test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

My build got derped mang!

hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
edited June 2017 in The Academy
So I just recently rejoined the game after a ~6 month hiatus (mostly playing fallout and SC2). My return was brought about by the summer event and the desire to get a new ship.

And what did I come back to? A "fun adjustment" and massively weakened leech.

Now I am no stranger to nerfs. I was around when the embassy console plasma explosions didn't have their base damage reduced by 50% and were still able to crit (creating some rather entertainingly high single hits for beam builds), and I was around when BFAW was still "broken" (as in it didn't drop your power levels to almost zilch when you used it), and I was also around when 2 piece borg 2 piece MACO was a thing.

But this last set of... "adjustments" as cryptic likes to put it has dropped my DPS by a borderline ludicrous amount. So now I am on here, asking for help. What can I do to increase my DPS back to it's pre S13 levels? I used to be at a respectable 67k (yeah yeah, I know there are uber DPS guys who were up at 200k, but hey, I'm a DPS casual), but now after my most recent parse, I am sitting back at 47k.

So here's my current build: http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/4ad437bc6212fb2d34b212718f9a24bb

BOffs:
Cmdr Tac: BFAW1, BFAW2, APB2, APB3
Ens Tac: TT1
LtCmdr Uni (Eng): ET1, EPtS2, EPtW3
Lt Eng: ET1, Aux2SIF1
Lt Sci: ST1, HE2

Should be noted I use Intel Primary, Pilot Secondary as my specializations. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Edit: I realized that I forgot to put up my BOff layout. Has been added.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
Post edited by hereticknight085 on

Comments

• jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    So I just recently rejoined the game after a ~6 month hiatus (mostly playing fallout and SC2). My return was brought about by the summer event and the desire to get a new ship.

Now I am no stranger to nerfs. I was around when the embassy console plasma explosions didn't have their base damage reduced by 50% and were still able to crit (creating some rather entertainingly high single hits for beam builds), and I was around when BFAW was still "broken" (as in it didn't drop your power levels to almost zilch when you used it), and I was also around when 2 piece borg 2 piece MACO was a thing.

But this last set of... "adjustments" as cryptic likes to put it has dropped my DPS by a borderline ludicrous amount. So now I am on here, asking for help. What can I do to increase my DPS back to it's pre S13 levels? I used to be at a respectable 67k (yeah yeah, I know there are uber DPS guys who were up at 200k, but hey, I'm a DPS casual), but now after my most recent parse, I am sitting back at 47k.

So here's my current build: http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/4ad437bc6212fb2d34b212718f9a24bb

BOffs:

Should be noted I use Intel Primary, Pilot Secondary as my specializations. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Lets first start with i your just her for the free ship , why worry about it?

If you are gonna stay then continue reading

Ok first of they did hit the leech hard with the nerf bat, but its not useless if you make a proper build with it, BFaW also got hit aswell they fi9nally nerfed it a little.

Ok most people still use cit hit dps builds i did aswell pre nerf, after the nerf i got away from APs and crit hits and went for damage and crit damage aswell as use a dedicated disruptor build.

I started by looking over my previous build took what i was doing there and modified it, i used consoles that increaed my weapons power and kept the leech for the BFaW power drain issue its used for me like a hot start to start getting my power levels back.

Now i also added rep consoles that boosted my weapons power levels, aswell as used the terran space set since it is good or dis builds, also aded the naus 3 piece it also does a little drain efect aswell as augments your weapons damage.

Overall ive been happy with my build sure it doesnt do high DPS but i can deal the same amount damage i did before the nerf due to having my weapons hit harder with each shot , i dont get off as many volleys as a DPS junkie but i can keep up with them damage wise.

I really need to write it down so i can share my build with the community :/
  • hoffy1hoffy1 Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Honestly, your drop from 67 to 47 might actually, strange as is sounds, have improved you in relative terms. Everybody dropped quite a bit in terms of damage, especially in the low en mid section of the spectrum, since there is no more 'easy & cheap dps.'

Previously a 67k build in a pug was sorta medicore, these days, a 47k build usually is the one who carries the entire pug team.

Easy way to improve your build is to drop all the embassy consoles and go back to the 'old universals meta' because 'all investments have retrained there value'
    think about the polymorhic console, or the crystalline absorbtion console, or lobi universals.

