test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Where is all the chat in game?

humatrop#1148 humatrop Member Posts: 41 Arc User
Most MMOs I have played in the past I have always found a chat channel that has constant stream of chat. No matter what location or channel(zone, local) I choose there is little or no chat. Can someone please tell me if perhaps my settings are not correct or another channel to select where you can see constant chat at any location in game? Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Zone chat is only really busy in Earth Space Dock or other 'social hubs.' Out in Sector Space it can be a bit quiet.

Part of the reason is because most players have learned to turn off Zone Chat due to the fact that there are no rules of conduct like there are in other MMO's. Zone Chat in Star Trek Online tends to be filled with hateful speech that most players opt not to read or take part in so they simply turn it off, at least on the PC version. I'm not sure what it's like on Console.

I know personally, I have Zone Chat turned off all the time, there is just nothing in Zone worth reading.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    you for explaining seaofsorrows. I was just hoping there was a general channel where you could ask questions, trade, etc.. I guess the forum Academy is the best. Appreciate you helping a new players.
  • Options
    arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    There are channels specifically devoted to trade etc. I couldn't tell you what they are called as I have never needed to use them. The best thing I have found for anything other than trade is to find and join a good and active Fleet such as the one I'm in (blatant plug there lol). There is almost always someone on for questions or advice, and if they aren't in the game, I can usually find them on TS and there's always the Fleet web site if there's no rush.

Also, although zone chat might be quiet, that doesn't mean no one is there. Other than in the social zones zone chat stays pretty quiet unless someone asks for help or something. I personally keep zone chat turned on but in it's own separate chat window. Easy to ignore while playing, but also there because mixed in with all the politics/religion/general stupid stuff is the occasional actual interesting stuff and/or newer players asking for help in the only place they know of to ask.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • Options
    I appreciate your kindness Arionisa. I love the game but there is so Much
    to learn
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    If you end up joining a fleet, they have their own social channels as well. I have found that to be the best place in STO to socialize with other players.

If you have any other questions or need anything else, please feel free to ask. Welcome to Star Trek Online! :)
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    redspecter23redspecter23 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    If you're on a brand new account you will be locked out of seeing any zone chat for a period of time. I'm not sure exactly how long. There is also a lockout on mailing items and perhaps a few other things likely intended to stop bots and spammer. If you're actually seeing no zone chat at all, this is likely the issue.
  • Options
    benselassem#4731 benselassem Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    You're locked out of posting in, not seeing zone as a new f2p account. You can read zone right from the start.
  • Options
    grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    The chat is basically just for trolls looks for suckers. I keep my chat window closed at all times. If i do open it and need assistance i have the reddit channel on. Nice people there who will help you. The rest of the chat is for drama queens and people feeding trolls
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    General zone chat varies by time of day and what part of the world is more active at that time.

Post US elections a lot of people gave up on zone entirely as it was easier than flooding the ignore list with names of folk spouting off in one form or another.

Console chat is generally much quieter due to lack of keyboard.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    NoP Public Service is pretty active. (So active, I sometimes find it hard to get my doffing done.) :D It has some rules, like 'no selling', but the people there are generally sane.
    Stowiki has a long list: [click here]
  • Options
    ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    NoP Public Service is pretty active. (So active, I sometimes find it hard to get my doffing done.) :D It has some rules, like 'no selling', but the people there are generally sane.
    Stowiki has a long list: [click here]

Indeed, the NoP Public Service channel can be a good alternative to the cesspool that Zone Chat has turned into.