test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Tower of Commerce: A new discord trading channel

samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
Hello players! Or what's left of you guys...

So i had the idea many months ago to create a discord server for trading in STO. There are many reasons for this, thanks to Discord's website and phone app it can be accessed from anywhere 24/7. It also allows ads to be posted that will stay up since chat isn't wiped every time you log out. Also it will allow a wider range if goods and services to be offered such as custom weapon/item crafting or large quantities of an item and of course things too expensive to sell on the exchange.

So in addition to all of the normal trade functions people who turn over large quantities of certain items can offer up a miniature store front of sorts so that everyone will know who they are and what they sell. In addition we can host auctions for highly prized items and also put Discord's voice chat functions to good use.

I think there will be many more benefits we will discover as time goes on but for now i'm just inviting everyone to come take a look around and start trading!

We are a small team so far, many of us are from Reddit and The Science Channel so we have experience with this sort of thing. That being said we are currently accepting applications for admin and moderator positions. We prefer it if you have some market experience.

So if you want to get back to basics in a fun and engaging trade atmosphere, or maybe you just want to be part of a trading organization not run by an TRIBBLE, join up today!

We also have an in-game channel so that people can link up to complete agreed upon trades.

https://discord.gg/3JDbht

/channel_join towerofcommerce

If anyone has trouble with the link let me know!

Liquidator Kronos
Post edited by samt1996 on

Comments

• lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Joined.

Having much experience of Discord based operations I can see some advantages to this. The platform is very easy to use and open to a whole host of adaptions that could be very useful for such an idea.
    SulMatuul.png
  • samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    > @repetitiveepic said:
    > This seems like a lot more hassle than just using TheTradingChannel like most people do...

Fair enough but i think it will actually simplify the experience because it can function as a sort of mini-ebay so that ads don't get burried in chat. Post once and it's good for days.
    > @repetitiveepic said:
    > samt1996 wrote: »
    >
    > > @repetitiveepic said:
    > > This seems like a lot more hassle than just using TheTradingChannel like most people do...
    >
    > Fair enough but i think it will actually simplify the experience because it can function as a sort of mini-ebay so that ads don't get burried in chat. Post once and it's good for days.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Sort of like the exchange

Yes but the exchange has a fixed price and sellers are anonymous. You have more flexibility in what your selling and for what. Plus some things you can't put on the exchange like game codes, some ships and massive bulk items.
  • donnydoo818#3004 donnydoo818 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    That just gets back to why not use TTC like normal people?

Why does it bother you so much? If the dude wants to make new channel, so what? It's not like you have to use it if you don't want to. No reason to keep spazzing out in his thread.
    edited August 2017
    [quote="repetitiveepic;c-13260885"]

Then there's the other virtue, how well it's run. TTC is impeccably well run...

[/quote]

:|

Without starting an argument i will simply state that i wouldn't have bothered to create a new trade organization if i thought for a second this statement had any truth to it. You might say it was the catalyst that drove us to do this.
    edited August 2017
    Duplicate
  • silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    samt1996 wrote: »
    > @repetitiveepic said:
    > samt1996 wrote: »
    >
    > > @repetitiveepic said:
    > > This seems like a lot more hassle than just using TheTradingChannel like most people do...
    >
    > Fair enough but i think it will actually simplify the experience because it can function as a sort of mini-ebay so that ads don't get burried in chat. Post once and it's good for days.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Sort of like the exchange

Yes but the exchange has a fixed price and sellers are anonymous. You have more flexibility in what your selling and for what. Plus some things you can't put on the exchange like game codes, some ships and massive bulk items.

That just gets back to why not use TTC like normal people?

Trading channels in general have become less useful since they fixed the exchange and bank limits, since now you can sell ships on the exchange instead of being forced to do it through chat/ face to face.

The main virtue of any marketplace is how big it is. TTC has 1000s of members.

Then there's the other virtue, how well it's run. TTC is impeccably well run with an ideal set of rules that were developed and proven through time and experience.

And finally the pull factor, TTC has crosis and he sells high end stuff at deep discounts all the time. Who is bankrolling the "join my channel get free/cheap stuff" pull factor?

Years ago there was the Half Price Trades nutcase, but he didnt have anything to sell at half price to people, he wanted to buy stuff at half price.
    Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • contrarydecisioncontrarydecision Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    Gotta agree here. I don't see the point to this existing.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    This seems like a lot more hassle than just using TheTradingChannel like most people do...

Gotta agree here.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • defraggerdefragger Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    Kudos for starting your own trade channel first and formost\m/.But you shouldn't bash a mod who has a proven track history of keeping people from getting ripped off.TTC has probably seen just about every scam out there,and still kept it from happening.I personally Commend Crosis for his decisions,as we are co-mods.Some people call him out on cheating on winning ships,ect.Did you ever take into context that he might be an entrepeneur,a doctor,or lawyer?And spending RL money,or albeit serious grinds?.The fact of the matter is that he stands for protecting the integrity of TTC despite what he has,and what he has accumulated.TTC was based on the premise of trusted trade amongst a tight knit community.TTC doesnt bash other trading channels,or free channels as this was not the premise of it.All I can say is be aware of the variables before you judge someone,and dont try to destroy a foundry people tried to build
    edited August 2017
    In all seriousness while Crosis does tend to get weird and crotchety sometimes he's done an amazing job of keeping TTC from being over-run by scammers, idiots, and beggars.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Naming & shaming is not allowed here; and, @baddmoonrizin, if anything, this thread reminds me why.

As for wanting to create a new channel, that's everyone's prerogative; personally, I'm quite content just staying in TheTradingChannel, but YMMV.
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    This seems like a lot more hassle than just using TheTradingChannel like most people do...

Gotta agree here.

Same.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    A pox on all the houses.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    nikephorus wrote: »
    meimeitoo wrote: »

Gotta agree here.

Same.
    Add me to the list.

There's literally no reason to create new trading channels unless someone needs their own private scamming channel.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
    In all seriousness while Crosis does tend to get weird and crotchety sometimes he's done an amazing job of keeping TTC from being over-run by scammers, idiots, and beggars.

They keep making their own new channels lol

There's literally no reason to create new trading channels unless someone needs their own private scamming channel.

Anything to get a few suckers before they're burned and have to start again. Judging by what I saw of the place it seems like people that got ran out of TTC and the trading subreddit for being scammers deciding to try and make their own place where they can do whatever they want. Saw some things linked that make the guy running it look real questionable for other reasons too.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    One risk is that with discord being an out of game thing, using it to trade items might be seen as a violation of the ToS even if you only use if to bring buyer and seller together for ingame ec for "stuff" trades.

Although it does seem more like poetrade (path of exile trading website) than the hack your account and use it as a spambot site that we all know and hate.
  • comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    I'd say just give it a try before you guys start bashing it out like that.
    Anything to get a few suckers before they're burned and have to start again. Judging by what I saw of the place it seems like people that got ran out of TTC and the trading subreddit for being scammers deciding to try and make their own place where they can do whatever they want. Saw some things linked that make the guy running it look real questionable for other reasons too.

Not sure where you pulling that information from, but I've never been pushed or ran out of either the TTC or the trading subreddit.

I guess I'm just questionable then :/

But anyways,

Just give it a try, hang around, if its not your thing no need to join it no one here is forcing anyone to join it!

Cheers,
    Comrademoco
    6tviTDx.png

• lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Seems to be an awful lot of hostility here towards a fresh idea guys. Nobody is trying to scam anyone.

This is just a try at providing a different means of getting people together for trading. It's not trying to steal your EC or scam you out of ships, it is simply a platform to allow people to talk in real time in and out of the game to arrange trades.It also includes voice chat channels too.

If you're not interested don't join. If you want to give it a go then feel free to join and act in a civilized and polite manner to your fellow members.
    SulMatuul.png