test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] The Arena of Sompek Returns for Three Weeks!

Comments

• entnx01entnx01 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    The Sompek Pulsewave will be a per character unlock.

Competitive marks will be available.

Blog has been updated.

I don't understand how Crpytic can take a wonderful event like Arena of Sompek, which was a 4-day limited time queue that was easy to get the daily but difficult to "complete" and gave an account-wide reward, and make it like Mirror Invasion which players already complain about for time-gating, length (due in part at least to the time-gating), and AFK'ing for a piece of gear that's character-bound and needs to be repeated for all characters to have the item offered.

I'll pass. This will be the first event I actively won't participate in.

Signed - A 5-year veteran.
  • zurielsevenzurielseven Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    Will the new Arena of Sompek give titles for wave completion as the previous version(s) did?
  • tobiashirttobiashirt Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    so what happened to the short, weekend event for ACCOUNT-BASED rewards that people actually liked?

newsflash: NOBODY LIKES THIS PER-CHARACTER DRECK!​​

The almighty metrics need to be sated? It's strange to revert an event that used one format back to the "old" format...I suppose this means we'll be seeing KM return as a 3-week thing at some point. At the very least, we now have (I don't recall it from before) a timed option just for the daily reward.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User

Disappointing, but thank you for asking.

We'll still keep coming back with the torches and pitchforks each time there's a 3-week event until they become account unlocks.

Event ships are, and you actually end up doing less work for them.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    Thanks for the update.
    I'll pass on this event then. With 12 characters, it's too much time.
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
  • darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    Character unlock and a pulsewave weapon?? Pass. This sounds like just another metric booster.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User

9e97f2d1e87d9c81c5184567d0b4eead.jpg
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
    Let me come back to say this: We hear you. The discussions are happening. I had a few of them myself this morning.

Probably not for this event, but they are happening.
  • arabaturarabatur Member Posts: 408 Arc User
    Let me come back to say this: We hear you. The discussions are happening. I had a few of them myself this morning.

If not for this event, then I'll vote with my feet and do something else more rewarding.
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    arabatur wrote: »

If not for this event, then I'll vote with my feet and do something else more rewarding.

I'm afraid that's the same story for me, making the event longer, and the reward per character? I'm skipping this event, I'm not doing MORE for LESS this time around.
  • mephizton2092mephizton2092 Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    entnx01 wrote: »

Competitive marks will be available.

Blog has been updated.

I don't understand how Crpytic can take a wonderful event like Arena of Sompek, which was a 4-day limited time queue that was easy to get the daily but difficult to "complete" and gave an account-wide reward, and make it like Mirror Invasion which players already complain about for time-gating, length (due in part at least to the time-gating), and AFK'ing for a piece of gear that's character-bound and needs to be repeated for all characters to have the item offered.

I'll pass. This will be the first event I actively won't participate in.

Sums it up al for me.
    I liked the previous event, an account unlock.
    Now this is a 14 day grind per char, and for the dil people will just get to the minimum round or afk till and go to next char. Instead of greatevent in a fun que, this will be something of the opposite.

Dont get me wrong, nice rewards, and a great instance to run. But this 14 day grind in 3 weeks for 1 char will only make it a forced x rounds run.
    Loved the kobayashi en previous Somptek events, this one i will skip. I rather spend my dil on a phoenix box to get the pulswave in the future for each char who wants it, then running 14 days with them.

And thanks for the quick clarifactions Ambassaor :)
    "Reports of our depression are vastly exaggerated."
    "Anyaway, we don't often see a sense of humor in Section 31."
  • lnbladelnblade Member Posts: 410 Arc User

Thank you. I don't know if you remember, but the events that followed the first Arena had people hoping that the account unlock for event gear would be propagated to other events. It was a very popular. I know I'm not privy to all of the internal workings of PWE/Cryptic/STO and how all of the decisions are made, but you've got to realize that giving players something incredibly popular and then taking it away is not a good idea.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User

While it's nice, I gotta wonder: there never were any discussions after all the feedback given before about the Mirror Invasion Event and its AFKers, the Breach or Crystalline Catastrophe? Really?

I thought that when the event ships were made account-wide and the Breach came with an abridged version to make the grind less painful, Cryptic was finally going into the right direction in handling the events requiring daily runs. And then, this happens?

Please, tell me First Contact Day won't go through the same treatment...

#TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User

As others have said, I will be skipping this event purely because a pulsewave ground weapon is probably not going to be worth swapping out the weapons I already use on my current characters. It not being an account unlock also means future characters wont benefit, either..

Glad somebody is listening, though, as something needs to change..
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    Why the hell per character? - some of us have many many toons - :(

Who is making these Gawd-awful decisions? And why? Is it Phoenix Box related?

StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    Character unlock.. i don't suppose you folks can make it so the project only needs 7 or 10 instead of 14.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • gulremalgulremal Member Posts: 153 Arc User
    Ugh. Ah well, queue it up, ungear your toons,let it instafail on 1st round, get the daily thingy. Not as fast as Crystalline Disastrophy, but I guess it will have to do.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    you have to get to round 4 to qualify for rewards​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    gulremal wrote: »
    Ugh. Ah well, queue it up, ungear your toons,let it instafail on 1st round, get the daily thingy. Not as fast as Crystalline Disastrophy, but I guess it will have to do.

Need to get to round 4 to get your daily merit so that strategy is ill advised.

This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    sunfrancks wrote: »

As others have said, I will be skipping this event purely because a pulsewave ground weapon is probably not going to be worth swapping out the weapons I already use on my current characters. It not being an account unlock also means future characters wont benefit, either..

Yeah this^. I don't even see many people using pulsewave weapons. Do they? Or is it just me?
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User

How long does that work out with 50 characters per account?

These type of events need to take into account Alt characters that players have made. I get that Dil shouldn't come that easy, but special items should been account unlocks, unless the item is OP--which I doubt would ever happen, or would only be OP until the next patch when it's nerfed.
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,982 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    this is NOT us just rerunning the original Arena.

Boo.

Just went from having a couple mains pre-prepped and tested for tankiness and balance and contemplating the fun to taking some time off from the game to enjoy summer.

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,302 Community Moderator
    Well, I'm disappointed that it's not an Account Unlock for the shiny, but I'll still attempt to do this on all 9 of my Alpha characters.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    darakoss wrote: »
    sunfrancks wrote: »

Yeah this^. I don't even see many people using pulsewave weapons. Do they? Or is it just me?

Most people, that I have seen, tend to use Rep weapons or weapons that are specific to ground missions (e.g. split beam, TR). As for pulsewave, Cochrane's shotgun tends to be one of the most desired.
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
    velqua wrote: »

These type of events need to take into account Alt characters that players have made. I get that Dil shouldn't come that easy, but special items should been account unlocks, unless the item is OP--which I doubt would ever happen, or would only be OP until the next patch when it's nerfed.

Yeah, I don't have enough time in my day, even over 3 weeks, to attempt this on all 52 of my characters.
    GrWzQke.png
  • disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    Good god, this is awful. Nobody wants these 14 day events to reward a stupid character unlock. Seriously, it's the worst thing to exist in the game so far. Exclusivity is bad enough when you join the game after one of the several thousand limited time events, but to held back by exclusivity for an event that YOU ALREADY DID?! That's just ludicrous!

We do not want to do this! We've never wanted to do this! It's awful! How freaking impossible is it for the devs to just put the account unlock in place of the actual item in the event?

Oh wait, it isn't impossible because YOU ALREADY DO THAT 3 TIMES A YEAR WITH STARSHIPS!

The absolute worst part of this whole thing is that the Sompek event WAS a short, ENJOYABLE, 4 day event that let you get an extremely useful unlock for all characters on an account. Somebody made a conscious decision to change the event to the the painful, universally hated 3 week catastrophe that NOBODY LIKES.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    velqua wrote: »
    you have to get to round 4 to qualify for rewards

too damn long, even on a premade suicide team​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User

Also appreciated.

But, we go through the same song and dance each time one of these events comes up. We haven't shut up and gone away yet, and the concerns are real. This isn't your usual forum whining. This is passionate players of STO who don't want to burn themselves out getting these things for their alts.

I can only hope that account unlocks for these events comes sooner rather than later.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • racerexiaracerexia Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    Joining the boycott on this, not doing it for a per toon wep I will probably toss into the replicator, and because this was fun for a weekend not for a 14-day event, those suck and kill all other PVE public queues.

Edit. Not shooting the messenger here, you are doing good Kael, I hope they don't fire you for passing our opinion over to your bosses, but they need to know we are not pleased. Thanks.
    I've never minded the longer grind for an Account Unlock. It's the longer grind for Per Character Rewards that takes its toll.
    GrWzQke.png