test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How would you bring an historical figure from Star Trek canon into the present time?

I'm curious about how the authors here would prefer to bring a character from Star Trek canon history into the (game's) present time. Choose a method of bringing someone back from the dead, and tell us who and why.
Post edited by theyredeadjim on

How would you bring an historical figure from Star Trek canon into the present time? 10 votes

Time Traveller/Temporal Agent
0%
Clone (a la Kahless)
0%
Freed from the Nexus (2410 is a return year for the ribbon)
10%
garaks31 1 vote
Cryogenic Suspension (the Popsicle option)
0%
Flint redux (immortality, or similar concept, as in the TOS episode "Requiem for Methuselah"
0%
Import from Alternative Timeline
20%
rickysmith1zebgodwin 2 votes
Other (Please elaborate)
70%
duncanidaho11markhawkmandesignationxr377thay8472starfarerthetaspiritbornredbeard#5284 7 votes

Comments

• spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,247 Arc User
    Other (Please elaborate)
    I picked "other" as my reply would be "depends on who said character was and what is his/her purpose in my story", hell I might even have it so that the mission character pretends that they're this historical character or that they're dillusional and honestly think they're this character even if they aren't.

and I'm assuming historical characters here means characters who couldn't naturally be alive at this point so for example Picard would not apply as he would be old but there's no reason he still couldn't be alive. where as for example there wouldn't be reason why Johnathan Archer would still be alive seeing as he what late 30s early 40s in 2150s and as far as we know a normal human being.
  • designationxr377designationxr377 Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    Other (Please elaborate)
    Honestly, I'd really try my best not to. So, a bit like spiritborn with the "depends on who" but also someone who thinks they are x but it turns out they really aren't.

The old classic characters are great, but, I feel it is dangerous because you could be meddling with forces beyond your control; primarily the head canons of your players.

Look at your story and the part the most important character, the player, needs to play in it. Is this classic character important to their story or just a throwback for the sake of it?

Honestly, look for the third door. Find something unexpected that tweaks with the idea. Decedents. Long ago recordings lost to time speaking across the years. Great heroes of ages past are cool, but sometimes their tombs can be cooler. Play around with the idea, try to find something different and unique. Make something you can have complete control over without fear that anyone else can go "neat" or "I like this, and it doesn't mess with any lore I know because it is so apart from it."
    edited June 2017
    Other (Please elaborate)
    with the historical characters there's also the problem that those could run afoul of the EULA as well, unless it's a character we've only heard of or there's a good reason for said character to change apprence . To use Johnathan Archer as an example again, to use him you'd have to create a custom character that's close to what Scott Bakula looked back then to be recognized as Archer since if it doesn't look anything like Archer looked like in ENT why use Archer at all but far enough that it's not a case of "replicating an actor's likeness", in 9 times out of 10 that's just too much work to be worth it.

In many ways the Legacy/myth of a historical character can be more intresting then the character itself, since unless poorly writen the character would have flaws and other aspects that might be less then what's expected but with the myth you have much more control as it doesn't have to be realistic and in fact probably won't be rather later generations embelished the myth so that the man seems like demigod rather then a mortal.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    Other (Please elaborate)
    Q.

2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    I feel I should point out that we are not allowed to use the likeness of any Star Trek actor per the EULA. You can talk about Captain Picard, but you can create someone who looks like Patrick Stewart.
  • rickysmith1rickysmith1 Member Posts: 610 Arc User
    You could always do something like in the movie 'Last Action Hero' ... a magic ticket.
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
    Episode One - A Single Moment Episode Two - Infancy Episode Three - Unto the Breach
    Episode Four - Head Of A Needle Episode Five: The Duality of Men Episode Six - Redemption Earned
    Episode Seven - Shattered Universe Episode Eight - The Gepetto Condition Episode Nine - One Room, Two Officers
    Episode Ten - Beyond The Farthest Star Episode Eleven - It's OK, It Won't Hurt Episode Twelve - A Protracted Officer
    Episode Thirteen - Somewhen Episode Fourteen - The Boy Who Lived Episode Fifthteen - Empathy
    Other (Please elaborate)
    I feel I should point out that we are not allowed to use the likeness of any Star Trek actor per the EULA. You can talk about Captain Picard, but you can create someone who looks like Patrick Stewart.
    correct me if I'm wrong but couldn't you technically talk to Picard (or any other character from ST canon) as long as you don't show their face, that could even work as twist in a story where you're contacted by someone thru "voice only" coms claiming to be "Jean-Luc Picard" only for that person to be reveal to look nothing like Patrick Steward for a bonus you can have character not even be a human (something the real Picard is/was) and I don't mean a borg drone either.
  • theyredeadjimtheyredeadjim Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Q.

