test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Kill one tholian captain

Comments

• johnnyray14#4257 johnnyray14 Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    "Hard missions": where noone has gone before, and still can't.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    feiqa wrote: »
    Just a question. But is it possible the QA system is running a slightly different build than the live servers?
    I have read a few stories from QA people on things like this and they mention lots of issues they have where it works fine for them. Or was considered so minor it was chosen to be skipped by their bosses so they would work on a different project.

To that I'd say... WHY ARE THEY RUNNING A DIFFERENT BUILD THAN THE PLAYERS IF THEY ARE QA FOR THE PLAYERS!?!?!?!?!
  • ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,673 Community Manager
    Hey dudes,

This has already been fixed, and will be ready for the next time this Endeavor comes around, but the fix does require a game update and we didn't want to bring the game down for a couple of hours during a long weekend.
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,450 Arc User
    Hey dudes,

This has already been fixed, and will be ready for the next time this Endeavor comes around, but the fix does require a game update and we didn't want to bring the game down for a couple of hours during a long weekend.

Good to know, thanks.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Maybe their intention was to get people to go to Nakura. Regardless, I'll repeat what I said in the Endeavor Thread on this:

'Well if you go to the cave for the Exterior or the Elevator in the Interior you can go to or enter a place that says HARD. It will get you into the Queue for those two Missions. Works just like the Borg, Tholian, or Elachi Red Alerts.

People can rightly think that there are HARD missions there, regardless of the mechanism used to get you into it.'
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • sophia#6343 sophia Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    Thanks for the good news about fixing the Endeavor Tholian Captain mission. <3
    “The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
  • how about the devs give every one a free endeavor box at log in when the endeavor expires, since this was your (the devs) fault, not ours.
    Star Treking, across the universe. Only going forward because we can't find reverse...
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    how about the devs give every one a free endeavor box at log in when the endeavor expires, since this was your (the devs) fault, not ours.

Every endeavor so far *already* has been a free giveaway. So, how's about no?! The entitlement is just too strong in you.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited September 2017
    how about the devs give every one a free endeavor box at log in when the endeavor expires, since this was your (the devs) fault, not ours.

The reward is small and missing one isn't gonna kill anyone. Cryptic would probably TRIBBLE up giving everyone one anyway, so best not to risk it. ;)
  • johnnyray14#4257 johnnyray14 Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    Hey dudes,

Awesome, thanks! I think the majority of us are supportive of that choice. I also think the Endeavors are pretty cool, a nice nudge to explore different parts of the game and some handy extra wildcard marks.
  • drazursouthclawdrazursouthclaw Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    I came here to rant about this, but reading this thread I realise it isn't really that big a deal. That's pretty cool, so thanks all!
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    feiqa wrote: »
    Just a question. But is it possible the QA system is running a slightly different build than the live servers?
    I have read a few stories from QA people on things like this and they mention lots of issues they have where it works fine for them. Or was considered so minor it was chosen to be skipped by their bosses so they would work on a different project.

To that I'd say... WHY ARE THEY RUNNING A DIFFERENT BUILD THAN THE PLAYERS IF THEY ARE QA FOR THE PLAYERS!?!?!?!?!

Heh. From what I have read about how badly QA people are treated most places. They would ask the same question.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    yakodym wrote: »
    The objective could have simply been "Complete the Transdimensional Tactics queue" (or since that one actually had no problem with activity, it could have been Self Destructive Tendencies) and this issue could have been avoided. Instead, they pull this thing about "Captain-level Project Leaders" and miss the memo about "Tholian Captains" and "Tholian Project Leaders" not being the same thing... At least that's my guess on what happened. Another funny reason would be if it was due to the "On Nukara Prime" restriction - I can totally see someone forgetting that those queued missions happen inside their own instances that are not registered as part of Nukara Prime :smiley:
    anodynes wrote: »
    I would actually bet on the latter, they didn't test to see if the queues counted as "on Nukara" or simply forgot that they made those Hard missions queues.
    hivercide wrote: »
    Well, it's nice to see at least a few people seem to have actually read the Mission Info on what counts as a Captain and where...it specifically says "Captain-ranked Tholian Project Leaders can be found in Hard Missions." But as stated, they aren't counting the Project Leaders defeated in the two PvE Nukara Queues, and those are the only place I've seen them at all. Also, I've seen "Easy" and "Medium" missions given by the Base Commander....are there any "Hard" ones at all??

I don't know which explanation is correct either. But for reference, here's the description of the endeavor in the "In Progress" tab of the mission journal.

Gki1UbK.png

It says, "You can find Captain-ranked Tholian Project Leaders in the Hard missions." Whoever wrote that was clearly under the impression that Tholian project leaders should count as captains. It also gives the impression that the writer was either unaware or simply forgot that the two hard missions, "Self Destructive Tendencies" and "Transdimensional Tactics", were turned into queues.

EDIT: Vanilla, don't eat this post, please.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • slifox#0768 slifox Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    Wow that's funny that it was bugged. I had skipped it anyway.
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    The endeavor system from Cryptic is like Microsoft releasing Windows Vista

This was the 22nd Endeavor, and the only one with any issues that I've noticed. I've encountered 1 other bug in the system itself, namely that my Temporal Agent character, the one that I usually run these with, stopped seeing the text of the endeavor in her mission window, and now just sees the progress bar there. Every other character sees it fine, and she can check the objective in the In Progress tab, so it's not a major thing.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Watching all the hubbub around this trivial little bug has been more entertaining than getting the stupid reward box ever could've been. :D
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    frtoaster wrote: »
    It also gives the impression that the writer was either unaware or simply forgot that the two hard missions, "Self Destructive Tendencies" and "Transdimensional Tactics", were turned into queues.
    So? You can still queue for Transdimensional Tactics and Self Destructive Tendencies from Nuka-cola. Self Destructive Tendencies was always instanced content anyway.

