test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Kill one tholian captain

Comments

• questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    trekpuppy wrote: »
    Look at it positively. With this endeavor, they made us revisit more dead content than ever before. ;)

I always did transdimentional, but before you knew you would get an experienced team on elite difficulty and now the team strength varies a LOT.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Didn't one of the livestreams have a QA person on it?

Anyway this post has saved me wasting time hunting one down.
  • lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    The project leader has a rank of captain, but doesn't count for the endeavour anyway.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    Only killing a captain on Nukara appears to counts as I have killed captains in three other areas and they did not count sadly enough...
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Would have been so hard to add a captain somewhere on nukara as a random spawn?

Or in the room at the backend of the Lt. caves.
  • silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    I'm boycotting it, it's clear it's frakked up somewhere
    The first Endeavor objective I bother to undertake, and they frakked it up...
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    hanover2 wrote: »
    redvenge wrote: »
    djf021 wrote: »
    Are you taking about an Endeavor? Try the mission Stormbound in the Future Proof tab. You definitely fight a Tholian captain aboard his ship in that mission.
    The Endeavor is "murderize a Tholian Captain on planet Nuka-cola". None of the Episodes are on planet Nuka-cola.

:lol:

Well, at least I got a laugh out of this whole situation.

I didn't laugh per se, but smiled for certain: I hate ground, and Cryptic just gave me the perfect excuse to skip this endeavor. :)
    Ground can be fun with the right gear :sunglasses:
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    hanover2 wrote: »
    Heaven forbid someone actually test this stuff before deploying it.

Have to agree. This Endeavor is something very straightforward and simple to test.

Unfortunate reality of building things is that developers seldom have one task and they don't have time to work with it before moving on to another task as there are deadlines to make for each thing they build. testing is another department and that means the players are the testers. I would also guess that some content needs to be out at a specific point which means if it is tested or not, it's got to be released at a set point and fixed at a later date when the developers can get to it.

Something like this isn't a burning priority for the developers i would guess because if they mentioned already they may not be able to fix and release a patch for this before an upcoming holiday in the US and before this part of the event ends and i am also guessing that it will be a while before it returns, there isn't a great need to prioritize it until before it's back in the game or unless the devs have some free time to work on it between projects.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    Developers (in general, I mean) do test; they have to see if what they've made actually works at all before handing off to dedicated testers. No-one codes something and just assumes they got it right first time, but this doesn't strike me as a coding thing. It seems more likely the endeavour system just chooses challenges from a list and it's the list that's wrong rather than any underlying game mechanics.

This sort of issue could easily fall through that crack as opposed to something like the healing rail gun, which was just laughable.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    Look at it positively. With this endeavor, they made us revisit more dead content than ever before. ;)

Naturally, seen under that angle, it's sorta positive XD Although i doubt this was Cryptic's goal in the first place.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    ashstorm1 wrote: »

Naturally, seen under that angle, it's sorta positive XD Although i doubt this was Cryptic's goal in the first place.

No, I think it actually was: to get us to play content we otherwise wouldn't.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    lopequil wrote: »
    Developers (in general, I mean) do test; they have to see if what they've made actually works at all before handing off to dedicated testers. No-one codes something and just assumes they got it right first time, but this doesn't strike me as a coding thing. It seems more likely the endeavour system just chooses challenges from a list and it's the list that's wrong rather than any underlying game mechanics.

This sort of issue could easily fall through that crack as opposed to something like the healing rail gun, which was just laughable.

Issues and bugs are always a constant in new content and it would be wrong to say that Cryptic could catch everything. Internal testing can only provide so much information and clues where as external testing by the players could reveal a lot more or other issues the inernal testing wouldn't have seen. Also again developers may not have a lot of time to find a fix for it before releasing the content anyway.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    In some way this has nothing to do with testing, all you had to know was who the NPCs were in the target Queues. THERE ARE NO CAPTAINS IN THOSE QUEUES. As I pointed out further up, the STOWiki tells you where you can find them - the two cave missions on New Romulus and 'Stormbound'.

One of the objectives in both those Nakura Queues was kill the PROJECT LEADER. So instead of Captains they should have had the Endeavor objective to be a Project Leader.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited September 2017
    Unfortunate reality of building things is that developers seldom have one task and they don't have time to work with it before moving on to another task as there are deadlines to make for each thing they build. testing is another department and that means the players are the testers....

Yes, we know testing is another department. I do find it a bit of a stretch that "test latest Endeavor" wasn't on the checklist for the testing department prior to the build going live.

I'm sure it was, and perhaps they did test it, but when was it tested? a day before release and only an hour of testing? Or several weeks before hand with all week to test it completely?

Also the testers, are they full competent to locate every single issue? No one prefect and nothing is certain.

Would this thing have showed up outside the development build?

There are quite a few questions. but assigning blame doesn't really solve anything.
    I'm sure it was, and perhaps they did test it, but when was it tested? a day before release and only an hour of testing? Or several weeks before hand with all week to test it completely?

Also the testers, are they full competent to locate every single issue? No one prefect and nothing is certain.

There are quite a few questions. but assigning blame doesn't really solve anything.

No doubt there are many things that can happen or get missed or fall through the cracks. Everyone is human. However, killing one single boss shouldn't be a challenge to test. Just saying.

Were I to make a wild guess, it probably was tested and didn't work, but the time required to fix it would be longer than it would be before the next Endeavor was to take place. No need to hold up an entire patch just for that.

yes, prcisely the point i was making earlier, they didn't have the time to get a fix in place. it happens. Even a simple thing could get overlooked. i mean a person could misplace their wallet and end up going to the shops, wheeling a cart full of goodies to the till and find out their wallet isn't on them on payment.

I wouldn't put it outside the realm of possibilities that a single boss kill for a simple objective could of been overlooked in testing. So there is our point :smile:.
  • grendel#8174 grendel Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    The endeavor system from Cryptic is like Microsoft releasing Windows Vista
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    As much as I didn't like Vista it wasn't broken, it was just bloated with unnecessary software.
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    I don't know what it is with Nuka-cola. It has a history of half-baked ideas.

When they first introduced the zone, they also introduced the Crystalline Shell set (which could be upgraded to the Crystalline Nanofiber Shell set, which is now a Reputation set). The 2 piece set bonus was + Energy Damage. Problem was, the weapon is Cold damage and was not boosted by +Energy Damage, so they changed the set bonus to +All Damage. However, the shield has "Chance to boost Energy Damage by 10% for 4 seconds"... which still does not benefit the weapon.
  • yakodymyakodym Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    The objective could have simply been "Complete the Transdimensional Tactics queue" (or since that one actually had no problem with activity, it could have been Self Destructive Tendencies) and this issue could have been avoided. Instead, they pull this thing about "Captain-level Project Leaders" and miss the memo about "Tholian Captains" and "Tholian Project Leaders" not being the same thing... At least that's my guess on what happened. Another funny reason would be if it was due to the "On Nukara Prime" restriction - I can totally see someone forgetting that those queued missions happen inside their own instances that are not registered as part of Nukara Prime :smiley:
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User

No doubt there are many things that can happen or get missed or fall through the cracks. Everyone is human. However, killing one single boss shouldn't be a challenge to test. Just saying.

Were I to make a wild guess, it probably was tested and didn't work, but the time required to fix it would be longer than it would be before the next Endeavor was to take place. No need to hold up an entire patch just for that.
    I'd say the odds they've tested every single endeavor in the list of possible endeavors is just shy of 0%.

It is in fact entirely plausible they generated the list automatically from the game data and just had some intern type the descriptions. Clearly, whoever did this one didn't know/remember they removed the Hard missions on Nukara years ago.
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    yakodym wrote: »
    The objective could have simply been "Complete the Transdimensional Tactics queue" (or since that one actually had no problem with activity, it could have been Self Destructive Tendencies) and this issue could have been avoided. Instead, they pull this thing about "Captain-level Project Leaders" and miss the memo about "Tholian Captains" and "Tholian Project Leaders" not being the same thing... At least that's my guess on what happened. Another funny reason would be if it was due to the "On Nukara Prime" restriction - I can totally see someone forgetting that those queued missions happen inside their own instances that are not registered as part of Nukara Prime :smiley:

I would actually bet on the latter, they didn't test to see if the queues counted as "on Nukara" or simply forgot that they made those Hard missions queues.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    Just a question. But is it possible the QA system is running a slightly different build than the live servers?
    I have read a few stories from QA people on things like this and they mention lots of issues they have where it works fine for them. Or was considered so minor it was chosen to be skipped by their bosses so they would work on a different project.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • elijah#5427 elijah Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Is this the Kobayashi Maru of Endeavor?
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    More like a wild goose chase, this endeavor is about as useful as a chocolate tea cosy
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • hivercidehivercide Member Posts: 67 Arc User
      anodynes wrote: »
      yakodym wrote: »

I would actually bet on the latter, they didn't test to see if the queues counted as "on Nukara" or simply forgot that they made those Hard missions queues.

Well, it's nice to see at least a few people seem to have actually read the Mission Info on what counts as a Captain and where...it specifically says "Captain-ranked Tholian Project Leaders can be found in Hard Missions." But as stated, they aren't counting the Project Leaders defeated in the two PvE Nukara Queues, and those are the only place I've seen them at all. Also, I've seen "Easy" and "Medium" missions given by the Base Commander....are there any "Hard" ones at all??
    • trekpuppytrekpuppy Member Posts: 446 Arc User
      feiqa wrote: »
      Just a question. But is it possible the QA system is running a slightly different build than the live servers?
      I have read a few stories from QA people on things like this and they mention lots of issues they have where it works fine for them. Or was considered so minor it was chosen to be skipped by their bosses so they would work on a different project.

I'm not saying you're wrong but that would defeat the purpose of a test environment.
      ---
      "-Grind is good!" --Gordon Geko
      Accolades checklist: https://bit.ly/FLUFFYS
    This discussion has been closed.