test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

J.G. Hertzler Joins the Cast of Star Trek Online

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
We're extremely excited to announce that J.G. Hertzler, Martok from Deep Space Nine, has joined the cast of Star Trek Online!

Full details here:
https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10552414

Comments

• kisho3bkisho3b Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    That is awesome.
  • jiralinriajiralinria Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    So much YES!!!!!!!! Awesome <3
  • onyxheart1onyxheart1 Member Posts: 347 Arc User
    damn but i called it when Cold Dishes came out

SUPER excited for Martok to be back, AND voiced by JG Hertzler...seriously one of the greatest character actors in ST history right there
    KDF for Life! <3 Romulan at Heart <3 Fed cause they made me ~ :P
    signature-omega.png
  • megawolf0megawolf0 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    So Martok is back and is being a prisoner to Torg. Maybe when they escape they run into him and get him out and the mission then will be us responding to a distress signal and rescue them while dealing with House Torg. Explains why Torg hates J'Mpok since they possibly have him.
  • bridgernbridgern Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    Best thing ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Bridger.png
  • themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    So J'mpok is in some deep targ poo...
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    Between this awesome character addition and the recent appearance of Tony Todd's General Rodek, at least KDF fans can feel a little love from the game.
  • giliongilion Member Posts: 686 Arc User
    This is freaking amazing... but PLEASE give me the option to not see these types of blogs. I want to be surprised when I see him in-game :(
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    This was a great interview, Hertzler seemed like a really cool guy. I guess I could forgive him for running a Bat'leth through me, if it was really the honorable thing to do.

Martok certainly was one of the coolest Klingons in the Star Trek franchise, if not the coolest. He seemed to represent the Klingon culture* in the best possible way, without being conflicted with his Federation upbringing or being a two-faced politician.

And man, I kinda get envious seeing that he was actually at Crpytic Studios and interacted with the team.

Imagine working at a computer game studio.
    Imagine working at a computer game studio that's working on a Star Trek game.
    Imagine working at a computer game studio that's working on a Star Trek game and an actual Star Trek actor is visiting.
    Imagine working at a computer game studio that's working on a Star Trek game, an actual Star Trek actor is visiting, and you get to show off what you're working on.
    Imagine working at a computer game studio that's working on a Star Trek game, an actual Star Trek actor is visiting, and you get to show off what you're working on and he is impressed.

The likeness looks great, too. I wonder if any ZBrush was involved in making it.
    Surprisingly young looking, though.

*) as envisioned during the TNG/DS9 era. Personally I'd prefer more of the John M. Ford Klingons than Ronald Moore Klingons.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Martok! Martok! Martok!
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    i really missed these type of interviews ,from our cm's. thanks kael. and nice video editing...
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    Martok, the greatest leader in the history of the Klingon Empire (since Kahless at least) has returned!

Uh hmm, anyway, you can't just kill off one of the best Star Trek characters ever "off screen" without a darn good reason behind it. And it seems that even though it took 7+ years to get that reason, we the players are finally going to get that.

With all this said, I actually like J'Mpok. I have always thought though that it was extremely suspicious how he came to power though, according to the official lore. From a game perspective I see why they changed the guard, and hopefully with the story they have in store for us, I wonder just how much longer J'Mpok will be around. Could they be playing twist upon twist upon twist?

Add in that J.G. Hertzler is returning to voice the role, and this goes from being pretty dang sweet to friggin' EPIC! For me at least. Maybe this is a sign of things to come and there's hope we can get Jeffrey Combs to do some voice work for the game as well. *fingers crossed*

Considering he's being held in the same prison as the other prisoners of Torg (BOO!) which is apparently at least partially run by the Son'a, I imagine he's been experimented on with metaphasic radiation, just like Kavat’kara from the "A First's Tale".
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Well, this is rather unexpected. I have to say I am delighted and intrigued. Though I don't envy House Martok's enemies. Clearly helping Sirella out that one time was a wise move. Definitely don't want to be on the naughty list when Daddy Martok comes home.
  • goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    He's great! Wonderful!
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    qt9mB43.gif

#NotMyChancellor #NeverJ'mpok​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    iamynaught wrote: »
    I imagine he's been experimented on with metaphasic radiation, just like Kavat’kara from the "A First's Tale".

