test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What Do You Think? Beyond the Nexus

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
Please let us know what you think of the latest featured episode, Beyond the Nexus, right here!

Comments

• fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,782 Arc User
    Well I've only seen the first two pieces of dialogue... but I've already found something odd.

When our characters press 'continue' he responds with 'that's entirely possible'. What is, exactly? Unless he's continuing on his own observations which means he's talking to himself even though he has a channel open to our ship.

And why is he saying 'good to see you again' when this is the first time I'm encountering him? Unless it's explained later on in the episode, another odd thing I noticed.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    ha ha "good to see you again..." time travel episode is coming! wanted to see inside nexus ... maybe next time
    Post edited by garaks31 on
  • shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
    I like the fact the one crew is wearing TWOK uniforms will we be seeing something later on with this?
    Ok that went faster than I expected.
    Hail ship. Beam down, go to the Holodeck. Shoot three groups of enemies. Play a mini-game. Go to Ten Forward. Read some text while shooting three more groups of enemies that are defeated with one pulsewave shot. Go to Engineering. Play another mini-game. While again shooting three easy enemy groups. Go to Bridge, shoot some enemies.

Beam back, fight an easy fight against the Forrestal. Read dialogue with La Forge on what is to come.

This was hardly what I would call an episode. The most interesting part was the description at the very end which is likely what we'll see in future episodes.

Episodes that will, hopefully, take a bit longer to complete with some real resistance. This was disappointing and not something I would have announced weeks before releasing it.

Sorry to say it, but I'd give it a 3 out of 10. The only good things here are the presence of La Forge and the new interior.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • arabaturarabatur Member Posts: 408 Arc User
    Short and sweet with little to challenge you. Makes this nice and easy if you have plenty of alts.
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • walligigwalligig Member Posts: 308 Arc User
    I didn't really mind this episode being on the shorter side considering Brushfire was pretty long, especially if you played it on advanced or elite. It was just an appetizer episode to introduce us to La'forge and to give us a hint at what is to come in the next season and I think it succeeded.
    sstosig2.png
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    I don't really know where to start with this mission, La Forge implies there is a prior working relationship during his conversation.

there are a few z-axis conflicts on the galaxy class interior damage texture layer, it's fighting with the original non damaged layer.

La forge "blinks" when you start to come off the transporter pad, i mean the entire npc model disappears momentarily then the model returns.

The dominated crew have a green aura around their head, but their heads are missing. even if another lifeform had taken control of these crew members minds, their heads wouldn't disappear.

The mission is a bit short compared to what i would expect from Cryptic and a lack of options regarding that mini boss, all you got is to take him alive.

Questions are in the open, why couldn't we speak with an early 24th century crew member to find out what happened to the forrestal?

Tam? or Kes?

The Caitian captain, where was she during all this adventure?

What does all this got to do with the Nexus?
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    walligig wrote: »
    I didn't really mind this episode being on the shorter side considering Brushfire was pretty long, especially if you played it on advanced or elite. It was just an appetizer episode to introduce us to La'forge and to give us a hint at what is to come in the next season and I think it succeeded.

True, having a shorter episode in-between isn't necessarily bad... but I was expecting a bit more than this, given that it was announced a few weeks ago already.

Now it feels like this was all just to build up to the real content - for which we have to wait a few weeks again. That's disappointing to me.

At least it will be easy to get the gear I guess.

• tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    What's with the Uniform choices? The crew that went missing recently doesn't use the Odyssey uniform and the one that went missing previously is wearing the WoK uniform long after it stopped being worn.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    I had a good time with it :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Geordi got his head stuck in the lintel of the door to ten forward, presumably a new feature in the ai pathfinding, he dangled for the remainder of the time on that deck.

Reg's fantasy women were folk he knew and we as the viewers knew that he knew. Not some random salmon pink girl, would have been better to show it being the person who is in the bar later. This was a rehash of the mirrors and smoke moon segment only in a tinier space.

Vulcan security officer sounded particularly wooden, even for a vulcan.

Ocampan barmaid? I suppose telepathy helps speed up service.

Engineering fight was another cramped dull wave affair and apparently we apply the neural whasnames with a standard energy weapon.

I had to stand on the barrier for the warpcore to be repaired, interaction hitbox obviously too small an area and the character isn't a midget either.

Weird glowy guy made of stars, more a TOS villian that TNG.

Overall very short with the feeling of it being rushed and thrown together from an assortment of generic sto things.
  • e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    A mission where we weren't mass murderers for a change. I liked it. :smile:
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    tyler002 wrote: »
    What's with the Uniform choices? The crew that went missing recently doesn't use the Odyssey uniform and the one that went missing previously is wearing the WoK uniform long after it stopped being worn.

