test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Announcing the Dranuur Colony Fleet Holding!

Comments

• discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    This is one of the core design aspects of STO I really don't like.

Guilds should be for social purposes. Instead, they've been made into ways to get the most desirable (and needed in the case of vulnerability locators) gear, not by actually doing anything with the guild (like raids or group missions), but simply by grinding resources and time to develop holdings.

Half my characters are in big faceless fleets where I don't know anyone because there are so many people, so I'm sure I will get these holdings as soon as possible. But the smaller fleets I'm in where I actually know who I am talking to, will be out of luck. And poor KDF characters, three different fleets, all dead.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    My fleet leader always says to me: LONG TERM PROJECT, Mary. Quit trying to do it all, or keep up with the bigger fleets.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    Mel likes, like LIKES! :p
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited September 2017
    Sorry guys, trying to get a confirmation on the Mark/Quality for this new equipment, but it's after-hours now. Fairly certain it's not Mark FOUR though. That just seems silly.

**EDIT:
    As far as I can tell, everything being offered is Mark XII Ultra-Rare, other than Kit Frames and Modules which are Mk XIII Ultra-Rare.

Suffice it to say, I'll try and get the Blog information updated as soon as possible. I'm sorry if any of this was confusing or misleading.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    Sorry guys, trying to get a confirmation on the Mark/Quality for this new equipment, but it's after-hours now. Fairly certain it's not Mark FOUR though. That just seems silly.

Well as it's already being discussed, if it's UR Mk XIV that is better than anything rewarded in-game currently & will be welcomed. If it's the UR Mk IV variety a few here have already commented on the benefits of that too. Either way looks promising.
  • darthwoodarthwoo Member Posts: 371 Arc User
    With such a large holding that will almost certainly require massive inputs of DOFFs, might now be a good time to enable us to buy multiple DOFF boxes at one time from our starbases? As fun as it is testing just how fast I can click my mouse button, it would be so much better for our mice and our wrists if we could just buy full stacks of 50 or more at a time.

(Also might be nice if the boxes were account bound rather than character bound. I can already transfer the unboxed DOFFs to my alts via the mail. Why maintain an artificial impediment?)
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,950 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    soofismack wrote: »
    This should be real fun to do now that 3/4 of the fleets are dead thanks to season 13

Source?

There isn't necessarily a "source" for everything so yes this could make a statement an opinion or perhaps an observation. If somebody says the queues are dead do they need a source or is it just a common observation garnered thru looking at the queues multiple times a week at various times over a period of months and having been regularly in-game for years?

While I'm sure there are some lively fleets out there what I observed using a player sample size of almost 15,000 members in multiple armadas containing both new and old fleets is that the majority have a last in-game date of 2014 - 2016, or haven't been in-game since earlier this year.

Conclusion: fleets are not nearly as busy as they once were. Source: eyeballs.

Positive note: the announcement at the top of this thread really sounds like it could help a lot. Hope to get more details soon :)

• tripwire690tripwire690 Member Posts: 178 Arc User
    I'm sorry. A Tier 5 Fleet holding without an exchange? ANOTHER ONE? Really? What is the common sense in this again? Because clearly I'm just not getting it. A second Fleet Holding that requires MORE resources, MORE time, MORE quantities of materials and yet we are somehow incapable of accessing an exchange? I think this deserves some Dev Explanation. Because quite frankly it just seems like a stupid decision.
    starfleet_department_of_temporal_investigations_by_gazomg-da64jys.jpg

Let no other Captain discourage you from what you believe you can achieve in PvP. Debuffs and Disables be damned! Charge up your Backstep and Forge your build out of Lock Boxes, Consoles, and Flash Sales feeding off of only your pure will to chain, spam, and hax your way forward. You will not be forgotten to history.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    I’m really enthusiastic about it and look forward to the new holding.

I just hope that you guys at Cryptic have good data on the contribution capacity in the average fleet for another tier 5 release. This is not 2013! Players are ten times as lazy and recourse demands we need for stuff besides fleet holdings ten times as high.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    frtoaster wrote: »
    Why do I get the feeling that this new grind, different from previous grinds, will be yet another barrier for small fleets.

Brutal honesty time.
    I think was holding was designed specifically for the large fleets who maxed out their starbases AND holdings just to give them a new task to grind forwork on.
    And as such, it'll be another unachievable goal for smaller fleets. :'(:s

I'm looking forward to the Toxic Dart Launcher most of all.
    The tactical consoles in the Renewable energy track are also of interest.

The secondary deflectors and the Protomatter cores might also be of merit.
    darthwoo wrote: »
    With such a large holding that will almost certainly require massive inputs of DOFFs, might now be a good time to enable us to buy multiple DOFF boxes at one time from our starbases? As fun as it is testing just how fast I can click my mouse button, it would be so much better for our mice and our wrists if we could just buy full stacks of 50 or more at a time.

