test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Which type of Disruptors

hugin1205hugin1205 Member Posts: 489 Arc User
The Klingon empire has been built with the help of disruptors - which have since evolved into various types of disruptors.
There are:
Disruptors
Plasma Disruptors
Spiral Wave Disruptors
Polarized Disruptors
Bio Molecular Disruptors
Nanite Disruptors
Elachi Disruptors
Resonant Disruptors
Coalition Disruptors

which ones do you think are better/worse and for what reasons?
And did I forget any type of disruptor?
18 characters
KDF: 2 tacs, 2 engs, 3 scis
KDF Roms: 3 tacs, 1 eng, 1 scis
FED: 2 tacs, 1 eng, 2 scis
TOS: 1 tac
all on T5 rep (up to temporal)
all have mastered Intel tree (and some more specs Points)
highest DPS: 60.982

Comments

• Options
    schloopdooschloopdoo Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Terran Task Force reputation offers Withering Disruptor weapons. I'm still about a week away from reaching Tier 4 with the rep and installing these on my Martok, but I'm looking forward to experimenting with them.

The proc on these weapons is something new and unique. If I understand the way the developers broke this down on Twitter and elsewhere, it's an extra hit of direct damage (of the Radiation damage type), and it also starts a 60 second timer. The timer is tracked on the target as a debuff. If the weapons proc again before that timer expires, the proc deals double the radiation damage and resets the timer. If it goes off again before the refreshed 60 second timer expires, it's triple damage, and so on, until the radiation is dealing 5x its base damage every time, until either the target dies or the timer expires because a proc didn't go off.

So here's a weapon type that sounds like it's designed to hit like a truck against bosses and enemies healthy enough to require it, and apparently the developers thought it should have a ramp-up time before it's dealing its full potential damage in order to keep you from one-shotting things that you shouldn't one-shot. It also seems to especially incentivize abilities that speed up your rate of fire, like the Kurak battlecruiser trait and the Martok and Krenim Anniversary ship consoles, so that you have as many chances to proc as possible before the timer expires. It would seem to strongly disincentivize abilities like Surgical Strikes, which slow down your rate of fire in return for a net gain on base weapon damage. The weapons are unique in a way that potentially changes one's choice of Boff abilities. Again, I'm looking forward to trying them out.

For extra fun, these weapons (and all the gear from Terran Task Force rep) specifically represent the fruits of years of Klingon R&D. There's our in-game answer to the question of why Klingons aren't depicted as sciencey: Top Klingons were working on these weapons in secret, in case they were needed against the Federation. Top. Klingons.
    Post edited by schloopdoo on
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Earth reputation disruptors.. dont remember their name...
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    thx schloopdoo - I knew that I had forgotten them, but I couldn't remember the Name and didn't find it on STO. Also thx for explaining the mechanics.

I do like the polarized ones for my scis. I have high Flow Caps to go with Plasmonic console and power drain skills - and an additional drain Chance is welcome as they are already enhanced with my flow cap skill.

But on most my toons I take whatever I got - going through reps and missions I picked up some decent ones, some more from Exchange (whatever had a good Price)....downside of having so many toons is that most are Discount builds :pensive:
    18 characters
  • Options
    goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    I just installed Terran rep withering disruptors on my Fleet T5-U K'tinga. I also have one withering photon torpedo launcher forward and one aft. I like this better than radiant anti-proton which is what I had equipped previously. One of the torpedo launchers is from the rep mission to complete the set and get the added torpedo per attack. This works very, very well. I'm extremely happy with the results.

I also have a full set of Epic Fleet Disruptors. They're now being used on my small ship/shuttle. They can't keep up with radiant anti-proton or withering disruptors. Just my two cents.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    freakiumfreakium Member Posts: 427 Arc User
    Being a canon nerd, I use regular, bio-molecular, and elachi disruptors. Each have a different shade of green but they're still green, which is good enough for me.
    m12Pkoj.png
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    hugin1205 wrote: »
    The Klingon empire has been built with the help of disruptors - which have since evolved into various types of disruptors.
    There are:
    Disruptors
    Plasma Disruptors
    Spiral Wave Disruptors
    Polarized Disruptors
    Bio Molecular Disruptors
    Nanite Disruptors
    Elachi Disruptors
    Resonant Disruptors
    Coalition Disruptors

You're forgetting Elite Fleet Disruptors. Since the change to make [Dmg] mod actually useful, Fleet weaponry looks decent. While Fed Elite Fleet Phasers suck balls, the proc of Elite Fleet Disruptors has never sucked. It's just forgotten about ATM.

There's also some Con's with some of the choices you put up.

Lockbox Weapons can be very expensive to collect. Even more so if you're chasing weapons with desirable mod sets. That will only make an already expensive weapon even costlier. Polarized, Nanite, Elachi are nice Disruptors, but will be very expensive.

Coalition Disruptors are Lockbox weapons but they are Bound to Character when equipped. Other than that, as Lockbox weapons, they still have a good price tag on them. They're decent for the time being since they are a recent release from the previous lockbox, but as time goes on, their cost will only get higher.

Spiral Wave Disruptors are tied behind the outdated Galor. Their mod sets while high (4 mods despite having multiple proc effects) are not ideal.

Resonant Disruptors are okay but it's not like you can get a full set of these weapons, which I wish we could do.

The Terran Rep Withering Disruptors, namely the Reputation project ones, are actually very good.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    bltrrnbltrrn Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    hugin1205 wrote: »
    There are:
    Disruptors
    Plasma Disruptors
    Spiral Wave Disruptors
    Polarized Disruptors
    Bio Molecular Disruptors
    Nanite Disruptors
    Elachi Disruptors
    Resonant Disruptors
    Coalition Disruptors

..and not all of these were developed by Klingons. I guess the Borg got their Plasma weaponry, exclusively from the Romulans? Did the Vaadwaur get their Polaron weapons from the Dominion. Think before you post. ;)
    R E M A I N

Tal'Shiar/Reman Resistance/Romulan Nemesis uniform, pls.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7403/13262502435_5604548f2c_o.png
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    bltrrn wrote: »
    ..and not all of these were developed by Klingons. I guess the Borg got their Plasma weaponry, exclusively from the Romulans? Did the Vaadwaur get their Polaron weapons from the Dominion. Think before you post. ;)

Nobody said they were. The OP said "the Klingon Empire has been built with the help of disruptors - which have since evolved into various types" not that Klingons developed them. With the coalition disruptors it's even in the name pig-3.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    i got sick of anti proton (i used them for ages when most others were not) so i changed back to disruptors. with a mixed bag of bio heavy turret and fleet turret. withering turret x2 if in a 4 aft ship. fore i run 2 of the disruptor dual heavy plasma cannons. the elachi cannon from lobi store and a coalition dhc. works pretty good for me in my BoPs i am flying these days.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• Options
    Disruptors are a must for Klingons.
    Any ship energy weapon consoles/ ship Specials are Disruptors. So all my toons have at least one set of Disruptors
    18 characters
  • Options
    Ok...so...coming back to this. As you might imagine...I invested a tremendous amount of EC and dilithium to get a full set of Epic Withering Disruptors. I ran with these beauties for several weeks and enjoyed them. They work great...and...I really thought they were better than the Epic Radiant Anti-Proton set I had been using.

So...the other night, it was late...and I was bored. I decided on a whim to pop the Radiant Anti-Proton back in and run some instances. Radiant Anti-Proton makes the Withering Disruptors look like squirt guns. I am relegating the Withering Disruptors to my main small ship. But my Fleet K'tinga is going modern and running Radiant Anti-Proton.

I couldn't let my Klingon comrades run with false info. And I honestly thought the Disruptors were better. Uhmmmm....not so much. They look great! Vicious looking red beams. However...the effects on the enemy weren't nearly as good. Also...the Radiant Anti-Proton increases my ships survivability which in turn increases DPS because I don't have to get out of enemy fire as much.

Q'apla, comrades!
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    edited February 2016
    There is something in your build or style that the Radiant weapons function better with. Because statistically, there is nothing favorable with any Radiant weaponry. These gained no traction in the playerbase when Iconian Rep was introduced. Iconian Space Set is FABULOUS but the Iconian Weapon/Console Set and Radiant weaponry in general are duds. Temporary HP is meaningless and has not proven to be popular for performance.

On the flip side, Withering Disruptors have the rep project version DHC and BA with some very, very nice damage characteristics that improve performance the less HP the target has remaining.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    There is something in your build or style that the Radiant weapons function better with.

I found it! You were right! I had two console sets that had other powers pop because of an anti-proton beam array set in the rear. BINGO! Mystery solved. Thanks.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    I like regular Disruptors with [pen] for max debuff.
    I also like to mess around with the Bio Molecular ones for the extra radiation damage- and I'll probably switch one of my Science captains to the bio dhc/torp with turrets once the range adjustment goes live. And maybe go back to a BoP.
  • Options
    sinn74 wrote: »
    I like regular Disruptors with [pen] for max debuff.
    I also like to mess around with the Bio Molecular ones for the extra radiation damage- and I'll probably switch one of my Science captains to the bio dhc/torp with turrets once the range adjustment goes live. And maybe go back to a BoP.

