test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

LeVar Burton, Season 14, and more details from our STLV Panel!

Comments

• aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    Dominion versus Kelvin Empire! No, not the Kelvin Universe Dominion, the Andromeda Kelvin!
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    We're on station; unmasking for a peek...

It will in the first be interesting to see how the writers develop the Lukari and Kentari's attempts to coexist (while comparisons can be made to Germany immediately after its reunification, we do have the in-universe example of the Romulans (specifically, the Romulan Republic). Colonization of a new world is going to be challenging, of course, even with the assistance of LaForge and (I suspect) the Starfleet Corps of Engineers along with its KDF and RRN counterparts, without the Tzenkethi inviting themselves to the party (reference). "But why," comes the obvious question, "are the Tzenkethi here?" The mystery crystals are a possible reason - but they're something that would've been checked for ahead of time, would they not? Or are the Tzenkethi after the Lukari's protomatter technology (reference)? Whatever the explanation, I understand it'll be giving us the long-awaited opportunity to face the Tzenkethi dirtside... given the effort put into designing them and their equipment, it would've been a shame for this to not happen.

Among the many pieces of advice offered by Sun Tzu in his famous work is that "one cartload of the enemy's provisions is equivalent to twenty of one's own, and likewise a single picul of his provender is equivalent to twenty from one's own store." Will we be seeing this applied to the Tzenkethi's equipment? Examples follow:
    • gravity drones - seems to act like the paradox bomb ability in terms of pulling enemies in an area around them. This appears to be a 'pulse' ability triggered on a regular basis while the drone is active;
    • cloak drone - like the Protoss Arbiters, these conceal allies in their vicinity (also mirroring the Son'a isolation field generator);
    • power pack - this device occasionally separates from downed Tzenkethi and can render a single ally invulnerable as long as it is functional, similar to the Na'kuhl distortion abilities. A reverse-engineered version would, I imagine, be either a device... or part of a new ground set armor...
    • tetryon torpedoes - similar in principle to the Nausicaan set and CE torpedoes;
    • shield repair drones - not the carrier pets; these are the smaller ones Tzenkethi battleships (and, I think, dreadnoughts, can summon.

And there will, naturally, be much speculation about what the new fleet holding will offer.

Short form: sounds promising; further surveillance is warranted.
  • christopher082christopher082 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    I just hope that: A the galaxy interior is made available for sale and B that Cryptic has accounted for us that own all the Galaxy ships already.
  • thomaselkinsthomaselkins Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    I wonder if the Galaxy Interior will have variations? I would like the Generations interior for example, with the two stations added to each wall. At the very least I would hope there is a 2410 variant with the blue LCARs, just like the Voyager interior. I always liked the Nemesis blue LCARs.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    Definitely impressed to see more noteworthy actors reprise their roles from the various series in the game. Will the Galaxy interior also come with an AGT variant, like how the T6 Intrepid bundle came with two variations of the interior? Can we also have a Future Imperfect variant as well? If all three versions of the Enterprise D interior are sold as a bundle, you will get my money as soon as it goes on sale!

My thanks to the current STO EP, @salamiinferno, for the superb job he is doing and the direction STO is headed in! Keep up the awesome work!
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Hey, where's there's a Geordi... there is a Wesley :) or Data. /shrug
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    Well, the skant is coming! If it's in a giveaway I'll definitely be grabbing! Hey, I know I said it wasn't my thing, but it might still be a thing for some captain/BOFF.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    Redone Galaxy interior? I am interested as a long-time Galaxy fan. The preview images of the colony remind me of the Human architecture from Halo, which I've always though looked like something you'd see in Star Trek.

I'm curious about the Type 7 Shuttle, though. Wasn't the Type 6 more prominent in TNG?
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • carguy1701#7145 carguy1701 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    tigeraries wrote: »
    Nice but I still miss the visor... So Nexus huh? Shatner out of the question?
    Probably. Kirk has been dead in-universe for nearly 40 years at this point (assuming Picard told anyone about what happened), plus I doubt Cryptic could afford to pay whatever he charges. Then again, he did a couple games for Bethesda...
    I wonder if the Galaxy Interior will have variations? I would like the Generations interior for example, with the two stations added to each wall. At the very least I would hope there is a 2410 variant with the blue LCARs, just like the Voyager interior. I always liked the Nemesis blue LCARs.

Was hoping this as well. Love the Generations bridge.
    edited August 2017
    Nice to see La Forge, even if I wasn't expecting him (was expecting Frakes or Spiner since they were mentioned a few years ago). Definitely excited about about a proper Galaxy interior, even if the Generations bridge isn't included (yet). New season and mission look good, and I'm definitely curious about the Jem'Hadar showing up next summer (incidentally, based on the release schedule Cryptic seems to adhere to, it would mean that we've got 3-4 more missions in the Tzenkethi arc).

I know I'm gonna get flack for this, but I'll come out and say it: I'm not a fan of the skant, and I'm not really looking forward to seeing it, if only because I thought it looked stupid then (first saw TNG when I was 4 or so) and time hasn't changed that opinion. The uniform color scheme didn't suit it at all).
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I'm excited for all this. Looks great!

When they introduced the Voyager interior you could get it with just one ship on a limited time sale. However, all the Galaxy ships are already out. I hope they sell it by itself. Looking forward to that very much.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @darthmeow504 said:
    > I never liked the Galaxy, never ever either inside or outside. Not that my opinion matters, of course, but I wanted that out there so it was known I'm not just praising this out of fanboyism or favoritism.
    >
    > In objective terms, the Galaxy class is a massively important piece of Trek history that anchors an entire era many consider the best of Trek, and the interior sets were the backdrop for a huge number of classic and beloved stories. Thus, it is really, Really, REALLY good that the developers are doing it justice and giving the fans what
    they want. The work is beautiful (as I've come to expect of the art team in recent years), and a lot of fans are going to be very, very happy.
    >
    > In this, they are doing exactly what I have suggested in the past about finding story reasons to make iconic locations including important classic ship interiors that were

the foundations of major series. It's a win-win-win, the development team gets to get the greenlight to fill in these important parts of the setting thanks to putting stories there, they get a tie-in to an important anniversary date to market around, they get to sell the interior set to fans who want it for their own Galaxy ships, and the Foundry gets them to so even more stories can be set there.
    >
    > I could say the same thing about DS9, which I like even less than I do the Galaxy. A great many others disagree and will be happy to get new and improved versions of their favorite things from that series. This will be a great addition to the game for all the same reasons I listed above.
    >
    > All around, this is a great announcement that will make a whole lot of people just as happy as I was when I got a nice big hit of my TOS fix with Agents of Yesterday. It's their turn, and I'm happy for them. :)​​

I like your share the joy attidude.
  • inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 3,933 Arc User
    The new Lukari/Kentari colony & fleet holding looks like a possible new 'adventure zone' like New Romulus, Nimbus III, Kobali Prime, Nukara and Defera before it. Each was unique in its' own way but the challenge to build another colony but keep it different from New Romulus might leave it feeling 'samey', which I really don't think anyone wants.

As for this incoming Jem'Hadar fleet, I'm hoping this does indeed open up the Gamma Quadrant to a bit of exploration. I miss visiting the wormhole to rescue the Rapier, and this would be a chance to revamp some of the missions that were removed from the old Cardassian/Dominion storyline.

As for those that are asking for a revamp of the current storyline - it just had one, not long ago.
    Unless y'all are referring to the '2800 Returns' featured series we got with season 5? If so, I don't see what's wrong with it...
    Well, having mission rewards upgradable to XII for free would bring them in line with the current style of rewards.

Please, though, stop making the generic rewards character bound on pickup and return to making them account bound or bind on equip. I can understand set-pieces, or special items being character bound, but regular items don't need this.
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    I saw a DS9 revamp. At least it looks superior to what I see currently when I play. What of the interior for the station, one queries? :)
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    A proper TNG Galaxy interior.....My friends...we've come home.

Geordi was always my top guy on TNG, so Levar Burton joining in is spectacular news. Can't wait to see the Challenger, my main actually served with him on that ship.

