test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Are the Arena of Sompek rewards account unlocks?

I just read the Arena of Sompek announcement and was wondering if the rewards are account or character unlocks. I sure hope I don't have to run it 14 times per character, but I think that's the plan.

Comments

• mattaukettmattaukett Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    Questions been asked in the main announcement thread and @ambassadorkael#6946 has said he'll enquire.
  • indysharkindyshark Member Posts: 1,543 Arc User
    Thanks
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    indyshark wrote: »
    Thanks

If it's like the other 3 week events, then it probably won't be.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    Sompek Pulsewave is a character unlock, not an account unlock. Gotta grind that queue for a pulsewave!
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    Please remember, if you or anyone else does not like this change from account to character unlocks, make sure you say it in the forum or in the thread for the event announcement. If people continue to say that something should be changed, they might end up smartening up and doing something about it.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    Please remember, if you or anyone else does not like this change from account to character unlocks, make sure you say it in the forum or in the thread for the event announcement. If people continue to say that something should be changed, they might end up smartening up and doing something about it.

Good point. They obviously aren't going to make the dil and marks an account wide reward, but if you want an account unlock of just the weapon then please say so (politely!) in the GNN announcement thread.

I'm most likely going to skip this event since it's a 14-day grind for a single character. If I do it, it will be for a character who needs Lukari marks (from the news thread it doesn't award the Competitive rep marks).
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    I'd have set it up so 13 daily marks gets you the account unlock pulse and opens up a new one mark project to claim the dil/mark rewards which opens up the one mark repeatable dil/mark turn in.

I'll do this on one captain and hope the pulsewave isn't something I'll want on more.

This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    velqua wrote: »
    Sompek Pulsewave is a character unlock, not an account unlock. Gotta grind that queue for a pulsewave!

Yeah, that sucks. Not running it for alts. I can understand the Dil and marks being per-character, but the gun should be an account unlock. But I guess we'll see it in a Phoenix box at some point.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Per character rewards...

Pass.

This TRIBBLE has to stop.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    By the by, are the reward tokens account or character bound? Can we use leftover tokens from the previous Sompek event?
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • ffttfftt Member Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    lopequil wrote: »
    By the by, are the reward tokens account or character bound? Can we use leftover tokens from the previous Sompek event?

The last Sompek event awarded weekend tokens, these event tokens are something else (EDIT: Merit of Sompek tokens). I'm assuming the tokens for this event are character bound since it's a per character event and not per account.

Token are character-bound, so you can't use 3 different characters to earn your single-character unlock.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    Per character rewards...

Pass.

This **** has to stop.

Indeed, unless you have a very poor or very unwilling team a Sompek run is going to take 20 minutes. It's very easy for that to scale into a hideous (for STO) grind across three weeks. I don't know what this weapon does how it compares to anything else but because it's a timed exclusive I'm very worried that I'll be missing out significantly on at least two characters. That's at least 40 minutes per day across 14 days (presenting a real risk of burn-out just before the new season, I have to call this very poor strategy on Cryptic's part) on the basis of what's now merely an inconsistent rewards scheme across various events.

We need the exclusive items to be made account unlocks to turn what's now a perennially irritating facet of the PVE events (deciding well in advance who gets what gear and multiplying the grind out if the answer to that question is more than one character) into a valuable account perk (and an additional incentive for participation, one might not need a pulse wave now but a future character might).
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    ...but because it's a timed exclusive I'm very worried that I'll be missing out significantly on at least two characters...

I'm not so worried about exclusivity now that the phoenix box has been established. In many ways I'd much sooner open a phoenix box than grind 14 days of another event per character.
  • bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User

They say they will listen. They don't and just a gimmick from whoever mentioned it. STO never listens to players and never has.
    They might have used to listen to a few elites who originally did foundry, old PvP and played with Devs. Those are already long gone and it is more drier than before. Just an example was Delta Rising...oh yeah they listened real good at that time. SO good that hardly anyone was left here afterwards normal-2.gif​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
    edited August 2017
    fftt wrote: »
    ...but because it's a timed exclusive I'm very worried that I'll be missing out significantly on at least two characters...

I'm not so worried about exclusivity now that the phoenix box has been established. In many ways I'd much sooner open a phoenix box than grind 14 days of another event per character.

But there's no guarantee that old prizes will be included with the Phoenix boxes. There are many old timed exclusives that are still missing and what's been added (at the small item tier) hasn't included the most recent prizes. It's nice to have the phoenix boxes but without a regular update pattern I don't think they can be counted on to substitute for account-unlocks (which may be the point to maintain event participation.)

And if that ever does develop, it would still be hugely preferable (to match effort to return) for PVE event exclusive to be account bound. Compare the relative investment between grinding ~4.62 hours per character weapon unlock versus the dilithium required to open a few phoenix boxes. As it is, the current model works for people interested in gaining the resources, but for those interested in the exclusives it's unsustainable.
    They say they will listen. They don't and just a gimmick from whoever mentioned it. STO never listens to players and never has.​​

Yeah, because after Delta Rising (for instance) Cryptic never took a look at NPC health scaling, XP requirements, or how patrols were incorporated into the main mission chain. They clicked off all feedback channels, sat in a room, and congratulated themselves with a great big sing dev along. (set to a single acoustic guitar)

"Ha ha ha, those stupid players.
    Everything we do,
    Is just to spite them!

Can you believe,
    How lucky we are,
    That just a few posters,
    Have figured our ruse.

Could it just be,
    That these people are wrong.
    Shunning all facts,
    That do not conform.

Not at all,
    We are so evil.
    Laying in wait,
    Until our doom-laser's primed."

Now I could have just said "don't give in to cyclical pessimistic feedback" but a folksie ode to tin foil hats was just too fun to pass up. :tongue:

(Seriously though, as an active community member I think you're factually mistaken. Rather than stewing on a tangent you could relax a bit and try to engage with people and devs in this or any other setting tied to the game [providing new perspectives and better creative outlets]. I'd recommend as a starting point the weekly community streams.)
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    I am currently taking a partial break from STO; logging in 2 maybe 3 times per week. While I may play the Arena of Sompek event from time to time, it is more about trying to break my own personal record of lasting 65 rounds in a pug rather than getting the Sompek Pulsewave. I don't really care for pulsewave weapons.
    Either my sarcasm detector is broken, or that's a yuuge collection of alternative facts to pack into 2 posts.

They made ship unlocks account-wide. The lowered the grind from 50 to 60 and fixed the scaling in Delta Rising. They added ship loadouts, they reworked boff training to make it tremendously more player-friendly, they gave us the Phoenix packs, on and on.

"Never" listen? I disagree.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    They listen in terms of tweaking old stuff, its the newer content being added where they fall back on the grind-a-thon design philosphy.

Loadouts were bugged for quite a while where they would randomly be forgotten or adjust from a simple map transition.

The cynic in me thinks that the boff manuals were added in order to monetize skills by having them in lockboxes rather than for player convenience.
  • lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    The event window says the "Merits of Sompek" are one per account per day, but there are only three weeks in the event. Obviously the event window is wrong but it's a little concerning that no-one noticed before it went live.
    Q9BWcdD.png

But there's no guarantee that old prizes will be included with the Phoenix boxes. There are many old timed exclusives that are still missing and what's been added (at the small item tier) hasn't included the most recent prizes. It's nice to have the phoenix boxes but without a regular update pattern I don't think they can be counted on to substitute for account-unlocks (which may be the point to maintain event participation.)

And if that ever does develop, it would still be hugely preferable (to match effort to return) for PVE event exclusive to be account bound. Compare the relative investment between grinding ~4.62 hours per character weapon unlock versus the dilithium required to open a few phoenix boxes. As it is, the current model works for people interested in gaining the resources, but for those interested in the exclusives it's unsustainable.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if these events were account bound myself. I'm just not going to worry too much if I can't spare the time to get this event unlocked on all my characters in the time allotted.

If I'm not mistaken, all but the most recent per character event rewards are in the phoenix box and I'm thinking the missing ones will also be included eventually. So if this pulsewave rifle is a *must have* (doubtful) and I miss it this time around I personally won't sweat about it. Is it guaranteed that the missing rewards will be added - of course not. But in the grand scheme of things there's no guarantee that they game server could not be shut down at anytime in the future either.

As to the return on effort... The previous event rewards have been in Very Rare or poorer quality phoenix boxes. Maybe I was lucky this last time around but I bought two 10-packs (80k dilithium?) and between that and the dailies ended up with 3 rare and 2 very rare boxes. The last two times around of the phoenix box I didn't buy any and managed to equip my Delta and Temporal recruits with the 'exclusives' I wanted with just the dailies. And as a comparison I max out my refinable ore collection on a character in about 15 minutes so 80k of dilithium is only 10 days of playing (vs 14 days of tokens) at 2 1/2 hours of log in time (vs your ~4.62 hours). That is why I wrote that in some ways the phoenix boxes are more preferable to me than grinding the events.

I'll still give the event a go though and worst case scenario I'll either leave the started projects open for the next time the event runs or just have spare tokens for the next reward. Would I prefer to grind it on one character for an account unlock? Yah'ya'bet'cha! But it is what it is and players have been asking for the three week event rewards as account unlocks for a few years now. At least the feedback has been listened to and the weekend event rewards have been account unlocks.
    The event window says the "Merits of Sompek" are one per account per day, but there are only three weeks in the event. Obviously the event window is wrong but it's a little concerning that no-one noticed before it went live.

That'll presumably be a throwback to the previous iteration where it was a weekender rather than a 3 week MI style marathon.

Although if the token name was altered accordingly why wasnt the rest of the info? Cryptics lax QA dept strikes again perhaps.

I can see no reasonable excuse why the reward isn't an account unlock given the time it'll take. Pulsewaves are not a favourite weapon as far as I know so piling a grind on top for the folks with multiple alts just makes them think why bother slogging it out.
    edited August 2017

If I'm not mistaken, all but the most recent per character event rewards are in the phoenix box and I'm thinking the missing ones will also be included eventually. So if this pulsewave rifle is a *must have* (doubtful) and I miss it this time around I personally won't sweat about it. Is it guaranteed that the missing rewards will be added - of course not. But in the grand scheme of things there's no guarantee that they game server could not be shut down at anytime in the future either.

I don't think there's been specific comment and it is to Cryptic's benefit for us to be guessing whether or not a given exclusive will be included in phoenix (because that preserves the incentive to grind now.) As such I don't think we'll be able to say for sure given the fact that the phoenix box does not represent a complete collection of old exclusives. It's a large set (especially when it comes to ships) and a safe bet for recent PVE events (at some future date, we're still missing the Tholian cannon) but there's still doffs, boffs, guns, and uniforms (Kobali, Worf hair/sash) dating even from the launch of STO (original TR-118) that aren't available.
    As to the return on effort... The previous event rewards have been in Very Rare or poorer quality phoenix boxes. Maybe I was lucky this last time around but I bought two 10-packs (80k dilithium?) and between that and the dailies ended up with 3 rare and 2 very rare boxes. The last two times around of the phoenix box I didn't buy any and managed to equip my Delta and Temporal recruits with the 'exclusives' I wanted with just the dailies. And as a comparison I max out my refinable ore collection on a character in about 15 minutes so 80k of dilithium is only 10 days of playing (vs 14 days of tokens) at 2 1/2 hours of log in time (vs your ~4.62 hours). That is why I wrote that in some ways the phoenix boxes are more preferable to me than grinding the events.

That's the problem I specified, once made available it's easier to equip characters with phoenix boxes and various earned dilithium than to participate in the PVE event grind. The way the math works out (as far as equipment goes) is for the items to become account bound. Then, there's a definite perk for participating with the event rather than waiting for the phoenix box and that participation isn't scaled up for however many characters you want the equipment piece for.
    I'll still give the event a go though and worst case scenario I'll either leave the started projects open for the next time the event runs or just have spare tokens for the next reward. Would I prefer to grind it on one character for an account unlock? Yah'ya'bet'cha! But it is what it is and players have been asking for the three week event rewards as account unlocks for a few years now. At least the feedback has been listened to and the weekend event rewards have been account unlocks.

Same, Sompek is a lot of fun and I'm definitely not going to forgo that because I dislike how these equipment unlocks are handled at present. But I'm not going to have as much fun as I might have because I'm having to carefully manage myself and my tolerances because I'll be approaching it with two characters. Ideally for this, it'd be one but I'm stuck looking at two for the exclusive. That's the feedback I'd like to give Cryptic, I'm incentivized to participate but as is that's coming at a significant cost (avoiding burn-out) which can be avoided with other unlock schemes (or simply deciding not to care, which is entirely counterproductive to having the exclusive.)
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    In someways I would not mind if they added a three match format alongside the timed, and unlimited run version for the event. You get alot of people that go into the event wanting to just get the merit regardless of how far the rest of the group wants to go. Having a version that is geared towards those that want to just go in, do the minimum needed rounds to get the merit, without needing to burden the rest of the group would be nice. You can always do the merit run group, but that is similar for other groups as well that want to go as far as they can, or get the highest reward.
  • djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    While an account unlock would certainly be nice, I don't actually do these for the "prize" item. I do them for all the dilithium that I get across 11 characters. For me that's a bigger deal. That being said, I'm still only doing two characters, because I do not have TIME to make 11 20 minute runs a day.
    C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
    I've started asking at the start of a run if folk after after a round five wipe or not.

If the majority consensus is wipe then it's a wipe and if not then see how far we get.