Killing the Project Leader was intended to complete the Endeavor. Something is bugged. Speculation is pointless.
    redvenge wrote: »
    It also gives the impression that the writer was either unaware or simply forgot that the two hard missions, "Self Destructive Tendencies" and "Transdimensional Tactics", were turned into queues.
    So? You can still queue for Transdimensional Tactics and Self Destructive Tendencies from Nuka-cola. Self Destructive Tendencies was always instanced content anyway.
    No, they weren't instanced. They were all on the same map. That's why they were made queues. People were having too much fun with the mass battles in the hard zones and someone didn't like it.
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    No, they weren't instanced. They were all on the same map. That's why they were made queues. People were having too much fun with the mass battles in the hard zones and someone didn't like it.
    Transdimensional Tactics was on the map. Self Destructive Tendencies was instanced just like the queues. You click on the elevator and it put you in an instance. Same way it works now.
    redvenge wrote: »
    warpangel wrote: »
    Transdimensional Tactics was on the map. Self Destructive Tendencies was instanced just like the queues. You click on the elevator and it put you in an instance. Same way it works now.
    No, it wasn't. The elevator would just teleport you to a different part of the map. You could get every player on the map in the same mission, it was awesome.
  • bberge1701bberge1701 Member Posts: 726 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2017

This was the 22nd Endeavor, and the only one with any issues that I've noticed. I've encountered 1 other bug in the system itself, namely that my Temporal Agent character, the one that I usually run these with, stopped seeing the text of the endeavor in her mission window, and now just sees the progress bar there. Every other character sees it fine, and she can check the objective in the In Progress tab, so it's not a major thing.

There's a little arrow-symbol next to the Endeavor that allows you to minimize it so that the description is hidden and it just shows the progress bar. Sounds like you clicked on that. Click again to reveal the description again.

It's not a bug, it's an "undocumented feature". :p
    bberge1701 wrote: »

There's a little arrow-symbol next to the Endeavor that allows you to minimize it so that the description is hidden and it just shows the progress bar. Sounds like you clicked on that. Click again to reveal the description again.

I'll be sure to check on that on Friday before I finish that one. Hard to believe that they made the game remember that forever but they can't make the minimap remember my zoom setting.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    Was it hilarious that this happened by Cryptic? Yes. Was it a big let-down? Not to me. I'm more astonished Cryptic admitted they made a boo-boo. It also sounds like Cryptic took reasonable measures to address it & have it correct for in the future. Now Cryptic's attitude towards acknowledging & fixing my account now for over a month I find repugnant & unprofessional, but since I'm not a Lifer nor a Zen big-spender & they already took my money I doubt Cryptic's cares that much.
    https://youtu.be/g8IVI0sZ6F8

It's fixed as of today! What, it was over yesterday? Oh well.
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User

Yes, when you click on an endeavor in the mission tracker, it hides everything about the endeavor except the progress bar and the amount of time remaining; that's a feature, not a bug. This, on the other hand, actually is a bug, though probably one low on their list of priorities.

Holodeck ticket 4,529,380: "Hide" button does not work on endeavors

I'll be sure to check on that on Friday before I finish that one. Hard to believe that they made the game remember that forever but they can't make the minimap remember my zoom setting.

Oh, you mean this bug from Season 6.

Holodeck ticket 3,388,864: Saved mini-map zoom levels are not being loaded
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • grendel#8174 grendel Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    > @coitusinteruptus said:
    > how about the devs give every one a free endeavor box at log in when the endeavor expires, since this was your (the devs) fault, not ours.

Good luck with that.

Yes, when you click on an endeavor in the mission tracker, it hides everything about the endeavor except the progress bar and the amount of time remaining; that's a feature, not a bug. This, on the other hand, actually is a bug, though probably one low on their list of priorities.

Holodeck ticket 4,529,380: "Hide" button does not work on endeavors

Oh, you mean this bug from Season 6.

Holodeck ticket 3,388,864: Saved mini-map zoom levels are not being loaded

I wouldn't even think of it as a bug, really, more of an oversight. I just know that minimap zoom level has basically always been a random thing between logins since I've been playing. I started possibly 6 weeks before Season Six, so it may have worked prior to then, but I just never noticed it.

As for my "bug" earlier, it was indeed not a bug, but an undocumented, and essentially useless, feature. You click on the Endeavor symbol (a golden E with laurel wreath motif around it) and the text of the endeavor is forever hidden, leaving just the progress bar and the timer, until you click it again. I must have clicked on that when trying to open the C-Store or something. Relating it to the bug that frtoaster posted, why not disable the Hide option for Endeavor tasks and simply have that little Endeavor symbol hide the whole thing? At any rate, thanks to @bberge1701 for pointing it out and allowing me to fix it.
  • locutusofcactuslocutusofcactus Member Posts: 651 Arc User
    I thought it was just me having issues with the web. Ba dum chaaa

I got to Nukara prime, couldn't figure out why I couldn't get the endeavor done. Now I know why it's called a "Y" class planet. Ba dum chaaa

Chuck Norris got the endeavor done. He said it has a "queen arachnia" accolade and title. Ba dum chaaa

This discussion has been closed.