test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Active players, how long have you been playing?

Comments

• sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    Since the launch
    Since launch and before, in closed beta.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    Since free to play
    toiva wrote: »
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I started playing, literally a few days before PWE took over and ppl were discussing whether it should still be called the 'C-Store.'

It's not like that discussion ever really stopped. There's still people coming with the "Z-store" no matter how Branflakes officially disputed that. I'm so old...
    Well... the button is labeled Z Store... so.....

Common mistake. It's merely labeled "Store". With a picture of "a Zen", aka a coin with a Z on it.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    After the launch but before free to play
    I started playing, literally a few days before PWE took over and ppl were discussing whether it should still be called the 'C-Store.'
    It's not like that discussion ever really stopped. There's still people coming with the "Z-store" no matter how Branflakes officially disputed that. I'm so old...
    Common mistake. It's merely labeled "Store". With a picture of "a Zen", aka a coin with a Z on it.
    But... where is there a different label for it?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    so i guess that label that says 'Visit the C-Store' when you hover over the button doesn't exist for you? because it sure as hell does for me​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    Since free to play

At this point, Z-Store actually makes more sense.

N.B.. I bet Zen comes from Zeni, meaning 'money' in Japanese. I took half-a-year of Japanese classes once, and I remember this old proverb: "Kono yo wa zeni" (loosely translated, 'this world is all about money'). I don't speak Chinese, but I wouldn't be surprised if Zeni is known for a similar meaning in China too.

It's a chinese company so: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen
    Also see zen buddhism.
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    Since free to play
    It's been a long road getting from there to here
    6tviTDx.png

• meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    bernatk wrote: »

At this point, Z-Store actually makes more sense.

N.B.. I bet Zen comes from Zeni, meaning 'money' in Japanese. I took half-a-year of Japanese classes once, and I remember this old proverb: "Kono yo wa zeni" (loosely translated, 'this world is all about money'). I don't speak Chinese, but I wouldn't be surprised if Zeni is known for a similar meaning in China too.

It's a chinese company so: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen
    Also see zen buddhism.

I very much doubt the Z-Store is, in any way, shape, or form, referring to Zen buddhism. :) I think my explanation is better.

Also, search wiki for 'zeni', and you'll see 2 references to ingame currency as well.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • bigananibiganani Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    Bought the collectors edition the day it first released. Played about 2 months. During that time, I bought the playable Borg option, a couple costumes like DS9 uniforms, etc. I didn't know where to go with a Klingon character, and my Fed character got to a point in the story where I wasn't getting anymore missions (maybe I was short on exp). Anyways, between getting lost what to do next to advance, and the newest (at that time) WOW expansion coming out, I ended up stopping playing.

Fast forward 5 or 6 years later (until 2 weeks ago). I started playing again. I admit, I was disappointed. I logged onto to find my playable Borg captain not there, and playable Borg is now a lifetime subscription thing. I also found some other things I purchased are no longer available to me (the DS9 uniforms because now they are part of the DS9 package that also includes Bajoran uniforms). The one that has me confused is, why playable joined trill is no longer on my account, while some species still are. It kind of was disappointing to log onto my account to find neither the freeded Borg captain or the joined trill captain I had were there anymore.

Anyways, I am enjoying the story now. I'm glad to see Klingons have missions now. I'm particularly enjoying the Romulan/Klingon story line.

I do have one question. Every single night, I am getting like 5 to 10 Son'a lockboxes dropping, but you have to purchase keys to open them. Is there anything actually useful in those boxes? Its kind of annoying to have all these boxes dropping, but you have to spend $5 to $10 a day to actually open them.
  • mavericku2007mavericku2007 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    Since the launch
    From the launch day - wife bought me the DVD as a present! Still playing and still really haven't got a clue how to play it properly - but I still enjoy it for what it is - a game
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    After Legacy of Romulus but before Delta Rising
    Heard of STO way back before release, but since it wasn't free to play I ignored it. Discovered it went F2P a while later.

Can't say I actively play it much though. It was the best before Delta Rising, where gameplay to me felt more strategic, was slower paced, ship classes meant something to what they added to the team, and there were many players back then.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • bigananibiganani Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    biganani wrote: »
    Bought the collectors edition the day it first released. Played about 2 months. During that time, I bought the playable Borg option, a couple costumes like DS9 uniforms, etc. ...

Fast forward 5 or 6 years later (until 2 weeks ago). I started playing again. I admit, I was disappointed. I logged onto to find my playable Borg captain not there, and playable Borg is now a lifetime subscription thing.

As far as I remember, Liberated Borg were always a LTS thing and never a C-Store option.

Hmmm. Looked it up on the Wiki. Maybe you are right. I must have had just a regular captain with a Borg bridge officer. But I do remember it having the Seven of Nine uniform, which I don't have available to me either. And I remember being really dumb and setting it so that captain and all the bridge officers did the seductive pose as their resting pose. (Hey, I have gotten 6 years older. I'm much more mature now. Don't judge! In fact, I'm probably more towards "You kids get off my lawn!" now mature).

Uniforms are account wide options, aren't they?

Well now I don't see any reason why the captains I had were removed. I mean, granted, I would have been confused coming back 6 years later into a middle of a story I had forgotten. But I was figuring on playing the story first with a new captain, then leveling them up after.

