test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Son'a Dreadnought Promo!

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
The most powerful weapon in the Son'a Fleet is coming to PC!

Full details here:
https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/index

Comments

• benselassem#4731 benselassem Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    No surprise here...
  • johnnyray14#4257 johnnyray14 Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    Can it equip dual cannons?
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Queue whining about it only having 2 tac consoles in 3....2.....1.....
    SulMatuul.png
  • tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    lordsteve1 wrote: »

Wait, it has 2 tac consoles?! I can't DPS in that. :(
    lordsteve1 wrote: »

Wait, it has 2 tac consoles?! I can't DPS in that. :(

Tune we all know you can't DPS anyway without other players carrying you! :p
    SulMatuul.png
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    Patiently waiting for some more cstore ships to be released, rather than this monstrosity bordering on the ridiculous..
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    > @reyan01 said:
    > Hm - a Lt-Cmdr Uni seat that pretty much has to be given to Tactical due to the only pure Tac seat being Lieutenant.....

I'd still probably use that Lt.Cdr Uni as a Sci seat. What's bugging me is the Temporal Uni seat is an Ens....
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    hmm... This caught my attention on the fighters; "Son'a Energy Siphon" how is that different from the regular one? Also: "Thermolytic Absorption " what's that?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • ash352ash352 Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    Also: "Thermolytic Absorption " what's that?

It's the part of the blog that says, "and will passively leech Hull from enemy ships within a short distance of themselves, causing a small amount of Radiation Damage and healing themselves."

Kinda figured this ship would be a thing when I saw it in the Brushfire mission. It's...interesting? Kinda all over the place in terms of design decisions.
  • borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    hmm... This caught my attention on the fighters; "Son'a Energy Siphon" how is that different from the regular one? Also: "Thermolytic Absorption " what's that?

It's described in the blog:

"These extremely nimble small craft are designed for both space and atmospheric assault. Outfitted with Isolytic Plasma weapons, they can also use a limited version of Energy Siphon, and will passively leech Hull from enemy ships within a short distance of themselves, causing a small amount of Radiation Damage and healing themselves."
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • tobiashirttobiashirt Member Posts: 630 Arc User

Both are in the blog...it says in the first paragraph dealing with the fighters that they'll be able to use a less powerful than standard version of siphon, and it also describes a passive radiation damage/self-healing effect. I imagine the siphon will be similar to the breen set bonus, but it is interesting the see hangar pets be given a passive ability, since six copies of the passive could potentially overlap on the same target.
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    Would've been better to make it an Ultra rare ship in the Son'a lockbox so it can join the Vonph and Acheros eventually.

Not interested in these promo packs at all and I'm probably not even going to check the stats. These things are way too expensive, 1/200 chance for a lockbox ship is already bad enough, it certainly is for the more expensive R&D and Doff packs.

You can keep your ship.
  • goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    Star Ships Online strikes again!
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    "Once deployed, the Collector will remain in this mode indefinitely."

This is what caught my eye. Hopefully this will have the same bug as the Kolasi and it'll be fixed at last.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • betanembetanem Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    Man cryptic, the collector wasn't a "ship" and stop it with all these sci ship.
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    I think the Son'a Dreadnought visually is well designed & very appealing & that to me is it's highlight. The BOFFs' & Consoles' layout doesn't appeal to me since the earlier this year's "rebalancing".

Sorry Cryptic I've already been taught a valuable lesson about my STO luck with trying a Keys & Lock Boxes promotion, a R&D Packs promotion, & now the Phoenix Prize Packs twice. All with less than inspiring results. I'm setting this gimmick out, but best of luck to those that try & I hope you win!!!

I'm not going to keep tossing money at STO when you wont even fix my account to where my characters have the same veteran exp. point bonuses. Again, whomever(s) designed the visuals of the ship though well done! If it & the other Son'a ships were Store ships I would have to consider purchasing them, but with other means I've learned my unlucky outcome.
  • kf4tvikf4tvi Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    What a shame. The actors, artists and developers work so hard to create such wonderfully appealing content for a game that has essentially become unplayable for many due to the poorly performing servers. I'm sorry, but at this point they could give those ships away in every box and it wouldn't be enough incentive for me to spend another dime on this game, not until they Fix The Servers!
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    nommo#5819 wrote: »
    I think the Son'a Dreadnought visually is well designed & very appealing & that to me is it's highlight. The BOFFs' & Consoles' layout doesn't appeal to me since the earlier this year's "rebalancing".

Sorry Cryptic I've already been taught a valuable lesson about my STO luck with trying a Keys & Lock Boxes promotion, a R&D Packs promotion, & now the Phoenix Prize Packs twice. All with less than inspiring results. I'm setting this gimmick out, but best of luck to those that try & I hope you win!!!

I'm not going to keep tossing money at STO when you wont even fix my account to where my characters have the same veteran exp. point bonuses. Again, whomever(s) designed the visuals of the ship though well done! If it & the other Son'a ships were Store ships I would have to consider purchasing them, but with other means I've learned my unlucky outcome.

Well said.

In general:

Most ships look great, that's not the problem imo.

