test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

S13.5 only 2 weeks away.

Yes that is right s13.5 and it's one episode is coming in just a few weeks. Anyone think that the pace of season updates is accelerating? Oh and we will be on a mission to rescue a famous Star Trek DS9 character from a secret prison!!
But wait, keep it a secret until the episode drops? Nah just read the blog, they give away who it is already. Suspense anyone??

And p.s - when is my Borg lock box being released!!???

Comments

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    not really accelerating

half-seasons have always been released 2.5-3 months after their preceding season; this one is no different​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    What's different this time is the lack of content. I guess they must have moved almost all the STO developers to their new MTG game or something.
  • starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,184 Arc User
    For what is worth calling this a 0.5 update it's mere beyond ridiculous. This is probably the most miniscule update brought to you by STO. A patch YES but a 0.5 update mouse-35.gif​​
  • newromulan#1567 newromulan Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    I agree. It is silly calling it a half season. All I can say is season 14 better be the best ever or STO is in trouble. An expansion into the Gamma quadrant would be a good start.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    The arena of Sompek and the new Kobayashi Maru scenario (aka No-Win scenario) would be perfect end game additions. Imagine that, end game content - at last! But sadly that's not what we're getting. Kobayashi Maru is not part of the new (half-)season and will be gone after only a few days... and who knows how long it's gonna take till we see the arena of Sompek again...
  • newromulan#1567 newromulan Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    > @szim said:
    > The arena of Sompek and the new Kobayashi Maru scenario (aka No-Win scenario) would be perfect end game additions. Imagine that, end game content - at last! But sadly that's not what we're getting. Kobayashi Maru is not part of the new (half-)season and will be gone after only a few days... and who knows how long it's gonna take till we see the arena of Sompek again...

How can we have endgame content that is not some kind of new grind or gamblebox? Is that possible?
  • lighte007lighte007 Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    not really accelerating

half-seasons have always been released 2.5-3 months after their preceding season; this one is no different​​

Even though Season 13 did come out 3 months after the last one. I think they are truly accelerating game updates.
    The Rising of the Delta is the best expansion ever, and people love it to death because it is a good day to die in the endless struggle for supremacy of your own conviction. (A spin off of the Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and all the players love it.)
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    lighte007 wrote: »
    not really accelerating

half-seasons have always been released 2.5-3 months after their preceding season; this one is no different

Even though Season 13 did come out 3 months after the last one. I think they are truly accelerating game updates.

they aren't; it just seems that way because they've been dumping far more sales, events and promos on us since S13 than they have in the past

seems a bit like desperation, in a way...methinks their quarterly profit earnings weren't very good this quarter, and i'd wager their metrics might've taken a hit too​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Mirror and Summer were already scheduled. Nothing to do with Metrics. Remember that Mirror/Crystalline/Breach are annual, and typically happen around the same times. Summer and Winter are also annual, and happen the same time every year.

Honestly I don't see desperation at all. I just see regularly scheduled events. We will probably have our usual event drought until Crystalline in the Fall after Summer's over.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    2016 was an exception, probably due to the extra work of getting the console versions launched. Go look on the wiki at 2014 and 2015 releases and you'll see a 3 month pattern of major releases like full seasons and expansions and half seasons, even if they aren't called that when they follow after an expansion. Usually one at the end of January to correspond to the Anniversary event, then late April, late July and late October, give or take a few weeks. They basically do a season,an expansion or a half season for each new lockbox, and those are solidly on a 3 month cycle.

Some did have more story content than others, but those were almost always revamps of older episodes with a single new episode at launch, and then no more new episodes until the next significant release/lockbox. The only real exception was during the Iconian War, where we kept getting new episodes with very little gap between their featured periods for the duration of that story.

Scroll to the bottom for a table of releases with dates.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    I was planning to take a break from STO after the Summer Event, but I may delay that for a couple of weeks now.
  • robyvisionrobyvision Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    The perfect end game adition would be a space arena called something like dps. You would play alone with bots and the goal would be your dps. The UI would show you some extra stats and would pop up to10 new diagrams of statistic information based of your dps. That would give you a brain melting euforia. At least I think it would.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    they aren't; it just seems that way because they've been dumping far more sales, events and promos on us since S13 than they have in the past

seems a bit like desperation, in a way...methinks their quarterly profit earnings weren't very good this quarter, and i'd wager their metrics might've taken a hit too​​

STO gets more lively and that's a bad thing?
    But wait, keep it a secret until the episode drops? Nah just read the blog, they give away who it is already. Suspense anyone??

And who says Martok being alive is the biggest twist of a story involving protomatter, the Tzenkethi, Son'a, a disgraced Klingon house, and mysterious crystals which could well turn out to be another species eggs? ;)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,792 Arc User
    For what is worth calling this a 0.5 update it's mere beyond ridiculous. This is probably the most miniscule update brought to you by STO. A patch YES but a 0.5 update mouse-35.gif

I had to agree with this as well....tiger-28.gif​​
    DUwNP.gif

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    a new admiralty track and new goals to achieve while playing the game? How is that NOT a .5 update? Regular patches don't add that much new stuff.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    Is a new admiralty track even new content? It's probably a copy and paste of the Klingon track, save they replaced "Warrior" with "Merchant"

But in any case, it's just replacing the Romulan track. Instead of doing that once I've done the tour of duty mission for the Klingon, I will fill up the Ferengi track instead.

I mean, yeah, it's nice that I will now get more dilithium instead of 4 universal upgrades (basically worth 15k dilithium)

(Unless you are being sarcastic, then I apologize)
  • fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    Im all over a new admiralty campaign it's been a while. And I'm going to be cautiously optimistic about endeavour it seems like a cool concept that's filling in the missing gap we used to have in the old hourly events calendar (only across a.few days it looks like.. I'm guessing a week a pop or so?)
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    The blog for it said 3 endeavors per week. Monday and Tuesday for one, Wednesday and Thursday for he next, and Friday, Saturday and Sunday for the final one each week.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • veeger#9876 veeger Member Posts: 52 Arc User

There's going to come a point where they're going to have to create some substantial content to keep people interested because once a person has the items they desire in the game there's little point in running most content as the bulk of it is either too buggy or too binary.

I wish this game was like other big franchise games, expansive and immersive. I wish like the Star Trek movies and tv shows STO pushed boundaries and innovated. It seems very wrong that the entire focus of STO revolves around costumes, like the freemium games on the mobile stores. That PWE could just leech on to the franchise and siphon a little blood for itself seems beneath Star Trek.