Personally I would recommend using faw3, with apb3, and invest in some cooldown reduction mechanics. Like aux2bat or tac readines skills, cd reducing consols/traits/doffs, that sorta thing.

Leech still is 'usefull' but not as strong as it used to be, for that you have to get the Astika trait for a whooping 250mil, because gathering ec is fun, and cryptic aimed at increasing your fun. So good luck with exchange pvp. [paragraph contains satire and sarcasm]
    Post edited by hoffy1 on
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    If you've got the Tactical variant of the Scimitar, switch to it and grab a couple more Locators.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    (yeah yeah, I know there are uber DPS guys who were up at 200k, but hey, I'm a DPS casual)

that's a massive underestimation...try just shy of 600,000 DPS​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    that's a massive underestimation...try just shy of 600,000 DPS​​

Well I was gone for 6 months, and when I departed first, the current record was only 220k, held by Odin, so I probably missed the insane high parts. My apologies.

But yeah, I recently did a parse of an ISA I ran earlier, and I am now seriously considering (and by seriously considering I mean it's going to bloody happen) getting rid of my embassy consoles. The PE used to rack up an easy 10k DPS over the course of an ISA, and even with 4 mk XIVs, the total DPS of those PEs was only 1500. ONE of my BAs did higher DPS than all 4 of those consoles. I know there was a nerf, but hot damn, I wasn't expecting it to be that insane. Or I guess I am only now noticing the difference, since I only recently started parsing again.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    They do have a purpose if you have a good source of exotic plasma damage...like say TS3 with the crafted plasma torps.

I wouldn't even recommend these consoles for that purpose. The exotic plasma damage boost is minimal. You're better off getting the R&D ones for the Cat 2 exotic damage boosts and the extra science stat boost.
    My next question would be if it would simply be better to add a single torp to the build or stick with a pure energy build. I run a full torp build on my rommie sci, and it's hella fun, but it's effectiveness leaves something to be desired. However I am seeing the single torp builds more and more.
  • alcaatrazalcaatraz Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    e30ernest wrote: »
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    They do have a purpose if you have a good source of exotic plasma damage...like say TS3 with the crafted plasma torps.

I wouldn't even recommend these consoles for that purpose. The exotic plasma damage boost is minimal. You're better off getting the R&D ones for the Cat 2 exotic damage boosts and the extra science stat boost.

I don't think I've stated it explicitly anywhere but it appears to be a Cat1 to Exotic Plamsa on the Embassy consoles.
    --- @alcaatraz || I make tanks and do maths stuffs ---
    "I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul."
  • e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    Yeah it was Cat1. Before the R&D Consoles went out, I was using it to buff my PEPT clouds. The R&D Focusers were the better choice after they came out since they also buffed other damage sources.

Post S13 they may only buff exotic sources but they are still the better choice right now since they buff [b]all[/b] exotic sources (which a ship running a PEP torp is likely to have).
    Well after my most recent ISA run (which I will admit was a pug, because I was bored of Dabo on risa), I clocked in at 54k DPS, a 15% improvement over my previous 46k. Adjustments made to build:

Changed to the T5U Tac Scimitar (and now naturally run 5 locators). Removed all embassy consoles, and replaced them with the tachyokinetic converter (mk XIV UR), and Temporal Disentaglement Suite mk XIV.

Everything else is the same. So not a bad start methinks.
    Lets first start with i your just her for the free ship , why worry about it?

I'm sorry, I just realized I completely forgot to answer this part of your post XD.

I was initially just here for the free ship, but then I noticed I was no longer in the 50k channel and my ego kicked in. Being booted from a channel I worked pretty hard to get into in the first place was unacceptable to me, and as such required rectification.

On another random note... why is the word for fixing things to how they should have been (rectify), so close to a word for your bottom (TRIBBLE)? Man, english is weird...
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User

BOffs:

B.t.w. unless something has changed the current meta for specializations is temporal and strategist

This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »

BOffs:

B.t.w. unless something has changed the current meta for specializations is temporal and strategist

For non-Exotic builds Intel and Strategist is a better combo..
    Pvp..Pilot(Primary) seems to be the choice..(If your fast)..

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »

BOffs:

For non-Exotic builds Intel and Strategist is a better combo..
    Pvp..Pilot(Primary) seems to be the choice..(If your fast)..

But for DPS purposes the exotic builds (or at least exotic support) is still the way to go despite it having been downgraded.
    A drain build can be devastating these days.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.