test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Jupiter Builds: What's the new build and playstyle since the rebalance?

brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
A umm, friend, yeah, a friend, and definately not me, is having trouble advancing from Normal to Advanced content. It seems my... his, ship lacks the oomph needed to keep up in the queues. I... he, needs help in building and flying the Jupiter.

The most recent Jupiter Build Thread I can find is dated 2016, but with the recent powers adjustment, I was hoping for more up to date information from players who currently fly Jupiters. But building is only half the battle, and being able to use the ship effectively is also important.

Also, I was hoping to get a volunteer to do some ride-along flights to evaluate ...my friend's... use in play.

Thanks for the help. (Oh, and mark your jokes with smilies so I can avoid trying out that cool new skittles turret build...)

Comments

• theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    What pets are you using?
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
      Peregrins.

Went with the Vaudwaar Cluster/Tricobalt torpedo build which worked fine leveling up but it can't do much in the Advanced content.
      edited August 2017
      If your fleet has access to elite runabouts, use the them instead of the peregrines. If your fleet does not have that access, danubes and flyers will do fine
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
        edited August 2017
        I have used a few different pets in the Jupiter, but I eventually landed on Elite Swarmers. They just do so much damage I can't get rid of them, they really help make up for some of the Jupiters downside when it comes to dealing damage.

My Starfleet Engineer currently runs in a Fleet Jupiter with great success. Here is a link to her ship - U.S.S. Argus.

As always, my build is intended just to show what I'm doing and give a few suggestions, it's never to imply that it's the 'right way' or the 'only' way to build the ship.. simply what works for me.

With that being said, a few notes...

The Energy Siphon is there to help with power but also to to proc the Greedy Emitters trait from the Nandi. If you don't have that trait and don't need the Syphon, you can swap that with Destabilized Resonance Beam for more damage dealing.

Tacyhon Beam is the same, it's there because I use the Improved Tachyon Beam trait from the Geneva Command Cruiser. This gives me and my whole team an excelent AOE shield heal and helps provide a support role. If you don't have that trait, you can swap that out for a Gravity Well or Tykens Rift depending on taste.

The only inaccuracy is under personal space traits I have Shield Frequency Analyst slotted. I no longer use this and have replaced it with Repair Crews, but that trait is not listed on STO Academy. All other traits, skills, and Duty Officers should be complete and current.

Power levels are set at 100/15/15/70.

It's not an expensive build overall, most of it comes from fleet and Rep Gear. Please let me know if you have any questions.
        Insert witty signature line here.
        Sorry.. I should have added.. pass that build along to your.. friend. :)
      • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
        Thanks for the advice, and yeah, I'll let 'my friend' know.

Question:
        Is gameplay focus to stand off and play crowd control/anti-spam? Is it to get in the mix and shield-tank to keep them off your friends? I realize it will be dependent on the mission and where you are in it sometimes which dictates positioning, but what playstyles are generally most effective?
        It's very DPS orientated, so you need to be able to to get a enough to keep up.
        That said, crowd control is always useful on queues like CSA, ISA and KSA for holding the mobs in place
        NMXb2ph.png
          edited August 2017
          brian334 wrote: »
          Thanks for the advice, and yeah, I'll let 'my friend' know.

Question:
          Is gameplay focus to stand off and play crowd control/anti-spam? Is it to get in the mix and shield-tank to keep them off your friends? I realize it will be dependent on the mission and where you are in it sometimes which dictates positioning, but what playstyles are generally most effective?

My build is more DPS focused, taking things down quickly and using the Tachyon Beam to keep shields up and help the team. It's basically a Fire At Will Beam Boat that uses Pets to augment the missing damage from the 2 additional weapon slots that a normal cruiser would have.

If you wanted to play more of a crowd control, that would work too, but you would want to swap out some of the science abilities and put in things like Gravity Well to pull everything in, then maybe hit them with a Resonance Beam or something like that. It's a fairly versatile ship, so it's really up to you.

I would recommend that the first thing you do is decide how you want to play. Think about how you see the ship and what you want it to do, and then we can see if we can get you a build that fits your style.
        • alcaatrazalcaatraz Member Posts: 113 Arc User
          How do people normally format builds on the forums as it is?
          --- @alcaatraz || I make tanks and do maths stuffs ---
          "I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul."
          edited August 2017
          Yeah, we don't have a template on the forum like the one they use on Reddit, we usually just link to STO Academy.