The problem is the ridiculously low chances of getting something out of these expensive boxes. If I pay (and I've never had any problem to pay large amounts of money until now) I want to get the product that I'm interested in when buying it, not some very, very small chance to get it. Simple as that. At the very least it's they should finally be transparent about the odds of these boxes. As may be reasonably expected by their customers.

I've never had any problem with opening hundreds of boxes in the past, but I'm done with it as well after thinking about the whole gamble box thing again.
    Creating artificial scarcity of a virtual product by giving your players an one in hundred or even less of a chance to get what they want and then even refuse to share the information needed to make an informed decision, is wrong if you ask me.

It's bad enough that there is no free market at play here. It's just Cryptic controlling the supply because they are the ones who determine the numbers, odds, chances etc with no clear link between real life costs that normally determine scarcity and thus prices and the actual price of the product. And because the whole process lacks any and all sorts of transparency, it may well be that those virtual numbers are changed at will. Maybe not, but there's no way for the playerbase to check on this and that's part of the problem here.

In any other market, the government would have intervened. Imagine a drinking water company creating artificial scarcity by controlling and deliberately surpressing the supply - giving customers a 1 in 200 chance that they'll get drinking water out of their taps.

Of course they're different products and these ships are not vital to human survival, but this little comparison shows how morally wrong the whole thing is - as the underlying principle is actually the same.

Edit: removed double quote.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    This is getting tiresome. Of course the Ferengi will make out like Bandits, opening multitudes of Packs, buying off the Exchange and 'providing' value by reselling them at higher prices. :(
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    Pass i'll give this promo a berth as wide as this

milky-way-width.png

New content and existing PvE rework would be more welcome. Gets a tad boring flying the same ISA and CCA (cause they are the only stf's popping since the new dark times, since the rebalance) in a different ship.
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    I guess Cryptic used up all the good ships and now we're sticking an engine on what was just a satellite...
  • artrineiousartrineious Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    at 300 zen per pack welcome to lock box online please log in and let rng take you in to the back room and remember this trip might contain a bottle of lube at a 000000.2 percent drop rate.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    1.) Feels a little early to be announcing this promotion 3 days before it goes live. Hoping to bank on people not paying attention and buying packs pre-maturely?

2.) Is this why the Son'a Battlecruiser doesn't have a hangar despite their NPC counterpart constantly launching fighters?
  • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    Another RNG money pit. Pass been burned way to many times to play that game again.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    I currently have around 12000 zen saved and I would rather wait for the next possible c-store ships than try my luck for this promo ship which I have no interest in.
    Post edited by avoozuul on
    I've only ever opened promo boxes once, and managed to win a T6 Connie. But I would never consider doing it again. I had some spare EC sitting about, saw a few boxes cheap on the Ex and though why not.
    But were it not for that ship popping out that was a massive waste of EC and i fully realise that. At least with the lockboxes you get Lobi, so eventually you could buy a nice ship or some gear, the R&D boxes offer little of comparable value. Consider that you can get just as many R&D resources just by playing the game there's really no comparison.

Phoenix box is much better because at least you get those nice upgrades as a token reward, and there is a nice selection of stuff in the pack depending on your token. Probably better for newbies but still good for oldies for the aforementioned upgrades.
    SulMatuul.png
  • goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    Why would they put THIS SHIP in an R&D Promo box? A T6 Vor'cha or T6 Nova I could see, but this thing?
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Nothing wrong with ever more science ships.

Dreadnought Sci however, I'll pass on, especially since these packs went infinity making their price above a billion and super rare, combined with massive player/gambler drop meaning they're even more rare than ever with demand still at 'everyone wants it.'

Got an Annorax and Paradox, and can't say I enjoy them as much as regular science ships because of how much has to be sacrificed to overcome their low turn rates. Sure, it's nice and different to suddenly be tanky or have the option of energy damage build with cannons or hybrid instead of pure space magic, but personally it wasn't worth the price tag, and the eternal problem of "ISA/CCA" and empty queues that are entirely repetitive - you gotta have Way More end-game content and unpredictable scenarios to justify the set rarity of some of these things, and overall costs and time that go into everything, or risk losing your player base, as is already the case.

This one's stats also seem off: Ens Temporal? 1.25 shield mod? No cannons on a dreadnought? No built-in lance? Another sci without built in cloak? Pets that don't build entropy? Even slower movement with sails deployed? Not a specialty ship again (while the Valkis gets uber-dreadnought cruiser carrier full temporal mixed spec status with battle cloak & built in lance)?

T6 Vor'cha or Nova belong in the C-Store.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I guess Cryptic used up all the good ships and now we're sticking an engine on what was just a satellite...
    Do we know that for sure? We saw so little of the thing in Insurrection that's it's hard to say much of anything about it. We do know that:
    1: it's HUGE, the Ent-E was tiny in comparison
    2: it had an internal power core of some sort
    3: it had shields
    4: it had internal lifesupport
    5: it had a structure analogous to a bridge.

We didn't:
    1: see any crew stationed on board(it's possible this was a safety precaution)
    2: see or hear anyone discuss how it got into position(yes it was mentioned that the Son'a built it, but not where)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg