test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] The Arena of Sompek Returns for Three Weeks!

Comments

• anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    There's no problem for any profession that I've seen. Engineer Fabrications and mines do not halt progress this time around. An NPC teleporting into, or getting knocked back into, a wall can put a pause on progress, but should clear up if everybody goes to a place on the map where the NPC can't attack them. If it's still able to attack you, it will stay there and do just that.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • paddy#3322 paddy Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    The only issue I've seen so far has to do with players complaining that the team doesn't give up when one player wants them to. I've had two teams get to level 46 and then 48 and they were good runs. Everybody trying and having fun. Just completed a run where one player died right away and refused to respawn. He instead chose to call the rest of the team various profane names for not quitting at level 5. What he clearly didn't realize was that this encouraged the rest of us to try harder. So I'd like to thank that one lazy and egotistical player for helping the team keep fighting with his inspiring and heart felt words of encouragement.
    Also, it's a game and if you don't want to play it then don't.
    RIP (2022) : Officer Wilbert Mota, Corporal Charles Galloway, Detective Jason Rivera, Officer Fernando
    Arroyos, Officer John Painter, K9 Jedi, K9 Maya, Deputy Constable Neil Adams, Officer Jorge
    David Alvarado, Sergeant Joshua Cordell, Trooper Martin Mack, Trooper Branden Sisca,
    Lieutenant William Lebo
  • grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    Made it to level 32. It was a good run
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I think I have a very different perception of what Elite Materials are compared to what they think they are. It currently generates o only one VR Mat, no Salvaged Technology, and unlike the Normal Materials, does not spawn a Bonus Box this weekend. :(
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • locutusofcactuslocutusofcactus Member Posts: 651 Arc User
    The Arena is coming back to PC, tougher than ever before. And this time, you can play for three weeks.

Full details here:
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10609334

This time we can play for three weeks!?!?... *panics a little* ...Oh not the same game the whole time.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    Thank you for turning what used to be a fun event with active players into your ordinary AFK fest. Getting far in a PUG? Impossible now. Players will just die and never respawn again.
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    szim wrote: »
    Thank you for turning what used to be a fun event with active players into your ordinary AFK fest. Getting far in a PUG? Impossible now. Players will just die and never respawn again.

There's no "Fun" in STO only Struggle To Obtain.

These Events should have the item as an account lock.

No way I could possibly unlock this on all characters on my account, 24 of them.

The Dil and Mark reward sure i and no one else has any issues with that being per character. but come on open up the item prize to the account.

I've even happily pay a small dil tax per character to obtain it.
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • paddy#3322 paddy Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    It's a shame it's not an account unlock like last time. I ran it on all my alts at least once during the first event to see what each of them could do. But if I had to run it for fourteen days there's no chance I'd be able to do that. Also, changing the duration of the event has also changed the dynamic of many of the players motivations as well. Not only are people complaining in the untimed queue while encouraging everyone to quit early, now they're also just going afk. My final match consisted of two players just going afk and not moving. They died, we rezzed them, they continued their statue impressions.

The Arena is a fun mission the way it was introduced the first time around. Cryptic's changes and the players responses are both disappointing during this second event however.
    RIP (2022) : Officer Wilbert Mota, Corporal Charles Galloway, Detective Jason Rivera, Officer Fernando
    Arroyos, Officer John Painter, K9 Jedi, K9 Maya, Deputy Constable Neil Adams, Officer Jorge
    David Alvarado, Sergeant Joshua Cordell, Trooper Martin Mack, Trooper Branden Sisca,
    Lieutenant William Lebo
  • aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    Let me come back to say this: We hear you. The discussions are happening. I had a few of them myself this morning.

Probably not for this event, but they are happening.
    Cool... Thanks... I spent 6 hours today doing the grind...
    I was having fun as I'm not used to enjoying ground action in the game. With that said, I doubt I'll continue such a grind for all my toons...
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    Jesus Christ. You know what? I didn't realize just how awful this event could possibly be. Seriously, the massive alt grind is one thing, but the sheer number of idlers in the game is actually astounding.

You know what I love? I love doing an event PvE 20 times in a day, 3 on one character, JUST TO GET THE MARKS. Idlers were the reason I need to run Sompek again for a total 2 competitive marks. Even in the timed queue, there are people doing absolutely nothing through the whole mission. This is stupid.

