test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do you create biographies for your crew?

telekill2012telekill2012 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
edited August 2017 in Ten Forward
Hello all,

I'm in the process of creating biographies for my crew (both captain and bridge officers). I noticed back in 2009 that it allowed it and had written bios for my PC crew but hadn't gotten around to it on the PS4 until this week. Luckily, the PS4 allows for a USB keyboard to be connected for typing so this made it quite a bit easier than it otherwise would have been.

That brought me to thinking of my past experiences online with others within STO. Both on PC and on PS4, I'll generally click on someone's name and inspect their captain. Most of the time, in fact, every time thus far, I've not seen anyone that has added a bio onto their captains; let alone their bridge officers. So I have to ask... where do you stand on adding biographies to your characters? Do you bother at all? Do you do just the captain? If you don't, why is that?

Do you create biographies for your crew? 39 votes

Yes, both captain and bridge officers.
53%
irm1963garaks31mirrorchaosbaddmoonrizinmjarbarmthomps016valoreahaten66markhawkmancaptan2er0theraven2378starswordcdestroyer831642admiralnatnorthstar121403davidbrunell88xungnguyenthemadprofessor#9835telekill2012silverlobes#2676 21 votes
Yes, but only the captain.
23%
antonine3258odinforever20000thunderfoot#5163hfmuddshevetlocutusofcactusdarthmeow504snowwolf#0563gideonfluff#7508 9 votes
Not yet, but I plan to.
12%
nefarius2orangeitishawku001xterlokigothgeekgrl 5 votes
No
10%
where2r1tunebreakerlordrezeonyur6as89 4 votes

Comments

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,209 Community Moderator
    Right now, my biographies consist of personnel files: name, rank, serial number, current assignment, date and place of birth, etc; for my captains and their crews. I even have my FED main's service record of duty assignments mapped out since I've head canoned that his career began well before 2409. I'm also working out a story where all of my Alt captains are somehow connected through some series of events.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • captan2er0captan2er0 Member Posts: 835 Arc User
    I used to when I wasn't busy with university and work. Some of my original bridge officers I expanded into my alt characters to flesh out more of their persona post-service with my main and vice versa.
    Signature%20Base%203%20copy.png?psid=1
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    after sisko bungee jumped into the fire caves. decided to work for .S.31 .. ehm .. starfleet academy. as a gardener ,you know because has experience as gardener ...
  • walligigwalligig Member Posts: 308 Arc User
    I don't really know what option to choose because my answer is.... sometimes. I did it for my main federation character, but I haven't done it for any of my other characters. I generally have a brief history for most of my characters jotted in my head though. I just never get around to putting it in the biography section. As for bridge officers I never really saw a point to putting a bio because outside of Nimbus, Kobali, and Dyson ground nobody is ever going to read it.
    sstosig2.png
  • lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    No
    When I first started playing I did it on my first captain and boffs. After awhile I started to feel it was self-indulgent as the whole bio thing is kind of tucked away in the menu system and didn't really contribute anything to the general gameplay.

I did however keep a loose head-canon going for my main characters.
  • mjarbarmjarbar Member Posts: 2,084 Arc User
    I'm also working out a story where all of my Alt captains are somehow connected through some series of events.

I have done the exact same thing, either ther are brothers and sisters, long term enemies and aquantencies via shared missions etc.
    hZbIdbh.jpg
    THANK YOU FOUNDRY - YOUR CONTENT GAVE ME MANY HAPPY HOURS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,982 Arc User
    Yes, my crew is Mirror internal Security/ mirror Section 31
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
      edited August 2017

Did it on my main. My Captain and all of her BOFFs have a biography.
    • shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
      All my captains have bios. I haven't done them for boffs, though - well, with one exception: Ronnie Grau's long-suffering first officer Tallasa. (With what she puts up with, she deserves the perk.)
      8b6YIel.png?1
    • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
      edited August 2017
      I don't actually write out bios for everyone, but a lot of them. Also, the bios tend to be really short.
      shevet wrote: »
      All my captains have bios. I haven't done them for boffs, though - well, with one exception: Ronnie Grau's long-suffering first officer Tallasa. (With what she puts up with, she deserves the perk.)
      Which one? Tallasa is such a common name. :p
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,242 Arc User
      Sort of I've not typed them out in the system but I got a idea for at least the bios for my captains, I mostly choose my boff for their traits so they don't have bios yet only exception being my main's XO that's also a seperate PC (my Andorian tac officer to be exact).
    • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
      All my captains, nearly all my boffs. I love worldbuilding and inventing characters to live in them in general.
      "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
      — Sabaton, "Great War"
      VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
      > @walligig said:
      > I don't really know what option to choose because my answer is.... sometimes. I did it for my main federation character, but I haven't done it for any of my other characters. I generally have a brief history for most of my characters jotted in my head though. I just never get around to putting it in the biography section. As for bridge officers I never really saw a point to putting a bio because outside of Nimbus, Kobali, and Dyson ground nobody is ever going to read it.