Sorry. This isn't a complaint response. Merely just a confused one as to why things are removed from old inactive accounts (and even more mysterious why only some things and not others). I really am enjoying the game, and probably have been staying up late night too much as I go through the stories.
  • shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    After free to play but before Legacy of Romulus
    I think I joined towards the tail end of season 5... I remember fleet starbases coming in, and the Romulans.... I still have a KDF toon who was never a lieutenant and whose first officer isn't K'Gan. Happy days. (I'm quite new compared to some people in this thread, though.)
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,449 Arc User
    Since the launch
    Been playing since August of 09.

For better... or worse.
    For richer... for poorer.
    In sickness, and in health.
    Till the servers shut down, do I part!
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • hellcat#5580 hellcat Member Posts: 3 New User
    Been playing since Friday but there is no option for that I think.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    Since Legacy of Romulus
    Since May 26th 2013. Bought the Legacy of Romulus and Steam Starter Pack on sale from Steam. There's no turning back. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    A few weeks or months after the official release. Less than a year later I became a lifetime subcriber.

I did stop playing STO for a while and missed the New Romulus release, for example. I joined again for the Dyson Sphere content. (I think somewhere between 2012 to 2014 was my pause from STO).
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    Since free to play
    I've been playing since Free 2 play. High point of this game IMO was LoR.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • locutusofcactuslocutusofcactus Member Posts: 651 Arc User
    Since free to play
    valoreah wrote: »
    Poll is missing "Since BETA" option.

Yeah I didn't think to add an option for that until after it was too late. Also, I think I should have said "Since or after AoY" instead of just "After AoY" as the last option.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    After free to play but before Legacy of Romulus
    All I remember was my friend said, "Mary, download Star Trek Online....we can go kill Klingon Snowmen in the Winter Event!"

And I said, "I wanna be a Klingon!"

And he said, "Oh man, I have to get you to Level 20!" (instead of just level 10 to unlock WW).

Little did HE know...LOL!

I don't know how he managed to use that horrible little chat window in the game to teach me how to walk and jump and fly a space ship in a computer video game.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • atalossataloss Member Posts: 563 Arc User
    It's been 4 years.
    One day Cryptic will be free from their Perfect World overlord. Until that day comes, they will continue to pamper the whales of this game, and ignore everyone that isn't a whale.
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    Closed Beta, the horror of the ever expanding tribbles...and ships in ESD (literally), the Borg and Klingons overrunning Earth Space Dock...

Then the day an Emergency QA Hologram killing me on ESD one day... still will never forget that malfunctioning hologram...

So basically it's been a long time... -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0azMOJ-h_o
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    where is the Since closed Beta option?
    Spock.jpg

• bejaymacbejaymac Member Posts: 448 Arc User
    Since free to play
    About a week after the F2P launch, gave it that long to allow the servers to recover from the initial onslaught.
  • cokebearcokebear Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    I was very excited when the game was originally in development by Perpetual. Then, I was deeply disappointed when the developer went belly up. Then, I was super stoked when development started up again with Cryptic and it looked like it was really going to happen. After that I was super disappointed when I found out that the computer I owned as the release date approached would not meet the minimum specs to be able to run the game.

A few months after launch, I was able to afford a system with specs over the minimum required, and purchased the collectors edition. I began playing almost every day, paying for subscriptions in 3 month blocks or whatever they were until they had a VIP sale. For a long time leading up to F2P I spent hours grinding like crazy to get the marks I needed for a ship I wanted, and when there was a pre-F2P sale I bought a bunch of C-store ships so I owned virtually everything in the game at the time. I received the special Veteran BOff as one of the wealthier players in the game in the currency conversion and then after a few more months, kind of burned out. I hit a major bug when I came back after taking a few months off. I had left a bunch of stuff in the game mail system while transferring things to my newly-created alts (there was no account bank back then) and during the time away they changed the way things worked and imposed limits on the mail lower than what I had in the system. I was completely stuck for several months until they fixed it.

Finally, sometime around when the Delta quadrant was announced I was able to get past my glitches and begin playing again. My son was also finally old enough to be able to read, so both of my kids joined me using the other computers we'd added over the years. Now we play together for a couple of hours almost every day. They have since both become lifetime members as well.

I'm really saddened sometimes when I realize the stuff I missed during events that occurred during my gaps in play, and I certainly have had my share of game-breaking problems and burnout... but I don't think there are many games I have ever played where I keep coming back after seven years and still have a great time. It's become generational in my house, and I hope our fun continues for years to come.

Not sure why I'm recapping all of this... I guess to summarize how much of a roller-coaster ride my seven years have been? I'm still here in spite of the bad times, because the positive moments have been pretty great!

Edit: Also, funny coincidences or numerology, depending on how superstitious you might be - The closed beta launched on my daughter's birthday. The game officially launched on my son's birthday. The day I first created my account was my birthday.
  • aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    Since the launch
    cokebear wrote: »
    [..]
    Edit: Also, funny coincidences or numerology, depending on how superstitious you might be - The closed beta launched on my daughter's birthday. The game officially launched on my son's birthday. The day I first created my account was my birthday.

Pure awesome sauce to say the least... You win! :p

You are lucky, I hoped to play STO with my sons and wife but sadly it never happened...
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    Since the launch
    Since October 2009 (early Closed Beta)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."