The skants, perfect. That just about completes the TNG uniform collection.

One thing I'm wondering, with Geordi's addition, are we going to get his Ocular implant eyes for out captains and crew?

HELL YES THE SKANT IS COMING TO STO!!!

I never liked it personally, but hot damn was it a progressive statement and it's exactly the kind of thing Star Trek was meant to say. Envelopes need to be pushed and arbitrary social and cultural restrictions like strict gender roles need to be challenged so that there are more options for personal choice available to everyone. The uncomfortable feeling many have looking at it is our minds being opened and expanded and the kruft of pointlessly restrictive and baseless social and cultural programming being chipped away. This is a good thing. The same reason its awkward is the reason we so very much need to be exposed to it and get used to it and get over our silly objections, exactly the way people in the 60s had to get used to the sight and concept of people of different races and backgrounds working together in harmony and equality.

That said, that uniform also came in a female variant which was also rarely seen past the first handful of episodes. It was beautiful, in my opinion, can we possibly have that as well so the ladies aren't left out of the new wardrobe party? Pleeeease?​​

Agreed.

I'm most certainly looking forward to the skant for my female characters, Troi's skant was outstanding.

I never liked the Galaxy, never ever either inside or outside. Not that my opinion matters, of course, but I wanted that out there so it was known I'm not just praising this out of fanboyism or favoritism.

In objective terms, the Galaxy class is a massively important piece of Trek history that anchors an entire era many consider the best of Trek, and the interior sets were the backdrop for a huge number of classic and beloved stories. Thus, it is really, Really, REALLY good that the developers are doing it justice and giving the fans what they want. The work is beautiful (as I've come to expect of the art team in recent years), and a lot of fans are going to be very, very happy.

In this, they are doing exactly what I have suggested in the past about finding story reasons to make iconic locations including important classic ship interiors that were the foundations of major series. It's a win-win-win, the development team gets to get the greenlight to fill in these important parts of the setting thanks to putting stories there, they get a tie-in to an important anniversary date to market around, they get to sell the interior set to fans who want it for their own Galaxy ships, and the Foundry gets them to so even more stories can be set there.

I could say the same thing about DS9, which I like even less than I do the Galaxy. A great many others disagree and will be happy to get new and improved versions of their favorite things from that series. This will be a great addition to the game for all the same reasons I listed above.

All around, this is a great announcement that will make a whole lot of people just as happy as I was when I got a nice big hit of my TOS fix with Agents of Yesterday. It's their turn, and I'm happy for them. :)​​

Well...that's fair. I admire your honesty.

The more I've thought on DS9 the more I think they should design a new version, a hybrid Starfleet-Cardassian design (not exactly the new one from the novelverse), something to step up the grandness.

But absolutely this in story justification in addition to the celebration of this wonderful 30th anniversary is an outstanding intersection of fanbase desire, dev wish granting, and proper planning.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • soultraincohsoultraincoh Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    tigeraries wrote: »
    Nice but I still miss the visor... So Nexus huh? Shatner out of the question?
    Probably. Kirk has been dead in-universe for nearly 40 years at this point (assuming Picard told anyone about what happened), plus I doubt Cryptic could afford to pay whatever he charges. Then again, he did a couple games for Bethesda...

Well if you REALLY need your daily dose of Shatner, you could always get the voice pack he did for Voice Attack, and set him up as your ship's computer. I think it's, what, ten bucks for VA license and another twenty for Denny Crane-as-AI?

(I went for a different sci-fi series, my comp is Kerr Avon).

• darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    aten66 wrote: »
    Dominion versus Kelvin Empire! No, not the Kelvin Universe Dominion, the Andromeda Kelvin!

Those are the Kelvans...not Kelvin. BTW Should they call this new season S14: Moar War or S14: Will we ever find out about those darn crystals.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • pino31pino31 Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    LEVAR! I just crapped my pants! THOSE NEW GALAXY SETS! I JUST....well maybe I shouldn't say here...

YOU BETTER SELL THEM! (Or let us earn them in game that'd be best! but since the voyager sets aren't free...)

HEAR ME NOW...

YOU. BETTER. SELL THEM!

I WANT THOSE GALAXY SETS! NOT JOKING YOU BETTER SELL THEM!!

CAN'T WAIT to see the new content!!! ON MY NEW GALAXY SETS. YOU BETTER SELL THEM!!!
  • chozoelder2ndchozoelder2nd Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    The announcements had me ecstatic when I saw them earlier this afternoon. TNG was my introduction to Trek. I can't wait.
    I'm excited for all this. Looks great!

When they introduced the Voyager interior you could get it with just one ship on a limited time sale. However, all the Galaxy ships are already out. I hope they sell it by itself. Looking forward to that very much.

I'm concerned with this as well. I own every Galaxy variant except the Yamato. Really hoping the interior is sold separately.
    SP9Pu.gif
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    The new Lukari/Kentari colony & fleet holding looks like a possible new 'adventure zone' like New Romulus, Nimbus III, Kobali Prime, Nukara and Defera before it. Each was unique in its' own way but the challenge to build another colony but keep it different from New Romulus might leave it feeling 'samey', which I really don't think anyone wants.

As for this incoming Jem'Hadar fleet, I'm hoping this does indeed open up the Gamma Quadrant to a bit of exploration. I miss visiting the wormhole to rescue the Rapier, and this would be a chance to revamp some of the missions that were removed from the old Cardassian/Dominion storyline.

As for those that are asking for a revamp of the current storyline - it just had one, not long ago.
    Unless y'all are referring to the '2800 Returns' featured series we got with season 5? If so, I don't see what's wrong with it...
    Well, having mission rewards upgradable to XII for free would bring them in line with the current style of rewards.

Please, though, stop making the generic rewards character bound on pickup and return to making them account bound or bind on equip. I can understand set-pieces, or special items being character bound, but regular items don't need this.

They're likely referring to the 2800 series, which is pretty out of date compared to the rest of the content. I'll give examples episode by episode.

- Second Wave: As a Romulan, you're forced to fall into either the Feds or Klingons for whom you're dealing with during the mission. Romulans aren't even at the conference (since this pre-dates New Romulus).
    - Of Bajor: More treatment as a Federation or Klingon character.
    - Operation Gamma: Most just find this bad because you're in a shuttle the whole mission, but you're also getting either a Fed officer or Klingon Officer with you, piloting the shuttle.
    - Facility 4028: you're asked to speak to one of two prisoners, depending on your allie faction, before you're taken to the founder.
    - Bodely the Rode: Essentially Fed focused, as the Federation flagship is introduced here. No treatment is ever done for the Bortasqu' like this, nor does the Lleiset comes in to assist (even though we know it exists).

Just some acknowledgement of the Romulan Republic would be nice.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • knightnbluknightnblu Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    Why is La Forge in a tactical uniform? He's an engineer and his uniform should show that.
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,983 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    This is kinda skimpy compared to this announcement:

http://www.startrek.com/article/levar-burton-to-voice-captain-la-forge

Also it appears we get to purchase the Galaxy interior, I don't see that mentioned in this STO Blog.

Wonder how much of the rest will end up in a lockbox?

STO Blog appears to be leaving the acquirement details out.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Going back to the colors they way they should be from TOS. :)

Unless there is a T7 Galaxy Bundle they have nothing to get the new interior out except add it to an upgraded Galaxy Bundle allowing separate upgrade purchase if you already have the thing or

provide it to all their loyal fans for FREE if you have a Galaxy any Galaxy.

God, I hope that the Lukari/Kentari do not have to be admonished by us to do work around the Colony like those lazy good for nothing Romulans. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    We're going back to the colors like they should be from TOS.

Unless there is a T7 Galaxy Bundle they have nothing to get the new interior out except add it to an upgraded Galaxy Bundle allowing separate upgrade purchase if you already have the thing or

Provide it to all their loyal fans for FREE if you have a Galaxy any Galaxy.

God, I hope that the Lukari/Kentari do not have to be admonished by us to do work around the Colony like those lazy good for nothing Romulans. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns