test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] The Arena of Sompek Returns for Three Weeks!

1234568»

Comments

• avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    Problem is they expected you to play a previous 3 day event for 3 weeks for a less as good reward than the initial reward.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    sarah2774 wrote: »
    LwWKJJL.jpg

Sompek Pulsewave

First thought on seeing it was "what happens when you cross the beams?"

As for the lack of info on the weapon thats starting to become something of a thing with the blogposts where they either don't bother (brushfire reward showed week 3 as ??? despite info being in game so why hide it) or give massive spoilers such as how martok was going to come into the story when all they needed was to say they have him and he's coming. Or those that are just story or dialogue between characters which (sadly) come across as better written than what actually makes it into the episodes.
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,762 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    sarah2774 wrote: »
    LwWKJJL.jpg

Sompek Pulsewave

I haven't actually used it yet, I just know that it Blue (Rare). I love to see a vid of it in action.
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • paddy#3322 paddy Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    It seems that most players have figured out the event now. Due to my work schedule I couldn't do the untimed event so instead ran timed. Everyone asked and agreed to quitting after 5 rounds. No acerbic comments or nonsense but instead just a pleasant run through the arena. Ran untimed last night, after I took advantage of the flash sale, and everyone tried with people complimenting each other in chat and having fun. It's still a fun queue and I'm glad to see people besides me enjoying it.

The above pics of the pulsewave are interesting. Would like to see some stats but unless this thing is really amazing I suppose I'm just going to pass it off to a boff at the end of the day regardless.
    RIP (2022) : Officer Wilbert Mota, Corporal Charles Galloway, Detective Jason Rivera, Officer Fernando
    Arroyos, Officer John Painter, K9 Jedi, K9 Maya, Deputy Constable Neil Adams, Officer Jorge
    David Alvarado, Sergeant Joshua Cordell, Trooper Martin Mack, Trooper Branden Sisca,
    Lieutenant William Lebo
  • kaarruukaarruu Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    Serious question to whoever designed the Sompek pulsewave: why? What is it good for?

Pulsewave as a weapon type works well in close quarters, especially if you're able to pin the target in a corner, against a wall or something so it doesn't get punched beyond the horizon. Not my playstyle (I play either glorious melee or cowardly snipers), but I do understand how and why it works.

This gun scatters targets. In what situation would I WANT to scatter my targets? Goes double for pulsewave, which this thing is. Reverse the effect into pull instead of a push and you have a handy weapon. As it is now, it's pretty much pointless.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    should really replace the repel on the pulsewave with a stun or root

because, y'know...electrocution freezes you in place​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • zurielsevenzurielseven Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    Will the new Arena of Sompek give titles for wave completion as the previous version(s) did?

I'm here from the future to answer my past-self: YES.

Also: Don't look at the eclipse directly. I burned your eyes.
    should really replace the repel on the pulsewave with a stun or root

because, y'know...electrocution freezes you in place​​

It does? I thought that was ice. :p
  • awlaforgeawlaforge Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    Let me come back to say this: We hear you. The discussions are happening. I had a few of them myself this morning.

Probably not for this event, but they are happening.

Understood. To add a suggestion I am sure others have or will submit; why not make the actual device (console, trait, weapon, etc.) an account unlock? Keep the mark/dilithium rewards per character.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Blue (Rare) at Mk XIII is bad, but only Blue XIV is worse. An awful lot of Quality improvement needed.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Blue (Rare) at Mk XIII is bad, but only Blue XIV is worse. An awful lot of Quality improvement needed.
    Got keychain? Probably the easiest way to do it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    Keychain?
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • rickpaaarickpaaa Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    This is the first event that I have avoided altogether. I am reading nothing to make me believe it is worthwhile.
    giphy.gif
    Member since December 2009

I must admit, I really like this one for use against the Borg. Even as is. :smile:
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Keychain?
    The ultimate tech upgrades you get in the "key ring" bundle.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    I assumed that you meant the Ultimate Tech Upgrade. I have used 30 in the past. Have none available right now. Thanks. :)
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • jamchemyjamchemy Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    I want my fleet marks.....stupid AFK robbed me of my fleet marks in sompek...wth. Arc doesn't care about its users, because we have been complaining and all they can say is "the system is automated and there is nothing we can do about it. Sorry for the inconvenience and hope you will continue to enjoy the game". I say UP YOURS.
  • aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    jamchemy wrote: »
    I want my fleet marks.....stupid AFK robbed me of my fleet marks in sompek...wth. Arc doesn't care about its users, because we have been complaining and all they can say is "the system is automated and there is nothing we can do about it. Sorry for the inconvenience and hope you will continue to enjoy the game". I say UP YOURS.

I always say something along the lines of: Then the system should be changed to a more responsive and progressive one which focusing on meeting customer needs to try and minimize cognitive dissonance from the end user experience - just sayin'....
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
    If anyone is interested, a vid about the Sompek Pulsewave.
    It's even been upgraded ( about 11:30 minutes ) so you can see what a Gold level one looks like.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_R2lxzP5kE
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    I'm happy with the 5ompek shottie - its a very unique weapon that is quite deceptive and caused quite a few discussions over its worth after the leaked stats turned up as its stats look lackluster...until you realise its capabilities

Having got hold of mine on the right character, I'm in love with it (going so far as to restyle my guys armor to match the 5ompek shotties look) - once you figure out its quirks and learn to exploit them I'd definitly rank it behind the Cochrane (due to borg adaptation issues)- While its not a big number machine like the boolean, it however is great in its niche and its tertiary fire is very useful to boot, serving as a decent shield heal (especially with certain traits)
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    So, seeing as the Sompek event is ending a few hours, I wanted to take a moment and add my feedback on this former 4 day event that's now a 3 week grind event.

First off, the two versions that we were given for this event. When Sompek originally came out as a weekend event, there was only the untimed version, which everyone needed to run if they wanted to get the token for the day, which unlocked after a certain round. After the Kobayashi Maru event came out, there was a timed version added to lessen the amount of time one had to spend if they didn't want a long time in a match. When this was brought to a 14 day grind, a 20 minute timed version was created with it.

Untimed
    - Expectation: Anyone who wanted to run the untimed version was free to run it until they were tired of it or the whole group got wiped out.
    - Reality: While I only been in one untimed version, I'm sure there was much less 5 and die people around. Feel free to correct me.

Timed
    - Expectation: With a timed version, the developers expected that people who wanted a short version would want to see how long they could get in 20 minutes, with the result either being they make it to round X in 20 minutes or they get wiped out before the 20 minutes were up.
    - Reality: Even though this was a timed version, many people quickly adopted the "5-6 round and die" approach because they have so many characters to run through and don't want to spend 20 minutes on each character (especially the ones that have over 10 since this equates to hours to complete on every character they want)

Now for the issue of the per character grind vs. The 1 character unlocks for entire account scenario. It's clear that when you give an incentive for an account unlock, people are willing to run the event more and longer because they don't have to worry about running it on multiple characters.

However, when it's on a 14 day grind with single character unlocks, peoples levels of fun over the event sharply decline because they may want the shiny, but don't like having to run it on every single character just to unlock it.

Suggestions: 1) The next time the event comes around (including future 14 day events), make it so that one character can unlock the prize for the entire account, and if people want the 50,000 dilithium, they can run it on other characters without the worry of unlocking the shiny on that character.

2) If the 14 day grind, character unlock has to remain, at least make it so that the token is awarded at the end of the timed event rather than the 5th round so that people wanting to run the full 20 minutes can run it and still get the reward. 20 minutes can go pretty quick when you're dodging hazards and looking for enemies to shoot.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
    And start making the special reward weapon a minimum of Very Rare. Rare at XIII. They do that on purpose so that it is a very long grind up.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • awlaforgeawlaforge Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    So, seeing as the Sompek event is ending a few hours, I wanted to take a moment and add my feedback on this former 4 day event that's now a 3 week grind event.

<snip>

Timed

<snip>

Now for the issue of the per character grind vs. The 1 character unlocks for entire account scenario. It's clear that when you give an incentive for an account unlock, people are willing to run the event more and longer because they don't have to worry about running it on multiple characters.

However, when it's on a 14 day grind with single character unlocks, peoples levels of fun over the event sharply decline because they may want the shiny, but don't like having to run it on every single character just to unlock it.

Suggestions: 1) The next time the event comes around (including future 14 day events), make it so that one character can unlock the prize for the entire account, and if people want the 50,000 dilithium, they can run it on other characters without the worry of unlocking the shiny on that character.

2) If the 14 day grind, character unlock has to remain, at least make it so that the token is awarded at the end of the timed event rather than the 5th round so that people wanting to run the full 20 minutes can run it and still get the reward. 20 minutes can go pretty quick when you're dodging hazards and looking for enemies to shoot.

Totally agree. When I saw this was going to be a 14 day grind fest, I already knew I was not going to take the time to run it on all eligible toons. Heck, I started doing the un-timed event but as we went from one to 4 and so on days into it, "five and die" became the norm. Even with running event on half my toons and then splitting them between starts (half first week, half second week with second half finishing on week 3) it was still a long grind.

I don't know if Cryptic realizes the big favor they did players when they made event ships account unlocks. I for one think it was one of the best things they did. The races, floater tours, and Omega Particle trace runs don't take nearly as long as say the Arena of Sompek or worse, the Mirror Incursion or The Breach Event (even after it was "streamlined"). And you don't have to queue for them, wait for queue droppers or quitters then grind a 10-30 minute event multiple times for two or three weeks (depending on number of toons the event is run on).
    I only did the full Event on one of my 14 Characters. All the others just did it 5 or less times. I had a goal of at least unlocking the Emote on all Characters. One thing I will say, all my Characters have been made much more viable for Ground Combat.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    Earlier today the 10 minute server shut-down announcement is made so I go to switch characters & then immediately locked-out & it reads server is down. Oh well that last character will have to wait to finish the event, but don't worry it's one of my 6 characters that has the incorrect subscriber veteran experience point bonus boost that you wont fix for over a month now. LOL. Classic Cryptic.
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User

So anyone who doesn't make it for 20 minutes gets nothing plus a 30 minute cooldown? Terrible idea. The expectation by the developers was a range, and dying after 4 rounds was the minimum of that range. Your expectation may have been to go the full 20 minutes, but that was the absolute maximum expectation of that range in the design.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    anodynes wrote: »

So anyone who doesn't make it for 20 minutes gets nothing plus a 30 minute cooldown? Terrible idea. The expectation by the developers was a range, and dying after 4 rounds was the minimum of that range. Your expectation may have been to go the full 20 minutes, but that was the absolute maximum expectation of that range in the design.

Exactly, Anodynes!