test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Goddesses Comic.

Comments

• smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    shevet wrote: »
    Is that an interocitor, up against the right-hand wall of that laboratory?

~shoves a cookie in your mouth~ Ding ding ding! :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    i used to be halfway good with a pen drawing things with shadows with a fair degree of accuracy, but i lost that artistic spark not long after leaving school well over 12 years ago. my art teacher thought i had a lot of ability and talent, she also nutured my interest in space opera stuff like star trek on the other students. part of me loved that bit where star trek music was blaring out.

now i look at this and i think how fantastic it looks from someone who wishes he has such ability to create something like that. it really is great work from @smokebailey.

Thanks ~curtsy~
    For some reason, art teachers, as well as English/Literature teachers, HATE science fiction, in any form.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    Thank you for the shout-out! Tamura is indeed beautiful. I mostly grabbed the pic because I needed a good example of the more narrow near-V neck collar rather than the big wide round standy-up thing that's on the uniform in-game. I really want this collar option added to the tailor! But when I was looking for an icon pic I realized this one was gorgeous and appropriate so I used it. :)

One silly question, if there's no money in the future why is there an ATM attached to that Iconian orb in engineering? :P

Your welcome, yo! ~curtsy~

I was waiting for that question. I needed some machiney looking bits to be used for my character's jury rigging of the Iconian Sphere. I just re-textured it, added an isoliner chip and some other bits and bobs to make something up. :)

I'm a Tamura fan girl myself, and figured, "Maybe she was on the Pioneer as well, since Meres was there....why not?" And IF there's enough interest in a Kelvin comic, Tamura is gonna be one of the regulars. And I've done art of her a few times prior to starting STO back in 2014's summer.

siZgwmd.jpg

fZftmjh.jpg

Was pondering the idea of a totally different ship as well at one point
    UUShMNa.jpg

rkwFXQ6.jpg

QCdhVNH.jpg

OUUg7Cy.jpg

s11QgyN.jpg

5tjptCl.jpg

ySfVLVV.jpg

QM6buVo.jpg

UB7frSk.jpg

jBl4mje.jpg

LZQ64bE.jpg

ulRyki2.jpg

aSGUOfM.jpg

LZqIRM9.jpg

t7QSxzH.jpg

3 "In Thy Image" teaser/test shots:

n86frPX.jpg

HipCzji.jpg

7FUhnrv.jpg

So, if there's interest, let me know. :) And I'll have the next pages of the war games story up as soon as I can, working on the space shots currently. ;)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    I was about to say, that I really like your custom ship, and that it had a kind of Voyager-y feel to it, then I scrolled down, and saw the name on the next photo :D:sunglasses: Awesome work, as always <3:sunglasses:
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
    I was about to say, that I really like your custom ship, and that it had a kind of Voyager-y feel to it, then I scrolled down, and saw the name on the next photo :D:sunglasses: Awesome work, as always <3:sunglasses:

Not mine, the voyager and the connie were made by a dude that goes by "Madman" I just reskinned it :D
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    Beautiful work, as always! BTW, check your mail :p
    Tankies ~curtsy~

Will do shortly :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    Thanks ~curtsy~
    For some reason, art teachers, as well as English/Literature teachers, HATE science fiction, in any form.

You could probably also add television and movie studios as well as art critics to that list as well. For some reason sci-fi seems to have a really bad reputation with a lot of art community. I wonder if it stems from being non-traditional at its core... most other settings tend to be rooted in the present day or the past in some manner, but sci-fi tends to build new worlds which require a willing suspension of disbelief.

As for your art, I like that Voyager mod, it really stands out compared to the more traditional designs. I've seen a lot of other fan redesigns to bring 24th century ships in line with TOS or sometimes Kelvin-verse aesthetics, but for some reason everyone always avoids reimaging the Galaxy class. I've always wondered how that type of ship would look if they had tried to build it in the 24th century.

Out of curiosity, have you ever tried making your characters and backgrounds more stylized? I personally feel that trying to go for realism winds up setting the bar to high for viewer expectations, and winds up leaving the finished product looking dated when compared to professional works. Some people might not like having a more cartoonish look, but I think it tends to age better and helps temper audience expectations.

Edit: That USS Bushnell design is giving me a Liberator vibe, from Blake's 7, with its design.
    lordrezeon wrote: »
    Thanks ~curtsy~

You could probably also add television and movie studios as well as art critics to that list as well. For some reason sci-fi seems to have a really bad reputation with a lot of art community. I wonder if it stems from being non-traditional at its core... most other settings tend to be rooted in the present day or the past in some manner, but sci-fi tends to build new worlds which require a willing suspension of disbelief.

As for your art, I like that Voyager mod, it really stands out compared to the more traditional designs. I've seen a lot of other fan redesigns to bring 24th century ships in line with TOS or sometimes Kelvin-verse aesthetics, but for some reason everyone always avoids reimaging the Galaxy class. I've always wondered how that type of ship would look if they had tried to build it in the 24th century.

Out of curiosity, have you ever tried making your characters and backgrounds more stylized? I personally feel that trying to go for realism winds up setting the bar to high for viewer expectations, and winds up leaving the finished product looking dated when compared to professional works. Some people might not like having a more cartoonish look, but I think it tends to age better and helps temper audience expectations.

Edit: That USS Bushnell design is giving me a Liberator vibe, from Blake's 7, with its design.

What ya mean by stylized? I mean can ya show an example of it? I might be knowing what ya mean, but a different world or description might be in my head, though.

A Kelvin Galaxy would probably be the size of the Enterprise J, and I don't know if the whole JJ vibe would allow the exploratory elements of TNG....but who knows.

I always try to go cartoony as much as I can. You'll see anime elements, like the sweatdrops, or giant hammers, and expressions, etc. :) Like this one describing my PVP career in game XD 9RJ2heX.jpg

Or my Trek take on the Red Dwarf crew
    q0KxH8r.jpg

A good Red Dwarf fan would probably remember what this is about
    eSdKb3B.jpg

LyXVLie.jpg

h0H55J7.jpg

2XvnUl6.jpg

cJXzD7Q.jpg

V2cy47A.jpg

HZoqtrg.jpg

3f1aNIK.jpg
    dvZq2Aj.jpg

Not mine, the voyager and the connie were made by a dude that goes by "Madman" I just reskinned it :D
    Ahhhh :sunglasses:

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    By stylized I was just going for a polite way of saying like a cartoon (since some people look down on that format). Kind of what Pixar or DreamWorks do with their cg movies. Its mostly in the facial proportions, typically the larger than normal eyes that cartoons tend to use. But don't feel that you have to change anything on my account, I'm just tossing out ideas from the peanut gallery.

*sees the Saladin class in the background of one of the pictures* Hm... that deflector dish hanging down like that has always bugged me... Perhaps that type of ship would look better if it had an NX style rectangular dish on the leading edge of the nacelle pylon.
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    Are all your girls so thin? It makes me want to introduce them to gumbo and shrimp'n'grits. I know preferences vary, and the artist has the final say, but some guys like Butter.

I eagerly await their next mission, perhaps to the Cajun planet where everyone is a gourmet chef and master fisherman.
    brian334 wrote: »
    Are all your girls so thin? It makes me want to introduce them to gumbo and shrimp'n'grits. I know preferences vary, and the artist has the final say, but some guys like Butter.

I eagerly await their next mission, perhaps to the Cajun planet where everyone is a gourmet chef and master fisherman.

Watch anime, you'll see. Aiko3 and Hiro3 are, by default, slim figures, as anime people normally are. And some clothing bits for them can be adjusted, some can not, so I sorta cookie cutter the bodies for the most part, it's just easier on me overall.

Plus I'm a thin gal myself. ~shrugs~

There's Cajun planets in Trek? o.O
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    But, seriously, folks, if I do a Kelvin comic, which ship ya think would be best?
    F1ysq9T.jpg

hlauqLh.jpg

H5X7CKd.jpg

RPx4IVF.jpg

RU3ItFy.jpg

YiADiV2.jpg

hLg4GdQ.jpg

LjtjTq7.jpg

So far, the Connie is the candidate, but feedbacks, opinions and ideas always welcome.
    Madman made some nice Kelvin scouts, destroyers and an Excelsior, but none in poser format as of yet. u.u
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    #2, with #3 a close second :sunglasses:

• brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    I have to say that I've always had a thing for the FASA single nacelle designs and the Saladin/Hermes. I know it violates Roddenberry's 'nacelles come in pairs only' rule, but why make a rule if nobody's breaking it?

Of the available choices, #4 just looks faster and more predatory. It looks like a panther in a room full of cats and dogs. I like it as first choice.

#3 is, for me, the least interesting. I never cared for the Miranda/Reliant look, though I realize others are passionate for the design.

The others are just Connies, and when it comes to Connies I prefer 1701 with no bloody A, B, or D.
    brian334 wrote: »
    I have to say that I've always had a thing for the FASA single nacelle designs and the Saladin/Hermes. I know it violates Roddenberry's 'nacelles come in pairs only' rule, but why make a rule if nobody's breaking it?

Of the available choices, #4 just looks faster and more predatory. It looks like a panther in a room full of cats and dogs. I like it as first choice.

#3 is, for me, the least interesting. I never cared for the Miranda/Reliant look, though I realize others are passionate for the design.

The others are just Connies, and when it comes to Connies I prefer 1701 with no bloody A, B, or D.
    I pulled a re-start yesterday for the lulz, and came up with a rather nice starter ship using the Miranda struts, Saratoga pylons, and Centaur saucer and nacelles. The nacelles look a little too long, but for the most part, I think it looks quite nice, and, if the Miranda looks like it's made from Connie parts, this looks like it's been made with Excelsior parts :sunglasses:

I would post a pic, but photobucket seems to have issues and a silly idea about account upgrades... ;)

Use imgur, then.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    Use imgur, then.
    This might work *fingers crossed*

RTmxxL7.jpg

bimTsTS.jpg

lKI6EEz.jpg

1BEMq7j.jpg

That looks really good! As in, "should be a canon variant" level of good.
    Thank you :blush::blush:

Use imgur, then.

RTmxxL7.jpg

bimTsTS.jpg

lKI6EEz.jpg

1BEMq7j.jpg

Looks good.

One of my Kelvin models I got is like that, but 3 engine pods.

Anyhow, the comic pages are coming along alright, spent yesterday rendering a pile of images for the space shots, now I can focus on the interior shots. :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    Use imgur, then.

RTmxxL7.jpg

bimTsTS.jpg

lKI6EEz.jpg

1BEMq7j.jpg

Looks good.

Anyhow, the comic pages are coming along alright, spent yesterday rendering a pile of images for the space shots, now I can focus on the interior shots. :)
    Thanks ^_^ I'm going to try and hold onto it as long as the levels allow :tongue:

Awesome, I'll look forward to seeing what you've come up with :sunglasses:

Use imgur, then.

RTmxxL7.jpg

bimTsTS.jpg

lKI6EEz.jpg

1BEMq7j.jpg

Looks good.

Thanks ^_^ I'm going to try and hold onto it as long as the levels allow :tongue:

Awesome, I'll look forward to seeing what you've come up with :sunglasses:

Scroll up, the 3 pod one is there
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    edited September 2017
    It looks great ^_^ I liked the ones in Axanar and 09 which had two nacelles at the top, and two hulls at the bottom :sunglasses: Made me think of aircraft carriers in terms of role :sunglasses:

*Extra text.....

It looks great ^_^ I liked the ones in Axanar and 09 which had two nacelles at the top, and two hulls at the bottom :sunglasses: Made me think of aircraft carriers in terms of role :sunglasses:

*Extra text.....

This one?
    Ixnnp9U.jpg
    dvZq2Aj.jpg

*Extra text.....

This one?
    Ixnnp9U.jpg
    Of the ones you posted, yes, but this was the one I was meaning from Axanar :sunglasses:

5Vz5QWI.jpg

I got a similar model, I'll fish it when I get a chance.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    I got a similar model, I'll fish it when I get a chance.
    Awesome :sunglasses: I think the thing which makes me think of it as possibly being a carrier, is not only the second hull, but that it only has half a saucer section, suggesting that the other hulls, are the focus of its function :sunglasses: