test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How about adding Ships as separate category on the Exchange. I went to look at ships and decided to look for the Herald Vonph, except I forgot how it was spelled and I searched for Herald and I got lots of Herald Kits instead.

Comments

• indysharkindyshark Member Posts: 1,543 Arc User
    I like this idea and agree! I'd love to see a web page that lists the latest cost for each ship on the exchange.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    taehsong wrote: »
    How about adding Ships as separate category on the Exchange. I went to look at ships and decided to look for the Herald Vonph, except I forgot how it was spelled and I searched for Herald and I got lots of Herald Kits instead.

Problem is, there are technically no ships on the Exchange: only packed ships, in Reward Packs. Granted, these could be put into a separate category too, of course.

While we're at it, please add a 'Usable only' check box to C-Store ships: there's absolutely no point in showing all ships my Captain can't fly.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • postinggumpostinggum Member Posts: 1,117 Arc User
    When searching for expensive stuff try 'descending price' and go downward for the bargains. Also try typing some of the name like 'dread' will bring uo dreadnaughts, of which the vonph should be amongst the cheapest.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    I have this problem whenever I decide to get a new lockbox or lobi ship -- is it Olean or Olaen!?

You can always check the wiki (expand the ship list at bottom of page) - https://sto.gamepedia.com/Tholian_Widow_Fighter
  • arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    taehsong wrote: »

Problem is, there are technically no ships on the Exchange: only packed ships, in Reward Packs. Granted, these could be put into a separate category too, of course.

While we're at it, please add a 'Usable only' check box to C-Store ships: there's absolutely no point in showing all ships my Captain can't fly.

Both ideas are great. Finding just the right keyword(s) to use in the exchange (and not just looking for ships) can be quite a pain sometimes and unless you're a Fed, browsing through the C-store ships to find which ones you can actually use is no fun either.

LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    There is a single character you can use to search the exchange for any of the current endgame ships that are tradable. Like druk said above me you'll get better at finding what works for you to find stuff.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    Click on the "reward packs" tab, and set your sorting slider to "ascending price per unit", your rank slider to"rear admiral, lower half and your quality slider to"very rare". You will see a list of all the ships available, from T5 to T6. This list can then be modified by typing in "Herald", or "Son'a" or whatever ship you're after.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Subcategories for "reward packs" would be mildly useful, but in practice you'd still have to know the correct keyword to search for to find a Vonph or an Olaen or whatever you want. If you just did a search for ships in general, it would be full of mirror ships.

There are still tradeable items in the game that don't belong to ANY category at all in the exchange...so, priorities.
  • postinggumpostinggum Member Posts: 1,117 Arc User
    Simply searching for t6 is a good start
  • tacticalrooktacticalrook Member Posts: 810 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    There are still tradeable items in the game that don't belong to ANY category at all in the exchange...so, priorities.

Then there's the category that seems to have been scrapped before it was even added, never having had items added to it. Remaining empty and abandoned, forever.
    /channel_join grind
    szim wrote: »
    Click on the "reward packs" tab, and set your sorting slider to "ascending price per unit", your rank slider to"rear admiral, lower half and your quality slider to"very rare". You will see a list of all the ships available, from T5 to T6. This list can then be modified by typing in "Herald", or "Son'a" or whatever ship you're after.

I will admit that's it's been a small while since I looked for a ship on the exchange, however, the last time I did, trying that would definitely not show you all the ships, it would only show you the first 400 ships that ranged in price from @3Mec to @7Mec. The same search in descending order instead would show you all the ships from the then max of 500M down to @200M. The only way to see any of the ships priced between 7m and 200M was to get creative with your search terms. I literally spent almost an hour searching for "Special requisition pack - a" perusing the list and writing down the name an price of anything interesting, then "Special requisition pack - b" and doing the same, a separate search for every letter of the alphabet, multiplied by the fact that there were enough Mirror ships that searching for "m" both ascending and descending still left a large price gap that would not show, so I also had to do "Special requisition pack - mirror universe a" etc etc. Sad part is that after doing all that I decided to save my EC and not buy a ship after all.......

LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • autumnwind34autumnwind34 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    Just search "special requisition" and you will get all of the ships
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    All? ships start with "Special Requisition" and that's how I look for them. OR [t6] if you want to see all the tier 6 ships. OR 'Tier' if you want to see the TOS T6 ones. Easy! :|
    arionisa wrote: »

I will admit that's it's been a small while since I looked for a ship on the exchange, however, the last time I did, trying that would definitely not show you all the ships, it would only show you the first 400 ships that ranged in price from @3Mec to @7Mec. The same search in descending order instead would show you all the ships from the then max of 500M down to @200M. The only way to see any of the ships priced between 7m and 200M was to get creative with your search terms. I literally spent almost an hour searching for "Special requisition pack - a" perusing the list and writing down the name an price of anything interesting, then "Special requisition pack - b" and doing the same, a separate search for every letter of the alphabet, multiplied by the fact that there were enough Mirror ships that searching for "m" both ascending and descending still left a large price gap that would not show, so I also had to do "Special requisition pack - mirror universe a" etc etc. Sad part is that after doing all that I decided to save my EC and not buy a ship after all.......
    Wouldn't it be easier to just look up the ship(s) you want on the wiki and searching by name?
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    T6 will do it as Crpytic has been anal about adding that to Ship names. You'll find the Vonph right away. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    The exchange needs a general overhaul, and by that I mean that they need to remove it, and start from scratch.

Apart from issues with the current filtering system, the default search could use something as a simple REGEX comparing what you've written to words that are reasonably similar... Say... faser is like Phaser.

Most would that those two words are similar enough to yield a result in a text search, yet removing the F, would yeild a result, but is actually significantly more dissimilar than WITH the F (the extra letter brings it closer).

I am not saying the need to go all google here, but really... Comparing two words isn't that hard from a programming standpoint.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    anazonda wrote: »
    The exchange needs a general overhaul, and by that I mean that they need to remove it, and start from scratch.

Apart from issues with the current filtering system, the default search could use something as a simple REGEX comparing what you've written to words that are reasonably similar... Say... faser is like Phaser.

Most would that those two words are similar enough to yield a result in a text search, yet removing the F, would yeild a result, but is actually significantly more dissimilar than WITH the F (the extra letter brings it closer).

I am not saying the need to go all google here, but really... Comparing two words isn't that hard from a programming standpoint.

The term you're looking for is SOUNDEX, not REGEX. :) Although the latter (REGular EXpressions) is really what the Exchange needs. Like I want to search on 'Disruptor.*\[CrtD\]x4' or something.
    3lsZz0w.jpg

Wouldn't it be easier to just look up the ship(s) you want on the wiki and searching by name?

If I had been looking for a particular ship, I would have just typed in the name......I thought the fact that I actually said that I wrote down both the name and price of anything I found interesting would make it obvious that I had no particular ship in mind.
    I had a bit over 100M ec to spare and wanted to see what kind of ship I might be able to get. Everything from 7M and below, which is all the exchange would show when sorted by ascending, I either already had or had no interest in owning, sorting by descending would only show ships at 200M and above. Finding what all ships were selling between 7M the exchange would show me, and the 100M I had to spend was a real pain in the tookus.

LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png

If I had been looking for a particular ship, I would have just typed in the name......I thought the fact that I actually said that I wrote down both the name and price of anything I found interesting would make it obvious that I had no particular ship in mind.
    I had a bit over 100M ec to spare and wanted to see what kind of ship I might be able to get. Everything from 7M and below, which is all the exchange would show when sorted by ascending, I either already had or had no interest in owning, sorting by descending would only show ships at 200M and above. Finding what all ships were selling between 7M the exchange would show me, and the 100M I had to spend was a real pain in the tookus.
    The lockbox "consolation prize" ships are blue so you can filter those out simply by setting it to show Very Rare. And, as others have mentioned, the keyword "T6" is also useful.

But it's still be faster to search for each ship in turn instead of scrolling through a list of all of them. The only T6's that could be under 100m (without some seller typing too few 0's by accident) are the Vonph and Acheros anyway.
    Yeah, I did the easy search for "T6". Thing is, especially when it's only EC and I have some to spare, I don't limit myself to T6s. Ive had a number of T5/T5U ships that are extremely fun to fly and more than capable of handling this games content. Heck, if you look at my siggy, I even forked out Zen to buy a T5 ship pack even though I have a number of T6s.

Anyway, this is getting way off course of what this topic is really about, which is the fact that the exchanges design makes it quite difficult for the average newer player to find ships on the exchange unless they have an exact ship in mind. Plus the 400 item limit means that any items, not just ships, with more than 800 entries in the exchange prevents any but the cheapest 400 and the most expensive 400 from showing up unless the player gets creative in their search criteria.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    funny, had the same problem way back... simply typed in T6 (or T5 at that time) and it showed me a list of ships, where on the first page I found the ship I was looking up...typed the correct name in and got only that specific ship.
    Another option would be to look it up on google, copy the name and do it that way. Done that too.

I know finding something on the exchang can be a pain sometimes, but there are many ways around that make the proposed changes unnecessary in my opinion.
    Go pro or go home