test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why so many people doing sompek timed wrong?

Always seems to be 1 or 2 that refuse to stop after level. K we get it, you have 0 friends and want some company but cmon 5x a night?

Comments

• ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    Not everyone plays this game with the attitude of "maximum reward/minimal effort".
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • runfromchronrunfromchron Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    Not everyone plays this game with the attitude of "maximum reward/minimal effort".

Then they doing the wrong mode. there is a version without a timer and they can have their fun there. They are being selfish.
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    It's 20 minutes, just play through to the end. The higher rounds you get in those 20 minutes means higher rewards, it's not profitable just stopping at wave 5.
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,403 Arc User
      20 minutes is way to long. It needs to be like 10min max. Im only doing it for the daily reward. If you want to go as long as you can, then play the untimed one. Otherwise go to min round and die so we can get the reward.
      1e3sni150tar.jpg
    • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
      Oh my god me, this isn't a thread, is it? Kind of some "candid camera, april fool's" kind of thing, is it?

It's annoying enough to start with to have players only care for the rewards, not the gameplay. But this is a bit hypocritical of me, I've been there myself. But complaining about people actually playing the game? Dear Prudence, won't you come out to play...
      My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
    • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
      Then have a suicide penalty put in
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
        -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
        Always seems to be 1 or 2 that refuse to stop after level. K we get it, you have 0 friends and want some company but cmon 5x a night?

If I want to do a fast run, I politely ask at the start of the mission. Majority rules though.

If you want a guaranteed fast run, then I suggest you get some like minded players together to form a "suicide squad" to play the mission.

I was in a mission about 1 hour ago where one player wanted to end the mission at round 5. However, the rest of us were having fun. The player decided to quit the mission at about the 11 minute mark.

• discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
        See to me, because it's a timed mission, if you choose it you are committing yourself to play for that amount of time. If you want a quick 5 minute mission, pick one with no time limit and thus no implied time.

Of just don't do it at all? I did it twice myself, didn't find it fun (ground combat in this game is pretty meh IMHO) and haven't since. With the new Ferengi campaign, you don't need the dil award from events anymore, really.
      • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
        Then have a suicide penalty put in

This installs an unfair penalty for those that aren't good at ground combat or under geared. There is no way for the system to fairly discern when someone has committed suicide or just died.

This is a kind of tough issue, because while it seems like common sense that those going the distance should stick to untimed only, it's hardly fair to call people out for simply playing the content the way it was designed. If people want to play the full 20 minutes, that's up to them.. the only behavior I would say is just 'wrong' is suiciding in untimed.. that's just stupid.

Overall, I get that you're frustrated, but you can't blame people for playing content the way it was intended or designed. If you're looking for 5 only missions, I suggest trying the DPS Bronze channel if you have access or perhaps seeing if people in your fleet are interested in doing pre-made group runs.
        Insert witty signature line here.
      • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
        My best friend in game who I know for 5 years told me yesterday that doing Sompek multiple times a day with different toons the honest way begins to suck.

I told her to just + up in DPS 10.000 going for Sompek 5 or Somepek SS and be done with it. She asked me if the Devs knew that hundreds of players participate in the event in such a fashion each day. I told her the Devs don’t care and neither do I.

She then replied: “But I don’t want to play STO that way!”. After that I did not know what to say. :/

Turning Sompek into a 14 day grinder for toon based rewards is really the worst idea Cryptic came up with since the UI revamp.
        The Dev who had the idea should ask himself if he has even his company’s best interest at heart.

Events like this may get peeps to log for 14 days to do such sick stuff one way or the other. But the moment its over they are just glad they are done and can leave again.

animated.gif
        Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
        felisean wrote: »
        teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
        edited August 2017
        Turning Sompek into a 14 day grinder for toon based rewards is really the worst idea Cryptic came up with since the UI revamp.
        The Dev who had the idea should ask himself if he has even his company’s best interest at heart.

Agreed 100%

Every once in a while Cryptic just does something so incredibly stupid that you have to wonder if anyone over there has any common sense at all. This, and the Queue UI are 2 examples of this very thing.

This event is absolutely horrible. I ran it one time, on one character and said TRIBBLE this.. no way I'm running this TRIBBLE 6 times a day, even for 5 rounds per character.

Cryptic cannot decide if they want to be alt-friendly, or opposing to those with Alts. They seem to flip flop on a monthly basis and it's annoying as hell.
        edited August 2017

Agreed 100%

Every once in a while Cryptic just does something so incredibly stupid that you have to wonder if anyone over there has any common sense at all. This, and the Queue UI are 2 examples of this very thing.

