test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

making a new mechanic for earning keys

I was wondering if it was possible to STO to make it where maybe you can earn key fragments to earn keys. For example maybe to make one key you would have to earn like 10 key fragments and it takes maybe 5 days to earn 10 key fragments (2 per 20 hours). I don't feel this will take away from people buying lockbox keys. This does however adds more playing value and rewards players for playing. idk just an idea or suggestion. Maybe the devs will actually look into this. thanks guys.

Comments

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    Keys are what keeps the servers running and salaries paid so this is not likely.

But there are already 2 existing ways to earn key fragments:
    - Earn dil. Refine the dil. Got to the Dil Exchange and trade it for Zen. Buy keys from the C-Store.
    - Earn Energy Credits. Go to the Exchange. Buy keys for EC.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    Probably won't happen, especially if its tied to Admiralty as we have people that play who have Altitis and have TONS of alts. So lets say someone has 10 characters. Now... each one is running those admiralty missions (if they are done that way). That's 10 keys on that account for free. And it would get worse the more alts you have, and I'm pretty sure that people can have upwards of 50. That's a lot of money not being put into the game.

As much as I would love another means of getting keys besides spenind 5 mil on the Exchange or buying with zen... I don't see it happening.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • redspecter23redspecter23 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    There are multiple ways to earn keys. Anything you do that earns dilithium or EC or anything you earn that can convert into one of those resources can lead to a key. Sure they could add more ways, but it's not like you can't get keys just by playing the game as it is now.
  • captcoquicaptcoqui Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    it could be per account vs per character. I figured as well just was throwing something out there lol.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    Arc has (had?) a couple of schemes for earning Zen by completing tasks where you play their other games and/or install that raptor? raccoon? ryzen? package.
  • redspecter23redspecter23 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    captcoqui wrote: »
    it could be per account vs per character. I figured as well just was throwing something out there lol.

If they add something like this, it would likely be per account like you suggest. They could add a low % chance for a key from the endeavor system since it's account wide. No account can earn more than 3 reward packs a week so with that limitation in place they could make maybe a 1 in 500 chance at a key per reward. 3 boxes per week with 5 rewards per box would be a 3% chance at a key per week. If they want to be extra safe about it, they could make these keys bound to account. Giving away an average of 1.5 keys per year to players isn't out of the realm of possibility.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    They use Keys and Lockboxes in LOTRO as well. There, however, you get a very, very low rate drop of Keys. They even have a Weekend Event where you dig and can find a Key, again very slim but possible chance.

SWOTOR, just sells a plethora of different 'Lockboxes'. No keys necessary.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    Assuming you only have one character and you max out the daily Dil refinement cap of 8k, you can buy a Master Key every 5 days (4.69 to more accurate) with the current exchange rate of 300:1. More characters mean more keys. Saving up Zen and waiting for key sales can net you better results.

Avoid converting Dil to Zen during ship sales and key sales.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    Doubt they'd do something like this at all. Unless they make the Key Fragments Bound to Character.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    Doubt they'd do something like this at all. Unless they make the Key Fragments Bound to Character.

I know, previous poster already said this. But it bears repeating. :) Lock box (or rather, the keys to open them) is a big chunk of income for them.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    Arc has (had?) a couple of schemes for earning Zen by completing tasks where you play their other games and/or install that raptor? raccoon? ryzen? package.
    yup. I have 20000 points which is like 1800 zen

u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    captcoqui wrote: »
    I was wondering if it was possible to STO to make it where maybe you can earn key fragments to earn keys. For example maybe to make one key you would have to earn like 10 key fragments and it takes maybe 5 days to earn 10 key fragments (2 per 20 hours). I don't feel this will take away from people buying lockbox keys. This does however adds more playing value and rewards players for playing. idk just an idea or suggestion. Maybe the devs will actually look into this. thanks guys.
    Congratulations OP as such a thing is already in place. It's called "dilithium." Trade your dilithium for zen and you can get your free key. Depending on how many characters you have, you can easily earn your free key in no time. Even a single day.

When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
    Either deliberately thick-headed or trolling as the OP is suggesting some sort of In-game mechanism to get a Key without spending any sort of 'currency' on them. A very low chance of obtaining 'Key Fragments' during the normal course of action in the game. Maybe when you 'mine' a Resource Node, you can pick up a Fragment, maybe with a Rare or greater drop.

Remember Klingon Ice Fishing during the Winter Event? There you could earn Collectable Fragments, you get enough you go to the Holiday Vendor and turn them in for a Holiday Ornament.

Good job at making a new poster feel right at home on these Forums.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    Didn't they actually drop keys at some point?! At least I know there were Lobi weekends. Haven't seen the latter either any more, btw.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    They should add Key Fragments to the empty queues. :) You'll never see them filled that fast!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    The last Lobi anything was a Weekend so you only got about 60 Lobi. The one before that was an entire Month and was part of a Featured Episode Rerun Event. You could net about 450 during that one.

Last Summer we had a lack-luster Featured Episode Rerun Event - no Lobi drop at all. They said that the guy that did the Lobi drop mechanism to begin with (once per Account per day when you played one of the Featured Episodes) was no longer with Cryptic and they didn't know how to implement it without him.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    ltminns wrote: »
    The last Lobi anything was a Weekend so you only got about 60 Lobi. The one before that was an entire Month and was part of a Featured Episode Rerun Event. You could net about 450 during that one.

Last Summer we had a lack-luster Featured Episode Rerun Event - no Lobi drop at all. They said that the guy that did the Lobi drop mechanism to begin with (once per Account per day when you played one of the Featured Episodes) was no longer with Cryptic and they didn't know how to implement it without him.

K, thx. Too bad, though: even 60 Lobi is almost 1/3rd piece of Lobi equipment.
    3lsZz0w.jpg