Of course, I wouldn't have to run it this many times if the Pulsewave was account unlock. Or, you know...
    IF COMPETITIVE MARKS WEREN'T EXCLUSIVE TO THE DEAD QUEUES.

I could not have predicted just how awful this whole thing is.
  • grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    > @disqord#9557 said:
    > Jesus Christ. You know what? I didn't realize just how awful this event could possibly be. Seriously, the massive alt grind is one thing, but the sheer number of idlers in the game is actually astounding.
    >
    > You know what I love? I love doing an event PvE 20 times in a day, 3 on one character, JUST TO GET THE MARKS. Idlers were the reason I need to run Sompek again for a total 2 competitive marks. Even in the timed queue, there are people doing absolutely nothing through the whole mission. This is stupid.
    >
    > Of course, I wouldn't have to run it this many times if the Pulsewave was account unlock. Or, you know...
    > IF COMPETITIVE MARKS WEREN'T EXCLUSIVE TO THE DEAD QUEUES.
    >
    > I could not have predicted just how awful this whole thing is.

This is why i have one character since the beginning of the game
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    Jesus Christ. You know what? I didn't realize just how awful this event could possibly be. Seriously, the massive alt grind is one thing, but the sheer number of idlers in the game is actually astounding.

You know what I love? I love doing an event PvE 20 times in a day, 3 on one character, JUST TO GET THE MARKS. Idlers were the reason I need to run Sompek again for a total 2 competitive marks. Even in the timed queue, there are people doing absolutely nothing through the whole mission. This is stupid.

Of course, I wouldn't have to run it this many times if the Pulsewave was account unlock. Or, you know...
    IF COMPETITIVE MARKS WEREN'T EXCLUSIVE TO THE DEAD QUEUES.

I could not have predicted just how awful this whole thing is.

The more grind involved, the more people will AFK. The more people that AFK, the more it ruins it for the people who actually play and try to have some fun.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    if you want to pulsewave... just skip event and wait for it to be added to the phoenix box.
  • omegaher0omegaher0 Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    When this event was the weekend one, it was fun and even managed to get to round 68! Now my highest average round is 12. So far, every match I have had, at least one person afk'd and/or got mad when we wouldn't die. I even had a whole pug (we excluded) agree to quit at level 5 when I wanted to go a bit farther.

It also annoys me that the weapon is character only, and due to my limited time, I can only do it on 2 of my 5 toons. If it weren't for my wanted to do my best, I'd be afk'ing like the rest of them.
    "Suffer the little ones, lest they rise up and beat you senseless." Druid's Call, from Magic: The Gathering
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    I'm just doing 5 alts myself, doing timed

As I'm doing timed, I know most will 'five 'n die' (as I've termed it), I ask at the start so as to not waste consumables and so on. So far I've had several full 15 minute runs as I put it to a vote, meaning all involved want to be involved

Looking at the queues, it seems its an unwritten rule 5ompek (dps channel reference)should only be done on timed to leave untimed for those who want to challenge the mode
  • dszxccfdszxccf Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    burstorion wrote: »

As I'm doing timed, I know most will 'five 'n die' (as I've termed it), I ask at the start so as to not waste consumables and so on. So far I've had several full 15 minute runs as I put it to a vote, meaning all involved want to be involved

Looking at the queues, it seems its an unwritten rule 5ompek (dps channel reference)should only be done on timed to leave untimed for those who want to challenge the mode

More often than not, I'm finding people who don't say anything and start getting salty about you not dying after 5 rounds. The per character unlock has unintentionally made introduced two different groups of players with opposing motivations in the same queue, upsetting both groups.

One of the more polite requests is I've seen is copied below:

" get dead, ppl. I''ve got 30 more characters to get dailies from.

would both of you die, please? we want our daily items.... Today.

thanks in advance.

you DO know that there's a non-timed version of this for those that want to try to go as far as possible, right? just curious...

there goes the time used for daily item collection on 3 or 4 characters...

good to know there are some ppl SO willing to help....

... this should've happened 9 rounds ago."

Clearly, neither group is satisfied with how this is turning out.

• tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    valoreah wrote: »

Going to cry B.S. on this. I ran with a PUG group of complete strangers on Saturday afternoon and got to level 47. And I'm being honest I haven't seen an AFK'er yet in this.

/Clap good for you =) glad to see some folks doing well for once. now how many toons are you running a day?
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    tigeraries wrote: »
    /Clap good for you =) glad to see some folks doing well for once. now how many toons are you running a day?
    There does seem to be an AFK penalty in place. I know two players who get them, so there must be some minimal level of effort to prevent the penalty.

I'm tired of other players insisting that I put their fun ahead of mine when their issue is with Cryptic (or being an alt-a-holic). I enjoy the event. Many of my characters would not make it past level 50, so I play the timed event. The que is advertised to be 20 minutes long. I want to play the qued content for the listed 20 minutes because I find it fun.

Cryptic should just give everyone 8,000 unrefined dilithium every 24 hours so that people would stop whining about having to play the content to get the reward.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    Going to cry B.S. on this. I ran with a PUG group of complete strangers on Saturday afternoon and got to level 47. And I'm being honest I haven't seen an AFK'er yet in this.
    Today I got to wave 22.... on timed with a team where there was one person who refused to do anything after wave 5. so... I used the Omega rep rez power on her repeatedly. :p

So yeah, PUGs with people who try and have some idea what they're doing can go far.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    I liked the weekend ones, "lets see how far we can get!".. with this is like, "Oh please, i have other things do, can we speed up a little?".. doing it on one char, and that's it
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Never had an AFK in any group so far. All but one time was Timed.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    dszxccf wrote: »
    burstorion wrote: »

More often than not, I'm finding people who don't say anything and start getting salty about you not dying after 5 rounds. The per character unlock has unintentionally made introduced two different groups of players with opposing motivations in the same queue, upsetting both groups.

One of the more polite requests is I've seen is copied below:

" get dead, ppl. I''ve got 30 more characters to get dailies from.

would both of you die, please? we want our daily items.... Today.

thanks in advance.

you DO know that there's a non-timed version of this for those that want to try to go as far as possible, right? just curious...

there goes the time used for daily item collection on 3 or 4 characters...

good to know there are some ppl SO willing to help....

... this should've happened 9 rounds ago."

Clearly, neither group is satisfied with how this is turning out.

Try asking at the start, adding if theres no replies, you'll consider it a full run and will revive as needed... often they'll speak up then rather than 'risk' losing time for dalies

If they don't speak after that, its their loss.
  • sarah2774sarah2774 Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    Unless your whole team agree to end after 5 rounds it not nice to quit. PUGs normally would not quit after 5 rounds. If you want to quit after 5 rounds make a team for it.
    OPv9m3F.jpg
  • disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    I feel like Kael's response of "we'll talk about it" isn't going to be enough. So far there has been no actual discussion with the community over anything, and AFK-ing feels like it's becoming worse as the days go by.

I mean, seriously, this is not fair to anyone who actually WANTS TO PLAY THE GAME. I have not had one run this whole event -across several characters mind you- without someone deciding that they're too good to be courteous and make a private group to play the queue (Or rather, NOT play it) and so they start complaining and ruining the game for the rest of us.

I understand that you might want to get the pulsewave on all your characters. I want that too! But I'm not going to run around ruining the game for others over it. There's not even any other reason to do it, either. The dilithium isn't even enough to outweigh the time lost doing Admirality and other, unobtrusive methods of grinding.

The devs really should do something about this. Soon.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    All the groups I've been in have stopped at 5. I usually try to finish to get to 6 by myself then call it a day.

I really wish they would have kept it to 4 days for this. for 14 days I'm happy with 6 and done.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    I don't get why people just give up at five, it's 20 minutes for the timed version. Just hang on for those 20 minutes
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
      Okay, to sum up all the extant issues:

We, as players, have to grind out 14 vouchers to get the Sompek Pulsewave, an item which we know precisely nothing about, using a mechanism which apparently has not been completely fixed from the previous version (which makes participation unreasonably problematic for one-third of the player professions), with no guarantee that the reward system will actually work.

And we have to do this PER TOON.

Yeah, this is not gonna work.

Why is this different from literally any other sto event that you'd be so upset about it?

There is an unacceptable lack of information being provided. We're on Day Six and there's no official information about the Sompek Pulsewave aside from the name. There's a GIF of it in action, and it is indeed a lightning shotgun, but that only came out Monday.
      Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
      2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
      3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
      4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
      5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
      6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
      7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
      8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!