Oh, I've been wanting that for a long time!
    Make it so.
    I purposefully had to move the confirm buy popup button over where the purchase button is to make the process faster.....

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    So, about that invasion simulation... I need to quote a friend of mine.
    it's cute they think 20 people log in at the same time anymore in most fleets

Even really big fleets (such as Reddit Alert or The Breakfast Club) aren't seeing that kind of activity very often.
  • ffttfftt Member Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    tilarta wrote: »
    ...Oh, I've been wanting that for a long time!
    Make it so.
    I purposefully had to move the confirm buy popup button over where the purchase button is to make the process faster.....
    Control-Click is your friend!

• doublechadoublecha Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    This is the first holding my fleet will not do,not enough players.
    Qapla'
  • darthwoodarthwoo Member Posts: 371 Arc User
    fftt wrote: »
    tilarta wrote: »
    ...Oh, I've been wanting that for a long time!
    Make it so.
    Control-Click is your friend!

I was about to post something similar. What I do is have one hand holding down control, while I hover the other hand over the mouse with two fingers over the LMB, alternating clicks. I'm not sure if it really makes it faster than just using one finger, but it seems like I get everything purchased more quickly. Unfortunately I can't seem to make it work with my right hand so I awkwardly have my right index finger holding down control while my left arm goes over top of it to do the mouse clicky part.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    So, about that invasion simulation... I need to quote a friend of mine.
    it's cute they think 20 people log in at the same time anymore in most fleets

Even really big fleets (such as Reddit Alert or The Breakfast Club) aren't seeing that kind of activity very often.
    It's up to 20.....

No word yet on what the lower limit is though. At any rate those events are not the only way to get the materials you need. I'll highlight the important parts:
    tehblog wrote:
    One feature that makes the Dranuur Colony unique is that, instead of purchasing provisions in your replicator, players instead work alongside the colonists to claim resources from the environment around the colony, to be used for track progression. Each subtrack will have its own resource, and all three resources will be needed to upgrade the main track. As you progress in the various subtracks, you will find it easier to attain the resources, and your fleet will even be able to automate a part of the resource-gathering process.
    In addition to earning the resources by participating in activities around the colony, your fleet will be able to enact training simulations for potential invasions – the Kentari haven’t survived this long without a healthy helping of paranoia, after all. Simulation Provisions (used to start the invasion simulation) will can be earned by completing fleet projects and can be used by your fleet leadership to trigger these map-wide invasion events. As your fleet advances, new simulation options will become available, allowing you some customization of the training simulation experience. Additionally, it will become easier to earn a stockpile of Simulation Provisions as you progress in the main track. The invasion simulation is a multi-location wave defense event, which allows up to 20 fleet members to participate without needing to queue – simply travel to the Dranuur Colony, and start the event! After every five invasion waves, participants will be given a vote to stop and claim the rewards earned so far, or continue on to more difficult waves, risking their earned rewards in the process. Victory in this simulation rewards players with resources and Fleet Marks used to progress the Colony holding.
    Sounds to me like you don't need to do invasions to get the special sauce, and even if you do invasions non-fleet members can participate.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,950 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    protoneous wrote: »
    There isn't necessarily a "source" for everything so yes this could make a statement an opinion or perhaps an observation. If somebody says the queues are dead do they need a source or is it just a common observation garnered thru looking at the queues multiple times a week at various times over a period of months and having been regularly in-game for years?

While I'm sure there are some lively fleets out there what I observed using a player sample size of almost 15,000 members in multiple armadas containing both new and old fleets is that the majority have a last in-game date of 2014 - 2016, or haven't been in-game since earlier this year.

Conclusion: fleets are not nearly as busy as they once were. Source: eyeballs.

Positive note: the announcement at the top of this thread really sounds like it could help a lot. Hope to get more details soon

Even an opinion needs to be based on something. The issue is if you are going to make a sweeping generalization about the state of the game, you need the evidence to back it up. Offering "eyeball" observations based on your own limited circle doesn't represent anywhere near the majority of the playerbase or the game itself.

I can tell you with absolute certainty our fleets are very active and that I never have issues with playing queues. That is a true statement for me based on my limited access to a handful of fleets/armadas and playing at peak hours. That in no way is representative of the whole game nor would I claim it to be.

There are 2 more posts from well known players directly above your post quoted here concerning either a) the current contributing power of fleets for a new tier 5 holding or b) the ability of even larger fleets to get enough members logged in to participate in various aspects of the new holding.

I think what you characterize as "offering eyeball observations based on your own limited circle" is merely an enabler for any state of the game comment to be swept under the rug.