Ok, now I feel truly stupid for overlooking that one. :)

BTW, this thread wasn't about a request for plot line assistance; it was intended for a little fun. I should have been more specific in the OP, and I'll make the necessary edit. While I'm at it, I'll add Q. ;)

*edit* Apparently, the poll options can't be modified, so I remain embarassed about the lack of Q. :)

Other (Please elaborate)
    Well just because you didn't need plot assistance at this point it doesn't mean we can't phrase our posts in a way that they can be helpful for someone who might be thinking about this, hence my rather broad and vague responce. ;)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Other (Please elaborate)
    Undine imposter!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    Or a Changeling. Speaking of which, a certain one of those made a cameo appearance in my latest Foundry mission, with facial features slightly tweaked to (probably) avoid EULA issues, but he's still recognizable. The in-story explanation for the differences is rather obvious (he's a Changeling so he can look however he wants, but he also hasn't taken humanoid form for awhile so he's a bit rusty at recreating the appearance we're used to).
    edited June 2017
    I also forgot Andromedan Styrofoam :)
  • zebgodwinzebgodwin Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    Here's an idea: the character's personality is uploaded into a Soong-type android body or something similar, making them effectively immortal. This would handwave away any difference in appearance.

A darker alternative - the character was assimilated by the Borg, and was only recently liberated. Years as a drone have changed the character's appearance beyond recognition.
    Foundry Missions by @zebgodwin
    Trouble in Trimble: An illicit Reman colony is under attack by Orion pirates. Will you defend the colony or arrest its only defender?
    Paying the Price: You must protect an uncontacted pre-warp civilization from Orion slavers, without violating the Prime Directive.
    The Mirror of Infinity: To save your ship, you must convince the descendants of the crew of the long-lost USS Infinity to work with their mortal enemies - their Mirror Universe counterparts. Part of the USS Infinity Foundry Roundtable Challenge.
    The Tholian Tempest: A rescue mission on a Y-class world leaves the away team stranded inside a Shakespeare play while under attack by Tholians and Gorn.
    The Trafalgar Paradox: A mission to locate a missing Starfleet vessel leads the away team into a mind-bending temporal paradox.
    Other (Please elaborate)
    zebgodwin wrote: »
    Here's an idea: the character's personality is uploaded into a Soong-type android body or something similar, making them effectively immortal. This would handwave away any difference in appearance.

A darker alternative - the character was assimilated by the Borg, and was only recently liberated. Years as a drone have changed the character's appearance beyond recognition.

while those could work there's always the question "If you're not gonna make them look like the character, why use that character in the first place?" and most general population players are probably not as familiar with the limits the EULA imposes on our work. Especially seeing how many player characters would not only break EULA if made foundry characters would do so blatantly.

That's why I think if you absolute "must" have that character, an imposter or legacy of said character are the best way to go as the imposter explains away the "why doesn't he look like the character" because he never was the character to begin with and the legacy of a character allows you to explore the personality of the character without having said character never make a physical apprence, also both of these options allow you to explain away any minor mistakes in writing compared to "true" canon or head canon of the player, since you can say the imposter got things wrong or that records were imperfect or mistaken.
    You could always do something like in the movie 'Last Action Hero' ... a magic ticket.
    I've never seen the movie, but sounds intriguing :)
    Undine imposter!
    Interesting idea. Would that be similar to the Excaliban creation of Kahless? (BTW, how many times has he been cloned or otherwise copied?)
    Or a Changeling. Speaking of which, a certain one of those made a cameo appearance in my latest Foundry mission, with facial features slightly tweaked to (probably) avoid EULA issues, but he's still recognizable. The in-story explanation for the differences is rather obvious (he's a Changeling so he can look however he wants, but he also hasn't taken humanoid form for awhile so he's a bit rusty at recreating the appearance we're used to).
    I'll have to play it :)
    zebgodwin wrote: »

Nice one, and in keeping with the concept of the thread :D

• starfarerthetastarfarertheta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    Other (Please elaborate)
    I'd prefer to leave it mystery for one to ponder. 'Cause who doesn't like a good mystery? :) Although this might only work if various clues suggesting slightly different things are left to allow one to draw their own conclusion as to what happened.
    Post edited by starfarertheta on
  • redbeard#5284 redbeard Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    Other (Please elaborate)
    Brain upload prior to natural death and then downloaded into an advanced android that looked exactly like the person. Perhaps I would bring back Kes and grant her a longer life far beyond her species. Neelix would probably like that, lol.