test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[PC] 23rd Century R&D Promotion!

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
Starting today, any new R&D pack you purchase has a chance to grant you a T6 23rd Century Starship, including the newly remodeled Constitution!

Full details here:
https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10546193

Comments

• Options
    lnbladelnblade Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    Siiiiiiiiiiiiiigh

Why must you be the screen door on my submarine, Cryptic?
  • Options
    acg3269acg3269 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    Seriously?!

Why can't you guys do what you did with the T6 Sovereign and release a not-as-exclusive version for the C-store?
    You also already have a version of the T6 Rommie ship on the C-store, so why not have first ship and one of the most popular ship designs, more readily available for your customers. You have to know you would make money on this, so why not?
    I, for one, would gladly pay for a C-store T6 Connie.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Boldly going where no one has gone before!
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    acg3269 wrote: »
    Seriously?!

Why can't you guys do what you did with the T6 Sovereign and release a not-as-exclusive version for the C-store?
    You also already have a version of the T6 Rommie ship on the C-store, so why not have first ship and one of the most popular ship designs, more readily available for your customers. You have to know you would make money on this, so why not?
    I, for one, would gladly pay for a C-store T6 Connie.

cause they know they make even more $ on the gamble boxes...
  • Options
    nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    I got tempted & suckered-in on the last Phoenix Prize Pack that consumed my dilithium savings then I fell for the same pitiful odds with the R&D Amarie promotion & 50 boxes later zilch.

I'm sitting this one out, but good luck to all that participate!!!

I've learned that perhaps my designated luck with STO isn't that lucky after all.

Just in time for the new paint-job too LOL what a coincidence.

• Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
  • Options
    vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    lnblade wrote: »
    Siiiiiiiiiiiiiigh

Exactly. Rather than do a variant of these ships without the consoles and Temporal nonsense (but still T6) and put them in the Zen Store, they redo this awful even-worse-odds-than-lockbox promo. Ugh.

My hat is off and my head is bowed in profound respect to Thomas Marrone for his brilliant work in vastly improving the Connie refit model and skin, and for doing the 2nd pilot version, too! But I have an entirely different (and much less respectful) gesture for the greedy Ferengi wretches who insist on marketing these ships only as single unlocks in unconscionable gambling boxes. (Hint: the gesture is thematically appropriate, since it's named for Earth's nearest neighbor in space).

Seriously, stop with the slimy R&D "promotions", they are even sleazier than your lockboxes (with both a higher cost AND lower odds), and do nothing to enhance your reputation or customer satisfaction. They are just a shabby, scummy scam. Shame on you.

Isn't encouraging gambling a violation of Chinese law? And isn't PWE a Chinese company? Maybe their government should be made aware of this racket, because this really needs to stop.
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    I was hoping for an infinity R&D, but oh well!, i'll buy some just to show my appreciation for the great work Cryptic is doing with the ships (and to encourage them to keep updating the models).. :blush:
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    tobiashirttobiashirt Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    All I can think, coming so close on the heels of another promo, is that it's a way of gathering data on the recently implemented currency changes. Given the effect seen on the prices of the Amarie-class (saw one as 'low' as 735m), it might be that whoever's in charge wants to assess how much of an effect there will be on the 23c ships to see if the ec market needs further adjustments. D7, here I come.
  • Options
    raquel013raquel013 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    "I'm laughing cause no one believed me three years ago, boom behold the money making Tier 6 connie!!! Next thing to happen will be a c-store pet inventory bag watch and see!"
  • Options
    vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    gaevsman wrote: »
    I was hoping for an infinity R&D, but oh well!, i'll buy some just to show my appreciation for the great work Cryptic is doing with the ships (and to encourage them to keep updating the models).. :blush:

Cryptic nothing. Artist Thomas Marrone did the model and skin updates on his OWN time! A fact that deserves acknowledgement, gratitude and respect. Thank you again, Mr. Marrone!
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,392 Arc User
    Well, that was to be expected, considering the remodel of the refit.
    Not gonna bother with it as I prefer other ships but still welcome for those ready to try.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,392 Arc User
    raquel013 wrote: »
    "I'm laughing cause no one believed me three years ago, boom behold the money making Tier 6 connie!!! Next thing to happen will be a c-store pet inventory bag watch and see!"
    Hmm, you realize that's not the first time we got this promo with this ship, right? :tongue:
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    tobiashirttobiashirt Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    vorwoda wrote: »
    lnblade wrote: »
    Siiiiiiiiiiiiiigh

Exactly. Rather than do a variant of these ships without the consoles and Temporal nonsense (but still T6) and put them in the Zen Store, they redo this awful even-worse-odds-than-lockbox promo. Ugh.

My hat is off and my head is bowed in profound respect to Thomas Marrone for his brilliant work in vastly improving the Connie refit model and skin, and for doing the 2nd pilot version, too! But I have an entirely different (and much less respectful) gesture for the greedy Ferengi wretches who insist on marketing these ships only as single unlocks in unconscionable gambling boxes. (Hint: the gesture is thematically appropriate, since it's named for Earth's nearest neighbor in space).

Seriously, stop with the slimy R&D "promotions", they are even sleazier than your lockboxes (with both a higher cost AND lower odds), and do nothing to enhance your reputation or customer satisfaction. They are just a shabby, scummy scam. Shame on you.

Isn't encouraging gambling a violation of Chinese law? And isn't PWE a Chinese company? Maybe their government should be made aware of this racket, because this really needs to stop.

One thing to point out...the odds aren't actually worse on the r&d boxes. Lockboxes are something around, what, 1/200 or 250. R&D packs are more like 1/100, with a cost about twice that of keys. Neither are good odds, and I only bother to spend as much ec each event as I have spare for a few lottery tickets. Just because you personally have never gotten one or because your personal record is diiferent from 1/100 doesn't make your knowledge of the system more accurate.

If there was a c-store version the was the same aesthetically but slightly different in seating, do we really think the promo version would get any further sales? $30 to guarantee I can access a space barbie option vs ~100*$2.50 ~= $250...it's the same reason promo ship traits'll never be account-wide, nor will things like lobi costume unlocks. For better or worse, it's done this way for profit, and the almost order of magnitude greater income provides strong incentive for it to stay that way.
  • Options
    centurian821centurian821 Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    I'm not even mad. Just means that the market will be refreshed a bit by this. Time to farm that EC and grab some master keys cause papa wants a 23rd century starship
  • Options
    alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    I should have known, the hypocrisy never ends.
    We got T6 Excelsiors and Mirandas available in the C-Store, NX Class ship at a fixed price in the Lobi store, and still the Constitution is kept impossibly out of reach for 99% of the entire playerbase. The one Hero-Ship in all of Star Trek that players are denied a readily available T6 version of.
    Gotta love the timing too of re-running the R&D promo just as the ship model is updated. Coincidence? I think not.

Eventually these kind of slaps in the face become a punch in the gut.

*sigh*
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    Fix the freaking Constitution interior. The clipping of the seated crewmembers and wrong modern Starfleet talking heads is going on for months. Its a total embarrassment. Trophys are all messed up too since L2.0; and not only in the Con. interior.
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    My thoughts:
    • Great work and much respect to Thomas for the new models.
    • I'm split about how I feel about the delivery method:
      • On one hand I'm happy Cryptic has a great money-making source. Mo money for them, means better health/longevity for the game I love.
      • On the other hand, I find holding the original Star Trek Hero Ship hostage behind such a high pay wall so only the very wealthy or very lucky could ever get one, to be utterly despicable.
    • I wish anyone who tries to get one, all the best luck.
    • In the interest of open disclosure, I spent $100 during the original event, and got lucky, so I fly the Connie on my main character and I can't wait to put the upgraded TMP/WOK skin on it later today. Squeeeeee!

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Yeah, we got one R&D Promotion for these 23rd Century Ships and we then had them included in an R&D INFINITY Promotion Pack and now we are back to just the 23rd Century Ships by themselves after being in an Infinity.

All to coincide with some re-skins that one of their guys did ON HIS OWN TIME.

And they will drool all over themselves again. :(
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    nommo#5819 wrote: »

It's not a coincodence. They even said on yesterday's livestream that they want to theme their releases to get the most cash-in for their development. They said it when they explained about how they're saving Picard's holo-tommygun for a holonovel-themed content update.
  • Options
    jcsteelejcsteele Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    "Gut punch," you say? This is more of a kick in the you-know-where.

About a year ago I got burned by the first T6 23c. Lockbox "deal" along with another game, so I'm sitting this out until I see a T6 23c. Reward Pack at a reasonable price on the Exchange, which may come sooner than we think the way things may be going.
  • Options
    astarte05astarte05 Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    Soooooo does this count as the T6 Connie people have been wanting since I started playing this game in 2012?
  • Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    While I wouldn't begrudge you an opportunity to make a profit, but couldn't you take the same approach as the Sovereign?

Give two options cor claiming this ship... leave the promo vessel as the temporal variant, while adding something like a more mundane Command version for the Zen store.

Now granted, I got lucky once with my T6 Connie, it really does seem to be a slap in the face for the rest of the fan base to not have an alternate version for this very fine vessel...
  • Options
    burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    "All the new connie mods were done off the clock"

-see this promo-

-Hits the BS Button so hard it causes another big bang-

Pull the other one, its got targ skulls on it
  • Options
    ightenighten Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    Hmmm a cunning plan - this actually makes the lifetime deal seem good value - next youll be telling me if I buy a lottery tkt tomorrow Ill be a millionaire ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    orangeitis wrote: »
    nommo#5819 wrote: »

It's not a coincodence. They even said on yesterday's livestream that they want to theme their releases to get the most cash-in for their development. They said it when they explained about how they're saving Picard's holo-tommygun for a holonovel-themed content update.

Dang it I missed another livestream. Do you know by chance if it's recorded on YouTube or Twitch so someone could view?

• Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    'A dollar and a dream.'

'You can't win it if you're not in it.'
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    xariamaxariama Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    After this blatant money grab, does that mean you might actually design some KDF stuff afterwards?
    Lane Bjorn Jorgensson, Captain, ISS Voltaire

Here's a map to show how much they've screwed up the game map.