test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A bunch of New Player Questions

gwyrdallongwyrdallon Member Posts: 40 Arc User
edited June 2017 in The Academy
So I've just recently started playing and I have a few questions about stuff that I was hoping I could get some help / advice on.

First off: Is there a way to bind multiple weapons to fire off of a single key? Other than Fire All Weapons I mean.

On a related point: is there a downside to just spamming FAW?

Next: is there any way to send Dilithium crystals to Alts?

Also: Is there a way to change the default loading screen? I really dislike the temporal agent one.

And lastly: How critical is getting a T6 ship for endgame? Is it possible to use a T5 ship for that stuff, or is T6 really required?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• ihatepwe735ihatepwe735 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    1. Generally the best approach to weapons is to right click them to turn them onto auto-fire, and then just use your fire-all-weapons keybind to keep them firing. There is an alternate keybind option in settings where you can get a keypress to fire all torpedoes.
    2. Not only is there no downside, but much of the theory of DPS in STO revolves around using traits, duty officers and bridge officer skills in ways to minimise the cooldowns of skills like FAW so they can be rotated on as often as possible.
    3. I think you can list it on the dilithium exchange and buy it from yourself and then trade the EC back by your account bank.
    4. what?
    5. That depends what you consider the endgame. T5 ships can easilly be co-erced into hitting >10kdps using nothing but Very Rare Mk XII items available from mission rewards - which can do ALL mission content (on normal) as well as partake in all PvE queues on normal and some on advanced. Which will get your foot in the door in terms of being able to earn tokens to buy reputation items as well as earn the items needed for upgrading to Epic Mk XIV / buy fleet items etc.

There are, additionally, a number of very competent T5-U ships available on the Exchange for a "mere" 2-3mil EC, and if you don't want to spend even that much, there are about 3 events a year in which a T6 ship is given away for partaking in some trivial minigame daily. The summer event is on which will reward a T6 Vorgon Carrier, but I think if you havn't started already there is not enough time left to earn the tickets required (The ship requirets you collect 1000 tickets and you can only eary 40 tickets a day doing the minigame) so you will need to have access to a stash of Lobi to make up the difference (Lobi cannot be traded and are ONLY available for opening lock boxes that require Master Keys that you can buy for Zen (usually 125 zen each) or EC (about 5mil each on the exchange).
  • gwyrdallongwyrdallon Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    Thanks for the info. In regards to my forth question I meant the screen that displays a progress bar while loading zones. The standard Starfleet one is a next-Gen looking set of boxes and bars in blue. The 23rd century version is a clunky-looking viewscreen that I find aesthetically displeasing and I was wondering if there was a way to switch it over to the other one.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    gwyrdallon wrote: »
    Also: Is there a way to change the default loading screen? I really dislike the temporal agent one.

Loading screen? I don't think so. I don't see "Temporal", anyways...I see "Escalation", right now.

But you could try changing the "Color Palette" and it will change the color in the UI.
    That is in the "Basic" tab of Options.

Not sure if it changes what you are calling the "Loading Screen" or not. I think not.

"Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • gwyrdallongwyrdallon Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    It is the boarder surrounding the add for escalation that I'm talking about.
  • arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    As to question 3. Go into the dilithium exchange, make an offer to buy zen at 25 dilithium per zen (don't worry, it won't get accepted), then switch to your other character, go into the dilithium exchange and cancel the offer, then withdraw the dilithium.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    - BFAW has an accuracy penalty when used. BFAW I has a -50 accuracy penalty, each rank above that has 10 less penalty. Using BFAW also draws aggro which means a lot of ships may decide to target you so be ready.

- You cannot change the load screen.

- Technically speaking, you do not need a T6 ship to play "end game" content. However, it does help having a T6 ship because they are sturdier and have more console slots compared to a T5 ship. They also have a ship trait that you may or may not find worth slotting. The game offers you 3 events during the year to obtain a free T6 ship; Anniversary, Summer and Winter. They may not be exactly the ship you want but they are free as long as you are willing to grind for them.

Having said that, on my secondary free to play only account all 3 of my max level characters are using the free T5 ship they selected at level 40 for end game content. The ships might blow up a couple of times in on Advanced difficulty, but they get the job done. While I have acquired all event ships since the February 2016 Anniversary, I have not bothered to command any of them yet.

Once your character passes level 50 enemies start becoming more difficult; they hit harder, have more health and use more abilities. It does not become apparent to me until I reach level 55. When you reach level 60 your enemies will be maxed out as well. A free T5 ship is good enough to be used in Advanced queue missions as long as you properly equip them to have enough firepower and resistances to do so. It is possible to play at Elite difficulty with a free T5 ship, but you will need epic Mk XIV gear from the reputation system and Fleet gear as well. Also, due to the relatively low hull strength of T5 ships it is possible to die with a single shot.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    arionisa wrote: »
    As to question 3. Go into the dilithium exchange, make an offer to buy zen at 25 dilithium per zen (don't worry, it won't get accepted), then switch to your other character, go into the dilithium exchange and cancel the offer, then withdraw the dilithium.

You can cancel the offer before switching toons. The Dil ends up in a 'bank' in the Dil Exchange that you can then take out with other toons.
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.