test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Excelsior class skin update?

lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,403 Arc User
This ship is in need of an update as well... Skin is looking pretty dated.. Pls update. Excelsior class is smexy. <3 To me at least.
1e3sni150tar.jpg

Comments

• hillard1959hillard1959 Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    What's wrong with the skin? I was tooling around in my T5U Excelsior the other day and didn't notice anything off about it.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Wasn't the Excelsior already refreshed when the Resolute was released?
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • chozoelder2ndchozoelder2nd Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    Agreed. I would love to see the Excelsior get its remodel.

What's wrong with the skin? I was tooling around in my T5U Excelsior the other day and didn't notice anything off about it.

It's a bit dated compared to other ship models that have come out in recent years, both original and canon designs. Look at old shots of the Galaxy, Defiant, Sovereign, ect., and compare them to the revamps we have now. The old ones look like dinky little plastic toys compared to the new ones. I'm grateful we have so many of these updates considering that these are done in the devs' spare time.

Wasn't the Excelsior already refreshed when the Resolute was released?

Unfortunately, it wasn't. I often wonder if we'll ever get one at this point.
    SP9Pu.gif
  • hillard1959hillard1959 Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    Ah, I see. That's a fair cop. Maybe, eventually. Used to really love my Excelsior before T6 ships came along. Unfortunately, my Archon blows it out of the water.
    If they changed that Ensign station on the Resolute to a universal and refreshed the excelsior skin, that would be a huge boost for the now forgotten Excelsior class.

The Resolute's BoFF layout remains the worst of all available T6 ships. They did an awful job on that one, refreshing the skin alone isn't enough. They can make it look as beautiful as humanly possible and I still wouldn't buy the Resolute.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    I'm rather attached to the fleet advanced t5u excelsior class starship. :tongue:

i would like to see some TLC for the excelsior class ships as well.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Remove it from the game. Hell, retcon it out of the franchise completely in new special editions. Hideous abomination.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    Remove it from the game. Hell, retcon it out of the franchise completely in new special editions. Hideous abomination.

I was about to suggest that regarding the Yaeger-thing pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • terlokiterloki Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    Am I crazy for thinking that, four nacelles aside, the Concorde with a Geneva saucer looks closer to the Excelsior than the Resolute? The Excelsior was never meant to have swept pylons and a pointy saucer.

Which is a shame because I love the Excelsior, whenever I do a character that runs cruisers I pick it over the vanilla tier 3 whose name I cannot remember every time.
    Admiral Katrina Tokareva - U.S.S. Cosmos, Yorktown-class Star Cruiser
    Admiral Dananra Lekall - R.R.W. Teverresh, Deihu-class Warbird
    General J'Kar son of K'tsulan - I.K.S. Dlahath, Vo'devwl-class Carrier

All just matter of opinion. Personally, I think that the Excelsior is hands down the best looking fed ship aside from maybe the Sovereign. Everyone should be able to fly what they like.
    terloki wrote: »
    Am I crazy for thinking that, four nacelles aside, the Concorde with a Geneva saucer looks closer to the Excelsior than the Resolute? The Excelsior was never meant to have swept pylons and a pointy saucer.

Agreed, the Resolute doesn't look like the Excelsior at all. Only way to fly one is with the Excelsior skin. Too bad the ship has such a horrible BoFF layout.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    Sadly, updating the Excelsior would be time wasted since it's the absolute worst T6 ship available.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • steaensteaen Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    I'd have unquestionably bought the Resolute (albeit using the proper Excelsior skin) if the BOFF layout wasn't so awful. I tend to agree with the view that it's the worst 'upgrade' of a canon ship to T6 that we've seen so far.

Ironic really that in STO T6 terms at least, the Excelsior is outclassed by the Miranda.
    angrytarg wrote: »

I was about to suggest that regarding the Yaeger-thing pig-2.gif​​

I knew you would. Sadly I cannot help cure your particular form of insanity :(.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Neither can I help you to see the light. So sad. pig-13.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    angrytarg wrote: »

Neither can I help you to see the light. So sad. pig-13.gif​​

Oh I have seen the light. The light of one thousand quantum torpedoes heading to every single Excelsior Class around.

#TASforSTO

Oh I have seen the light. The light of one thousand quantum torpedoes heading to every single Excelsior Class around.

I can live with that. Although I like her pot belly pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    If they changed that Ensign station on the Resolute to a universal and refreshed the excelsior skin, that would be a huge boost for the now forgotten Excelsior class.

The Resolute's BoFF layout remains the worst of all available T6 ships. They did an awful job on that one, refreshing the skin alone isn't enough. They can make it look as beautiful as humanly possible and I still wouldn't buy the Resolute.

^ This. I was so disappointing by both these things. The Excelsior skin isn't as terrible as some of the other old ones that got redone, but it has a few problems and could do with a refresh. Additionally, (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) it's the only classic ship that didn't end up with a universal slot. Making that one ensign station universal would make a huge difference. I used to fly the Excelsior quite a bit (was my favorite ship) a couple years ago, but it is so underwhelming now that I tend to only fly one or two missions with it before dumping it back into drydock.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User

I quite like it.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    Give it a 23rd Century and 24th Century looks as choices like with the Mirandas
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • terlokiterloki Member Posts: 287 Arc User
      nikephorus wrote: »
      Additionally, (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) it's the only classic ship that didn't end up with a universal slot. Making that one ensign station universal would make a huge difference.

I just checked, it's actually worse than that. The only other tier 6 ship PERIOD that lacks a universal slot of any kind is the Dauntless. For some reason completely beyond me, they decided that these two ships didn't need a universal BOff station.
      Admiral Katrina Tokareva - U.S.S. Cosmos, Yorktown-class Star Cruiser
      Admiral Dananra Lekall - R.R.W. Teverresh, Deihu-class Warbird
      General J'Kar son of K'tsulan - I.K.S. Dlahath, Vo'devwl-class Carrier

I quite like it.

My condolences on your tragic loss of your sense of aesthetics. So young to have just... died... pig-14.gif.​​

#TASforSTO

• avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
      edited August 2017
      Although I don't particularly feel the need for a skin update of this ship, it would give me an excuse to use it again.
      Post edited by avoozuul on
    • ioneonioneon Member Posts: 207 Arc User
      I've always loved the excelsior. I very much support a reskin.
    • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
      The Excelsior is one of my favourite ships, but having that BOFF layout kills my ever owning it.

One change is all it needs.....
      Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
      Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
      What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
      3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
      edited August 2017
      I like the GX dreadnought's setup more than the Excelsior's setup, but I prefer the Excelsior's design more.
    • drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
      sunfrancks wrote: »
      The Excelsior is one of my favourite ships, but having that BOFF layout kills my ever owning it.

One change is all it needs.....

It was an amazingly dumb thing to do. I quit the game over it for a few months and only came back because of the T6 Connie and the other TOS ships.

I quite like it.

My condolences on your tragic loss of your sense of aesthetics. So young to have just... died... pig-14.gif.​​

I am happy I disappointed you. :)
      1Wwnp1a.jpg

And, just to annoy you. :D
      5Z2gjGU.jpg
      dvZq2Aj.jpg
      Odd, I had a good use of the fleet t6 excelsior before.
      dvZq2Aj.jpg
    • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
      Im pretty sure that if Thomas could have some free time, he would redo that skin, so, I'll wait and see
      The forces of darkness are upon us!