Speaking for my own limited circle it might be possible to get enough players to participate in an invasion simulation if you can invite players from within the armada. Being able to invite friends or peeps from outside the armada would really help. How often do 5, 10, or 20 man queues open to the entire game pop?

As far as construction of the new holding is concerned my fleets are Fed level 65 and KDF level 64.99 so yes we're ready for something new but do have some concerns about our current contributing power.

Am still optimistic that the colony holding will encourage increased participation though.

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    First off I would prefer MUCH reduced Doff requirements. Secondly, if it is less than for the main Starbase, they should just do what they did with the Reputation Projects - convert Doffs to a Dilitium contribution instead at a 100:1 ratio. Much rather donate 7,700 Dilitium than 77 Engineering Doffs. I would get 7,700 Fleet Credits instead of losing 38,500 Fleet Credits.

If I read it correctly, having a self-generating Provision type item is infinately preferable to purchasing those stupid Provisions from your Replicator at the cost of 500 Fleet Credits for no donation credit.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    First off I would prefer MUCH reduced Doff requirements. Secondly, if it is less than for the main Starbase, they should just do what they did with the Reputation Projects - convert Doffs to a Dilitium contribution instead at a 100:1 ratio. Much rather donate 7,700 Dilitium than 77 Engineering Doffs. I would get 7,700 Fleet Credits instead of losing 38,500 Fleet Credits.

If I read it correctly, having a self-generating Provision type item is infinately preferable to purchasing those stupid Provisions from your Replicator at the cost of 500 Fleet Credits for no donation credit.

You obviously know what you talk about. I agree with you to 100%. I’m somewhat “optimistic” that the contribution for daily XP projects will be similar to mine/embassy/k13 than to the main base.

Optimistic here is a bit relative though as they won’t let us get away without inserting Dil for all 3 veins each day.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I think you vastly exaggerate the number of people of entry level that do that.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User

Degrinding doffs down to whites to sell to people for fleet projects is like the last remaining entry level way to get decent EC in sto.

If they get rid of the doff requirements I dunno what new players will even be able to do anymore except buy zen.

Sorry, I must also object to yet another nerf to people's ability to contribute to the fleet holdings via doffing. (The first was the replacement of the commodity requirements with an EC requirement.)

I have a much better idea:

https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/comment/13267435/#Comment_13267435
    frtoaster wrote: »
    • Admiralty: Gold-Pressed Latinum rewards from Ferengi Admiralty assignments have been reduced by around 80%.
    • In place of these reduced rewards, these assignments now also reward Energy Credits proportionate to the amount of GPL that has been removed.
    well, there goes any chance of being GPL spacerich - and EC hyperinflation gets another unneeded bump on top of that​​
    orion0029 wrote: »
    Yeah, I thought the GPL rewards were kinda crazy. Still, replacing 80% of it with EC seems counter-intuitive, especially since the only way one can spend the absurd amount of credits one earns is on the exchange. Personally I'd like to see some kind of EC sink to offset these Admirality payouts...

Here's a crazy idea: Reverse the change to the Ferengi campaign, and replace the doff requirements for fleet projects with a GPL requirement; allow us to purchase GPL with fleet credits; and allow us to turn in doffs for GPL, with higher quality doffs giving more GPL. You could also use another currency or commodity instead of GPL, but this would give GPL an actual use besides novelty items. It would also preserve the value of doffs and eliminate much clicking.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • zuigje010zuigje010 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    Pointless and unnecessary waste of space if you ask me. If you look at all fleets still alive in this game, no one is at these fleet holdings anymore to chill or anything. Like I said for years now we need something to do in a fleet! Bring up Fleet PvE Maps, they don't need to involve the storyline and make it so you need to queue for these Fleet member only PVE maps at the fleet holdings. You give having these holdings a purpose and we can enjoy a more lively interior then an empty waste of space.

Still waiting for actual new playable content.......
  • ffttfftt Member Posts: 715 Arc User
    First off I would prefer MUCH reduced Doff requirements. Secondly, if it is less than for the main Starbase, they should just do what they did with the Reputation Projects - convert Doffs to a Dilitium contribution instead at a 100:1 ratio. Much rather donate 7,700 Dilitium than 77 Engineering Doffs. I would get 7,700 Fleet Credits instead of losing 38,500 Fleet Credits...

Ouch! As a member of a small inactive fleet and soloing another the DOff requirements are a great way to use the excess millions of fleet credits I end up getting. Buying DOffs is a very effective fleet credit sink in my case and is one thing where being in a small fleet can be utile. Dilithium on the other hand is much harder for me to come by.

• lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Having checked it out on Tribble i have to say it is a gorgeous map.

Loads of space for expansions that i'm sure will pop up as you complete the various stages.
    SulMatuul.png