I can't remember, how many years had the Forrestal been missing in the Nexus?
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    Ok, the mission itself is nothing special. But the Galaxy interior, WOW! I felt all warm and fuzzy inside :D
  • giliongilion Member Posts: 686 Arc User
    Kinda short, and hoping that Captain La Forge saying "Good to see you again" has to do with him being added to earlier episodes. Time travel would also be good, but our Captain's didn't act confused when he said that. Only other problem I had was their wasnt an option to at least attempt to talk the alien down, but it was a Starfleet resolution in the end. Oh and that you did the same thing 3 times in a row: 3 waves of enemies, one mini-game.
  • daeridanii#0793 daeridanii Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    I liked it; short but interesting with a good blend of story and action. Good to have La Forge too.
    Also, I'm quite excited about finally having an omni phaser array (at least, I will be in two weeks).
  • delliboydelliboy Member Posts: 288 Arc User
    I call it a filler episode at best. Brushfire had way more content and was fun this felt like a slap in the face. Too short but the best part of it, Geordi LaForge.
  • alfred399alfred399 Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Bit disappointed to be fair.

Pros:
    Levar Burton does an excellent job
    Gal interior is gorgeous
    360 phaser array - TYVM!!

Cons:
    Way too short
    Who the hell is the main boss?
    We don't go into the Nexus. Pretty pointless the Nexus being there really.

So I'd score this at a generous 4/10 personally.

I hope some of the cons I've listed are addressed in the next episode.

Also, when is the main story arc going to pick up - why are the Tzenkethi blowing up planets? What are the crystals theyre scared of? The last 2 or 3 episodes have not moved this plot along at all IMHO
  • zellkarrathzellkarrath Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    Short but fun. I should be able to replay this mission across multiple characters without it feeling like too much of a slog. I like that. I'm interested in learning more about this strange entity. This mission certainly laid out the ground work for more missions in the future if Cryptic feels like exploring that.
  • pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    Just want to say thank you guys. That was a really nice little mission, and it was nice to encounter something a bit weird.

Loved the new interior as well. Will we be getting access to it?
  • benselassem#4731 benselassem Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    A nice mission to show off the new Galaxy interior. I Liked it.

But the console is bugged, I upgraded it to Mk VIII (I was promoted whith turning in the mission), and chat said the following when I tried to equip it:

[Inventory] You do not meet the requirements for this item.
  • kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    Yeah I'm afraid like another said it really felt like a filler mission, something like a quickie foundry mission that was grabbed and had a celebrity thrown in to disguise the otherwise bland nature thereof. However, I do like Levar revisiting La Forge as a character and it was nice to see him again, but he deserves a better mission in the future.

Also the Nexus seemed like a mere footnote than having any importance as well, when I heard of this mission I expected much more to be going on with it! But that said, hopefully this leads to more business with it next episode perhaps and maybe I'll be surprised, I hope.
  • redspecter23redspecter23 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    This felt like a teaser for a new series of missions likely coming soon. It was short, which I'm fine with, but perhaps it may have been best to market it as a short mini episode so we as players aren't confused by the length. I encountered a few minor bugs similar to what is posted above. Nothing game breaking at all. Just small annoyances. The comment about having met before was confusing but possibly it is setting up a time travel episode coming soon. In the bridge fight the boss either disappeared or got lost in terrain at some point. The mission continued on eventually though.

The last fight against the sparkle man in the ship was just a case of me not moving at all and just shooting after his monologue was done. Not every fight has to be drawn out and long but this felt like a case of going too far in the opposite direction.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Not sure on this mission. The maps were good.

not sure I feel comfortable taking this entity that can take over peoples minds to a new location for it to do the same.

What of the crew of the TWOK ship? what happened to them?

Are the Tzenkathi still blowing up planets?!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    How does a ship get "lost" in the Nexus. It's a older ship and would have been ripped apart. Loved the TOS style bad guy but this was too short of a mission and I did not feel really invested in it. Two out of five stars.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • wwwwoodywwwwoody Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Unfortunately, as some others have said, it was a little disappointing.

LeVars's voice work was great, the Galaxy interior equally so.

On the negatives, the already mentioned unusual dialogue, even if we can pretend we have met him before so the 'good to see you' made sense the 'continue' button leading him to talk as though we made a statement is jarring.

The caitian captain in the comm chat looks to be wearing a commander uniform.

When helping Geordi with the warp core the interaction button comes up but nothing worked until standing virtually ontop of the core.