test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek: Oriental

So there's now a couple of threads out about TRIBBLE, but it crossed my mind, if China were to licence Trek and make their own version how would it differ? What differences in casting, plot, content etc would occur?

Comments

• jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    @lapprenticel

@badmoonrisin

FYI, "Oriental" is a politically incorrect term that is used in the place of the word "Asian". In other words, "Oriental" is considered to be derogatory and offensive to many people of Asian ethnicity.

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Your thread title is offensive.

This thread should be closed, the topic is ridiculous anyway.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    So there's now a couple of threads out about TRIBBLE, but it crossed my mind, if China were to licence Trek and make their own version how would it differ? What differences in casting, plot, content etc would occur?

The Federation would claim to be Communist but oddly behave like a fascist police state, and the Klingons and Romulans would be Japan and the US.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Your thread title is offensive.

This thread should be closed, the topic is ridiculous anyway.

No to the first, but yes to the 2nd opinion.
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    "Oriental" is a politically incorrect term that is used in the place of the word "Asian". In other words, "Oriental" is considered to be derogatory and offensive to many people of Asian ethnicity.

And what if some consider "Asian" to be offensive? Where do we go then?
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

People of Asian descent don't consider it offensive which is the only opinion that matters.

There is no term for anything that doesn't offend someone somewhere.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited September 2017

"Asian" is considered a perfectly accepted acceptable term used in all forms of media.

The use of "Oriental" to refer to all Asians is the equivalent of using the "N word" to refer to all black people.
    Post edited by jaguarskx on
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    What would an Asian Star be like?

Simple.

Pick any space anime you can find, and there's your answer.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited September 2017

"Asian" is considered a perfectly accepted acceptable term used in all forms of media.

The use of "Oriental" to refer to all Asians is the equivalent of using the "N word" to refer to all black people.
    In America yes. Not in Britain though. Perhaps the OP is, shocker, not from America?
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    "Star Trek: Oriental" sounds like a futuristic ramen dish. As for the word "oriental" for some it's offensive, for others it's not. As long as you are not aiming it at a person or implying anything negative or derogatory towards an individual or group of people, I don't see why you couldn't use the word; however, caution is always best. That being said...

My guess would be that you would have a title like Star Trek: [Asian Proper Noun]; of course, you would want one that everyone can agree to. The makeup of the crew would be: a Chinese Captain, a Vietnamese XO, a Japanese Conn Officer (always need a Sulu), a Thai Security Officer, a Filipino Operations Officer, an Indian Engineer, and a Korean Doctor. It would be very interesting to see how everyone interacted.
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • lapprenticellapprenticel Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    Oriental is no more offensive than occidental. Why should either be problematic?
    @lapprenticel

@badmoonrisin

FYI, "Oriental" is a politically incorrect term that is used in the place of the word "Asian". In other words, "Oriental" is considered to be derogatory and offensive to many people of Asian ethnicity.

• lapprenticellapprenticel Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    Part of the reason I raised it :smile:

Interesting question. An Oriental version would probably focus more on family, honor, respect, and integrity...which would make SJWs scream bloody murder and would be glorious to watch. :smile:

• saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    "Oriental" is considered offensive in some parts of the world?

Well, you learn something everyday. Here in France, while we don't really use the term for people because there are more suitable terms (we tend to try and be more precise when it comes to nationalities), we do use it a lot for everything else related (cuisine, arts, cultures, mostly).

In fact it's a bit of the reverse, while we don't consider "asian" to be offensive by itself, far from it, when we see the term being applied to people, most of time, it's either for technical things (like markets, studies, cuisine, items) or the person using it is not completely respectful to them.
    For example, if a politician said "Concerning the Asians, ..." (not "asian people", just "asian"), the overall reaction would be "Oh boy, here we go again! Time to switch channels!".

Just goes to show.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    The Op specifically asked about China. I am not very knowledgeable about Chinese cinema. But from what I have heard. . No time travel stories. Those are banned.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    why would time travel be banned in chinese filmography?​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    why would time travel be banned in chinese filmography?​​
    Because apparently, the *checks the correct name* the State Administration for Radio, Film, & Television says that stories about time travel "casually make up myths, have monstrous and weird plots, use absurd tactics, and even promote feudalism, superstition, fatalism and reincarnation" and the authorities frown upon distorting history in media (who knows, some writer one day may try to tell the current generation of Chinese people that the Tiananmen Square protests didn't happen like the authorities said they did).
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • potentialbff#9168 potentialbff Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited September 2017

That is without a doubt one of the stupidest things ever said on this forum.

There are many offensive/politically incorrect words, ranging from mildly problematic to horribly offensive.

For example, the word "cracker" for white people is offensive, but it is not even close to the same thing as the "N" word for black people.

The same is true of the term "oriental". It may offensive, but saying it is equal to the "N" word for black people is beyond stupid.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    This has to be the first time ever I've read about the term 'oriental' being considered offensive.

Usually its use doesn't even refer to a group of peoples per se, but rather a geographic region or specific elements of cultures (such as the oriental kitchen - a nice example of which would be one of the restaurants in my university's town here in the eastern part of the Netherlands). Which may be a severe generalisation of course.. but offensive?

[4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator
    2kq0XHZ.png
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.