Bio-Molecular Disruptors are nice. Even better, they still are green for the purists out there.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    I was playing around other day & ended up with 2 elite fleet & 2 withering dual beams & did 30k for the 1st time in a T5U Tal Destroyer so 1 guess what i use now. :smile: but for some reason i cant get the set up to work as well on any other ship.

ps only had 2 withering but might get 2 more at a later date.
  • Options
    I was playing around other day & ended up with 2 elite fleet & 2 withering dual beams & did 30k for the 1st time in a T5U Tal Destroyer so 1 guess what i use now. :smile: but for some reason i cant get the set up to work as well on any other ship.

I want to throw in for consideration, especially since it's a Disruptor, are the Terran Rep's Withering Disruptors in the projects. There are special DHC and Beam Array versions that have a very powerful perk that their damage increases as the hull of the target decreases, up to a max of 200% extra damage.

The Terran Rep Photon Torp is also the same way and is actually one of the most powerful torps you can access today.

Take a look at the Terran Rep withering disruptor and photon projects. You'll be impressed.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,638 Arc User

I wonder if the Sensor Analysis the TSAD has boosts the proc too, that might be giving them a bit of edge most other ships can't match. Should be a huge boost to Reputation project one, as you'll be able to knock down the hull faster, which feeds the bonus damage.
  • Options
    sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User

I want to throw in for consideration, especially since it's a Disruptor, are the Terran Rep's Withering Disruptors in the projects. There are special DHC and Beam Array versions that have a very powerful perk that their damage increases as the hull of the target decreases, up to a max of 200% extra damage.

The Terran Rep Photon Torp is also the same way and is actually one of the most powerful torps you can access today.

Take a look at the Terran Rep withering disruptor and photon projects. You'll be impressed.

You're absolutely right. I have the project array on 2 characters, and I plan on the dhc for the biomolecular build, too.

The Counter Command tac console that boosts radiation (from the FE) boosts all radiation, iirc, so it fits well.
  • Options
    captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    tom61sto wrote: »

I wonder if the Sensor Analysis the TSAD has boosts the proc too, that might be giving them a bit of edge most other ships can't match. Should be a huge boost to Reputation project one, as you'll be able to knock down the hull faster, which feeds the bonus damage.

I will try them on my BORT C C that has sensor analysis & see what happens.

Well that explains why my bort c c outperforms my martok.

And after doing a few runs in my tal not using sensor analysis yes it makes a big diff.

Post edited by captainpugwash1 on
  • Options
    Went back to withering disruptors. DId my best to maintain the sets that existed with the radiant anti proton weapons. They seem to be better than my first experience. Going to stick with them for a while. I also have a full set of Epic Fleet disruptors which I'm holding in reserve.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    The Terran disruptors have a 2.5% chance to apply Withering Radiation which is weak but stacks and lasts 60sec when applied. They can also be purchased with DMGx2 CritD. However they do not have a disruptor physical damage effect, only the radiation chance. This actually has some significance.

The Bio-Disruptors have their bio effect which is also 2.5% chance, slows the target and applies a delayed radiation hit after 8sec, and comes in DMGx2 at best. The interesting thing is that they do retain the normal 2.5% disruptor physical DoT chance, as well as a +2% proc chance and a 7.5% Bonus Disruptor Damage increase if you use two parts of the set --- the one with the Hydrodynamic Compensator or whatever in it.

So like, DMGx2 CritD + Withering Radiation with Terrans, or DMGx2 + Bio (@4.5%) + disruptor DoT with Bio-Disruptors. Given that you're most likely running Temporal Operative which gives you a built in disruptor physical DoT chance of 10% and reduces damage resistance for 10 seconds when a DoT is applied, do you really want Withering Radiation to last for 60sec?? You can't reapply another DoT after 10sec if WR is still ticking away for another 50sec, you know what I mean?

Maybe it's overthinking things, but it seems that having the Bio wear off after 8sec would do you better on hard targets seeing as you can reapply the damage resistance buff of TempOp over & over.

Just a thought :)

I run Terrans on some builds, Bios on others. Really depends on the console real estate.
  • Options
    aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    I use the Elachi for the Pen buff as someone stated previously for maximum debuff effect.

It would be nice if the OP added the damage merits for each type as well as any cons which enhanced them to help people not so well versed in the different types assuming that is the intention of the thread.
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    There is also the Disruptor Torpedo from the Nausicaan set.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Well, someone went digging in the thread graveyard...