test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What kind of space (shield) visuals would you like?

Whether from reputation, or whatever. The latest was Competitive shields, which I use quite a bit, on ships that don't end up completely covered in nothing but blue dots. We currently have 16, counting Aegis but not the mission reward Reman (same thing as the Rep. Reman shields). A whole lot of those are blue or green themed.

What sort of visuals would you like to see from a set, in the future?

I always appreciate sets that change nacelle colors without complete obliterating the hull, but leave a little bit of the player-defined color patterns underneath. I'd like to see some red plasma combs (no, I don't care about visual faction recognition; gimme). Or, something like the Counter-Command shields, but with a color other than green being the accent.

There are quite a few sets I like, but are either ruined for me by leaving no trace of ship patterns, or forcing a deflector or impulse color that doesn't match anything, or saturating the hull with too many dots or lines (looking at you, Terran shields.)

What'chu want?

Comments

• chozoelder2ndchozoelder2nd Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    I very much want a shield visual that replicates the Andorian Kumari material.

Star+Trek+Online+Charal+class.jpg

I just want the hull material to be available on any other ship.

In terms of what I don't want to see more of, anything that resembles the Iconian shields. I'm not quite sure how to articulate it, but I just hate the weird circle patterns and half circles that look like blotches of paint that someone tossed at my ship.
    SP9Pu.gif
  • bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    I want a visual which makes my ship chrome.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • gannadenegannadene Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    bloodyriz wrote: »

M.A.C.O. basically does that.
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,635 Arc User
    My list of shield and other gear visuals I would be interested in grabbing (preferably from the GPL store thanks to the flood of GPL from Ferengi Admiralty):
    A completely mirror finish. For a while after Lighting 2.0 I could get this effect on my Tal Shair Adapted Battlecruiser, and it looked like a bunch on knives welded together, which was quite imposing.

AEGIS styled lines in different colors, including red and blue to have lines that are cross-faction to you (I.E. red Tron lines on a Fed ship, blue on KDF)

Fairly solid colors that wipe away the base skin almost completely. Lots of color choices and darker shades too.

Shields to make non-faction ships look more faction-like. Like Romulan Shield visuals in making ships look a bit Romulan by adding green, but taken even further in having full coverage.

Deflector energy-looking animated projections often time look neat, more of these please.

bloodyriz wrote: »
    gannadene wrote: »

M.A.C.O. basically does that.

MACO just makes things slightly shiny, and adds hexagons that sometimes don't look good on certain ships. Also, not available to KDF (which gets the KHG/AKHG shields which makes things shades of brown).
    gannadene wrote: »
    I always appreciate sets that change nacelle colors without complete obliterating the hull, but leave a little bit of the player-defined color patterns underneath.

Yeah, just changing Nacelle color with nothing else could be neat too.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    something that turns the vorgon carrier yellow with blue highlights while also removing the tiger stripe pattern from it (some shields don't remove it)​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    I'd like a 'piano black' shield, please. :) Which means not just black, but shiny black.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    A want a shield visual based on the Atrox carriers material.
  • themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    A shield visual that interacts with existing paint patterns and makes them visually more exciting, perhaps by a slight embossing on the hull where the pattern sits, or a glow in the shape and (approximate) color of the pattern.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    Hotblack Desiato. That is all.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    A shield visual that interacts with existing paint patterns and makes them visually more exciting, perhaps by a slight embossing on the hull where the pattern sits, or a glow in the shape and (approximate) color of the pattern.

Some of the Shield visuals are pretty bad, when you examine them closely. The Dyson Shield, for instance, whilst pretty, is clipping all over the place on most of my ships. That's because most Shields are overlays, as it were. Except for the Lukari Shield, which, near as I can tell, primarily just messes with the specular lighting of your hull, thus giving it that shiny glow/glitter, sans your hull protruding thru it somehow. We need more of those.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    Nukara shields are awesome on a ship
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    avoozuul wrote: »
    A want a shield visual based on the Atrox carriers material.

That's a cool idea.. I could see myself using that if made available.

How about a few more dark/Flat Black/Gun Metal type skins ?

Only skin I can think of that's true black is from the Aeon Shuttle for use on the Wells/Mobius and Paradox.

I really like that one.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    Since colonelmarik mentioned the TOS look
    Shiny black with Shiny gold highlights

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    Currently using the KHG shields. Gives the ship a dark...almost dull black visual.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    goodscotch wrote: »
    Currently using the KHG shields. Gives the ship a dark...almost dull black visual.

That sounds very nice, I have 6 KDF officers but they're only level 35-40 atm.

Would be really nice if one could buy and use both version regardless of faction.....
    Provided they both give the same stats of course.

[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    > @meimeitoo said:
    > themadprofessor#9835 wrote:
    > Some of the Shield visuals are pretty bad, when you examine them closely. The Dyson Shield, for instance, whilst pretty, is clipping all over the place on most of my ships.

I reported this as it applies to cloaking and gave plenty of screenshots quite a while ago.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    I'm still hoping cryptic finally utillises the vanity system, namely once you buy a rep vanity item (for example dyson shield),all other toons on that account get access to a dill purchasable vanity item with no stats specifically for a vanity slot

I'd love to get dyson shield skin on my ships but 32k dil plus ec/tokens is too much for a shield I'd never use but for looks

Add to that it'd be a nice grind reward option, for example having a crystalline looking shield skin from the cca event, or crystal shards being spat out of your impulse trails, or the old mirror ship skin (from the lockbox booby prize ships) for mirror grind...better than most ground guns, at least.
  • centurian821centurian821 Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    Gold hull with teal nacelles and highlights (like Lukari and Aegis).
  • themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    Not so much a new shield visual, but an update to an existing one

The Aegis shield.

Feds get a nice blue glow.

KDF gets a lovely pulsing red.

Romulans need a green glow for their ships.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    Dark Grey/Black with purple highlights and sheen, a la Lukari's blue sheen
    Atrox material shields
    Purple.

At the very least, can we stop getting brown and partially-visual shields? I like shields to cover the whole ship, and don't want another brown as dirt reputation shield.