Ohh that makes sense!
  • mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    Wow, first bit of news for STO that I've actually been excited about for a very long time.
  • blazeritterblazeritter Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    From days of long ago, from uncharted regions of the universe, comes a legend. The legend of Martok, Defender of the Universe. A mighty warrior - loved by good, feared by evil.

As Martok's legend grew, peace settled across the galaxy. On planet Earth, a galaxy alliance was formed. Together with the good planets of the sector they maintained peace throughout the universe - until a new, horrible menace threatened the galaxy.

Martok was needed once more.

This is the story of a super force of space explorers. Specially trained, and sent by the Alliance, to bring back...

Martok, Defender of the Universe.

[synthesized voice] Martok, Defender of the Universe
  • velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    Does Martok know that his son was killed by the House of Targ? Will hold a grudge toward towards Worf for not protecting him? What really happened during the closed personal battle between Martok and J'mpok for the head of the Klingon Empire? I hope these questions get some answers. Also, will Martok retake his position and will J'mpok yield?
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • chozoelder2ndchozoelder2nd Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    Is it July 18th yet?
    SP9Pu.gif
  • hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    Can you dig it? CAAAAAAAN YOU DIG IT?!?!

• spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    This was a great interview, Hertzler seemed like a really cool guy. I guess I could forgive him for running a Bat'leth through me, if it was really the honorable thing to do.

Martok certainly was one of the coolest Klingons in the Star Trek franchise, if not the coolest. He seemed to represent the Klingon culture* in the best possible way, without being conflicted with his Federation upbringing or being a two-faced politician.

*) as envisioned during the TNG/DS9 era. Personally I'd prefer more of the John M. Ford Klingons than Ronald Moore Klingons.
    What IMHO made Martok better then your typical klingon character was that he had hint of the TOS klingons in the way he acted, honorble yes but intelligent and not afraid to use it to his advantage, also like Worf he seemed to have sense of internal honor so he could play klingon politics without loosing his sense of honor.
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    This is going to be great, but I would like to propose a small addition to the old Marvel comics rule:

"No Klingons stay dead unless they're Worf's direct family."

I'm curious how this ties into Tzenkethi, though.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • megawolf0megawolf0 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    Maybe the S'ona are working with the Tzekenthi or something. Just one theory.
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    A most excellent addition to STO. Well done Cryptic & I look forward to seeing how Cryptic utilizes J.G. Hertzler's Martok in the game. Qa'pla!
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,449 Arc User
    Let the civil war begin! It will be glorious battles and deeds worthy of song... and heavy drinking.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Martok, the greatest leader in the history of the Klingon Empire (since Kahless at least) has returned!

Uh hmm, anyway, you can't just kill off one of the best Star Trek characters ever "off screen" without a darn good reason behind it. And it seems that even though it took 7+ years to get that reason, we the players are finally going to get that.

With all this said, I actually like J'Mpok. I have always thought though that it was extremely suspicious how he came to power though, according to the official lore. From a game perspective I see why they changed the guard, and hopefully with the story they have in store for us, I wonder just how much longer J'Mpok will be around. Could they be playing twist upon twist upon twist?

Add in that J.G. Hertzler is returning to voice the role, and this goes from being pretty dang sweet to friggin' EPIC! For me at least. Maybe this is a sign of things to come and there's hope we can get Jeffrey Combs to do some voice work for the game as well. *fingers crossed*

Considering he's being held in the same prison as the other prisoners of Torg (BOO!) which is apparently at least partially run by the Son'a, I imagine he's been experimented on with metaphasic radiation, just like Kavat’kara from the "A First's Tale".
    This reminds me of a fan theory that B'Vat doesn't actually die in the Fed storyline, and that an Undine imposter is killed in his place. The Fed-KDF war makes more sense if the primary motivating factor is actually an enemy agent running a false-flag operation.... which is ironic given that the Undine's motivation for all of this was also a false-flag operation.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Martok...lives? I never would've believed...the rightful chancellor still draws breath? And held captive by that gutless pa'taQ Torg?

:s

RAISE THE BATTLE BANNERS!

BREAK OUT THE BLOODWINE!

SHARPEN THE BLADES!

LOAD THE TORPEDOES!

ENGAAAAGE THE CLOAKING DEVICE!

KLINGOOOOOOONS!!!!

To Battle!!!

We will free Martok, he will release the blood from Torg's throat...and then we will deal with J'mpok.

I will not rest until we take this baktag here! Put him in that Torpedo There! And launch him into that star THERE!
    From days of long ago, from uncharted regions of the universe, comes a legend. The legend of Martok, Defender of the Universe. A mighty warrior - loved by good, feared by evil.

As Martok's legend grew, peace settled across the galaxy. On planet Earth, a galaxy alliance was formed. Together with the good planets of the sector they maintained peace throughout the universe - until a new, horrible menace threatened the galaxy.

Martok was needed once more.

This is the story of a super force of space explorers. Specially trained, and sent by the Alliance, to bring back...

Martok, Defender of the Universe.

[synthesized voice] Martok, Defender of the Universe
    Well Done Sir....Well Done.
    spiritborn wrote: »

What IMHO made Martok better then your typical klingon character was that he had hint of the TOS klingons in the way he acted, honorble yes but intelligent and not afraid to use it to his advantage, also like Worf he seemed to have sense of internal honor so he could play klingon politics without loosing his sense of honor.

Actually I think that Martok's best attribute was that he was the best normal Klingon society had to offer. But the emphasis on the normal. Martok was like the Sarek to Worf's Spock. Worf is a book Klingon, which in many ways made him the most pure philosophical Klingon. Martok always had the lived in experience that Worf lacked, but he still had all of Worf's true nobility. Also unlike a lot of Klingons Martok could see just how great Worf's purity was and how great it made him. But Martok grew up in all of it, the muck, the grime, the downside of Klingon Society and persevered and succeeded in spite of it. Because of that he was well rounded, hungry, but since he wasn't born a noble, he also had the respect and understood the things that didn't make the empire great. He knew the downside.

As for the interview, more like O.G. Hertzler amirite guys?

And to echo everyone here, this is legitimately, actually, literally epic news on a video game scale. You guys won't be able to top this unless you get Jeffrey Combs, Andrew Robinson, or any of the captains in here. For the time being, you've basically peaked, congratulations.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User

This reminds me of a fan theory that B'Vat doesn't actually die in the Fed storyline, and that an Undine imposter is killed in his place. The Fed-KDF war makes more sense if the primary motivating factor is actually an enemy agent running a false-flag operation.... which is ironic given that the Undine's motivation for all of this was also a false-flag operation.

Like I said, twist upon twist upon twist? I guess we'll see where this is all going (not) Soon™ enough.

I've always had that fan theory in the back of my head since I first ran the Doomsday Device mission AFTER finding out about the Iconian involvement later on in the story line. When B'Vat says essentially that "there are only the strong and the weak", that sounds an awful lot like the Undine mentality. So yeah, I could buy that at some point B'Vat was replaced by a "foul shape-shifter".

It would even fit in with this story of Martok's return considering that B'Vat was the arbiter of succession for J'mpok. Perhaps not only is/was B'Vat an Undine, but perhaps even J'mpok? Torg? Who knows just how far this has spread.

If true.

It's all speculation, of course, but my mind does like to travel along the side paths, the choices not taken. Go figure, some of my favorite comics growing up were the What If...?! books from Marvel and the Elseworld stories from DC.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.