his movies, and I certainly can't stand this. Good luck with this whale of a fail CBS.