test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Wow, the Foundry censored a number as profane

I actually found it funny in a way. I was crafting a story and a character mentions how hot it is on a certain planet. The foundry editor said I had used profane words. I deleted the word "Celsius" and it still said there was something profane. So I deleted "45.5" and wrote the numbers out instead.

If there is a profane usage for 45.5 I'm not sure I know what it is.

Comments

• Options
    zebgodwinzebgodwin Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    Hm... Did you try changing the number to 45.6 just to see what would happen?

I've dealt with some overzealous profanity filters before (including one that disallowed the word "Saturday") but this is a new one for me. Google turns up nothing.
    Foundry Missions by @zebgodwin
    Trouble in Trimble: An illicit Reman colony is under attack by Orion pirates. Will you defend the colony or arrest its only defender?
    Paying the Price: You must protect an uncontacted pre-warp civilization from Orion slavers, without violating the Prime Directive.
    The Mirror of Infinity: To save your ship, you must convince the descendants of the crew of the long-lost USS Infinity to work with their mortal enemies - their Mirror Universe counterparts. Part of the USS Infinity Foundry Roundtable Challenge.
    The Tholian Tempest: A rescue mission on a Y-class world leaves the away team stranded inside a Shakespeare play while under attack by Tholians and Gorn.
    The Trafalgar Paradox: A mission to locate a missing Starfleet vessel leads the away team into a mind-bending temporal paradox.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    Did you try to reproduce this profanity filter message in another text box? I've never had text flagged for numbers. It could be a glitch, or it could be something going on with 45.5 in context. The filter scans text without spaces. Take a look at the adjoining words and see if you can spell anything out with the letters in sequence.

If 45.5 is a problem, then it might be because not considernig the . it might be flagged as a work around to "TRIBBLE."
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    rancidmojo#7824 rancidmojo Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    Did you try to reproduce this profanity filter message in another text box? I've never had text flagged for numbers. It could be a glitch, or it could be something going on with 45.5 in context. The filter scans text without spaces. Take a look at the adjoining words and see if you can spell anything out with the letters in sequence.

If 45.5 is a problem, then it might be because not considernig the . it might be flagged as a work around to "****."

I didn't try any of the suggestions, though I should have. I just wrote the number out and that seemed to work. I just found it mildly amusing.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,265 Arc User
    Automatic profanity filters are a pain to deal with. Either they filter "innocent" words because the programmers were too prudish or simply programmed the thing to be overzealous, or the thing is so easy to bypass that it's next to useless. I've never seen an automatic text filter that actually worked properly.

That's why disable such things when I can (using pre-programmed means that is), I'm old enough that I don't need anyone to tell me what I can or can't see and I'm also old enough that I don't have to use naughty words to look cool, so those filters end up just being annoying.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    there are some truly ridiculous things in the filter. like 312.... if you write it out in ten digit binary it looks like a rude gesture. Yes, it's THAT arcane.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,665 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    455 is a dirty word in 1331 speak. It stands for a followed by two s. The period could have been seen as a bypass for that. Yeah...I am ashamed I know that.

Guess Ned Flanders programmed it. :o
    dvZq2Aj.jpg