test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

J.G. Hertzler Joins the Cast of Star Trek Online

Comments

• raahzielraahziel Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    I had to log in just to post how awesome this is! Seriously I love seeing all of the old show actors but Martok is one of the best! J.G is a good man and this is awesome awesome news for us KDF folk out there! Qapla!
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    I definitely think this should have been kept secret until the mission was released, it would have been an incredible surprise. But I'm certainly excited by this news!
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    captaind3 wrote: »
    Martok...lives? I never would've believed...the rightful chancellor still draws breath? And held captive by that gutless pa'taQ Torg?

:s

RAISE THE BATTLE BANNERS!

BREAK OUT THE BLOODWINE!

SHARPEN THE BLADES!

LOAD THE TORPEDOES!

ENGAAAAGE THE CLOAKING DEVICE!

KLINGOOOOOOONS!!!!

To Battle!!!

We will free Martok, he will release the blood from Torg's throat...and then we will deal with J'mpok.

I will not rest until we take this baktag here! Put him in that Torpedo There! And launch him into that star THERE!

Forget the cloaking device, I want that pe'taQ to SEE me coming. So he knows Death has come for him at last.
  • blazeritterblazeritter Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    captaind3 wrote: »
    I will not rest until we take this baktag here! Put him in that Torpedo There! And launch him into that star THERE!

You know what's great about you, puddin'? You really put the "fun" in "funeral."

Well, that was fun. Who's for Chinese?
  • rahhmirahhmi Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    head is too wide, eye scale too large. Get jing to fix it if no one else will
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    rahhmi wrote: »

not just those; forehead ridges are off, nose is off, skin color is WAY off​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    rahhmi wrote: »

not just those; forehead ridges are off, nose is off, skin color is WAY off​​

It is entirely possible what we are seeing is not the final product. So some things might be changed to look better.

As for as the skin tone goes, that could also be the different lighting. Since the tv screen seems to be darker overall to the game screen.
  • irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    Forget Martok, I want that hair for my Klingons :)
  • kdawgenigmakdawgenigma Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    I spoke to Hertzler at a convention a few years ago about Martok in STO. He was none too please to learn his character was "killed". Extremely pleasant individual to talk with. Got a picture with him in Martok make up with Gowron.

-Rule of Acquisition #113: Always have sex with the boss.
    -I am one of the many victims from the hijacked Caspian Division.
    I will not let the childish acts of a criminal ruin this game for me.
    -The actions of Cryptic, on the other hand......
  • xariamaxariama Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    This is about to get real...
    Lane Bjorn Jorgensson, Captain, ISS Voltaire

Here's a map to show how much they've screwed up the game map.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    WOW! This is about the best thing you could do for the Klingons. Oh yeah... You're going to make him a Fed muppet! I hope there is some back story and other missions he can be added and voiced to. This man illustrated brilliantly what a Klingon should aspire to be in his role in DS9.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Oh I see some trouble in the Empire. J'mpok claimed to have killed Martok, thus becoming Chancellor himself. Now we find out Martok is ALIVE. Does that mean Martok is still Chancellor and J'mpok will get a bat'leth at his throat?

If Martok was held near the Ba'ku planet somehow... Metaphasic Radiation after 20 years will have had an effect. And my Fed Trill will be honored to help free him. May not be the Enterprise or the Defiant doing the deed, but... Lexington's still a good ship.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    Wow cryptic just wow i really dont know what else to say except maybe THANK YOU!! martok was one of my fav DS9 characters :)
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    Great :)

Always wondered what happened behind closed doors and without witnesses which J'Mpok said was the battle for chancellorship. IIRC it was even explicitly stated that there was no body of Martok too after that alleged fight.
  • mingtran2mingtran2 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    I got a Theory on how Martok survived.

We know that it is pretty easy for someone to change the appearance of a humanoid in Star Trek canon. So maybe sometime before J'mpok had his duel with "Martok", Torg somehow kidnapped Martok and replaced him with an Agent under his control that was made to look like Martok (It seem like Martok is very unlucky in that area).

You may ask why Torg didn't simply kill Martok, well if you look at Klingon Standards it is a great dishonor to be taken Prisoner instead of Death, and if you look at the early KDF episodes the fact Trog made his first move against the House of Martok that resulted in the Death of his Grandson (Aswell as the Firstborn Son of his Best Friend) it pretty clear for what ever reason Torg have a deep seeded hatred for Martok so it's very likely that instead of giving Martok the honor of Death Torg prefers to force him to live the rest of his life in dishonor as a prisoner. Also won't be surprised if he gloats about him killing Martok's Grandson directly to Martok.

It would be interesting if it true. It have shown that Torg was always dishonorable baktag that wanted to take over the Empire even back then, and could give us another Villain who is completely Irredeemable in a similar way Hakeev was.

Also this might be an interesting story development for J'mpok, there are lot of fans that didn't take a shine to J'mpok but this could be an interesting way to somewhat redeem him. It's unlikely that J'mpok suspected that Martok was replaced by an impostor (again), but maybe J'mpok saw "Martok" doing actions and giving orders that will lead the Empire and its People to complete ruin, and maybe he challenged the "Chancellor" because out of concern for the Klingon People and believe if victorious the Empire will be saved, and seeing that killing the Impostor would have been a major setback to Torg's plans it probably did.

Also if Martok survive this Episode it will be interesting to see what happen next in regards to Klingon leadership.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    I am really glad to see JG joining the game. I loved his character on TV and it is always good to see more love for the Klingons.
  • furiontassadarfuriontassadar Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    This is probably the most excited I've been for a guest voice actor from one of the original shows in a long time.

I'm not a huge Klingon fan, but I did always like Martok. Worf may have had a heavily idealized notion of what a Klingon warrior should be, but I always felt that Martok came the closest to living up to that ideal. :)
    "There will never be enough blood to wash away my need for vengeance! A single world...I could destroy a million worlds and it would not be enough! Your existence is an insult to the memory of my people! I will continue my fight, even if I must fight alone!"
  • mephizton2092mephizton2092 Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    "Reports of our depression are vastly exaggerated."
    "Anyaway, we don't often see a sense of humor in Section 31."
  • sophia#6343 sophia Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    This is wonderful news!
    “The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    Very pleased that Martok is coming to STO.

I do hope, however, that the story does show how shameful it is for a Klingon to remain alive after defeat. Die in battle, go to Sto'vo'kor. Get captured alive, shame yourself and also three generations of your bloodline. Martok should be glad that his son never saw him so dishonored because his son would have had to kill him. Also, Martok should spend the remainder of his life attempting to redeem his family honor and thus earn his son's passage into Sto'vo'kor, even though Martok will never join him there. Bonus: Lady Sirella joins her husband in dishonor! That divorce should be memorable.

Martok could survive the shame of his first imprisonment because he was gathering intel on a previously unknown enemy. He can't make that claim in Torg's case.

Jm'pok is similarly screwed if Martok's status becomes common knowledge in the Empire because he usurped power from a living chancellor against custom and law, and told whopper of a lie to support his claim. He then hid from his shame by performing the exceedingly dishonorable act of imprisoning his rival and not allowing the prisoner to regain his family's honor via ritual suicide.
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    brian334 wrote: »
    Very pleased that Martok is coming to STO.

I do hope, however, that the story does show how shameful it is for a Klingon to remain alive after defeat. Die in battle, go to Sto'vo'kor. Get captured alive, shame yourself and also three generations of your bloodline. Martok should be glad that his son never saw him so dishonored because his son would have had to kill him. Also, Martok should spend the remainder of his life attempting to redeem his family honor and thus earn his son's passage into Sto'vo'kor, even though Martok will never join him there. Bonus: Lady Sirella joins her husband in dishonor! That divorce should be memorable.

Martok could survive the shame of his first imprisonment because he was gathering intel on a previously unknown enemy. He can't make that claim in Torg's case.

Jm'pok is similarly screwed if Martok's status becomes common knowledge in the Empire because he usurped power from a living chancellor against custom and law, and told whopper of a lie to support his claim. He then hid from his shame by performing the exceedingly dishonorable act of imprisoning his rival and not allowing the prisoner to regain his family's honor via ritual suicide.

unless...Jm'Pok was also decieved. Consider this potential; The man Jm'pok killed wasn't Martok, but an infiltrator, possibly even an UNDINE infiltrator, but it could just as easily (or more easily) turn out that Martok had been replaced BEFORE the duel, and what Jm'pok killed was an imposter.

I say that, because if Jm'pok were involved, the LAST thing he would want, is KDF regulars digging into Torg's business dealings, it's blackmail worthy material. The chancellor specifically sent the player character(s) to dig into the attacks on House Martok, then backed them to the hilt when they went after his buddy Torg.

which is not the behaviour of a co-conspirator who could be destroyed by this information getting out.

Jimmy-pok would be unlikely to support Martok's house (either passively or actively) in these matters if he had a hand in Torg's treachery. (that he was taken by surprise by it, and pushed for Discommendation speaks volumes), which leads me to the conclusion that this is lining up to be a REAL tragedy-two good men who will have to kill each other thanks to th e deceit of a third.

Interesting point, but whether he knew or didn't, (and how could he ever prove he didn't know?) it still renders Jm'pok's ascension to the Chancellory illegitimate, and it does nothing to improve Martok's position. As of the discovery that Martok is alive the Empire will have no legitimate chancellor and a high council filled with new, untested, heirs to the old council.

And Lady Sirella still joins Martok in dishonor.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    Martok has been captured alive before. I am not convinced that this means anything permanent to the honor of the Klingons.
    I suspect if he manages to escape custody (and isn't just rescued helplessly from his cell), he'll do fine.

Nothing is more honorable than victory.

Unless Cryptic plans some ... redecoration on Q'onos, I suspect that there will at least be a way for J'mpok to stay in his position. Since Kahless is dead, maybe it's time for a new Emperor?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Martok has been captured alive before. I am not convinced that this means anything permanent to the honor of the Klingons.
    I suspect if he manages to escape custody (and isn't just rescued helplessly from his cell), he'll do fine.

Unless Cryptic plans some ... redecoration on Q'onos, I suspect that there will at least be a way for J'mpok to stay in his position. Since Kahless is dead, maybe it's time for a new Emperor?

well going by the early kdf missions he'll be fine if he kills a few guards on the way out. I'ld help martok become emperor.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    And there's 2 things we should remember about Martok, 1. He never wanted to be the leader of the klingons that's why he was chosen for the job in the first place (well that and the fact that his sense of duty would compel him to do his best at job if given it). 2. Martok is intelligent enough to know that his duty to the Klingon Empire is more important then his personal glory.
  • allyoftheforceallyoftheforce Member Posts: 735 Arc User
    Awesomeness on so many levels. You guys need to give Martok that killer goatee and stache in game that JG has on IRL!

Pretty much this. While dying in battle is by far the proper way to go, getting captured does not necessarily lead to dishonor. For one thing, it depends on the manner in which you were captured. If Torg, for instance, used treachery, such as poisoning or some such to render Martok unconscious, the dishonor would more fall on Torg for using less then direct means when battling Martok.

Likewise, Killing Torg (which lets all be honest, is LONG overdue), for dishonoring Martok, would also set things right.

I am confident that the developer will do right by our Chancellor and Martok will reclaim his rightful place in Klingon society.