Same for me. All my captains have a rather extensive bio and a good portion of my boffs have a story as well, even across characters, but not nearly all of them. There are a lot of redshirt boffs as well :D
      lFC4bt2.gif
      ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
      "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
      "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
      "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    • jcsteelejcsteele Member Posts: 155 Arc User
      I think about writing bios sometimes; it's just I don't have the inclination, which is a shame, since in my head canon three of my Human Fed Engies are ancestors of some character from some of my favorite TV shows.(For example, Admiral Courtney Krieger's very-great grandmother was part of a certain anti-terrorist strike force.)
    • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,948 Community Moderator
      Well... I got a couple characters from other universes, such as a Zeltron or Chiss from Star Wars, a Human CMO who was an Eridani Light Horse Combat Medic from the 31st Century during Operation Serpent...

Made sure their presence was easily explained via Trek means.
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,266 Arc User
      edited August 2017
      honestly, just using multiverse theory combined with a negative space wedgie is a sufficient explanation for everyone

it's what i use to explain why the emperor of the terran dominion - and now a tal'darim protoss as well - is suddenly fighting on behalf of the klingon empire...and himself...mainly himself​​
      Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
      An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
      A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
      A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
      "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
      Passion and Serenity are one.
      I gain power by understanding both.
      In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
      I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
      The Force is united within me.
    • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,948 Community Moderator
      bio wrote:
      Kayla Reynolds was a field medic in the Eridani Light Horse, a Mercenary unit that was attached to Task Force Serpent, which attacked the Smoke Jaguar homeworld of Huntress. After the fall of Huntress, she helped to investigate a Clan Science Lab. That led to her being pulled from the universe she knew into ours. Although confronted with aliens and strange weapons, Kayla was still surrounded by something she knew all too well... war. Seeing Starfleet as this reality's Star League Defense Force, she joined up to continue to serve.

I had some fun with Kayla's bio.
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,209 Community Moderator
      I'm still writing up the bio, but I made a mercenary/privateer character of the same species as Arctus Baran.

Part of his story is that he was imprisoned on Rura Penthe and makes his escape during the prison break when our Klingon hero captain goes there to track down Franklin Drake. His crew is made up of the other named prisoners in that mission.

Later, he and his crew are hiding out on Nimbus III when our Federation hero captain raids Shangdu and kills the crew of the Snap Dragon during the fight. In the aftermath, he and his crew commandeer the Snap Dragon, which I've head canoned as one of those T6 privateer ships.
      GrWzQke.png
      Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
      Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
      Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
      ----> Contact Customer Support <----
      Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
      Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
      Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
      Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
      jcsteele wrote: »
      I think about writing bios sometimes; it's just I don't have the inclination, which is a shame, since in my head canon three of my Human Fed Engies are ancestors of some character from some of my favorite TV shows.(For example, Admiral Courtney Krieger's very-great grandmother was part of a certain anti-terrorist strike force.)
      One of my characters is named Monica Rappaccini, after the scientist supreme in Marvel comics.
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
      I put something in the bio for all the captains - is it viewable on boffs? I may need to start
      Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
    • silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
      Yes, my primary crew members all have biographies, in so much as I have an idea who they are, what they're about, etc, but at most, I may only write a few lines in the bio section (crib notes, not chapter and verse biographies) and some, don't even get that done for them.
      "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
    • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,756 Arc User
      Not yet, but I plan to.
      I started to. Mine mostly cover their Literary Challenge entries here on the forums, and any fanfic they're a part of.
    • irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
      edited August 2017
      My original (2012 vintage) captains and boffs do, haven't really kept it up other than a couple of flavour lines for my themed crews although I'll maybe take a look at it again for the permanent ones. Not that serious about it, but I came from a tabletop RPG background like a lot of you so think it's fun to work such things up when inspiration strikes.
    • hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
      edited August 2017
      Complicated answer, maybe:

All of my characters (and their officers) have stories, but usually only the captains get some part entered in the in-game text box. In my experience, hardly anyone (including myself, most times) bothers to look at those; and unless you're on one of the planets that allows you one or two boffs, no one's going to see them anyway.

So I reserve it for those people pre/self-selected to be interested in such things: other members of my various RP fleets, on whose websites/forums I post dossiers for captains and ships.
    • terlokiterloki Member Posts: 287 Arc User
      Not yet, but I plan to.
      Well, I only have something written in the bio for my Fed and KDF mains, and that probably needs to be redone at some point. As for whether I do this for my Captains and Boffs or Captains only... Sorta both? This is mainly by virtue of how I made up my characters, because I am an alt-o-holic and wanted to have at least one tac, one engineer, one science officer, and one Delta recruit for each faction. So, since I started playing before the tutorial revamp when everyone started getting the same Boffs, my first alts were from my mains' bridge crews, just promoted to their own command. So I have backstories and info somewhat thought up for most of my main Boffs and those who are also captains, but not anywhere near all of them. Also, my mains are all officers who served in the Dominion War, and my Delta Recruits their children and the characters that I consider to actually be going through the story.
      Admiral Katrina Tokareva - U.S.S. Cosmos, Yorktown-class Star Cruiser
      Admiral Dananra Lekall - R.R.W. Teverresh, Deihu-class Warbird
      General J'Kar son of K'tsulan - I.K.S. Dlahath, Vo'devwl-class Carrier
    • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
      I have a rough headcanon of my main PC and her officers. I don't have them written down but i know how their stories go:

K'Mec is the daughter of Kotos. Kotos is the leader of House Kotos, a minor family based in the first city itself, Kotos is often a challenger in the council but is largely ignored due to lack of size and strength of his house. K'Mec was born in that house and lived there for 12 years, but decided to help others instead, her father found out 2 years later and she was banished from her house for using house resources to smuggle enemies of the empire off world (in reality innocent people caught in the switches of Klingon laws).

She drifted a few years on starships before ending up on Earth, Australia. From there she attended schools, mostly college and then joined Starfleet Academy before her 20th year. K'Mec has an incredible empathy for others, reguarly taking time out to help those less fortunate, this has given K'Mec a very strong diplomatic ability. After a few years her efforts have yielded a very important position in the Federation and reunited Kotos with his daughter after the Undine were pushed back, K'Mec is once again of House Kotos. There is no reported romantic entanglements.

Nirnas Nenman is the executive officer and K'Mec's best friend, Nirnas is in the middle of his life, he was a proud warrior in the empire until a Klingon general stained Nirnas' reputation for good by calling him a traitor as others started beliving it, Nirnas was hunted for years, but his luck was about to run out when K'Mec on a mission of her own found Nirnas on this volcanic world, with her help Nirnas made it off world. However not long after Nirnas found this general and challenged him to combat to restore his name and killed this general, however the troops under his command continued to propagate the lie and Nirnas left the empire for good.

Nirnas climbed the ranks of Starfleet in short time due to his record in the Empire and K'Mec's political weight to fast track him through the academy. Nirnas leaves behind his family on Nausicaa, however his children are old enough to take care of themselves anyway, Nirnas also leaves behind a brother, Servius.

Craig Mose Madlock, known by his nickname onboard ship as Madlocker. Craig is the all too serious Chief Engineer on the Fearless, in fact despite the 11 year difference between K'Mec and Craig, they both graduated from the same class together and both served on the same ships together, the big difference being is that K'Mec studied harder and made it through the ranks more easier than Craig did. To Craig however he doesn't want to be anywhere else but on the Fearless with his engine.

His most loyal Assistant chief engineer D'Koth was also another member of the crew who graduated with K'Mec and Craig, however his path went in a different direction but Craig used his clout to get D'Koth assigned to the Fearless. Craig runs a strict operation in engineering and has next to no patience for TRIBBLE ups, none-the-less his engineering staff are very loyal to him and he returns it everytime by helping them. Craig has no family or reported romantic entanglements.

D'Koth is the son of B'Ragh. B'Ragh is of the of House Duras, by all accounts B'Ragh is largely anonymous in the empire because he has served as a house guard his whole life, B'Ragh once served with Duras and his sisters. The only time B'Ragh was noticed was when he was on the USS Enterprise-D during Duras' claim to lead the empire, he pretended to be drunk so Duras could murder K'Ehleyr. D'Koth on the other hand has proven to be equally questionable regarding his honor, however this question was since answered by enlisting in Starfleet in his early 20's and helping to make sure the Empire was saved from the Undine a few years later.

D'Koth has made it further in his career more than his father has ever managed in his life. D'Koth is in a relationship with Sirra, formerly of the House Torg and now of House Martok, they have two young children both of them are being raised by their mother in the Ketha Lowlands, D'Koth also leaves behind House Duras as well.

i could write out so much more :tongue: but i have storylines for other PC's and their BoFFs.
      T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
      Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    • xungnguyenxungnguyen Member Posts: 233 Arc User
      Name: Sapphire "Sapph" Ketchum
      Species: Human/Lapras hybrid
      Affiliation: Pride Landers/Pokemon Council/Starfleet
      Ship: PLV Temporal Lapras (Paradox class dreadnought)
      Character history: She was born in Opelucid City in the Pokemon world on August 13, 2372 . One day, she was walking down a coastal road and saw something terrible. A trio of Team Plasma grunts were stabbing a Lapras for fun and when they were done, she was traumatised for the rest of her life. A month later, a Lapras found her unconscious on a raft and adopted her. When she was walking down Route 21, an inter-dimensional portal opened and transported Sapphire and Lapry to Starfleet Academy. It was revealed that it was an accident.
      Career History:After emerging from the portal, she and Lapry ended up on a different version of Earth at Starfleet Academy. An instructor found them and offered to give them preparation courses in order to attend the Academy. After a year of preparing, they passed the test and got in. Sapphire and her mother excelled in the medical and science courses. They struggled in the tactical courses since those were very difficult for them. Sapphire and Lapry also had some difficulty with the engineering courses. Fortunately, the instructors were able to help them pass their most difficult courses and the final. They graduated with the class of 2410 and went to serve aboard the USS Cat's Pride under Captain Taggart. When the Borg attacked Vega Colony, they lost several of their friends stationed on the ship. Sapphire began to suffer depression and isolated herself from the crew. She began to seek help after Lapry convinced her to do so since it was draining her energy. After seeking help from an advisor, she was allowed to resume her post. After taking command of the ship after Taggart's death, she renamed it the USS Lost Lapras. She then rose up the ranks to captain and got command of a Luna class science vessel also named the USS Lost Lapras.

During the events of Operation Midnight, she sustained an injury to her heart and had to be transported to ESD for medical treatment. The doctors had to replace her heart with a Lapras's heart. After the transplantation, the Lapras blood merged with her human blood giving her the abilities to link with the Lapras species telepathically and control ice. Her empathic abilities were enhanced so she could project illusions of her ship in space and heal people around her. She is now a human/Lapras hybrid.

Sapph and her family were caught in the Avalarian War of 2410 (TLoS:DoTD) after a battle with the Tholians in the Azure Nebula. They were captured by an elderly dragon named Ignitus in the war's climax. He became Sapph's adoptive father out of pity for her. They were instrumental in Malefor's defeat in the war.

Sapphire married Jerome C. Chew (werewolf) in May 2410. 9 weeks later, she gave birth to a Lapras/human hybrid (2/3 Lapras 1/3 human) named Amy Ketchum-Chew. Sapph is now a mother and admiral. She is taking care of Amy and her grandmother is taking over as the CO of the Amethyst and the Temporal Lapras.

Sapph and her family are currently under Simba and Nala's command during Operation: Kingdom Hearts. They are stopping Organization XIII from corrupting the worlds in that dimension. Their ships have the Roar of the Elders upgrade installed thanks to their royal bloodline (Their homeworld has royalty as ship commanders and govt officials.).
      temporal_lapras__royal_flagship__by_lapry101-dbutq96.png

"Simba, you have forgotten me. You have forgotten who you are … you are my son and the one true king." (Mufasa)
    • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
      Do I write biographies for my captain and crew? I write fanfics.
    • locutusofcactuslocutusofcactus Member Posts: 651 Arc User
      I write short bios for my captains. My boffs are customly tailorized but have no bios.
    • silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
      Yes, my primary crew members all have biographies, in so much as I have an idea who they are, what they're about, etc, but at most, I may only write a few lines in the bio section (crib notes, not chapter and verse biographies) and some, don't even get that done for them.
      As defeating Herron triggered a level up with an additional character slot:

ZpOe0n3.jpg
      "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth