test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] The Arena of Sompek Returns for Three Weeks!

Comments

• jeff92k7#4958 jeff92k7 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    I don't care about the pulsewave reward at all. I never use pulsewave weapons with any of my characters. However, I am very tired of the constant switching between account unlocks and character unlocks, just like the other comments here.

I think all item (console, weapon, ship) rewards should always be account unlock. Leave the mark/dilithium rewards as per character. I was extremely disappointed after the last mirror invasion, to find that the console form that one was character only. I certainly didn't have time to even start on another character at that point with any hope of getting it before the event ended. After the last Sompek event (which I REALLY liked), the reward was unlocked per account. I figured it would be that way for new events, but no, cryptic went back to the character locked stuff. Sure, maybe that's my fault for not understanding the announcements better, but it left me very frustrated. Honestly, there is so much character locked stuff in this game that should be account bound instead, like all the reputation stuff. It really makes the game frustrating and takes the fun out of it when you have to grind through the same LONG stuff with multiple characters just to get some reputation thing. By the time you finally earn the rep gear, you're bored with the game because you've already played through all the stuff on which you wanted to use the rep gear to begin with. The game would be MUCH more fun and have a lot more replay-ability if I could use different gear on new alts as I bring them up. It would lead to different tactics, different setups, and a LOT more fun. Heck, even just take the level requirements off all the missions after you've completed them in order on your first character. That way I can level a new alt without the same LONG, BORING stories that I've played so many times. But I digress...

Now, as for this event, I will be doing it on multiple characters (shorter, timed version) just to try to get a small dilithium stockpile on each before I'm away from the game for a while in the fall (IRL stuff), but that's because I want the per-character dilithium...which I have no complaint about.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    still no answer on the "lay a mine, delay the game" bug...or was that an 'on purpose'? (given how mines, and turrets from engineering kits slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwweed the respawn rates, but not the lobi stuff that's cross profession...)

not sure if I'll be bothering with this one, marks rewards be damned, and it's because iirc, that 'bug' was eventually owned as a 'Feature' to 'balance' it because "Engineers are OP".
    I'm pretty sure you can force mines to despawn now. Just unslot the module.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • jivedutchjivedutch Member Posts: 357 Arc User
    Quite liked the previous Sompek run and the way it went ... when i read a return i thought ... eh .. fun ... TRIBBLE rewards for 100 rounds ... but it was abit of a challenge ... and was something new ...
    And pleasantly surprised the reward item was account unlock. ...
    The Sompek Pulsewave will be a per character unlock.

Seriously .. this kills it for me .... i *might* do it on my main char ... but that will be that .... no more ....
    Takes too long to finish .. and then you end up with an item which will be sitting in a stash on the char for probably the VAST majority of the playerbase.

Sure ... making a scaling event reward per toon for the peeps who play for the dil/marks reward who would play it every day on all their characters .. but i'd play it for the item .. and sure as heck not gonna do it 30x14 too get it on all my chars ... and afterwards being bummed out coz i started a new char who doesnt have access to it ...

Similar for the Cochran Shotgun ... i only have it on 3 chars .. coz it took too long to run for it .. and those 3 dont use it coz their theme's different ....

My 50cents ..... unlock this itemaccount wide, and if possible also the items from previous events we "earned" in the account reclaimer.... and keep the big project as an option for grinders ..

• themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    I'm just interested in what the stats are for the Pulsewave. That will determine if I do the event and on which characters.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    monodoso wrote: »
    Its funny reading all the posts about how people won't partake in a event because of the rewards. I'll be playing it because it's content that is real fun to play. So many fellow players **** and moan about the grind and how long its takes. Get over it and enjoy the game. We are lucky we still have a game to play.

Fun two or three times does not necessarily mean fun for 14 days within 3 weeks, must be on a single character.

Since the tokens and project are per-character you can't even switch characters to see how different builds compare. Run it 15 times but using 5 different characters? No reward.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    I'm just interested in what the stats are for the Pulsewave. That will determine if I do the event and on which characters.

I am curious about those stats. Damage type is most likely electric and the novelty is a chaining effect?
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    questerius wrote: »

I am curious about those stats. Damage type is most likely electric and the novelty is a chaining effect?

Hope so.

"I will not only tase you, bro, but I will tase you and everyone in your immediate vicinity." - Zeus.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »

Hope so.

"I will not only tase you, bro, but I will tase you and everyone in your immediate vicinity." - Zeus.

agreed, I've been thinking about switching up one of my characters ground gear and something like that would work rather nicely.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • tobiashirttobiashirt Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    lnblade wrote: »
    Let me come back to say this: We hear you. The discussions are happening. I had a few of them myself this morning.

Probably not for this event, but they are happening.
    Thank you. I don't know if you remember, but the events that followed the first Arena had people hoping that the account unlock for event gear would be propagated to other events. It was a very popular. I know I'm not privy to all of the internal workings of PWE/Cryptic/STO and how all of the decisions are made, but you've got to realize that giving players something incredibly popular and then taking it away is not a good idea.

Particularly when the next event to follow it is also in the same mold, which further reinforces the idea that events will be like this from now on. What discussions are happening? Why did they even need to happen? I'll grant that there's probably significant decision-making inertia behind such changes, but that doesn't change the optics of the result.
  • bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    If anyone DEV is listening:

Feedback is to make this ACCOUNT rather than character bound or eliminate the Grindfest from 14 days to just a weekend event as it was once... nice and sweet.

Thanks for whoever listens!​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • newromulan#1567 newromulan Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    I like the longer event times, I dislike character bound items. Please fix this flaw in your content strategy.
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    tobiashirt wrote: »
    What discussions are happening? Why did they even need to happen? I'll grant that there's probably significant decision-making inertia behind such changes...
    Those having these discussions would be wise to step up and explain their thought processes logically - most relevant to this thread would be answers to questions like 'do you reasonably expect people with several alts to run an event 14 times on each and every one of them?' - and yes, they should know full well how many alts people have on average. Sort of related is the discussion of 'metrics'... which seems strange, because using alts to evaluate those is illogical. One player running ten alts through an event is not the same as ten different players running one character each.
    ...but that doesn't change the optics of the result.
    I would also suggest, sir, that this misuse of 'optics' as a synonym for 'appearance' or 'perception' is long overdue to be shown the airlock.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    And it's time to make these weapon rewards Very Rare or Ultra Rare and not just Rare. I mean really, 14 days of grind for a Blue gun.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    And it's time to make these weapon rewards MK14 Epic and not just Rare. I mean really, 14 days of grind for a Blue gun.

FTFY! ;)
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• blazeritterblazeritter Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    Ok, don't know what's going on, but it's not posting the pic and is giving me a "Failed to find discussion for commenting" error when I try to edit.

It's just this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6z6A5TP7uA
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    Let me come back to say this: We hear you. The discussions are happening. I had a few of them myself this morning.

While it's nice, I gotta wonder: there never were any discussions after all the feedback given before about the Mirror Invasion Event and its AFKers, the Breach or Crystalline Catastrophe? Really?

I thought that when the event ships were made account-wide and the Breach came with an abridged version to make the grind less painful, Cryptic was finally going into the right direction in handling the events requiring daily runs. And then, this happens?

Please, tell me First Contact Day won't go through the same treatment...

Of course there were discussions from previous feedback. That's how the Phoenix Prize Pack happened. Now they know that at least a certain amount of people want more than that, so they're discussing it again. Incremental change is how these things happen. Remember that outcry about event ships pushed them first from running the full project on every character to running the full project on one, then a token short project on everyone else to running it on one character to unlock it for everyone.

First Contact Day is tied to the calendar, and at a time when there isn't traditionally a 3 week event, so it's unlikely to be changed to this type of event. To even do so, they'd have to add way more combat than a potential ambush by some spiders, since they're obviously of the opinion that you have to risk your character to gain any significant reward. First Contact gave essentially no resources and even the items were cosmetic fluff.
    Upon further review, I realized that I was wrong, and this should read: Make First Contact Day like this? They already did. It was a per character unlock that you had to run 4 of the 7 available days to unlock. It's already a scaled-back version, only with weaker rewards, though they are fun.
    So - they need in game testing to do to Ground combat powers what they did to Space combat powers. The circle is now complete.

They did the ground rebalancing before the space rebalancing, and just after the inital Weekend Event version of the Arena of Sompek. They could be looking to do more, and the longer the time goes from the last one, the greater the chance that that "could be" becomes "likely are," but I don't think we're there yet.
    lnblade wrote: »

Thank you. I don't know if you remember, but the events that followed the first Arena had people hoping that the account unlock for event gear would be propagated to other events. It was a very popular. I know I'm not privy to all of the internal workings of PWE/Cryptic/STO and how all of the decisions are made, but you've got to realize that giving players something incredibly popular and then taking it away is not a good idea.

Particularly when the next event to follow it is also in the same mold, which further reinforces the idea that events will be like this from now on. What discussions are happening? Why did they even need to happen? I'll grant that there's probably significant decision-making inertia behind such changes, but that doesn't change the optics of the result.

Except it wasn't. Breach was next after the first Weekend Event, and it was very much the same 3 weeks to do 14 for a per character unlock that we've had for over 4 years now. Then there was First Contact Day, which worked more like a week-long Weekend Event, but with a per character unlock like the 3 week events have, then back to the same old routine with Mirror Invasion, then another Weekend Event with Kobayashi Maru, and now another 3 week event.

I personally hope that we do get the special items from the 3 week events made account unlocks, by the way, but it doesn't change the fact that it should be no great surprise that something that's worked a particular way for over 4 years is slow to change.
    What discussions are happening? Why did they even need to happen? I'll grant that there's probably significant decision-making inertia behind such changes...
    Those having these discussions would be wise to step up and explain their thought processes logically - most relevant to this thread would be answers to questions like 'do you reasonably expect people with several alts to run an event 14 times on each and every one of them?' - and yes, they should know full well how many alts people have on average. Sort of related is the discussion of 'metrics'... which seems strange, because using alts to evaluate those is illogical. One player running ten alts through an event is not the same as ten different players running one character each.
    ...but that doesn't change the optics of the result.
    I would also suggest, sir, that this misuse of 'optics' as a synonym for 'appearance' or 'perception' is long overdue to be shown the airlock.

No, they don't need to step up and explain something that they decided on over 4 years ago, quite probably with a number of people who don't even work there anymore. They made 3 week events like this back then when absolutely nothing earned in the game was an account unlock. Now an explanation of why they chose to use the Arena of Sompek queue for a 3 week event this time would be interesting and informative, since I find it to be a terrible match to this reward structure. You can do the Arena as it was intended, to challenge yourself to get further, or you can just use it to do the bare minimum to get your daily voucher, and the 2 things are at odds with each other, and become even more so as the number of alts that you intend to complete the project for increases.
    Post edited by anodynes on
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    valoreah wrote: »
    I'll give it a few runs. I got horribly annihilated last time lol. I don't expect to do much better this go around. Still fun though! :smiley:

Personally, if I have to die, I prefer dying in space. I pull the camera back as far as it will go and enjoy the fireworks. :p

f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    Probably 15 minutes like the Kobi Maru Weekend. They just love 15 minute stuff.

It's called GekoMetrics.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    darakoss wrote: »
    Probably 15 minutes like the Kobi Maru Weekend. They just love 15 minute stuff.

It's called GekoMetrics.

"GekoMetrics": good name. I'll have to remember that one.

Cryptic seems to have some internal goal to run one event per quarter that requires players to grind for 15 minutes per character every day for 14 days. But why these particular metrics? I would rather run an hour-long mission with variety for an account unlock than run a 15-minute repetitive mission on every character.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    It's GekoMetrics©®. Please be respectful of Copyright and Trademark.

Thank you. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,982 Arc User
    Last time they ran this there was an execrable tendency for people to drag it on as long as they could instead of finishing gracefully once the team had gotten the daily.

I am not optimistic.

Part of the anticipated fun for many looking forward to a repeat of the event was the challenge of how long a good team could last (and be rewarded account wide for your effort after only 3 runs).

For some challenge = fun.

Players do have the choice of timed or untimed versions don't they? I wouldn't have any issues with people doing it 14x for the reward dying after 4 rounds on the timed version.

Excessive grind = no fun.
  • furiousbrifuriousbri Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Mats per character reward? No problem, that makes sense. Equipment reward per character, instead of account bound? No thanks.
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    The Sompek Pulsewave will be a per character unlock.

Is this decision made to discourage the playerbase (especially those with many many alts), or made to drive Phoenix pack sales on the next run of them (love the Sompek Pulsewave? Get one for each alt with Phoenix packs & luck...)?
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I was really hoping for an alt friendly event. I don't care about the pulsewave but was hoping to run on all. No way I have time to do more than 1 for this. The problem with the mines... I doubt it has been fixed because it's a philosophical problem. They would have to change the nature of the mines putting the potential enemies in combat, which would effect everywhere not just in the event.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• galattgalatt Member Posts: 707 Arc User
    Any advice or suggestions for someone who hasn't done this before? I'm using my Engineer main for this?
    sig_picture_resize_by_gx_9901-db9d1v1.png
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    galatt wrote: »
    Any advice or suggestions for someone who hasn't done this before? I'm using my Engineer main for this?

Run > Shoot > watch out for environmental hazards
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • paddy#3322 paddy Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    thay8472 wrote: »
    galatt wrote: »

Run > Shoot > watch out for environmental hazards

And don't bring your engineer. The main bug with this was engineer mines and turrets slowing the enemy respawns. The devs know about and didn't care enough to fix it so instead claimed it was intentional to wait ten minutes between spawns.

I also enjoyed the event and will run it again on my current main. I will not run it on my alts as I am not interested in the reward.
    RIP (2022) : Officer Wilbert Mota, Corporal Charles Galloway, Detective Jason Rivera, Officer Fernando
    Arroyos, Officer John Painter, K9 Jedi, K9 Maya, Deputy Constable Neil Adams, Officer Jorge
    David Alvarado, Sergeant Joshua Cordell, Trooper Martin Mack, Trooper Branden Sisca,
    Lieutenant William Lebo