test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Discount Packs in the C-store 30% off today only!

Comments

• jimbeamer5jimbeamer5 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    I'll have to agree with the above. All you've managed to do with your "flash sale" (which is still, right now, featured in the STO launcher) is upset two-thirds of your player base.

I've been waiting for a ship sale to put some real dollars into the game (and yes, at least one was going to be a bundle), but now, you can forget it. I've spent quite a few dollars in STO over the years, by the way.

Whatever genius in marketing thought of this should be fired. I bet you end up losing way more money because of this then you made. Good job.
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    Big fail... amerocentric deals are kind of silly when sto caters to the entire world you know

Or is the rest of the world regarded like the KDF in STO?

I hope whoever came up with this idea gets a rectal examination with a painstick.
  • minidariminidari Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    Stupid, i only today seen the news about the discount. Its my impression that cryptic wants us sleeping above the keyboard. Maybe a glowing z-store tab when there are new promotions and sale ..
  • aikurisuaikurisu Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    Dumb move, Cryptic. Dumb move. This is marketing at its worst because it's pretty clear a lot of us players are miffed that you only took one timezone into consideration and even then you didn't think that people in that very timezone aren't always logged in, too.

As for me I was literally asleep for those 8 hours but, hey, while I do log in daily into STO I'm starting to reconsider that now.

And this is coming from one of your Lifetime subscribers. Get your act together, this is bad business.
  • themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    Oh my God. The sheer amount of salt in this thread can be used to line margarita glasses from now until we really are in 2410.

Folks, it was an 8-hour sale. Literally, the internet version of a K-Mart Blue Light Special. They are fully aware that not everyone would be able to participate due to outside issues. It wasn't a critical sale for them to rack up profits, otherwise they'd have done it over a 24 hour period.

Get over yourselves.

Also, if this type of minor thing makes you say "you'll never get another dime from me" and gets you to cancel your subscription, GOOD. That kind of negativity is not welcome anyway.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I didn't miss anything. Have them all anyway.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • kylanthkylanth Member Posts: 22 Arc User

Next time you want to do a "Flash Sale", you should do it for 2 hours only on a Thursday between 7am and 9am Pacific.

Terrible.

• johnnyray14#4257 johnnyray14 Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    I don't mean to look a gift horse in the mouth, but 24 hours would have been great.
  • saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    I don't mind short sale, but it would be nice to have some warning before it...
    Oh, well.. there will be other sales in the future... i am sure B)
  • aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    The sad part is the sale is still being advertised in the launcher... That thing should really be kept current at all times methinks...
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
    There's some discussion going on about the timing of this, should we ever do one again. Stay tuned.
  • tenghiltenghil Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    Please do one again to cater to more timezones :)
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    Double post from misquote. My fault.
    Post edited by anodynes on
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
    drdrahcir wrote: »
    Bloody Unfair!! Typical US bent to arc promo´s .. never taking the rest of the world into consideration! Its obvious that NO ONE in the ARC office can tell time outside of PST Local .. you only have to look at the REPEATED time mistakes made on updates, UTC Don´t make me laugh!

What? This sale started at 1700 UTC. That's when the majority of Europe is home to take part, and not so late that they have to stay up to take part. If any area of the globe got the short end of this deal, it was Asia, Oceania and the Pacific time zone, where it happened while most were asleep or at work. Europe had the best window for this one worldwide.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    There's some discussion going on about the timing of this, should we ever do one again. Stay tuned.

Seems like the concerns were heard.

Hopefully that will be listened to & considered because all those players/customers that mentioned about the "flash" sale being while at work are legitimate.

Also, that probably hinders the overall profit.

I'm guessing it will be timed differently if/when there is another "flash" sale to benefit more.

I still like their innovation with this sale & hope they expand this type of approach.

• jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User

Obviously you can't please everyone. I missed it but taking into consideration the players of STO span the globe. A 24 hour in length flash sale and having some sort of in-game warning as well as the launcher making note of it would really be helpful. The stuff in the launcher advertising window is usually outdated so just having the ad stating there is a flash sale with nothing else for the time it is on would ensure everyone that at least launches the game sees it. An in-game warning from Admiral Quinn or some Ferengi every time you login on a character mentioning the flash sale would help for those playing when it starts or reminding them to not miss out before it ends.
  • thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    damn, and I just bought a pack a few days ago.
  • thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    why only 8 hours.. I don't get it.. at let us have 24 hours.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    How about the next flash sale you just make it a 24hour thing so you don't TRIBBLE over timezones who happen to either be asleep or at work.

And this was yet another thing that should have been on the consoles launcher news which is still claiming the privateer box to be dropping. Don't know about the xbones but the info given to ps4 players is woeful unless they go to the website or play pc version.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    Also, the blog post on NEWS really should list the calendar date if you are going to leave the post up for more than that one day.

Go to NEWS, it's still listed as happening "today." That's going to annoy people who see it and log in. (We're more used to the launcher being a week+ out of date :) )
  • kylanthkylanth Member Posts: 22 Arc User

How about you REDO this one for those of us who missed it because of your poor decision making? Make it 24 hours instead of a crappy 8.

• ofaplic#1044 ofaplic Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    spent my first month savings on a 31st century pack, love the raider ship. now I'm broke...
  • cyclope16#4152 cyclope16 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I live in France and the flash sale doesn't appear. Why?
  • killer1986chriskiller1986chris Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    No to 24 hrs, it's not a flash sale then it's a one day sale. 8 hrs is good max 12, the point of flash sales is either you get lucky or miss them. Stop all the crying, it's not like this was the last sale they will ever have. as long as they aren't always the same time it should be fine.
  • redspecter23redspecter23 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    I was actually in game during the sale time and had no clue it was going on. I took a short break and logged off and only saw it in the launcher when I logged back in. Luckily I had about an hour left to decide what I might want to buy. Had I just kept playing or stayed logged in while I ate, there would be no notice to me that a sale was actually going on in game. A launcher notification is nice and all, but something in game would also be nice. Maybe make the C store icon glow (like my mailbox does constantly) when something is on sale so I know to at least take a look.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User

Despite it saying "today" on the NEWS page and launcher it really was yesterday.

"Today's grey skies
    Tomorrow is tears
    You'll have to wait til yesterday's here"

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    This is another 'There is discussion about such-and-such'. The other being the change of Sompek to three weeks and go to Character (not Account) unlocks for the weapon. Don't they ever discuss anything BEFORE they do it?
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    They're discussing the feedback from the forums. Hard to do that before it happens. They also didn't really say they'd discuss why they decided to use Sompek in the traditional August 3 week event slot, just the feedback about people wanting the items from those changed to account unlocks in general.

My feedback is that I don't much care for flash sales, even though a lot of companies appear to have jumped on that bandwagon. Rewarding compulsive behavior and impulsive purchase decisions all at the same time is probably not good for society.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User

The sale started at 10am PST and ended at 6pm PST on August 28th. That means in France the sale would have started at 7pm on August 28th and ended at 3am on August 29th.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10624394