This event is absolutely horrible. I ran it one time, on one character and said **** this.. no way I'm running this **** 6 times a day, even for 5 rounds per character.

Cryptic cannot decide if they want to be alt-friendly, or opposing to those with Alts. They seem to flip flop on a monthly basis and it's annoying as hell.

Yea, this event is really hurting. All it accomplishes is polarizing fleets, channels and the player base as such. :/

And all of that for a fistful of dil and marks we can get in pve each day anyway.
        animated.gif
      • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User

Agreed 100%

This event is absolutely horrible. I ran it one time, on one character and said **** this.. no way I'm running this **** 6 times a day, even for 5 rounds per character.

Yea, this event is really hurting. All it accomplishes is polarizing fleets, channels and the player base as such. :/

And all of that for a fistful of dil and marks we can get in pve each day anyway.

see what the next sompek brings, hopefully the rewards will be account based and there is no escape until after 10 minutes, from there the team can request the holoprogram be terminated and rewards given rather then just dropping out and getting a penalty for it.

i could see the opportunity for sompek to be used as a special event for the rep tab, that can be completed before 14 days and offer rewards like 50k dilithium, 2 spec points and 500 marks from which ever one you choose and you need 10 sompek points in order to complete the reputation and get rewarded.
        T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
        Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.

This is the only part of it that I actually liked..

The incredibly lackluster rewards made it an easy decision for me to completely skip this event. :)

Agreed 100%

see what the next sompek brings, hopefully the rewards will be account based and there is no escape until after 10 minutes, from there the team can request the holoprogram be terminated and rewards given rather then just dropping out and getting a penalty for it.

i could see the opportunity for sompek to be used as a special event for the rep tab, that can be completed before 14 days and offer rewards like 50k dilithium, 2 spec points and 500 marks from which ever one you choose and you need 10 sompek points in order to complete the reputation and get rewarded.

Yea pretty much, I really though with the new weekend events granting access to account wide rewards we would be on the right track.
        animated.gif

This is the only part of it that I actually liked..

The incredibly lackluster rewards made it an easy decision for me to completely skip this event. :)

That’s the smartest course of action to be sure. I’m glad that I didn’t started it on more than 2/10 toons but the way this one is going 2 toons are already 2 too many.
        animated.gif
      • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User

Agreed 100%

Well Dev side its probably a great thing for shareholders and metrics to run these longer type event. They keep players logged in longer and using multiple toons.

Playerside, it does kinda suck. Can feel like a part time job sometimes. :disappointed:

Its important that they strike the right balance though, or the repetitive and grueling nature of these endurance events will lead some alt friendly players getting fed up and leaving the game completely. Or at the very least annoy them so much they'll just choose not to run these events at all, or only run the event in question on their main(s).
        Which is not good for business.
        [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
      • grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
        I learned early on in this game to stick with one character only. The arena of sompek i think is a great event. Occasionally you get in a good group, but mostly a crappy group. Should the devs have thought this through better, yes they should have. Its like the old saying, its like putting lip stick on a pig. Its still a pig. I hope the devs see threads like this and take to heart that the players aren't going to take it.
        Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
      • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
        I have to admit, OP, that I find it annoying too when I join a limited Sompek PUG only to find that the rest of the team for some strange reason wants to try to get as far as possible in the limited version of the map.

At the same time, you can't blame people for wanting to actually play a mission if they sign up for it. You'll just have to deal with it.
      • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
        Almost exclusively I have been doing timed runs and in all but two cases made it to the end. Rounds 25 or so to 28. Last night was the first time anyone ever asked about a 6 Round run. There were two already OK, I said OK. Fortunately, 6 was a Tzen'kethi round and we got beat down. I finished that off and Transwarped to the Allied Sphere Space and did the Undine Space Battlezone for the Endeavor.
        'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
        Judge Dan Haywood
        'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
        l don't know.
        l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
        That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
        Lt. Philip J. Minns
      • qqqqiiqqqqii Member Posts: 473 Arc User
        Seems to me some people are too lazy to go for the better rewards at the higher levels, but I get that they might not have any sense of motivation to complete a timed task.
      • djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
        edited August 2017
        I'm only running Sompek on two alts, I always choose timed, and I have scheduled game time every morning. I have more than enough time to play two rounds at the full 20 minutes. Sure, if other team members want to go "five and die" I usually don't mind, because I've got plenty of other stuff to do in game with the time I save.
        But if I happen to get on a strong team (not necessarily saying I am strong) and we're having fun, I don't start complaining or going AFK. The other morning we played until the end of the 20 minutes and got to round 31 or so. It was genuinely fun and very satisfying that we were all standing when it ended.
        risian4 wrote: »
        At the same time, you can't blame people for wanting to actually play a mission if they sign up for it. You'll just have to deal with it.

^This. Here's the thing...technically, leaving after 5 rounds makes someone a quitter. I get why, and that's your right...but still. Some people enjoy playing the game for the game's sake.
        I will repeat what some others have said...if you want to be sure it's a quick 5 rounder, you need to organize a pre-made. If other people want to play the mission as designed, there is nothing wrong with that.
        C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
        -Captain James T. Kirk
      • qqqqiiqqqqii Member Posts: 473 Arc User

Then they doing the wrong mode. there is a version without a timer and they can have their fun there. They are being selfish.
        The version with the timer is for people who don't want to spend more than 20 minutes per character doing it. If you want a "speed run", you should be forming groups for them prior to queuing for it. Stop being selfish.
      • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
        My best friend in game who I know for 5 years told me yesterday that doing Sompek multiple times a day with different toons the honest way begins to suck.

I told her to just + up in DPS 10.000 going for Sompek 5 or Somepek SS and be done with it. She asked me if the Devs knew that hundreds of players participate in the event in such a fashion each day. I told her the Devs don’t care and neither do I.

She then replied: “But I don’t want to play STO that way!”. After that I did not know what to say. :/
        The correct thing to say is, "quit complaining and just do what you want."

You can do it the fast way, the slow way or not at all. On one toon or many. Everyone's personal choice.

Events like this may get peeps to log for 14 days to do such sick stuff one way or the other. But the moment its over they are just glad they are done and can leave again.
        People can leave anytime they want. Nobody's holding a gun to their heads.

This is the best event format in STO. Only thing wrong with it is no reruns ever. With reruns they could have events running all year round.

Why should the devs design events for people who just want to leave instead of the ones who actually want to play the game?
        edited August 2017
        warpangel wrote: »

This is the best event format in STO. Only thing wrong with it is no reruns ever. With reruns they could have events running all year round.

:D

Yea that is the impression I get as well around here and in game each time we have one of those. Lots of happy players.
        animated.gif

After the Summer Event ended I decided to take a bit of a break from STO; logging in only 2 or maybe 3 times per week. Because I had fun the 1st time Arena of Sompek came around I decided to log back in a bit more often. I don't use pulsewaves so the Sompek Pulsewave does not interest me. For now I am merely collecting the Sompek vouchers for later use. Even if I end up collecting all 14 vouchers I doubt I would bother to claim the pulsewave.

Well Dev side its probably a great thing for shareholders and metrics to run these longer type event. They keep players logged in longer and using multiple toons.

PWE does not have any shareholders.

Michael Yufeng Chi, founder of PWE and chairman of the board of director, purchased all PWE outstanding shares back in 2015. I believe it became a privately held company towards the end of July 2015.
      • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
        jaguarskx wrote: »

PWE does not have any shareholders.

Michael Yufeng Chi, founder of PWE and chairman of the board of director, purchased all PWE outstanding shares back in 2015. I believe it became a privately held company towards the end of July 2015.

*Rubs beard*
        Hmmm that's quite interesting Jag. Was not aware.

[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
      • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
        hopefully the rewards will be account based and there is no escape until after 10 minutes, from there the team can request the holoprogram be terminated and rewards given rather then just dropping out and getting a penalty for it.

We have one event of the "play 14 days in 21" variety with a 10 minute timer already. Suffice to say that it creates threads on this very forum about how to play it.

Personally, just because of these different approaches on how to play the game during these events, I quit doing my rota on most of them. While I am pretty certain I am mostly playing the events the way they're meant to be, so are others, and it leads to disagreements. Fortunately 30k dil and marks are replaceable and not needed that much, and then I will have to find a build without that one console or warp core or kit - or wait for Phoenix magic in 2019.
        My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
      • mattaukettmattaukett Member Posts: 190 Arc User
        Personally I've taken to only doing the event on one toon (I've all event grinded out), so I'm not fussed about speed running and just want to kill stuff and have some fun with my main.

I've also come to the view that it's a great opportunity to troll those that go into pug's and expect everyone to die after 5 rounds rather than just accepting that they get what they get as is the way of pugs for better or for worse.