test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Biathlon gold powerboard superior and not elite quality?

So last night I finally was able to come in first place in the Biathlon (was a dam close finish too) and I discovered that the gold powerboard was only Superior quality... so I have a few other boards that are actually better then it. I then checked the gold floater, and it is one of the best you can get. So that got me wondering if this was a bug or if it was intentional?

Comments

• seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    As far as we know it's WAI. No idea what their reasoning behind this logic is but that's what we got.
  • lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    Do you have to finish first to be able to buy the gold board? I can see all three in the store but I don't think I've finished third yet.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Its WAI @borticuscryptic ??, i dont think so.. i think its a bug..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • godimasgodimas Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    lopequil wrote: »
    Do you have to finish first to be able to buy the gold board? I can see all three in the store but I don't think I've finished third yet.

Yah once you finish first, the golden board will appear in the event reputation store for you.

If you finish third, you will see the bronze board and floater
    Second, you see bronze and silver
    First, you see all three
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    godimas wrote: »
    So last night I finally was able to come in first place in the Biathlon (was a dam close finish too) and I discovered that the gold powerboard was only Superior quality... so I have a few other boards that are actually better then it. I then checked the gold floater, and it is one of the best you can get. So that got me wondering if this was a bug or if it was intentional?

Here's the quote from the official announcement.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10519433-the-summer-event-on-pc!
    Floaters and Powerboards (Ground Devices)

With the addition of the new Biathlon event, we’re releasing new Gold, Silver, and Bronze Floaters and Powerboards. Captains will need to place First, Second, or Third place in the Biathlon to gain access to them in the store. Each of the new Floaters and Powerboards have the same features as the existing Superior models.

If the floater is better than superior quality, then the floater is "bugged" based on the above quote which basically means that cosmetics should be the only difference.
  • lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    Speaking of cosmetics, do the new floaters have the shoulder nacelles that move as you steer? They seem to have been removed from the superior ones.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    I got the gold board for my Ferengi only because he's a Ferengi and it's gold,... since I've obviously won 1st at least once, and have access to the Gold, Silver and Bronze boards, I see no reason to run the race again as I can get more lolnuts elsewhere. So while that one character HAS the gold board, I'm doubtful he'll ever actually use it unless they fix what is obviously a bug, and make them elite instead of superior.
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
    reyan01 wrote: »
    corelogik wrote: »
    I got the gold board for my Ferengi only because he's a Ferengi and it's gold,... since I've obviously won 1st at least once, and have access to the Gold, Silver and Bronze boards, I see no reason to run the race again as I can get more lolnuts elsewhere. So while that one character HAS the gold board, I'm doubtful he'll ever actually use it unless they fix what is obviously a bug, and make them elite instead of superior.
    It apparently isn't a bug though. The blog advertised them as being Superior quality. Which is preposterous, but there you go.

As far as I am concerned, it is a bug. There is no logical reason to make what is effectively and award for winning a contest, to be of lesser quality than an existing item that was used to win the contest.

Despite what they may claim, it IS a bug. A bug of epic proportions. If not then they are effectively saying that, not counting the Future Flyer, there are only two Elite boards for a character to choose from, The Targ H.O.G. and the one that corresponds to your faction. Ludicrous.
  • nccmarknccmark Member Posts: 1,083 Arc User
    You paid the lower price for a superior-branded piece of equipment vs. elite.

That is not a bug.
    Item coloring is not itself a quality indicator.

Read before buying.
  • godimasgodimas Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    nccmark wrote: »

That is not a bug.

Read before buying.

I did, and have not purchased anything. Like many others here the choice to make the board superior struck me as extremely odd, so I went looking for an answer or two
    nccmark wrote: »

That is not a bug.

Read before buying.

You have to WIN the Biathlon to be able to buy the Gold, Silver and Bronze boards/floaters. Therefore they are a REWARD. To make a reward of lesser speed/quality than the item you used to WIN it, is ridiculous. Also as noted, this effectively limits players to exactly two (2) elite lvl boards. The Targ H.O.G. and your faction specific board.

As I said, only reason I got the Gold board for my Ferengi is because he's a Ferengi. He never uses it. All of my characters have Targ H.O.G.'s
  • cactolithcactolith Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    Contrast power boards with frost boots; blue quality but not a gimmick, and very useful. :P