test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Things Feds are envious of...

staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
So, someone said to me the other day that the way to avoid being bitter is to list things to be grateful for. So I thought it might be instructive to list things that the KDF has which Feds don't get....

(1) Standalone Dynamic Power Redistributor console. Market watchers have noted the way that the price of 23C Dreadnoughts has climbed over time, currently sitting at around 450M EC for a ship that's essentially a 23C-skinned command cruiser. Cosmetics aside, this is being attributed to the included console, which gives both a strong heal and a massive damage boost. Klingons can obtain said console for a comparatively modest 18-20M EC on the exchange. It's the closest thing now to what the leech used to be.

(2) Kelvin Dreadnought Console and Trait. There were many howls Fedside when it was announced that in lieu of having to buy the Kelvin Timeline dreadnought, Klingons could get its console and trait separately at a much lower cost. Both are very worthwhile! The same is true for the NX Refit's console and trait, although these have not received the same attention by dint of being much more situational.

(3) The Fleet K't'inga. The 23C R&D Promo rerelease has once again unleashed the torrent of Trek fans lamenting the fact that they can't get the iconic 23C ship in a lower-powered, freely available form. Guess what.... Klingons can. The T5U Fleet K't'inga may not be a DPS powerhouse but it's a solid, usable ship (which is very appropriate really) that can skin as either the movie or TOS versions.

(4) Uniforms. There may not be a huge number of KDF uniforms, but they cover all bases (other than the near-feral 22C look) and are free. Other factions have to pay to put their characters in 23C uniforms or have entire crews in bikinis.

(5) Gorn and Orions. Don't do this myself, but many people love the idea of giant lizardmen and green skinned space babes in mass quantities.

IMO the T6 Kor also deserves an honourable mention, because its combination of Universal seating and EBC gives it a range of options as an exotic/torp stealth bomber that no other ship can replicate.

Comments

• goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Thanks for the tips on those consoles. I'm going to look for them to see if any of my builds could benefit from their use.

Fleet K'tinga T5-U...definitely still a usable/playable ship. Good turn rate for a battlecruiser. Hull and shields still robust enough to be able to take a beating. 4 forward and 4 aft weapon layout. Decent/simple bridge officer layout. Not a bad vessel at all.

(Edited) Dynamic Power Redistributor console - I use this console! It is very effective.
    Post edited by goodscotch on
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    That Klingon men look hot as hell in their armor. :)
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • aleluya#3402 aleluya Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    The biggest selling point of the KDF faction is his freedom compared to the Feds, where you pretend you are peaceful human while going in a killing spree in every mission.
    tlhIngan maH! taHjaj!
    What? We get to kill, too. :)

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • aleluya#3402 aleluya Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    What? We get to kill, too. :)

I know, but we are warriors, not prey, explorers or seekers of knowledge. :D
    tlhIngan maH! taHjaj!
    edited June 2017
    You forgot liars on that list, obviously.
    I have no idea what Cryptic was thinking when they made the first couple of "arcs" on the Fed side story.

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    staq16 wrote: »
    (3) The Fleet K't'inga. The 23C R&D Promo rerelease has once again unleashed the torrent of Trek fans lamenting the fact that they can't get the iconic 23C ship in a lower-powered, freely available form. Guess what.... Klingons can. The T5U Fleet K't'inga may not be a DPS powerhouse but it's a solid, usable ship (which is very appropriate really) that can skin as either the movie or TOS versions.

Unfortunately it cannot. Though the awful launch era model is probably the K't'inga, the option labelled as 'D7' is just a K't'inga without the raised patterns on the wings. It cannot use the actual D7 skin made for AoY, that is exclusive to the Temporal ship.
    It can however use the unnamed 2409 ship labelled only as 'K't'inga Refit' as well as the Koro't'inga, both of which look amazing in the Type 3 refit material.
    staq16 wrote: »
    (4) Uniforms. There may not be a huge number of KDF uniforms, but they cover all bases (other than the near-feral 22C look) and are free. Other factions have to pay to put their characters in 23C uniforms or have entire crews in bikinis.

Not a single canon Klingon uniform can be replicated in STO with the sole exception of the KT robes. The TOS version is the most complete but as per usual, there are large parts of it exclusive to NPCs and it still lacks a few options from TOS and TAS. The TUC uniforms aren't even slightly in-game nor are the minor TOS film era variants like Klaa's sleeveless version. Only the very basics of the TNG uniforms are present, the AGT and Endgame variants are completely absent. Compare that to the Federation who are only completely missing maybe 3 uniforms and all the main ones can be near universally completed to on-screen specifications.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • terlokiterloki Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    Another thing we have that Fed-side doesn't: Honor Guard armor. Best looking armor set costume, hands down. To heck with your MACO gear, we have capes!
    Admiral Katrina Tokareva - U.S.S. Cosmos, Yorktown-class Star Cruiser
    Admiral Dananra Lekall - R.R.W. Teverresh, Deihu-class Warbird
    General J'Kar son of K'tsulan - I.K.S. Dlahath, Vo'devwl-class Carrier
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    We had capes before they were cool, lol. All of my Red side Chars and their entire Away Teams style the KHG gear. And I got it before they eliminated the Beves options. So my female KDF chars and BOffs can do the Lursa thing.

Nearly everything the SpoonFeds have which they really want was part of the Red Side first. We were stylin' an' profilin' and there were tons of threads on the old forums about carriers and cloaks and other stuff. How it was unfair KDF could launch fighters and cloak and SpoonFeds could not.

So they all drank the WantitAde and Gecko gave it all to them. Because in the end STO isn't about Star Trek at all.
    It is about profits.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.