Options

Vinegar Pre-emptive protocol IC01

124»

Comments

• Options
    silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    goodscotch wrote: »
    tremere12 wrote: »
    ...As for the whole canon vs. non-canon thing, I'm getting sick of hearing it. I personally don't believe Star Trek is realistic in any way conceivable (especially the newer stuff, which is more like run of the mill sci-fantasy), so I don't really care anymore. This vintage nerd mentality needs to die out...

Since when does canon equal realistic? It really doesn't need to die out. It needs to stick around exactly for the reason you post: (especially the newer stuff, which is more like run of the mill sci-fantasy). We nerds agree with you on that point and it's not good. They're creating movie content for the BAM! POW! effect with little to no effort to remain within the boundaries of what's been created before it. When the song they used to disrupt the enemy ships in Into Darkness was the Beastie Boys, I thought...couldn't it have been Kingon Opera instead? But no, they catered to the masses and went with something everyone could shake their fists and and go "woof woof woof!" Quite honestly, this is annoying for anyone who really likes Trek because...it's Trek. As for STO being canon or not, it's really not. They're making stuff up as they go along...especially many of the ships they've created. It is what it is. I like the game overall and will continue to play it. It may get to a point where I don't recognize Trek in it anymore and at that point I'll have to ask myself if it's something I care to partake in.

My question to you is...why do you want to play Star Trek Online in the first place if you're indifferent to the fact that every time they come out with something...it departs from Star Trek? Pretty soon you'll be able to change the name of the game to Star Ships Online. And hey...who cares?!

Because that was the track on the Nokia when Jim boosted the Corvette as a boy :tongue: (and it was Beyond, not Into Darkness, BTW ;) )
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • Options
    goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    ...As for the whole canon vs. non-canon thing, I'm getting sick of hearing it. I personally don't believe Star Trek is realistic in any way conceivable (especially the newer stuff, which is more like run of the mill sci-fantasy), so I don't really care anymore. This vintage nerd mentality needs to die out...

Since when does canon equal realistic? It really doesn't need to die out. It needs to stick around exactly for the reason you post: (especially the newer stuff, which is more like run of the mill sci-fantasy). We nerds agree with you on that point and it's not good. They're creating movie content for the BAM! POW! effect with little to no effort to remain within the boundaries of what's been created before it. When the song they used to disrupt the enemy ships in Into Darkness was the Beastie Boys, I thought...couldn't it have been Kingon Opera instead? But no, they catered to the masses and went with something everyone could shake their fists and and go "woof woof woof!" Quite honestly, this is annoying for anyone who really likes Trek because...it's Trek. As for STO being canon or not, it's really not. They're making stuff up as they go along...especially many of the ships they've created. It is what it is. I like the game overall and will continue to play it. It may get to a point where I don't recognize Trek in it anymore and at that point I'll have to ask myself if it's something I care to partake in.

My question to you is...why do you want to play Star Trek Online in the first place if you're indifferent to the fact that every time they come out with something...it departs from Star Trek? Pretty soon you'll be able to change the name of the game to Star Ships Online. And hey...who cares?!

Because that was the track on the Nokia when Jim boosted the Corvette as a boy :tongue: (and it was Beyond, not Into Darkness, BTW ;) )

Lots of old school music and special effects to get the masses into it. And Kirk's Corvette...I mean c'mon! How could you not love it?!!! So cool! So long Star Trek!
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options

Lots of old school music and special effects to get the masses into it. And Kirk's Corvette...I mean c'mon! How could you not love it?!!! So cool! So long Star Trek!
    Admitedly, by 23rd Century, I suppose it's a bit like someon from the 21st going joy-riding in an Amish buggy while listening to the William Tell Overture :D

But, badass is badass, whatever era it applies to ;) It was a nice throwaback to the 09 movie, and at least tied to the character, rather than just any old tune :sunglasses:

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • Options
    goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User

Admitedly, by 23rd Century, I suppose it's a bit like someon from the 21st going joy-riding in an Amish buggy while listening to the William Tell Overture :D

But, badass is badass, whatever era it applies to ;) It was a nice throwaback to the 09 movie, and at least tied to the character, rather than just any old tune :sunglasses:

Admittedly...it's fun. Everyone gets a hoot and a holler out of it and the movie goer's go home happy.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Or you could travel through the Galaxy's edge and become a God yourself. Then we would not have all this moralizing in these Threads because, you know, 'Morals are for Men, not Gods'. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options

Admittedly...it's fun. Everyone gets a hoot and a holler out of it and the movie goer's go home happy.
    That's the most important thing :sunglasses:

• Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    ltminns wrote: »
    Or you could travel through the Galaxy's edge and become a God yourself. Then we would not have all this moralizing in these Threads because, you know, 'Morals are for Men, not Gods'. ;)

God was in the centre of the Galaxy, not out the edges. He was the one who needed a starship. Gary and the lass just became gods.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    tremere12tremere12 Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    JJ Abrams is canon.
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    The problem is that, while CBS has authority over the Prime Universe stuff, stuff from the 2009 Trek movie, such as the destruction of Romulus by the Hobus Supernova, belong to Paramount and Bad Robot, who haven't signed a deal with Pocket Books, the company that does most of the novels.
    CBS has COMPLETE control over the Paramount stuff because only CBS can license Star Trek merchandise. For instance, every single comic you mentioned got it's license from CBS Consumer Products. Every. Single. One. Just look inside the front/back cover if you need proof.

CBS invented the "Kelvin Timeline" moniker and Paramount just had to roll with it. Or they don't get any sweet, sweet merchandising cash.
    This means that the novelverse can't use or mention the supernova, and the subsequent destruction of Romulus, because Paramount/Bad Robot wont let them
    This is likely why it took so long to get JJ-trek ships into STO. That all went away around the time CBS declared the JJ-verse to be the "Kelvin Timeline". I bet that is not a coincidence.
    This means that when the novel verse hits the hobus supernova event(which its only like 1-2 years away from), it will efficiently dead end in a catch 22 situation unless they can get Bad Robot and Paramount to let them use it, which, as far as I am aware, they still haven't.

The novel verse is on a crash course for its own ending pretty soon.
    I have a feeling it is not going to be as big a deal as you think it is.

• Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    ltminns wrote: »

God was in the centre of the Galaxy, not out the edges. He was the one who needed a starship. Gary and the lass just became gods.​​

Crossing the barrier around the edge of the galaxy turned Mitchell and Dehner into godlike beings.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Actually, according to the paperwork filed by CBS & Paramount during the Axanar lawsuit CBS owns Trek & Paramount has a license to produce films.
    You are correct. They can make a new Star Trek movie anytime they want.

They cannot merchandise any portion of that film without going through CBS (ie CBS Consumer Products). They cannot even advertise it.

• Options
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @silverlobes#2676 said:
    > somtaawkhar wrote: »
    >
    > silverlobes#2676 wrote: »
    >
    > Semantics and marketing hype :D For them to say that These comics are absolutely 100% canon, but Those novels, games, comics etc, which have been released in the past 40 years isn't is a BS standard if ever there was one :D
    >
    >
    >
    > A. I don't think you understand what the word semantics actually means, because that doesn't qualify.
    >
    > B. Those other books, and comics, for the prime universe, were never really controlled by CBS, and constantly contradict each other. On the other hand, Paramount has had total control over the third party material for the Kelvin universe since day 1, and has effectively restricted it to only IDW, allowing them to create a singular extended universe that is consistent with itself from start to finish.
    >
    > So yeah, it makes sense that a totally different situation, for a whole other timeline, would end up differently. It's canon, for the Kelvin timeline at least, as I mentioned. Prime Universe is another matter entirely.
    >
    >
    >
    > A. Essentially: Word salad, and the pedantic nit-picking over the definitions of the words in said salad.
    > Or more formally: In linguistics, semantics is the subfield that is devoted to the study of meaning, as inherent at the levels of words, phrases, sentences, and larger units of discourse (termed texts, or narratives). The study of semantics is also closely linked to the subjects of representation, reference and denotation.
    >
    > So yes, I do understand what semantics means ;)
    >
    > "Paramount has said otherwise." Yes, because they want to make money off rubesfans, who accept whatever They say, just because They say it :D "These comics are canon..." "This series is set in the Prime Universe..." Oh, okay, if you guys same so, must be legit. Shut up and take my money! ;)
    >
    > B. What they do or don't contradict, isn't the point. What CBS had control over, also, not the point. The Trek books put out, were officially licenced, not self-published fanfic, correct?
    >
    > So saying that some of those are more official than some of the others, is a BS standard to apply.
    >
    > Not as in by you, but by Them. It's BS that they're willing to give credibility to the JJ Tie-ins (all part of JJ's deal) but not the previously published stuff. Now I'm not trying to say that the new DS9/Titan/SuperDax books are any better in terms of the material, I'm just saying that to not consider any of those official, but to consider the JJ tie-ins official, just doesn't sit well with me, and nothing more than a way of making a few extra bucks through associate sales.

You can think its bs all you want and it does not matter. The only people who get a say are the people who own & control the franchise. This is just how it works & how it will always work for every franchise that has ever or will ever exist. Does not matter if your talking Trek, Star Wars, MacGyver, Magnum P.I., Men in Black, or any other film, tv, comic, or novel franchise. The only people who ever get to decide what is "canon" or not are the owners. All we fans get to decide is "do I like this or not?" thats it.
    As pointed out above, CBS gets the final say on what is and is not canon.

IMO, granting canon-status to one series of works, but not granting it to a longer standing series of works, which kept the frwnchise alive in between series, is a BS double standard.

If you don't agree with that, fine. Don't agree with it. But why you feel the need to dismiss someone else's opinion just because you don't agree with it, that's just weak. It's a TRIBBLE opinion. Everyone has one. They don't always line up, and that's good, because the world would be a damned boring place if everyone thought and said the same thing all the time.

• Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,319 Community Moderator
    @tilarta What's going on with your OP? You edited it out. Are you wanting to close your thread?
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,799 Arc User
    @badmoonrizin
    Yes, that is correct.
    I am wanting to close this thread.

For context, Vinegar is the codeword I use when a forum topic will go beyond polite discussion.
    If I suspect a topic is heading down that path, I change the title to use that word and erase my posts.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,319 Community Moderator
    rlNBoZF.png
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.